Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Sorry to say but uh, that's a promo from last year. For the very first StevenBomb, in fact.

Edit: ninja'd XP

Edited by Celestia

Lol, yesterday I almost posted that image thinking it was something new as well.  In reality, I just wanted an excuse to post this gif.

tumblr_o1iw8hder21uqe8iio1_500.gif

I'm sure we'll see new episodes soon though.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 2/10/2016 at 11:39 AM, SpikySprinter said:

I'm obsessed with this show. Here's a question that I don't feel comfortable asking fanbase directly, though:

Greg is worryingly obese. Steven, Sadie, Rose, and Amethyst could all be considered "overweight," but they're clearly healthy.  Greg's context is physically different. He looked similar to how he does now when Rose was pregnant with Steven, and with Steven being 14 Greg must be well into his 40s. There's a set of risk factors that make him liable to have a heart attack or stroke:

- He's over 40

- He's a male

- He's a human (not a gem)

- He hasn't exercised in years aside from that brief stint with coach Steven

- He has a bad diet (I cringed when he was eating bacon in "Keystone Motel")

Obviously a big part of this show is representing different body types,  and I'm not trying to argue against that principle... but Greg is an outlier. He needs to lose some of that weight, not for his looks, but for his health. I hope the writers are honest enough to address this issue at some point. 

This is my favorite post of all time.

On 2/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, SpikySprinter said:

I'm obsessed with this show. Here's a question that I don't feel comfortable asking fanbase directly, though:

Greg is worryingly obese. Steven, Sadie, Rose, and Amethyst could all be considered "overweight," but they're clearly healthy.  Greg's context is physically different. He looked similar to how he does now when Rose was pregnant with Steven, and with Steven being 14 Greg must be well into his 40s. There's a set of risk factors that make him liable to have a heart attack or stroke:

- He's over 40

- He's a male

Obviously a big part of this show is representing different body types,  and I'm not trying to argue against that principle... but Greg is an outlier. He needs to lose some of that weight, not for his looks, but for his health. I hope the writers are honest enough to address this issue at some point. 

HOLY FUCK, I just remembered that Steven is a teenager. What is puberty even

Greg is just fat. Like you average American middle aged man fat. You make it sound like he uses a power scooter as his primary mode of transportation. Besides, fictional characters tend not to be bound to the realistic health risks unless it's a plot point. Sure, there might be an episode where he loses the fat for what ever shenannygans of the week but you can bet your ass he's going to be back to his old tub of fun by episode's end. Unless they suddenly decide Greg needs to look like a Jojo's Bazzare Adventure character from now on, Greg's always gonna be fat and not suffer the realistic consequences unless it's a plot point or until they decide to change the status quo.

Greg's appearence is iconic and a symbol of who he is. With that logic, we may as well have petition to have Homer Simpson go on a diet because one day he's gonna eat himself into a frosty donut enduced heart attack.

Besides, Greg's fat is totes adorbs. Why would you want to get rid of it?

• Thumbs Up 5

On 2/10/2016 at 5:39 AM, SpikySprinter said:

- He's over 40

- He's a male

I've been thinking about this post for awhile and it got me thinking. Greg Universe has got to be one of the best fat middle aged male characters or fat characters in general I have seen on TV. Why? Because he's not a joke. Think about it. How many fat guys have you seen on TV that look like Greg that aren't some 2D joke like Peter Griffin or when they do get development it ends up being wasted like Homer Simpson? How many kids have watched TV and saw fat characters like Carl from Jimmy Neturon, Patrick Starr and others be nothing but lovable losers at best and just another "ha ha that guy is fat therefore he's dumb or a loser nerd!" at worse. An added bonus is that Greg's design helps kids realise that fat characters are people that come in different sizes and ages along with Rose Quartz, Steven and other fat members of the show. 

Seeing Greg be portrayed as caring Dad who isn't complete jerk or maybe isn't a jerk but is oblivious to his child's problems, who actually wants to be with Steven in a healthy relationship while looking out for others in a down to earth fashion is refreshing to me. The cherry on top is he doesn't look like your normal 'blue or white collar' worker he kind of looks like a beach bum or a scruff, someone if you saw down the street you'd have a second guess as to what they are up to due to some classist attitudes people (including myself at times sadly) still have.  

Another thing is that a lot of folks who are overweight or obese are also usually of a lower income bracket. Greg lives in his van and works, probably a lot of hours at the car wash trying to save money for Steven. He probably eats what ever he can afford and I can bet your bottom dollar it'll be the cheap greasy stuff because that's what he can afford. Doesn't help that the gems are oblivious to a lot of human things including paying for damages to other people's property and jobs. Another thing would also be metabolism, even in his prime Greg wasn't exactly a string bean or ball of muscle, he was probably a bit like Steven in terms of metabolism, kind of pudgy and probably would get fatter as he ages and his body slows down though I can't say the same for Steven since he's a hybrid. 

Overall I like Greg the way he is cause he shows kids and adults that fat people are people no matter what they look like first and shows how much he's willing to do for Steven and the others in proxy.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, SpikySprinter said:

Greg is less Homer Simpson fat and more Peter Griffin fat. He doesn't need to lose ALL of that weight, not even half of it, but just some of it. He's getting to old to carry that weight safely  

We see characters going through realistic appearance changes all the time. Sadie grew leg hair in Island Adventure, for example. And it was adorable, but that's beside the point. 

And yet, how many times has Peter's weight been an issue? A handful. I doubt Greg's weight is ever going to be a major plot point, especially since SU is significally less realistic than either The Simpsons or Family Guy. I speculate one episode at best. Regardless, Greg's always gonna be phat & fat.

Being seriously concerned about the nutritional health of a fictional cartoon character is odd, to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 7

This show calls a lot of attention to his humanity, so it's not that surprising...  But given how Steven's taste for donuts is portrayed, I don't see it happening,  

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly cannot tell whether or not you think Greg is actually a living person or if you're just fucking around.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, SpikySprinter said:

I've never disagreed with you so vehemently on something. Greg is an awesome character, and I don't want him to drop dead. Same with everyone in SU, really. 

I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't want anyone to die in this show, but focusing on the health on characters is kinda pointless...it really doesn't matter, it won't matter after the show ends.

Maybe when another Slice-of-life episode happens, they'll focus on it, giving people a reason to care about that. 

I mean, an episode about healthy eating isn't out of bounds for the series, but the catalyst being "Greg is kind of fat" is sort of a pretty bad way to start and a pretty bad way to judge someone's health.  While being overweight is linked with health problems, it would be much more fitting for the spirit of the show if Greg started eating healthy to benefit his own health rather than to lose weight, since the two aren't intrinsically connected.

• Thumbs Up 3

It would actually be good to try to find some way to teach people to be healthy, since a big part of this show's demographic is the tumblr-"everyone is beautiful be proud of how unhealthy and close to death you are" groups that would rather persecute people trying to help them become healthy than just stop eating. But Greg is just kind of fat because he is, he's not like those people. He's Dad-fat, where he's got a belly because he's older and doesn't have to care as much. But if anything about that seems in any way exaggerated, it's a product of the show's artstyle, not the writers trying to make Greg into some symbol of needing to get thin. It's the same as asking Nintendo to address Wario being fat, in that who the fuck cares?

I'd much rather see an episode about why Onion doesn't have ears.

26 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

It would actually be good to try to find some way to teach people to be healthy, since a big part of this show's demographic is the tumblr-"everyone is beautiful be proud of how unhealthy and close to death you are" groups that would rather persecute people trying to help them become healthy than just stop eating.

Belittling someone as subhuman, giving completely unsolicited advice, and being selective in the unhealthy habits one has an issue with is a weird way to try to motivate anyone to do anything, which is what people who are "just trying to help" tend to do to the overweight and obese most of the time. I also don't really think Steven Universe is a show that needs to delve into episodes focused on nothing but 90s-era level of platitudes like "be healthy!!!" unless it's going to be a small side mention or an incidental catalyst for a bigger A-plot or deeper character motivations. Seriously, the day the show sinks to that kind of storytelling is the day I leave.

• Thumbs Up 6

26 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

elittling someone as subhuman, giving completely unsolicited advice, and being selective in the unhealthy habits one has an issue with is a weird way to try to motivate anyone to do anything, which is what people who are "just trying to help" tend to do to the overweight and obese most of the time.

Well I don't know about that. That's not what I really was trying to say. My point was never that those people were right in the way that they were handling things, just that people who aren't even trying aren't any less wrong. I don't think being far over a line or people not knowing how to improve your situation is an excuse to not even be trying, is what I'm saying.

I don't care a ton, to be honest. I would rather everyone stay out of everyone else's business, but at this point it's such a touchy subject that I'm just looking at stuff at the value I see, since I'm not at a point in my life that looking at being involved in either side of the argument seems appealing. I only really brought it up because those types are in the same vein of tumblr SJW's who try to claim the show as their own, and shun anyone not part of a minority that they personally have made up. I don't hate fat people, anyone who does is a problem all their own.

But, I do think that trying to pass off something you can fix as a disability for sake of not doing the work to fix it, is genuinely wrong, because those people can improve whatever diet and exercise routines they need to. You can't cure mental disabilities or having no nerves in your legs, and I'm perfectly comfortable recognizing that.

26 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I also don't really think Steven Universe is a show that needs to delve into episodes focused on nothing but 90s-era level of platitudes like "be healthy!!!" unless it's going to be a small side mention or an incidental catalyst for a bigger A-plot or deeper character motivations. Seriously, the day the show sinks to that kind of storytelling is the day I leave.

Woah, I was never saying anything like that. I only really started talking about this because it was what was being talked about, but there are ways to implement people needing to be healthier into a show without being cheesy. I'm not saying that it would fit the tone of this wacky adventure comedy show, or that they should do it, or that this subject should ever have been brought up, but it is technically possible.

TL;DR: Greg's fatness is a product of the artstyle and does not need to be addressed, and tumblr needs to mind it's own damn business

• Thumbs Up 1

Obesity is a complicated physiological problem caused by a multitude of factors that are potentially both in and out of one's control. It's pretty presumptuous to simply look at someone who's overweight and think "Well they're obviously not trying!" I also generally agree that it's possible to approach the subject, but at this point it's not what the show needs to do based on how it's been developed thus far.

• Thumbs Up 5

You're misunderstanding, I'm talking about the people that publicly announce and take pride in the fact that they're not trying, and move toward making it something that people shouldn't want to fix. Fuck, obesity is a problem in my family, but when it goes on, it's not something where those involved call out skinny people for not being like them. I'm talking about the vocal minority that just for some reason really likes to cling to SU.

Similarly, I am not against all feminist acts just because of the small but loud percentage of people that believe the male gender should be enslaved and/or wiped out, but I am sure as fuck against those people in particular.

17 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

... and tumblr needs to mind it's own damn business

...you're going to say this after rushing in to shout "THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT BEING FAT BECAUSE TUMBLR...!!!" ?

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...you're going to say this after rushing in to shout "THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT BEING FAT BECAUSE TUMBLR...!!!" ?

Not really, no. I was using that to provide a comedic end to this definitely not related and frankly kind of dumb tangent, but I can see it was not recognized as such

1 hour ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

You're misunderstanding, I'm talking about the people that publicly announce and take pride in the fact that they're not trying, and move toward making it something that people shouldn't want to fix.

It's called being proud of your image and not caring how society wants you to be shaped. That is all. This is one aspect of thin privilege that irks me the most... if you are considered "healthy" then you are allowed to take pride on how you look... the bigger you are, the more likely your pride is going to be policed.  

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Detective Mikgenes said:

It's called being proud of your image and not caring how society wants you to be shaped. That is all. This is one aspect of thin privilege that irks me the most... if you are considered "healthy" then you are allowed to take pride on how you look... the bigger you are, the more likely your pride is going to be policed.  

Okay, but here's the thing: body acceptance is fine, but living like this can cause you to DIE. I don't see any reason to be proud of that. If we were actually treating this like a legitimate disease or condition we'd want to congratulate people for beating it, not being ailed it, right? People who beat cancer get plenty of glory, but they don't get praise for having it.

That said, I'm not claiming to be an expert on this stuff, and honestly I'd much rather get back on topic. Let's please talk about something more related to the show and less likely to have us at each other's throats.

I rewatched "we need to talk" recently and one of my favorite things about the flashback is the expression in Rainbow Quartz's two sets of eyes when looking at Greg. The ones belonging to Pearl are devious looking and smug, since it's literally her telling Greg "lookee, I'm a living representation of why Pearl is better for Rose than you are", while Rose's set of eyes is the same seductive but also kind of condescending look that she gives Greg for a lot of these flashback episodes (probably a visual tell of that emotional immaturity exhibited until the end of this episode).

I did also really like what my sister said after we watched it, which was "Steven is the fusion of Rose and Greg". I guess it's not technically true, but it's pretty interesting just to hear her say that.

I'd be rather annoyed at this point if they were to do an episode about nutrition while Malachite remains at large, Peridot just insulted Yellow Diamond to her face, and the cluster remains unimpeded.  They really need to find the plot.