Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Spoiler

I wish Bismuth hadn't been bubbled again. I liked the episode overall, but the ending was kind of disappointing. It's not just that it'll probably be a while before we saw her again--I had a feeling she wouldn't be part of the regular cast, so I was prepared for that--it's that it...didn't feel like a good solution? Poofing her was understandable (and for the record, I don't blame Steven for any of this), but her last few lines gave me the impression that they could talk this out, especially if the other Gems talked to her...but I guess not? I don't understand, especially when it seems to go against everything the show's been getting at with regards to communication and second chances and etc...

I'm sure that'll happen at some point, but (aside from possibly the VA not being available or something along those lines) I'm just not sure why it can't happen sooner rather than later. I really hope we see her again in this last stretch of S3 episodes.

But yeah, aside from that it was a good episode! I really liked the first half and even the second half when things got heavy, it's just that the very ending has left me kinda confused.

• Thumbs Up 5

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the ending of this episode... all this hype for a character I really like only for her to get poofed and bubbled when she and Steven could have had a proper chat and clarified things like a lot of episodes have done before. Not to mention the implications that this character will probably get the shaft for a long time while others get their second chance... come on don't pull the rug out from under me like that, please.  #FreeBismuth

To me, it looked like Bismuth wasn't willing to see clarity until she was on the business end of the sword, and it's probable that in the current circumstances, she'd only stay crazy if she stayed physical. She'll need some time to calm down, and possibly more than one talking to by Stephen.

Well, no, I mean when the Crystal Gems are in a better position and can let her out again.

Spoiler

I don't think it's confirmed that bubbling puts a Gem into stasis considering they can bubble themselves if they want to. It does prevent a Gem from regaining their physical form, but merely being in Gem form doesn't inhibit consciousness. If it did, it would be impossible for gems to ruminate and actually choose their forms when coming back. So I don't think Bismuth is in a coma so much as in time out. I think what's telling is that the rest of the Crystals decided to leave her in Steven's bubble. I mean, you're not really dealing with a Peridot; you're dealing with an ally who is beholden to such ideological purity that they more than likely tried to shatter Rose and was about to kill Steven, and on top of that I didn't get any real hint of remorse in her final words. Bismuth, as far as I'm concerned, is Jasper levels of dangerous, which was "solved" with a similar imprisonment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I honestly love how this situation isn't Black and White. Both Sides had their good points and their bad points. Rose was wrong for not telling the Gems even if she had good intentions in doing so and Bismuth was wrong in the murderous approach she wanted to take to Homeworld.

This was a situation with no easy answer and the show makes that clear.

Just now, Nepenthe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think it's confirmed that bubbling puts a Gem into stasis considering they can bubble themselves if they want to. It does prevent a Gem from regaining their physical form, but merely being in Gem form doesn't inhibit consciousness. If it did, it would be impossible for gems to ruminate and actually choose their forms when coming back. So I don't think Bismuth is in a coma so much as in time out. I think what's telling is that the rest of the Crystals decided to leave her in Steven's bubble. I mean, you're not really dealing with a Peridot; you're dealing with an ally who is beholden to such ideological purity that they more than likely tried to shatter Rose and was about to kill Steven, and on top of that I didn't get any real hint of remorse in her final words. Bismuth, as far as I'm concerned, is Jasper levels of dangerous, which was "solved" with a similar imprisonment.

When Bubbled a gem only remembers the last thing that happened before they got poofed. It's been shown with the Peridot gem and kind of shown in this episode when Bismuth after reforming took a defensive stance...and talks about how they were just in the midst of the war times. These are the only 2 examples because every other bubbled gem is corrupted and wouldn't remember anything anyway.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Hide contents

When Bubbled a gem only remembers the last thing that happened before they got poofed. It's been shown with the Peridot gem and kind of shown in this episode when Bismuth after reforming took a defensive stance...and talks about how they were just in the midst of the war times. These are the only 2 examples because every other bubbled gem is corrupted and wouldn't remember anything anyway.

Spoiler

Steven was bubbled by Garnet in Monster Buddies and he didn't display a lapse in consciousness. Non-corrupted Gems also tend to lose their form very quickly in battle which would explain why that's always the last thing they remember, but even Bismuth had time to sit there and think about what happened before poofing. Being in gem form in general doesn't mean they're in an essential coma and there's no thought going on. It wouldn't make sense considering Gems have direct control over their physical form and have to essentially think about it and take their time. It might not be active consciousness, but they're not essentially dead either.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Hide contents

Steven was bubbled by Garnet in Monster Buddies and he didn't display a lapse in consciousness. Non-corrupted Gems also tend to lose their form very quickly in battle which would explain why that's always the last thing they remember, but even Bismuth had time to sit there and think about what happened before poofing. Being in gem form in general doesn't mean they're in an essential coma and there's no thought going on. It wouldn't make sense considering Gems have direct control over their physical form and have to essentially think about it and take their time. It might not be active consciousness, but they're not essentially dead either.

But when bubbled, it prevents a Gem from being able to reform and they reform almost immediately after being released. Actually the only thing a Gem can do when they get poofed is choose how long it takes to reform...they're practically unaware of anything else. That appears to be the only difference.

Spoiler

But in Reformed it was made pretty clear that poofed Gems can (and, in fact, are supposed to) think about what their new form is going to be like. I don't think there's been anything to suggest they aren't conscious at all in their gem forms.

Spoiler

But in Reformed it was made pretty clear that poofed Gems can (and, in fact, are supposed to) think about what their new form is going to be like. I don't think there's been anything to suggest they aren't conscious at all in their gem forms.

Spoiler

The first time we learn that a Gem's physical form is a projection that they have to recast after losing it, it took Pearl two or three weeks to do it. And when she did, she came out looking differently. They then go on to dedicate a whole episode to Amethyst making consciously goofy projections due to her insecurities- none of which happened with any amnesiac side effects- which at the end Pearl commends her saying that she got rid of the shoulder strap that had been annoying her. It seems clear that there is some level of consciousness that goes on when a Gem has lost their projection and is seeking to reform it. And if we take into account that Steven has been bubbled without forgetting anything, then it doesn't seem like there's any reason to automatically believe that being bubbled while in Gem form definitely means there's no brain activity going on whatsoever.

I said that they aren't aware of what's going on around them, choosing how long it takes to reform and changing their default looks are the only conscious things they are able to do when retreated into the Gem.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Hide contents

I said that they aren't aware of what's going on around them, choosing how long it takes to reform and changing their default looks are the only conscious things they are able to do when retreated into the Gem.

Spoiler

I feel like you're reaching too far to say those are the only things they can do consciously when the specifics of changing their form require higher level thinking and processing memories, preferences, and emotions which we have no reason to believe is restricted only to that task. And even if we know they have no concept of what is happening in normal space-time, that also doesn't really act as evidence that their thinking is altered to the point that reflection is out of the question. If I'm locked in my room, I'm not gonna know what's going on down the street with my neighbors.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

Hide contents

I feel like you're reaching too far to say those are the only things they can do consciously when the specifics of changing their form require higher level thinking and processing memories, preferences, and emotions which we have no reason to believe is restricted only to that task. And even if we know they have no concept of what is happening in normal space-time, that also doesn't really act as evidence that their thinking is altered to the point that reflection is out of the question. If I'm locked in my room, I'm not gonna know what's going on down the street with my neighbors.

We have yet to see anything that counters what I'm saying. I'm not really reaching, just going based on past events.

Spoiler

If there's no proof either way for how a Gem functions in gem form while bubbled, then I don't see the point in criticizing the writers for dooming Bismuth to perpetual anger when you know as much as I do about the process, especially when you began arguing that the only things a Gem can consciously focus on when in Gem form are simply reforming anyway. If that's the case then she's not actually angry anymore.

Whoa, I wasn't criticizing the writers for nothin'. I was just stating how things are about bubbling...until counter evidence comes along.

Spoiler

Holy FUCKING SHIT that new episode

my mom did a little squeal when she heard Bismuth's voice cause she loves Orange is the New Black

i would state how i feel about the episode but i was gone the whole week and we watched all five new episodes at once so i'm both tired and also I don't like doing analysis and wonder why i keep doing it but i might some other time anyway

NEW FUCKING WHATVER-PARTER: BETA AND EARTHLINGS

Spoiler

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

-I dun like Smokey Quartz' design. Please buy a new shirt

Spoiler

Smokey Quartz's design weirded me out a little at first, but now I love it. One side has one arm branching to two (Amy=gem) but the other is normal (Steven=human), the only odd thing is said limb, they bring out their true self as jolly and playful, their weapon is a YO-YO, and was formed by their similarities and wishing to work together.

I was especially glad of Smokey's body shape. It was kinda obvious since Amy and Steven aren't portrayed as skinny, but SU made it very obvious they were fat by their design (thick? big? what's the right word?).

Also Peri I love you but please stop making me feel embarrassed. You were also awesome though.

And poor Jasper. I can't say anything else, just...poor Jasper.

• Thumbs Up 1