Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

That was pretty much the best non-homeworld-related episode of the show so far in terms of animation, comedy, and character building. More of this please. It feels like most episodes in this category is just Steven getting into kiddy antics with the gems having little to no screen time or focus, but even episodes like that are getting more involved with the other gems recently, both for laughs and character building. I have a feeling that tonight's episode will just be more screwing around, but those are usually fun anyway, despite them going nowhere.

lol even the Preg/Gearl debate's going hard over here, /sug/ was in fucking flames last night

Spoiler

Too Short to Ride stars the Shorty Squad, Steven, Amethyst and Peridot as they try to have fun at Funland showing off their shape shifting powers only to learn that Peridot can't shape shift and try to help her. Just like to say that I like how Steven is getting a hang with his powers and showing good development in it and nice to see Cat Fingers again for a short awhile. Also, I laughed hard at the 'distraction' of Onion trying to burn down the roller coaster and the reactions to Mr Smiley trying to ban them. 

Also, learning more about Homeworld that it is running out of resources which gives more reason for the Cluster's creation of course and backstory for Peridot that she is a new model of her kind without powers... or so she thought until she learned telekinesis at the end when trying to save her tablet.

tonight's episode:

Spoiler

-fucking adorable

-so, there are gems without powers now? Who designs them? Why were they running out of resources? How could the cluster be so "worth it" to yellow diamond that she was willing to destroy the earth, a planet full of them?

-Peridot is Silver the hedgehog now I guess

-finally we get Amethyst back

-fuck we still don't have Garnet yet

-so does this mean Peridot can't fuse?

-where the hell is Connie too, for that matter

-that tablet probably cost a lot, Amethyst. Don't do that

-what is Lapis doing right now. The CGs have the whole "protect the earth" excuse but is she just lying around or something

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:

tonight's episode:

Reveal hidden contents

-fucking adorable

-so, there are gems without powers now? Who designs them? Why were they running out of resources? How could the cluster be so "worth it" to yellow diamond that she was willing to destroy the earth, a planet full of them?

-Peridot is Silver the hedgehog now I guess

-finally we get Amethyst back

-fuck we still don't have Garnet yet

-so does this mean Peridot can't fuse?

-where the hell is Connie too, for that matter

-that tablet probably cost a lot, Amethyst. Don't do that

-what is Lapis doing right now. The CGs have the whole "protect the earth" excuse but is she just lying around or something

Judging from the episode, it's clear that they're only told that they don't have powers of the gem variety...which is the...only kind they could have. P-dot's metal-kinetic powers explain very much how her limb enhancer fingers function the way they did do.

Spoiler

Yeah but I mean she could still reform when she got poofed, so

Just now, Shaddy the guy said:
  Hide contents

Yeah but I mean she could still reform when she got poofed, so

Sooo...what? That's the natural ability of the Gem-life form, to reform is basic action...involuntary.

Spoiler

It couldn't be, since the other gems took time to redesign themselves in their reformation

Just as holding a shape shifted form is stressful to them, reforming in a manner substantially differently from their "default" form also places a strain on them, they aren't able to alter their profile, so to speak. just reduce the number of lines they use.  

8 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

tonight's episode:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I imagine it's a situation similar to Freeza's empire in DBZ after Freeza and his father are killed - the gem empire starts gradually falling apart after humiliatingly failing to suppress the revolution started by the Crystal Gems, likely giving gems on various other planets the idea to rebel as well, thinking that the Crystal Gems started their rebellion as a bid for independence from the Diamond Authority, which is sorta true, but not the whole story, but that doesn't matter. A wide-scale series of rebellions on occupied planets would be an easy catalyst for denying the empire crucial resources and space for the creation of new gems - from what we know, gem civilisation is generally destructive and the creation of new gems a non-renewable process that scars the landscape, akin to mining for, well, stuff under the ground like coal, metal and, of course, gems. Yellow Diamond likely loathes the Crystal Gems and Earth so much for eroding the empire that she's willing to destroy the latter purely out of spite.

Belated thoughts on Too Short to Ride.  It was adorable, as always!  Peridot's obsession with her tablet is cute.  I felt really bad for her when she exposited that she was created... well, without powers.  Interesting to hear some more information on the current status of the Homeworld, though.  I'd be interested in seeing an official elaboration n why they're running low on resources and how they're trying to combat it.  Also, I really like what they've been doing with Amethyst's character in recent appearances, showing her capable of a full and dynamic range of emotions.

Spoiler

Oh wow...So The New Lars is about Steven trying to ship Lars and Sadie and does it by incidentally taking over Lars's body and telling Sadie he 'loves' her.

Am I...the only one who actually cringed hard during this episode?

It really goes over the whole Body Swap/Possession tropes to the 'T' and just made things really really awkward and not in a funny way, more of an embarrassing to watch awkward to be honest. Though it was nice to see Lars's parents....but not so nice to know that he sleeps in the nude, *shudders. Also, interesting movie selection there Sadie and Lars's reaction at the end was pretty funny too.

But I find this episode so far the weakest of the bunch and didn't really like it as the previous ones this week.

3 hours ago, AdventChild said:
  Hide contents

Oh wow...So The New Lars is about Steven trying to ship Lars and Sadie and does it by incidentally taking over Lars's body and telling Sadie he 'loves' her.

Am I...the only one who actually cringed hard during this episode?

It really goes over the whole Body Swap/Possession tropes to the 'T' and just made things really really awkward and not in a funny way, more of an embarrassing to watch awkward to be honest. Though it was nice to see Lars's parents....but not so nice to know that he sleeps in the nude, *shudders. Also, interesting movie selection there Sadie and Lars's reaction at the end was pretty funny too.

But I find this episode so far the weakest of the bunch and didn't really like it as the previous ones this week.

I agree, Steven should know better if he's mature enough to bring others together to solve their conflicts all on his own on multiple occasions. All I thought during this episode was "Oh my god Steven, just stop."

Also "that ass," but this is a sfw board and I'm guessing I can't discuss that any further.

More Ladie/Sars (jfc) content is always nice to see, though.

So "The New Lars:" was... mixed for me.  The episode was well-made butt...

I -hate- Sadie and Lars ass a relationship.  I hate them ass a friendship.  I hate them ass ANY kind of -ship.

Okay, let me elaborate.  I think Sadie is sweet, compassionate, and an all-around nice person.  She's not without her problems, and ass this episode demonstrates, she definitely has a very clear breaking point.  Butt I could never stand Lars.  He's probably my least favorite character because I find him to be the most obnoxious jerk that takes advantage of people and unapologetically takes his frustrations out on other people.  I don't like the way this episode and others act ass though this is merely a "shaky" relationship.  Lars is just wrong for Sadie, and even though Steven was possessing Lars' body in this episode, her complaints against him aren't really invalidated by that.  Because all the things she said are absolutely true.  I was actually hoping the episode would end with Sadie realizing just how toxic Lars is to her and finally shutting him out.

Butt that says nothing of the fact that I think the episode does a good job exploring a side of his character we haven't seen.  We get to see a pretty good glimpse of his home life, his lack of iniatitive, and a very candid shot of his bedroom, which we can use to pick apart and determine the kind of person he is.  Furthermore, we see a little bit of what Sadie and his relationship are like without Steven around ass the third wheel.  Butt we also see that ass cocky as he is, he doesn't take rejection well.  So when he sees that people liked him better when Steven was in control of his movements, he was understandably more than a little butthurt.

I really love this character exploration.  This episode is great for that reason.  It's not one of those explorations that completely and fundamentally change my outlook on the character, butt it was a nice little sneak-peak inside the privates life of a character that we don't normally see that side of.

It's just that I really can't LOVE LOVE LOVE this episode, because ass I said before, I really don't like Lars and Sadie's relationship.  I keep hoping that one of these days, they realize they're just not right for each other and move on, butt it just never happens.

• Thumbs Up 3

Been seeing spoilers for the next episode. All I can do is say hnnng. So whens the next batch of episodes coming?

The only times it's not due to air is during the weekend, otherwise it's all of Season 3.

Some quick thoughts on tonight's new episode.

One thing I love about this show is the way it uses more adult themes in a way that is unique to most children's show.  Most kid's shows use adult references as a way of getting dirty jokes past the radar.  Don't get me wrong, this show has done that on more than one occasion as well, but they also use it as a means of telling a story, which even some of the more raunchy kid's shows like Ren and Stimpy can't really claim to do.

In this case, the subjects of sexual assault and predatory behavior are... well, anyone familiar enough with the subject can probably see how transparently this episode uses dancing and Steven and Connie's time as Stevonnie in a previous episode as an allegory for it.  And as is the show's usual track record, it handles it with a delicacy and tact that few shows manage to accomplish.

Suffice it to say, this episode is really good.  Kevin is an insufferable prick, but he's just the kind of insufferable prick to bring out the rage in Steven and Connie.  The resentment they feel towards him because of his actions the last time they met is extremely relatable, as is their obsession with getting revenge on him.  This episode just briefly touches upon the subject very well, and I quite like it.

So when does Greg find out that they used his brand new (used) car in a street race? XP

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/steven-universe-season-3-episode-12-restaurant-wars

Spoiler

Yup, there was a new Steven last night! Just as the title suggest it revolves around a restaurant war between Mr. Fryman and Kofi Pizza reignited by Steven for buying mozzarella sticks. And man even though it was fake Steven forces people into love and suddenly causes a break up with Ronaldo and his Jane, his orihime. Though I'm interested to see what Koala-hime is all about. Also, Ronaldo making deliveries on wheelie shoes and still very depressed at the end even after Steven's own restaurant plan was a success. Kofi trying to brand Steven was going a bit much though. Also, Amethyst closing line was pretty funny too.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/steven-universe-season-3-episode-13-kikis-pizza-delivery-service

Spoiler

Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service doesn't particularly follow up from Restaurant Wars, but it continues with Kofi Pizza's daughters as Kiki has been covering Jenny's shift with delivering pizza since Jenny broke the car with Sour Cream's mix tape which correlates with weird pizza dreams that she has been having that literally Steven encounters invades as well and tries to help and interpret them.

First off, nice Hayao Miyazaki reference with the title. Secondly, nice to see more of Steven's dream abilities since Chille Tid. Thirdly, like the interactions and the message the episode conveys. Finally, Dream Warrior Steven's punny cheesy jokes are punny and cheesy. A nice episode overall to be sure.

Spoiler

Centipeedle, you sweetheart, you stayed behind to find your crew and became corrupted in the progress along with them. *sniff* I love this character, I hope I don't have to wait 2 seasons again to see her become whole.