Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

6 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

Hide contents

I dunno, I don't see what's so bad about shattering gems. At first I thought it was because Rose did it in cold blood, but then it turned out she had to do it, so... Who cares? Why is it so somber?

Spoiler

Well. They see shattering gems the same way we see how killing people is bad even as a last resort/self defense. In that sense it's comprehendsible

It's comprehensible, but it's hardly this devastating thing they're making it out to be. Unfortunate, troubling, all those things, but not really something worth hiding, for example. 

11 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

It's comprehensible, but it's hardly this devastating thing they're making it out to be. Unfortunate, troubling, all those things, but not really something worth hiding, for example. 

To shatter a gem is shattering their mind. They don't die when they're shattered but instead continue an existence of confusion, constant pain and unable to remember who they are or what they looked like. Essentially turns them into those zombie-like forms.

The strawberry field exists because their forces were obliterated rather than shattered.

Shattered is essentially dying...or a fate worse than death (I guess, but they're just disembodied limbs). Complete disintegration is what it takes to kill a Gem completely.

Also remember that AFAWK Rose is the only being capable of healing cracked Gems, it was the only way she could mount a resistance against Homeworld with such limited numbers. To Homeworld a cracked gem soldier is essentially already dead. What makes this reprehensible for the Crystal Gems to shatter someone is that it's unnecessarily cruel, merely poofing and bubbling a enemy would serve the same purpose of removing them from the fight without inflicting permanent damage. Unless Diamonds can't be poofed/bubbled for whatever reason there was no need to destroy Pink Diamond.

• Thumbs Up 1

It goes against her morals...obviously she didn't believe in the "necessary evils" until it really had to strike a chord. Also it shattered Steven's pedestaled view of Rose Quartz, had to drop a bomb-shell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a question I didn't really consider until just now: Greg previously stated that Garnet and Pearl survived the war because of Rose's shield. Due to the aftereffects of the war, do you think

Amethyst is partially corrupted?

Amethyst didn't actually participate in the rebellion because she was born after it. So there wouldn't necessarily be anything to save her from. xP

I know, but the implication I got was that  she was forming in the ground for quite some time, so I was wondering it could've affected her during that period.

As far as we know she's just kinda overcooked and that's it, she hasn't really exhibited any standard corrupted traits and if she did it probably wouldn't take to long for the corruption to completely consume her like it did Jasper 

• Thumbs Up 6

Well well...Buddy's Book showed some interesting stuff

Spoiler

-For instance, between all the drawings that Buddwick made of the places he visited during his journey that Steven remembers. There was one that he never saw: A palanquin. One that looked identical to the one that Blue Diamond had in "The Answer". Either something happened to BD and it was left behind or this one is what was left from Rose and Pink Diamond's confrontation.

-Then there's the fact that he met Rose while he was looking for the Elusive Sand Castle and she was accompanied by several lions...but these looked like normal lions (A.K.A. not pink-colored). This desert is the same where Steven met Lion for the first time.

3 hours ago, Ice Vec said:

Well well...Buddy's Book showed some interesting stuff

Hide contents

-Then there's the fact that he met Rose while he was looking for the Elusive Sand Castle and she was accompanied by several lions...but these looked like normal lions (A.K.A. not pink-colored). This desert is the same where Steven met Lion for the first time.

Huh. Guess she just likes the way the spikes feel :evil:

What is the connection/opposition between the colors red and purple? I've noticed quite a few series where we have a red hero and a purple villain: Knuckles and Thrash, Mario and Wario (if you give yellow to Daisy), Ryuko and Nui, now Amethyst and Jasper(who is technically more orange, but they specifically emphasize red in the kindergarten). 

It's kinda like a different version of the white and black/blue and red we have in Western media; the colours have specific symbolic meanings. Red is seen as a colour for protection [against demons and disease], happiness and luck, whereas purple is seen as the colour of death and evil. This contrasts with at least some Western conceptions, where Red can be seen as both good and evil (Red for bravery or red for danger), but purple has typically one meaning due to our history with it (that being royalty).  

That said, I don't think the Knuckles and Thrash one was intentionally playing to that given that Thrash has his origin from a Sonic and Knuckles transition sprite. Pretty sure that wasn't evil. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, neat.

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That said, I don't think the Knuckles and Thrash one was intentionally playing to that given that Thrash has his origin from a Sonic and Knuckles transition sprite. Pretty sure that wasn't evil. 

I don't know why, but this got a laugh out of me. :lol: But you're right. Though, ironically enough, neither of those two are explicitly good/bad, at least in their introduction.

EDIT: Actually, let's move any further discussion to the ArchieSonic thread 

That episode... That. Episode!

Ok, I'm going to come out and say it, "Here Comes A Thought" is now my most favorite song in the series. It really struck a chord with me and portrays a very relatable situation. I absolutely love the chemistry between Steven and Connie in this episode as well.

Also, fun fact, today's episode was had a guest animator, Takafumi Hori from Studio Trigger.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a while.

Anyway, the steven bomb, nuke and even the last couple of weekly episodes has been some heavy stuff. Especially Mindful Education. But even this week's episode has some pretty weighty themes (depression and the ending of a friendship). It's part of what makes the show so great, the show is getting more thoughtful as it goes on, like Steven, without starting to go up its own arse like Adventure Time was prone to do.

It's been handling heavy themes for a while now...so, these recent episodes weren't exactly big. It probably won't be going through a depression arc though...eh.

Why won't CN let Amethyst say "badass"...talk about censorship...smh

Spoiler

Okay, putting aside the obvious for just a second: this episode was so much fun. Seeing Pearl try to act all cool was hilarious, and it helps that she got genuinely cool moments too. Highlights in that regard being the police chase (shoutout to the "I've been a criminal for 6000 years" line) and oh yeah, ACTUALLY TALKING TO THAT WOMAN! OH MY GOD?? I CAN'T BELIEVE--

...Ahem.

So yeah, I've been wondering for a while if we'd see one of the gems (probably Pearl or Amethyst, I figured) get a human love interest and HERE WE ARE. It's a pleasant surprise for sure, since I honestly didn't expect them to go there--or more accurately, that they'd be allowed to go there? But yeah, I really, really hope we see Mystery Girl again and maybe learn more about her...like, uh, her name!

• Thumbs Up 4

That episode was pretty great.  Lots of hilarious little moments, and I'm so happy to see Pearl taking steps to move on from her past.  I never thought we'd see an episode where she was allowed to pursue another love interest (if that is what mysterious biker Rose is supposed to be).  Suffice it to say, I am very interested in seeing where this goes.

Also "I've been a criminal for 6000 years" is the best line in the entire series hands down.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/8/2016 at 8:41 PM, Celestia said:

Why won't CN let Amethyst say "badass"...talk about censorship...smh

Because "ass" is considered a swear across most of America?