Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Holy shit! I just gained a whole new level of respect for Peridot! And here I thought she was going to go back to being evil again!

Oh shit, Peridot, you go girl!

Spoiler

Really amazed how the episode beginning with you thinking Peridot will betray the team, and it does seem like that will happen. Until she got to talking about her mission and suggesting the Cluster shouldn't grow, showing she has genuinely learned a lot since she first arrived on Earth and perhaps even had time to think how insensitive she was last episode about Earth being colonized would've have been a good thing. She even goes to insulting the one person she established to admire in this episode. Ballsy but brave. And it ends with her being officially a Crystal Gem by the others. Awesome stuff. You defied my expectations Peridot, welcome aboard!

And fuck Yellow Diamond. What a bit- I mean, clod.

Does anyone have like a gif or image of the face yellow diamond made when peridot called her a clod lol

Peridot is my fave character on this show hands-down... I still don't care much about anybody else on it yet however. I was happy to see her not reverting to a full bad-guy again, which I was starting to get bit worried about. Watching her stand up to her boss was funny. x)

For a while I was skeptical toward the idea of Peridot being redeemed, but after this episode I'm really excited about the idea. I definitely see more potential in her after seeing her stand up to something she once held in such high regard.

On that note, I'm also now hyped for her eventual outfit change where she'll sport a star symbol instead of a diamond.

7 minutes ago, Ice Mario said:

For a while I was skeptical toward the idea of Peridot being redeemed, but after this episode I'm really excited about the idea. i definitely see more potential in her after seeing her stand up to something she once held in such high regard.

On that note, I'm also now hyped for her eventual outfit change where she'll sport a star symbol instead of a diamond.

Even better than a possibe outfit change to reflect her status as a CG? Her getting to fuse with any of the Gems.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fuck yea Peridot :D

Its amazing how 10 minutes felt like an eternity, damn good episode. And its happened, official peridemption.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, I must say...

Spoiler

Yellow Diamond is just really freakin' gigantic. Seriously, I bet she even makes Jasper looks puny if the latter was still around! I guess this does confirm beyond a reasonable doubt that, at the very least to some degree, the bigger the Gem, the more authority they have!

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, Komodin said:

Hm, I must say...

Hidden Content

Spoiler

Not to mention that both her and Blue Diamond were sitting down whenever they were on screen. Just imagine how titanic they'd be when standing on their two feet.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

I saw yellow diamond on the new ep today, she's totally as terrifying as i thought

No shit

Spoiler

Her neck literally looks like a pencil which creeps me out for most part. At least i hope when she returns for a future episode, she has something that hides it or the designers decide to make it less freaky.

But still, other than YD's rage, I love Smug Pearl just rolling it

H8iG4Jl.gif

There's literally so much fan art of her at this moment.

• Thumbs Up 4

Message Received was such a great episode, it's prompted me to do a little writeup / analysis about it. 

Spoiler

What I personally found really intriguing about Peridot's conversation to Yellow Diamond is that you could honestly pin down why there is even a conflict between Gems as a whole with this single scene. Reason (or in Peridot's terms, logic :v) ultimately takes a backseat towards whatever sense of authority, adherence to the rules, or self-righteousness the Gem(s) in question has (or in troper's terms,

honor before reason). No matter how much sense it makes, no matter how crucial it is or could be to the overreaching objective as a whole, or --in the case of Peridot-- no matter what it says about a person's judgement. I say that because the last bit is arguably the entire reason for her refusing to work on the Cluster and switch sides in the first place. What does it say about non-resistance Gems and the collective Gem Homeworld  if they end up causing somebody like Peridot breaking ties with them (even when it's done with a large amount of reluctance and remorse).

Peridot (or, the Peridot we know at least) knows and usually abides by Gem Homeworld rules, was also more than ready to fully hand over Steven and the Crystal Gems, and up until Yellow Diamond really lashed out at her for failing to do her duties, tried her hardest to balance justify her actions while still being respectful to her superiors-a superior in particular she was outright glorifying in the previous episode. But then she keeps being faulted for events that were obviously out of her control (the main ship being destroyed and leaving them without any communications, Peridot's assigned Jasper going missing, and being deserted on an alien planet...the lines about Peridot explaining it as an emergency and being dismissed with a callous "that's no excuse" really sums it up).

I absolutely bet that even if Peridot did cast out the Crystal Gems as being responsible from preventing her duties of activating the Cluster inside the Earth, Yellow Diamond's reaction would had largely been the same. It's worth noting that when Peridot came with Lapis and Jasper to Earth and they found the Crystal Gems, Jasper (a yellow gem herself) never really seemed to take the situation seriously; at least until Steven unintentionally revealed himself as being related to Rose Quartz when he used his shield to protect himself and the Gems. So if this is not necessarily a common trait of Gems in general, it certainly seems to be a common trait of yellow Gems in particular.

And speaking of which, it's rather fascinating that Peridot's Jasper is barely a passing mention. When she's reported as missing, no concern is shown on Yellow Diamond's part at all and she just considers her tirade of blaming Peridot for all that has happened. I wouldn't be surprised that becomes a particularly important plot point later on if/when Jasper finally escapes...

I really enjoyed watching this episode and I think in terms of Peridot's character development, is a remarkable step forward in being able to rub out the irrational clout that most Gems seem to be inscripted with from their inception.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really love how Peridot's whole redemption arc progressed here.

Spoiler

She doesn't want the Earth to be destroyed at all now, even though in this episode she had a shot at leaving  If self-preservation was all she cared about, she would've taken that chance without a second thought. And while a part of it seems to be emotional attachment and due to the things she's learned ("there are things on this planet worth protecting"), it's also tied directly into, well, practicality and logic. According to her, Earth apparently has qualities that could help gemkind without destroying all life on it. Why would they let the planet be destroyed if it could somehow be useful without hurting anyone?

I wonder if any of the Crystal Gems tried to use similar reasoning all those years ago...

Man, this episode really does show how far Peridot has come through all her recorder entries.

And yay, she eventually got to bond a little with Garnet, whom she hasn't really interacted with or came close to liking as much as Steven, Pearl, or Amethyst. I'm so more eager for a fusion with her in some way now.

I absolutely loved this Steven Bomb. <3 And wouldn't you know it, Peridot is a shipper. xD I can't wait for the hiatus to be over again. I wonder when we'll get new episodes... :S

Wow. This bomb focused on Peridot's character, and I'm really suprised at her massive character improvement and cute cat faces.

Another small detail I noticed, (but appears from time to time) is that tiny split of her hair...

You know before joining the CG, her hair was somewhat like this:

latest?cb=20150522214815

latest?cb=20150717232122

But after she regenerated and was with the CG it's kinda like this:

latest?cb=20151223054206

latest?cb=20150927105501

Detail is, that the tips of her triangle hair are sometimes split, a minor detail. I know it's used for closeups and detail scenes and all (And not shown in far scenes), but I've a feeling that her hair could somewhat form a star shape (I could be wrong and also it would look odd but still).

IMO, the split hair detail somewhat shows a symbolic thing for me: I think it shows that when Peridot was on Earth, and with the CG, she's being exposed to earth's resources and other stuff, and the experience with the Gems has made her open up in a new and a different way. and Peridot learns a LOT while responding to these sudden changes... *shrug*

10 minutes ago, The Ultimate Loaform said:

Wow. This bomb focused on Peridot's character, and I'm really suprised at her massive character improvement and cute cat faces.

Another small detail I noticed, (but appears from time to time) is that tiny split of her hair...

You know before joining the CG, her hair was somewhat like this:

latest?cb=20150522214815

latest?cb=20150717232122

But after she regenerated and was with the CG it's kinda like this:

latest?cb=20151223054206

latest?cb=20150927105501

Detail is, that the tips of her triangle hair are sometimes split, a minor detail. I know it's used for closeups and detail scenes and all (And not shown in far scenes), but I've a feeling that her hair could somewhat form a star shape (I could be wrong and also it would look odd but still).

IMO, the split hair detail somewhat shows a symbolic thing for me: I think it shows that when Peridot was on Earth, and with the CG, she's being exposed to earth's resources and other stuff, and the experience with the Gems has made her open up in a new and a different way. and Peridot learns a LOT while responding to these sudden changes... *shrug*

nice theory but the hair thing is not at all consistent, even on the model sheet

tumblr_nv9fazofui1smn4pqo1_500.jpg

it's just a random aesthetic thing, like how lauren zuke gives amethyst crazy bed hair

On second thought, I'd imagine it is intentional as I don't recall her hair splitting like that at all before she lost her limb enhancers. It's inconsistent, but it's there.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Honestly, I feel like there has to be some kind of connection between Pink Diamond and Rose Quartz.  I don't see why they would be so secretive about Pink Diamond unless she had something to do with a character we already know about, and Rose is clearly pretty high above other gems considering she has things like that fountain full of her tears, and an armory, and a signature weapon that isn't generated from her gem (her sword).

Also, I'm only using this spoiler box because it was already here and I don't know how to get rid of it.

So, I'm new to this thread, but over the past 2 weeks I've gotten really into this show (nevermind that I'm an imgurian and there's a user dedicated to posting creepy fetish art of the show there), and I've started watching with my dad and sister. After getting about halfway through season 1 my mom joined in, which was a big surprise. She doesn't usually get into the shows I watch with Dad and Haley, so it's weird to have a show we all watch together that doesn't involve me sitting through Jim Parsons spouting the most bottom-of-the-barrel generic 'nerd humor' in the history of mankind. We've watched up to about episode 8 of S2 (I myself have watched all of both seasons twice) and we're really looking forward to the new episodes and plotlines, along with the show's really fun writing. It has a charm to it that can flicker between the wackiest of scenarios and the most mature depiction of character emotions I've seen in a family show.

So yeah, that's basically my experience with this show so far. Looking forward to becoming more active in this thread.

I leave with this image:

5XW5Nh9.png

• Thumbs Up 3