Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

73f3185975d2f1bd11ecb1929f86e1d9.png

097001080042a8b264cec80dbd02f7f3.png

This kid is literally Frisk from Undertale.  It is literally Frisk.  I can not believe Undertale is canon in the Steven Universe universe.

undertale_frisk_by_charliesgallery-d9cc6

jZuyRRZ.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this is far from unique to this show but I want you guy's input:

Why does this fanbase has this fascination with "redemption" and what do you think of the subject?

On 9/19/2016 at 0:39 AM, DabigRG said:

Why does this fanbase has this fascination with "redemption" and what do you think of the subject?

The "Draco in Leather Pants" fandom phenomenon. People, for whatever reason, got really attached to the antagonists and want to see then stop being antagonists and be good guy and have cute and funny moments with the main cast.

As for what I think of it... I don't.

I think in the case of Steven Universe, it's because the writing is very three dimensional.  Steven Universe tries to portray most of the villains with dignity, tact, and in general as actually having lives, ambitions, and motivations.  They're not evil for evil's sake; they just have conflicting personalities and personal histories that shape who they become.  That means you're supposed to want to see the conflict resolved in a way that doesn't involve one character eventually getting brutally killed.

Spoiler

In fact, the current arc regarding Rose having shattered Pink Diamond further exemplifies this desire for peaceful conflict resolution.

It's a bit different from many other examples of this phenomenon, because it's largely supported by the narrative's take on morality and perspective.

On 9/19/2016 at 0:39 AM, DabigRG said:

I know this is far from unique to this show but I want you guy's input:

Well, it's better utilized on this show than MLPFiM that's for sure and that's all I got to say.

A lot better than the last Onion centric episode, which I found almost nauseating. 

And an answer to a lot of questions about the fan base: this show'a fan base at large (at least the part you hear about) seems to be a trash fire. 

16 hours ago, Phos said:

A lot better than the last Onion centric episode, which I found almost nauseating. 

And an answer to a lot of questions about the fan base: this show'a fan base at large (at least the part you hear about) seems to be a trash fire. 

...What?

I really don't tend to buy into it when a whole fanbase gets called horrible because of a few morons being pieces of shit.  Yes, their harassment of Lauren Zuke was pretty awful.  But just like that article itself pointed out, the idiots were "an aggressive subsection of Steven Universe fans".  The vast majority of the active fanbase seemed to be pretty supportive of Lauren in the whole ordeal.  But, since the negative is what always gets focused on, they didn't get paid much attention by people talking about it.

Just about every notable fanbase gets named the "worst fanbase ever" at some point or another, usually because of something like this.  Heck, I remember how when this happened it had just barely been a few days since the No Man's Sky fanbase had taken the Worst Fanbase crown for the hysterical fits a few people threw over that game's release.  That's how often the label gets shuffled around.

My point is that a few assholes doing awful things don't speak for a fanbase as a whole, and here it was definitely only a few assholes.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, Phos said:

Eating noodles with so much butter on them that they're sitting in it is already kinda gross, 

Oh yeah.

6 minutes ago, Phos said:

but then onion started playing with it with his mouth. 

Well, that was hilarious. :lol: Don't ask me why, but I kinda got the vibe he was either setting his appetite or flirting with Steven in that scene.

• 2 weeks later...

We got a new short!

Steven tries to have a video call with Peridot and Lapis.

...it goes about as well as you'd expect.

EDIT: SCRATCH THAT, HERE'S MORE

• Thumbs Up 1

Having been curious about the show, and hearing a couple of my Skype buddies mention it on more than one occasion, I bit and started watching the show (up to episode 7 of season 1 so far).

Gotta say, I'm enjoying it. Wish I'd have started sooner, but hey, better late than never.

I like the action, the characters are fun to watch, and even though I usually don't really like it when the music is a bit odd considering what the action is like on-screen, I do like the mix of piano and 8-bit music.

Though I'm glad that the episodes are only 11 minutes long considering how many episodes are in Season 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those shorts are adorable.  I particularly like Lapis in the video chat one!

Also, Connie plays RTS games and that was pretty fun to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Tara said:

Those shorts are adorable.  I particularly like Lapis in the video chat one!

Hide contents

Also, Connie plays RTS games and that was pretty fun to see.

Same! Personally, that one was my favorite of the shorts released so far. At least we're getting something while waiting for the hiatus to end.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2016 at 9:25 AM, dwibs93 said:

Gotta say, I'm enjoying it. Wish I'd have started sooner, but hey, better late than never.

Though I'm glad that the episodes are only 11 minutes long considering how many episodes are in Season 1.

Especially considering the extensive hiatuses we had to suffer through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 2:27 AM, Tylinos said:

The next episode after that comes two weeks later, on December 1st, where we're finally getting a flashback story set shortly after Steven was born.  Also, "Three Gems and a Baby" is a fantastic title.

My body will NEVER be ready for this.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/8/2016 at 2:27 AM, Tylinos said:

The next episode after that comes two weeks later, on December 1st, where we're finally getting a flashback story set shortly after Steven was born.  Also, "Three Gems and a Baby" is a fantastic title.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/07/cartoon-network-holiday-marathon-steven-universe

First we're back from hiatus, and now we're getting a backstory story episode! I'm really looking forward to this one! There's so much waiting to be revealed!

Back in the summer we all expected "Gem Harvest" to be something completely different and darker, but the title refers to a literal harvest. It's almost as if the leaks were intentional...

Gem Harvest seemed completely out of left field, but I can't deny that it was cute.  It's also nice to see more of the human side of Steven's family.  I wonder if we'll be seeing more of Steven getting in touch with his humanity?  Andy is actually pretty hilarious, and coming from something of a divided home myself, I could empathize deeply with his struggle.

If there is one thing I would have to criticize the episode for, it was that the initial setup doesn't quite lead where you might expect it.  The episode spends a good five to ten minutes focusing on Peridot and Lapis's vegetable garden and has Steven give life to a pumpkin, but aside from the creation of the latter, nothing really comes of it, and the plot changes focus almost immediately to Andy.  The first fifteen minutes, then, seem more circumstantial than integral.

Still, cute episode, very emotional.  I liked it enough.

• Thumbs Up 2