Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Storm The Room was a solid episode, Steven was finally able to get all the built up emotions (both positive & negative) he had towards Rose out in the open.  I imagine that was pretty therapeutic for him.  He also finally go to (sort of) reconcile things with Rose face to face which was nice.

Also been re-watching some older episodes.  It always gets me how emotional On The Run is by the end.  It starts out looking like it might be a more light hearted episode but has you completely balling at the end, Amethyst thinking that Pearl sees her nothing as a mistake is heartbreaking and a good comparison to how some children feel the same way when their parents or authority figures make them feel as such and how hurtful it can be, even if unintentional.  I don't see how you can't not cry at the end.

Looking forward to Rocknaldo, I know some people complain about the Beach City eps, but I enjoy them, they are a nice breather between the bigger stuff and Ronaldo is basically a tool the showrunners use to hint at future events anyway, so I look forward to seeing what hints we will get this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im ready for actual big stuff. when the show first started it was neat to see city life and little silly things but dont become a adventure time and stretch honestly what should have been a maybe 3 seasons at best show into some 10 season thing. The story is not THAT big

Padding out the show with slice of life stuff has nothing to do with the scale of the story...that's a complaint about general pacing.

Since Adventure Time didn't start out with any type of story, there's no reason for the comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Meta77: We have gotten big stuff,  The Cluster, Blue Diamond, The Human Zoo, a lot of "big" stuff has happened in season 3 & 4.  Also the Beach City Episodes aren't padding, everything in the show matters, The Citizens of Beach city may not be as popular as Steven, Connie & The Gems, but they deserve character growth & development too.   At the end of the day Steven Universe is essentially a show about growing up, that's a huge part of what makes it great, seeing all the characters mentally/emotionally grow over time is what makes the series so appealing!  At least for me anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly they could kill off the entire beach city cast and id be ok with it. Give steven some real growing up to do.Still those episodes are good. Its just a bore for me at least to watch silly moments this late in the show. As i said back when it started with that goofy cookie cat and steven being a empty minded kid it was alright but now you have a looming threat you need to deal with.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Honestly they could kill off the entire beach city cast and id be ok with it. Give steven some real growing up to do.Still those episodes are good. Its just a bore for me at least to watch silly moments this late in the show. As i said back when it started with that goofy cookie cat and steven being a empty minded kid it was alright but now you have a looming threat you need to deal with.

That's abit intense isn't it?   Again Steven Universe, despite all its magical & sci-fi moments is, at its core, a show about life, life has good & bad moments, intense & simple.  The beach city eps serve their purpose just as the more serious episodes do.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know what "real growing up" is, but I think SU is great because it's not always action, development, and progress in plot. 

Steven is a kid, and as SonicComicFanboy said it's also about Steven and his "family"'s life. It show that the plot isn't only about alien threatening Earth and his Mom being a part of it. It shows that there are normal threats too, even if silly, and life is fun and interesting by itself.

The breaks aren't all fillers either. Some showed the Crystal gems are getting along differently than before; some had minor casts given more depth; some of them actually told you some backstory that was not related to plot but related to the main character's life; others showed Steven with new powers. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Rocknaldo was hit n miss for me, it had some genuinly funny moments, but Ronaldo is still such an annoying character.  Still it did look like he may have finally learned his lesson  (at least abit) by the end of the episode, so maybe he'll be a little less annoying in the future! XD

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Rocknaldo was hit n miss for me, it had some genuinly funny moments, but Ronaldo is still such an annoying character.  Still it did look like he may have finally learned his lesson  (at least abit) by the end of the episode, so maybe he'll be a little less annoying in the future! XD

I have to agree for sure! The episode was okay but Ronaldo just gets on my nerves sometimes.  

Rocknaldo was an ok episode, at least it remembered that Ronaldo is an annoying-ass human being with little to no enjoyability...even though it still made the mistake of continuing to include him anyway.

I legit think the whole thing at the start especially with the "They hate men!?" line was in response to the show's creators and fanbase being called SJWs.

Still, with as much focus as we continue to get on the human cast of the show, I become more and more annoyed that the show neglects to inform us of just any actual world beyond beach city relating to gems. Their shit has been lying all over the planet for millennia, and yet no humans seem interested in investigating it except for Ronaldo, including the people that should be, the scientists and government. Have they researched it already? Do they know that seven ancient space aliens are currently living along the east coast? Where is this recorded? Who's in charge? What the hell are the humans that make differences outside of beach city doing?

There seriously needs to be an episode where Steven and the gems are legitimately investigated, dare I say interrogated about the fact that this alien race of magic users with less than 10 functioning members behind them only began educating humans and training them to protect themselves from the ongoing interstellar war they're trying to hide from after over 5000 years of peace on Earth. It continues to annoy me, in fact, when the last bomb implies the diamonds may head for earth, and they're not doing anything about it.

If nobody is able to fucking defend themselves when homeworld attacks, you can blame Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl for never contacting the human military forces on how to fight gems, or even informing them of an ongoing alien invasion.

i was very disappointed in the rocknaldo episode. with the CN tease they posted on fb with the bloodstone gem i was hoping for a real, new gem but of course we don't get one. it was an okay episode. ronaldo is still annoying as ever but it was a good breather from "storm in the room" because jeez that was an emotional episode. i hope the wrestling episode coming up next will be a little better.

23 hours ago, Chavysonicfan said:

I have to agree for sure! The episode was okay but Ronaldo just gets on my nerves sometimes.  

Yea, I know Ronaldo is supposed to be the self-absorbed elitist nerd type, and is basically a jab at how crazy fans/people online can be in general, but sometimes he can just be a little too overbearing.  

Though again I am glad Steven finally called him out on his self-absorbed nature/ bad attitude, if he actually works on bettering himself in that aspect he might actually be able to be a legit help to the Crystal Gems someday. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I still hate Ronoldo.

And thus I hate this episode.

But I guess I am glad to see that he's not going to be trying to attack the gems or anything anymore.  Hopefully.

I was never a fan of Ronoldo's character either. Personally, I felt it was an ok episode, but not one of the best. The one good thing I liked was Steven calling him on the bad aspects of his character.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I was never a huge fan of Ronaldo to begin with. My girlfriend was saying one of her friends was upset with this episode because it was "character assassination" or flanderizing Ronaldo into being a jerk... I don't think that holds water tho because because Ronaldo has always kind of been a smug self centered jerk??? 

I think some of his behaviour especially the "oh the crystal gems have such a hard struggle -> oh I now a crystal gem -> OH I HAVE SUCH A HARD STRUGGLE" progression really reminded me of some frustrating people I've known in my life. maybe the characterisation was a little mean for this show but it was still really funny.

His favourite show being called "  I Can't Believe My Stepdad's My Sword  " actually made me snort laughing outloud. Of course Ronaldo loves some weird body swap anime.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Ronaldo has always been a jerk to some degree, we just got to see that to the max in the last episode. XD

But yea, hopefully that three-week nap he took at the end of the episode gave him time to reflect on his actions.

Anywho, looking forward to Tiger Philanthropist this week, nice to see them possibly bring back the "underground" wrestling tournaments from season 1.  Wonder if Amethyst will participate again or if any of the newer Crystal Gems like Connie, Peridot & Lapis will participate this time around!?

• Thumbs Up 2

From the preview & leaked pics it looks like (unsurprisingly) Tiger Philanthropist will be an Amethyst & Steven episode.  Makes sense and i'm good with that O guess.

Sad this will probably be the last episode we will get till they do one final bomb for the season 4 finale late this summer. :(  

On 2/27/2017 at 11:42 PM, Remy said:

His favourite show being called "  I Can't Believe My Stepdad's My Sword  " actually made me snort laughing outloud. Of course Ronaldo loves some weird body swap anime.

Honestly, the socially awkward weeaboo side of Ronaldo is a thousand times more hilarious than his irritating self-centered conspiracy theorist side.  The scene in Restaurant Wars where his girlfriend breaks up with him was tragically hilarious.  I feel like the character might be more interesting if they stuck to the angle of him being a dork instead of framing him as a Southern Californian Dale Gribble but with none of the humor and comedic timing.

• Thumbs Up 5

Turns out Tiger Philanthropist isn't the last new episode afterall!  A Room for Ruby airs this Friday!  Looks like Steven & co will finally be saving the Rubies from the void of space.

So I saw a Room for Ruby. I need to catch up with other EPS later.

Spoiler

D'aww man Navy's so cu-HOLY SHUT YOU LITTLE TRAITOR.

I mean, Navy was so cute and at the same time she freaking played Steven, Lapis and Peridot so HARD to get the ship back, with innocence! Navy using that innocent grin when she betrayed them! That betrayal scene was cool and creepy!

Garnet was so cute in her short appearance here. The balloon scene was hilarious.

Also DAMMIT LAPIS WHY DIDN'T YOU CATCH HER WITH YOUR HYDROKINESIS?!

a room for ruby was a cute episode at first but then...navy did the thing. o.o i do not trust her anymore. i also feel like this episode gave us more insight on lapis' feelings and somewhat character development. i can relate to lapis a lot and i'm glad they touched up more on her issues in this episode.

also i saw on facebook that the new episode is not airing this friday? is that true?

17 minutes ago, Skye said:

also i saw on facebook that the new episode is not airing this friday? is that true?

Right.  It's currently scheduled for next Thursday, because apparently someone at Cartoon Network decided that having just three shows take up literally 98% of this week's daytime schedule was a brilliant idea with no flaws in it whatsoever.

https://cnschedulearchive.tumblr.com/post/158317213595/okay-here-we-go-this-is-the-cartoon-network

Seriously, look at this nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Right.  It's currently scheduled for next Thursday, because apparently someone at Cartoon Network decided that having just three shows take up literally 98% of this week's daytime schedule was a brilliant idea with no flaws in it whatsoever.

https://cnschedulearchive.tumblr.com/post/158317213595/okay-here-we-go-this-is-the-cartoon-network

Seriously, look at this nonsense.

This is getting out of hand. It'll end clouding the few things TTG did good (Which isn't much). Good thing Samurai Jack is in Adult Swim so it hasn't to cope with this BS...

Anyway, I heard the next episode will be about Lion right? As in the 4th installment in the Lion episodes?

• Thumbs Up 3