Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Found a promo image for Back in the barn!

tumblr_nvni3qKBpj1ucmq92o1_500.jpg

Pearl's wearing that spacesuit again, and that episode title reminds me of Back at the Barnyard for some reason... O_O

• Thumbs Up 1

smh. What makes Peridot so great again?

I like that rude skinny one with the sandwich nose.

smh. What makes Peridot so great again?

Speaking only for myself, I've always liked hammy, over-the-top villains that can make me laugh. I've also always liked redeemable villains who can grow and change over the course of the story. Peridot is both of these things.

• Thumbs Up 3

Found a promo image for Back in the barn!

Hidden Content

I swear I thought that Pearl was flying Eggman's eggmobile in that image.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thinking on the last couple of episodes, I'd love to see Peridot join the Crystal Gems full-time. And one reason is that her personality is the total opposite of the archetypal "former villain turned antihero" character. 

While these types of characters are often super-stoic, serious, and downright humorless, Peridot has all the bombastic flair of a Saturday morning cartoon villain. She breaks into maniacal laughter, tosses out petty insults, and has an absolutely enormous ego. And even as a newly-reformed hero, I'd like to think those aspects of her personality would still remain.She's hilarious, while still being interesting with her recent character development, and I think having her on the team would be lots of fun.

• Thumbs Up 4

The thing about Peridot is that she's also a bit of a sociopath :P 

Which is understandable considering she has no idea about earth culture, so she kinda needs to learn things like that for any sort of redemption arc to work.

For those who have been waiting for official Steven Universe merchandise, the drought is finally coming to an end.

Cartoon Network has signed on five new hardlines partners for its popular animated comedy/adventure Steven Universe. Funko, Just Toys International, PhatMojo, Toy Factory and Zag Toys have all joined in to created product lines based on Rebecca Sugar’s original series.

Funko and Just Toys International will launch products in time for this holiday season. Funko will offer Pop! vinyl figures based on Steven and the Gems (Amethyst, Pearl and Garnet), available exclusively at Hot Topic. Just Toys will roll out an assortment of blind bag novelty products including dog tags, fun packs, minis, 3D backpack hangers and more at specialty retailers.

In spring of 2016, PhatMojo will launch an assortment of plushes as well as foam and plush weapons inspired by the show, and Zag Toys will debut collectible mini figures, including bobble heads. Both lines will launch at specialty retailers.

Finally, Toy Factory plans to add a line of plush and assorted novelty times in 2017.

Steven Universe season two is currently airing on Cartoon Network. 

All of this sounds amazing. I know I'll be buying the Pop! figures as soon as I see them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally.  I've been wanting something collectible from this show since forever.

Something other than really basic t-shirts.

"Back to the Barn" was fantastic. Pearl was in top form here, and it's great to see she took the lesson about being her own Gem to heart back in "Friend Ship." Glad to see her character progression here.

Peridot expressed some serious anti-Pearl bigotry here, but I like that she learned something too. By the end of their conflict, Peridot begrudgingly admitted Pearl's competence as an inventor, and was willing to learn from her. This is good development for her too, even if she was mostly antagonistic in this episode.

The giant robot battle was really cool too.

All in all, great episode, looking forward to next week's!

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow...so Pearls are a slave race basically...not something I was expecting, but it really made me proud she put Peridot in her place and shined through.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked the episode more in concept than in execution.  The idea of Pearl being, as they might say on Futurama, 999,999 in a million and trying to differentiate herself from others like her is interesting.  Peridot's prejudice and eventual understanding was also a high point.  It's also nice to see Amethyst and Garnet giving Pearl some support again, which was much needed after the previous Stevenbomb's emotional roller coaster.  Of course, Pearl punching Peridot in the face was pretty epic.

But I can't say I'm too much into episodes about competitions?  I mean, it wasn't painful to sit through, it just didn't intrigue me as much as I felt it should.  It also just kind of came across as filler.  There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but it doesn't exactly attempt to mask the fact that it's trying to lengthen the plot out a little.  I did find Steven's score tallying to be cute and charming.  The part where he gave a point to the tree was hilarious, and during the painting, I just love how he put "SUBJECTIVE" on it.

Basically, it's a good episode.  I just don't particularly care about the framing.

Maybe he wasn't supposed to reveal that information yet, or plans have changed somehow.

Maybe he wasn't supposed to reveal that information yet, or plans have changed somehow.

Apparently plans have changed and people think it's in preparation for another Steven Bomb at the end of November before the December break (which is for all CN shows).

Don't link that blog for it. That blog is a fan-blog.

As a heads up though, while I WAS going to link the latest tweet that wasn't the tweet that got deleted, I can't find it anywhere. It's not on Matt's blog, it's not on Lauren's; it's not anywhere.

Matt deleted the tweet that said "see you in 2016!" and now the other one is gone. Something's up.

Edit: Found it! Seems it was deleted because it had the incorrect time on it. It might not be as long as 2 and a half months.

Edited by Mogtaki

loved "Too Far." This episode did so much for Peridot, and I was smiling from start to finish. Definitely a high note to go out on as we enter the hiatus!

This was the first time in the entire show that Peridot has ever put her own well-being aside for the sake of someone else. While it's true that she needs the Crystal Gems in order to stop the Cluster and save herself, she still put herself at enormous immediate risk by leaping in front of the drill to knock Amethyst out of the way. I think it's clear from the context of the episode that she was genuinely concerned for Amethyst, and not just in an "I need you alive so that you can help me" way.

Why is this important? Because until now, just about any nice thing Peridot did could have been excused as manipulation or pragmatic civility (standing up for Steven, begrudgingly complimenting Pearl, etc.). This was the moment where we saw Peridot demonstrate unambiguous empathy for someone else, and I think it's an incredibly important part of her growth as a character.

Peridot still has a lot of growing to do, but I think this episode shows that her gradual changes are indeed genuine, and that she's truly becoming a better person thanks to her time with the Crystal Gems.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, it seems by spending time and having good interaction with each Gem helps Peridot gradually understand empathy and overcoming her own bias towards each of them. It's kind of like in Avatar Season 3 when Zuko joined the Gaang and they (minus Toph) got their own episode or two bonding with him to eventually trusting him. I fully anticipate an upcoming with Peridot and Garnet interacting some more. It might possibly lead to her getting a better perspective of what fusion is than she was lead to believe on Homeworld. 

And I'm going to spoiler this next point since it might potentially happen.

What if Peridot comes to a point where she does care about Steven, the Gems and the Earth, that she'd be willing to sacrifice herself when they eventually get to the Cluster should a scenario happen? It'd be a satisfactory albeit heavily sad resolution to her redemption arc, I feel.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

The thought of Peridot dying is too sad.

Although, her saving Steven and merely getting poofed could be amazing; Especially if she reforms with a brand new star-motif on her outfit, signifying the completion of her redemption arc and her official induction into the Crystal Gems.

• Thumbs Up 5

Right so:

Matt Burnett has said it was Cartoon Network's decision to do this for ratings.

They can't comment on the schedule as they don't know.

Rest of season 2 is "probably the best run of episodes yet".

His Twitter is where this has been found.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit worried that Steven Universe is near its end. Apparently it doesn't get as much views as it "should" when a new episode airs, which is probably why the Teen Titans GO! Channel network doesn't give it much air time, not even for reruns, and a major villain is now reluctantly part of the team, a trope that to my knowledge usually happens near a show's end. If this series ends too soon, I'm gonna get slight sharp pains in my chest and stomach...

Edited by Auto

Also don't worry, it gets plenty of views and is usually in the top 3 of Cartoon Network (sometimes taking 1st and more often 2nd). Cartoon Network announced it was going to merchandise the series 'TO THE EXTREME' with figurines coming out soon in November-ish, the merchandise shop being recently stocked up with a whole bunch of new goodies and a whole bunch of neat stuff like that. It's a very popular show and they recognise that, it's just scheduling to 'try and make the most out of viewer numbers' seems to be sending the show into small hiatuses more often as they try to manipulate hype while also confusing the staff.

• Thumbs Up 2