Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Spoiler

Yeah, the backstory behind the centipeedle is a bit depressing when she gotten corrupted along with her crew during the Gem Wars. Also, dang it Steven with your puppy dog eyes! Also, we get more Gem culture with the mention of their handwriting.

Today's episode Alone At Sea features Greg, Steven and Lapis Lazuli renting a boat to have some fun until they fished out a familiar foe. Also, really like to see Lapis use her powers and it was nice to see Steven trying to cheer her up and having fun esp with the horn. When Lapis caught something, it became obvious who it was. Also, subtle metaphor about abusive relationships is subtle as I believe it was the message it was conveying.

Hoo boy I'm late at this Steven Bomb thing! I've watched about two or three episodes so I'll give my thoughts about those first.

Drop Beat Dad: A Sour Cream episode! It was alright I suppose, but now Marty is another character I dislike, along with Lars and Kevin. Because he is such a manipulative character, and uncaring to his son, just, bleh. >:( Yellowtail encouraging his son to do what he does best was a heartwarming moment.

Mr.Greg: Hoo boy. When I saw the sneak peek, I kinda knew why Pearl wouldn't want to dance with Greg, it mainly had something to do with Rose.

What I didn't know was that it would be SO DARN DEEP.

The animation and the colors, literally everything about this episode was so very good, I can't stop hearing Pearl sing "It's Over Isn't It", that song was SPOT ON, expressing her love and coping with the loss of Rose and the reasons why she didn't take a liking to Greg and things like that.

What REALLY got me was when Steven started playing the piano and trying to get both of them to get along, it felt like Steven wasn't singing the song, Rose was. I think that was the intention, but it really gave me a shot in the feels. This is still my favourite episode.

Too Short to Ride: This was a fun episode with Steven, Amythest and Peridot! It's nice to know that Peridot can use Telekinesis, (though it's not yet confirmed whether she can move only metal or something like that). Peridot having a twitter and all is really funny and clever, speaking in which, IT ACTUALLY EXISTS.

Also, CN's twitter was briefly taken over by Peridot, which was quite funny. However the Sonic-Eggman takeovers are still the best. Sorry CN.

Greg the Babysitter: this was a cute episode on Greg and Rose, while Greg babysits Sour Cream (Hnng) and then shenanigans happens.

Also damn, Rose is really really strong. And this episode is kinda deep about humans growing up, and Rose stating that that was a cool power of sorts? That was quite something!

Alone at Sea: Featuring my favourite water child Lapis! That was a really good episode, Steven trying to cheer Lapis up by going on a boat trip, while Lapis is struggling to have fun, but is still shaken by the events of being Malachite. Also HOLY SHOOT JASPER, being manipulative to Lapis as an attempt to fuse into Malachite again!

The best part about this is Lapis standing up to Jasper and refusing to fuse with her and then sends her flying out of the ship with one water punch.

tumblr_inline_ob1n03Or0M1sh9hx9_500.gif

REKT.

So yeah, that's my take on the episodes I've seen so far! I've missed a few and there's a lotta leaks on Youtube that I'm trying HARD TO AVOID GAHH.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got around to catching up on this week's episodes.

Restaurant Wars and Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service were so stupid, but cute.  I really like that we're seeing so much of the personal lives of the extended cast.  It's different, but very, very interesting.  I could relate to Kiki a lot in her episode, due to my own fixation on pleasing everyone.

Spoiler

Plus the triumphant return of Dogcopter, at last!

Monster Reunion...

Spoiler

It was a very touching episode.  I'm so happy that this character has finally received a happy ending.  Though to be honest, I was expecting a bit more sadness with how Garnet was talking about some gems being beyond saving.  Still, it was really sweet watching Centipeedle and Steven interact, and the crayon drawing portion was sad, but adorable.

Alone at Sea...

Spoiler

Again, VERY good episode, and as I stated in one of my previous posts, I love the way the series handles very real world issues.  Lapis is a very well-written portrayal of someone who suffers from Stockholm Syndrome, and I couldn't help but cheer her on when she conquers it and tells Jasper off.  It was a very powerful moment.  That water fist was perfect.  The only problem I have is that Jasper's appearances of late have been very... unceremoniously resolved with relative ease.  When she finally recovers on Watermelon Island as Malachite, she is defeated in one episode, and in this episode, she's knocked out with a single punch.  I mean, I know that now that she's no longer fused, she's not quite as powerful, but this is the same gem that initially captured Lapis and forced her to fuse in the first place, not to mention held Steven and the Crystal Gems as prisoners and even managed to separate Ruby and Sapphire.  I'm not saying she should be the ultimate big bad, but I feel like there should be a lot more weight to her presence than what we've been getting lately.  Still, it's a very powerful episode in spite of that, and I absolutely love it.

Greg the Babysitter...

Spoiler

Very, very cute episode.  It once again fascinates me to learn about Rose.  All the little details about who she is and the life she led are so fascinating to me.  The imperfections that make her beautiful, her curiosity towards human life, and all such things.  Greg's a bit of a mooch, but it's great to see him taking responsibility and attempting to better himself.

So once again, a very good batch of episodes this week, even if some of them were a little... weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pearl's soccer mom attitude is so cute in this episode.  The episode wasn't particularly eventful but...

Spoiler

It's nice to see that Jasper is apparently getting serious.

Not much to say this time around.  Can't wait for tomorrow's episode.

Oh, I'm up to Beach City Drift and it's honestly kinda middling Initial D reference, and I'm realizing that they've band-aid resolved the actual plot again so now we're going to go back to faffing about with characters no one cares about and if this show was out of Japan I'd have said we're back into filler.  

Edit: OK so it seems like that was just a pretty poor quartet of episodes, it picked up again with Monster Reunion.  

Unless you just mean Lars and Kevin...I wouldn't say that no one cares about the Beach City residents.

Quick thoughts in regards to the episode that just aired:

Was that some fight against Jasper or what? Definitely one of the best Jasper battles I've seen in the series so far! Bonus points for the Steve/Connie fusion being in the fight!

Huh, this is an odd one...

Spoiler

Going to say off the bat I don't feel like Jasper's escape was earned, kind of seems like Stevonnie just decided they were done.  They really should have dropped the 15 minute format so they don't have to pull stuff like this, but I have more on this later.  

Considering the theming going on around fusion, the Stevonnie fusion is starting to get creepy to me.  There's progressive and then there's (accidently?) implied romance between pre teens.  It's like the writers don't read each other's scripts, like a while back where Pearl's view on reestablishing contact with other gems made a 180 between episodes apropo of nothing.  

Amethyst's part in the story also seems odd to me considering the considerably earlier episode that was almost entirely about Amethyst trying to change her form for the sake of strength.  Maybe the point of the episode was to shine a light on her being the weakest (even though isn't Pearl supposed to be the weakest? it's hard to keep track of who they're disempowering sometimes), but I guess that considering the character voice they've given Jasper it's just hard to get anything across.  She might as well just grunt a bunch and then start hitting people... and this goon is our antagonist for a while. 

But Amethyst's reaction to Stevonnie is part of why I really think they need to go to full time slot episodes: What if this episode's fight with Jasper followed shortly after their fight in the north, and it was Pearl who saw Stevonnie through the cloud of sand?  Armed as, uh, they were, they cut a very similar silhouette to Rose.  The development could have been for Pearl.

But no, Amethyst, anything you do during training, you're going to be worse at under the duress of combat.

I used to love this show, but recently it's been getting very predictable in terms of tone. It's the same problem Adventure Time arguably succumbed to about two years ago, but worse: putting angst and moralizing ahead of humor and entertainment. If I had to pinpoint an episode where I started to get this sense, it would be Sworn to the Sword, and from there it's been downhill. The last truly great episode was Hit the Diamond, and ever sense then we've gotten nothing but tears and life coaching. Funny moments, mostly from the animation, but no funny episodes. The show's initial breezy, whimsical quality, something that Gravity Falls masterfully held onto all the way through, is very much subdued. 

Just now, VolatileMike said:

...but recently it's been getting very predictable in terms of tone...putting "Angst" and "Morals" ahead of humor... 

Obviously there's not exactly a problem with this...just sayin'.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

I used to love this show, but recently it's been getting very predictable in terms of tone. It's the same problem Adventure Time arguably succumbed to about two years ago, but worse: putting angst and moralizing ahead of humor and entertainment. If I had to pinpoint an episode where I started to get this sense, it would be Sworn to the Sword, and from there it's been downhill. The last truly great episode was Hit the Diamond, and ever sense then we've gotten nothing but tears and life coaching. Funny moments, mostly from the animation, but no funny episodes. The show's initial breezy, whimsical quality, something that Gravity Falls masterfully held onto all the way through, is very much subdued. 

Isn't that what puberty is, though?

The show's done being a child, it's growing up just like Steven is. He's growing stronger and more mature and the show is following with that maturity the same way as Adventure Time follows Finns maturity.

It's one thing being able to have fun and live life like a child, but you've still got to grow up and face reality.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

I can't say I agree with this. I feel like this show handles the balance between "angst and moralizing" and humor better than Adventure Time did when it started to explore the coming of age theme. Hell, even in the beginning I've felt that there were was a bit of drama in Steven Universe... Maybe not as much as there is now, but it was there.

Also, I can appreciate that so far, Steven Universe does not give into "status quo is god" like Adventure Time tends to do... 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the biggest problem in the last year or so had been that every other episode focuses on one of the characters' all-too-many insecurities. I literally rolled my eyes and groaned when Amethyst woke up from the fight with Jasper and had this shameful "I wasn't good enough" moment. More drama, that's what we need, sure... 

Sure, we could always use more drama...except it wasn't even that serious. Amethyst didn't get that much focus as it is, so it's all good.

I should add that the last episode had Steven and Amethyst fighting over who was worse at fighting. Wouldn't really call that drama.

Steven VS Amethyst was exactly how I wish more hero vs hero / friend vs friend conflicts went.

Spoiler

Yes, I'm looking at you, Marvel.

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Steven VS Amethyst was exactly how I wish more hero vs hero / friend vs friend conflicts went.

Hide contents

Yes, I'm looking at you, Marvel.

Spoiler

Civil War was going for a complete different tone, style and approach to the situation. It wasn't supposed to end with Tony and Steve laughing at the battle and becoming friends again. It was supposed to establish and set up future plot elements to the universe. It also would make them working together an becoming allies again in the inevitable future more satisfying/emotional.

Both approaches I think work, just depends on the context.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was referring to Marvel's comics and their tons of hero vs hero conflicts that often make some (if not all) the involved characters OOC just to justify that conflict, not Civil War the movie which I felt handled it pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 3