Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

4 hours ago, SpikySprinter said:

I've never disagreed with you so vehemently on something. Greg is an awesome character, and I don't want him to drop dead. Same with everyone in SU, really. 

You're worrying about something that has absolutely 0% of ever happening and advocating health advice for someone who isn't even technically alive. No offense, but I think Neph's opinion is totally justified.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Phos said:

I'd be rather annoyed at this point if they were to do an episode about nutrition while Malachite remains at large, Peridot just insulted Yellow Diamond to her face, and the cluster remains unimpeded.  They really need to find the plot.  

Well they haven't technically lost it yet, it's just been forever since we've had an episode in general.

Are we allowed to discuss leaks here, by the way? Because there's one leak rolling around that's causing a lot of waves, at least around reddit.

Here, I'll just spoiler it:

Spoiler

There's your plot forwarding.

Edit edit: fixed that

3 minutes ago, SpikySprinter said:

At his weight, coupled with his age especially, most doctors would tell you they are intrinsically connected. I think I made it pretty clear that this is about health, not looks. 

But how do you know how much he weighs? You're basing what you think it is off of what you see, so obviously it is mostly looks.

Just now, SpikySprinter said:

By "looks," I mean attractiveness rather than health.  And not to sound vindictive but I honestly find it hard to believe that you didn't already know that. 

He doesn't even have to lose much weight. It wouldn't even have to be a plot point, it could be a subtle design change that isn't even mentioned. But realistically, it has to happen within the next ten years, or he'll likely end up dead. To be candid, it's happened to everyone I've ever known, his size of larger, over the age of 55. Sorry to take things there but that's where I'm coming from. 

Okay but where exactly is any of this coming from? Why does Greg need to be thin, and why are you so sure he'll literally die if he's not, and furthermore why do you care? That's got nothing to do with the show, and why does a wacky adventure cartoon have to follow real-world logic when it already is about space aliens, fusion of mind and body, and giant spaceships shaped like hands? Plenty of other cartoon characters have remained the size they are for years, do they all need to beef up or die too? This is all really contrived and weird with how much you're pushing it. You don't need to be worried, because the writers aren't going to do anything with that. That's not what the show's about, and it's never what it's going to be about. And lastly, it's not real. They don't need to follow any particular logic, and you know that. I don't understand why exactly you've made this into a big deal, because it wasn't any deal before you brought it up. It's like if I got concerned that Harry Potter might not be able to comprehend the rules of the Pokemon card game because he was never big in the exploding snap club at school. Sure, I can relate it, but that doesn't make it in any way relevant, because that's not what that story is about, and it's never going to be. 

9 hours ago, SpikySprinter said:

He doesn't need to be skinny, just tone it down to Homer Simpson levels. And really, it just makes me cringe whenever I see him eating bacon and donuts. I just picture the sugars and fats coursing through his system and... ugh you can't keep doing that to yourself. That's why I'm pushing it so hard. And ultimately, it's because I care about Greg. 

But I'll drop it now. Harping on stuff nobody agrees with me about is what's earned me this post-to-rep ratio :wacko:

Nobody disagrees, but rather, and read understand this carefully, "why are you concerned about the fictional health about a fictional character?" Greg's never been shown in any way to be unhealthy, so why even bring it up?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well...he's had back problems, but I wouldn't say that is exactly abnormal for someone of his age and size. Other than that, he has been a mobile as your average adult.

The difference is you are projecting this issue onto Greg and rationalizing that he is definitely at serious risk of dying as a direct result of his weight, when the fact remains that he is a complete figment of imagination not bound to the physiological realities of actual human beings. Unless the writers actually write the effects of his weight on his health into the storyline, as they have written about Lars' insecurity or Peridot's treachery, then these problems objectively do not exist. 

Basically, you are seeing Greg as a real person existing continuously outside of the bounds of the fictional universe where he resides, and it's weird.

• Thumbs Up 2

Except the show has nothing to do with that. Gems and the struggles they go through are what the show is about. Character development, relationships and personality is what the show is about. The potential health problems of a middle aged balding man is not what the show is about, any more than whether the show is about the possible problems Vidalia has paying her taxes. It doesn't matter, there's no relation. We aren't supposed to care, and as you can see, nobody else does. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Singapore Sling said:

Holy fuck I love this thread.

Are you going to contribute to the threads you're rapidly posting in beyond vague, one-sentence posts or not?

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't know until I make the post, so you're being really unfair to me right now. I can't tell the future.

Maybe if you cared more about Greg you'd be less willing to crush feelings of joy. 

Also, my post isn't vague. It is excessively clear, if anything. Maybe if I said "I have a certain feeling that I choose not to disclose about the subject at hand", but.

Just now, Singapore Sling said:

I won't know until I make the post, so you're being really unfair to me right now. I can't tell the future.

Maybe if you cared more about Greg you'd be less willing to crush feelings of joy. 

Also, my post isn't vague. It is excessively clear, if anything.

So basically you're going to continue spamming. I mean, you can technically do that, but it will result in strikes and bans. That is something I can predict will happen.

Ultimately, we don't require much around here. Direct, sincere participation in the conversations at hand through at least a couple of sentences isn't hard to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

So basically you're going to continue spamming. I mean, you can technically do that, but it will result in strikes and bans. That is something I can predict will happen.

Ultimately, we don't require much around here. Direct, sincere participation in the conversations at hand through at least a couple of sentences isn't hard to do.

If you're being serious, yes, I've contributed to threads. I could easily link them to you. 

But I feel like me showing joy over the hilarity of this thread doesn't really detract from its quality, because it's indisputably the best.

3 minutes ago, Singapore Sling said:

But I feel like me showing joy over the hilarity of this thread doesn't really detract from its quality, because it's indisputably the best.

It's a peanut-gallery level statement that doesn't do anything but shit up the thread and pad your post count. That kind of crap is for the status updates. All in all, my point is clear. If you're going to continue spamming threads and being a sarcastic plank about it you will be striked and suspended. If you've got a problem with this, don't respond here. Tell an admin instead.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, SpikySprinter said:

But these are real characters, and there are plenty of plot threads that are implied rather than stated. And what is "weird," anyway? In the grand scheme of things, isn't being a member of an Internet forum at all, let alone a moderator, kind of "weird?" It just seems like a myopic way to look at things. 

But that's not why I came back to post. The real reason is that I want to relay the most memorable quote from the show thus far. It's not really a spoken quote, actually, but it happens when Ronaldo is showing off his blog. He scrolls to this picture of him with a weirdly-shaped potato, and the headline is "Can Big Science explain this potato?"

For some reason I can't get that moment out of my head. I guess it perfectly sums up this culture where everything is a conspiracy. A hilarious moment  

No, they're not. They're drawings animated by a computer, they are not living, breathing creatures lie you, me, and anyone else that posts on this forum. They are not capable of cognitive thought and have no direct influence on the real world. Its weird because you are overly concerned about their well-being as if they were real people close to you on a personal level when, once again, they're FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.

Like come on, what is myopic about understanding the difference between fantasy and reality and their effects? This goes beyond just "disagreements" into territory that frankly, uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whether Greg dies of a heart attack or something is entirely up to the creators, and something tells me they're not ready to just have Greg go out like that, or haven't even thought about it because, honestly, it's unimportant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what he means is that the subject of Greg's health is not something the creators have even considered because it holds no relevance to the plot whatsoever, not that Greg's life is unimportant to the series.

• Thumbs Up 6

Spoiler

-fuck yes, Alexandrite VS Malachite

-And the award for most hilariously embarrassing defeat goes to...

-Peridot and Lapis in the second clip was so lol worthy. One's her typical panicky self in wake of danger and the other's literally got no expression except "don't give a fuck." Then again, being forcibly removed from an unstable fusion with Jasper might do that to ya.

-So I take it Yellow Diamond is going to do something about the Gem's efforts to stop the Cluster after all? She must really think they're that strong and worth her time to eliminate to do so.

-While it seems a little too soon to see Lapis be a part of the Crystal Gems especially after Peridot recently joined, it would be a nice progression for her character and her struggling to trust the Gems sans Steven would be interesting given she might still have issues with being imprisoned by them long ago.

EDIT: Forgot the L in Cluster. Now I'm imagining the Cluster looking like custard, or ice cream that's creamier. Mmm....ice cream.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Man Lapis is freakin' losing it. she's gone from confused and sad to submissive and sad to abrasive and reckless and sad to no emotions at all.

Also, I knew it was gonna be Alexandrite v. Malachite. Like, I'm not saying I have future vision, but the fact that I knew it was gonna be the way they took her out means... yeah I have future vision.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure why I was quoted in that? XP

EDIT- Need to learn to read.  My bad.

No one here is arguing against the representation of all different body types.  In fact, that's honestly the reason most of us love the show so much.  It's a show full of diverse characters that's written extremely well to boot.

What people are arguing against is Spiky's legit concern over the health of a character as though he were real, insisting that these kind of health problems will come to haunt him.  It would be like me arguing about how all the My Little Pony dolls in my room have cancer and there's nothing I can do about and I wish they had taken better care of themselves.  You see why what we're arguing with now?

A discussion on how Steven Universe depicts overweight people and the health problems unique to overweight people wouldn't be a terrible thing, but that wasn't what was being debated when the subject of Greg's health was brought up.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Cee said:

I'm not denouncing Spiky's real concerns for his health. Though these characters aren't real per se, they are REAL representations of people. The SU canon seems very synonymous with our world.  

I guess what I'm saying here is I disagree with, "These are fictional characters. The creators would never give him side-effects of obesity, so it doesn't matter." The argument seems shallow and brushes off the bigger picture.

This was not argued at all, but rather being concerned with health of fictional characters in the first place when there's no immediate reason to be beyond projecting what you perceive as being a problem.

Greg may "represent" a real person, but the fact is, he isn't one, and like I said, Greg's health is entirely up to the creators, who, given everything else happening in the plot, likely haven't thought about addressing it because it's just not something that needs to be addressed. Hell, has he ever even been shown to be unhealthy as opposed to just looking as such?

• Thumbs Up 1