Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

22 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

Trust me. It's not the first time CN have done something this stupid with Steven Universe before.

Besides. You think they would've taken the video down if it weren't that heavy?

Yeah, you're right.

8 hours ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

Considering all the details in the background, the lack of abstract that dreams in that show normally has, the fact that it got taken down, and what Rebecca ha dto say in a now deleted tweet:

9KmzIvn.png

I think it's safe to say that it wasn't a dream we saw.

What's that? Cartoon Network clearly has content security that's frequently asleep at the wheel and/or a spy amongst their ranks?

This is unheard of!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Honestly this happens so often to the point that I think CN are actually doing this on purpose. This show has been mishandled almost since the beginning so I don't think it's a stretch to assume that this may be the case.

I missed the first new episode, but I caught the 2nd new episode...well let me just say everyone's mind will be collectively blown.

15 minutes ago, Jetronic said:

I missed the first new episode, but I caught the 2nd new episode...well let me just say everyone's mind will be collectively blown.

Oh shoot, I forgot about that! I guess the most viable option right now is to catch them again at 6 AM on the next two days.

All I can say about what I saw:

I FUCKING KNEW IT

Same! lol I really hope we won’t have to wait too long for the next few episodes. They can’t leave us like this! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'VE BEEN WAITING FIVE FUCKING YEARS. 

I HAD TO DEAL WITH THOSE FFFFFFFFFUCKING FILLER EPISODES that yes they helped with the worldbuilding and characterization of the cast and the citizens of Beach City understandable have a nice day. 

BUT HERE WE ARE.

Spoiler

PINK FUCKING DIAMOND WAS ROSE QUARTZ ALL ALONG

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. 

Five years for this moment.

Was it worth the weight damn right it was worth the weight. 

Now where's my White Diamond reveal at boi. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Then this means

Steven is in fact half-diamond and not a quartz

EDIT: By the way, all of this made Steven Universe figure in Twitter's list of tendencies. At least within the spanish speaking community

Welp, this more or less rendered this incomplete theory I had invalid.

Spoiler

I'm somewhat convinced that Pearl was the one who killed Pink Diamond, but she didn't do so willingly. She's actually a Manchurian Agent given subconscious commands by White Diamond, and was secretly activated to kill Pink Diamond, and then was made to suppress the memory.

Why? Well several things need to be taken into consideration:

1) Pearl seems to knows something that the other Gems don't know, but isn't able to talk about it. This is pretty much a major plot point, or at least one that I think will be one, since it's clear that it'll probably be something really shocking regarding Pink Diamond or Rose Quartz.

2) The thing that gets me about Pearls in general is that they're simultaneously the lowest rank of the Gem hierarchy, yet they're arguably one of the most important (if never acknowledged) ones as well since they're essentially glued to the hip of the highest ranked Gems, whether through design like with the Diamond Authority or through merit like most high ranking gems. This essentially means that not only are they often privy to secrets and details that most other gems would never even know of, but they would also be in prime position to know of what high ranking gems are doing, including potential talks of mutiny or rebellious thought. The only reason why this would be the case for Pearls and not any other kind of gem is because of the Pearls being considered little more than property.

As such, this would also arguably make them the perfect spies and if need be, assassins for someone who was intelligent enough to not care about these prejudices, but also clever enough to take advantage of it.

I mean think about it. Some of the most dangerous assassins in the world were the ones who could disguise themselves as the most unassuming, below notice types of people in the world. Peasants, slaves, servants, and women during the really olden times when they were seen as property, etc.

And what if to further add to the twist, it turns out that Pearls are designed with in-built combat functions that only Pearls and a select few even know about exist, but aren't allowed to tell because White Diamond made sure of it? This would potentially add some questions about whether Pearl has any real autonomy, or if even her supposed unique traits are just another aspect of her programming by the Diamonds.

Anyways, going off of the theory that one of the Diamonds was Pink's killer, it's possible that White Diamond is the most likely culprit behind the assassination via Pearl.

Now for the reason?

Well based on how each of the Diamonds is characterized (Yellow is outwardly stoic, but is clearly a fiery and temperamental person, Blue is calm but also immensely saddened due to her loss, and Pink is apparently something of a spoiled emotional brat with a need to please), I think it's likely that White Diamond would either have a massive God Complex, or be a stoic and highly logical person with few emotional attachments, with Yellow and Blue (and later Pink) covering those areas and basically acting as the ultimate counterpart to all of them.

Pink getting her colony was inevitable since Yellow and Blue did clearly at least care enough to give her a chance, but White Diamond arguably trusted Pink even less than the others, going so far as to send her own personal Pearl to keep an eye on Pink to make sure she didn't cause any problems.

Her own personal Pearl being the Crystal Gems' Pearl before she joined the rebellion.

Things were okay by Homeworld standards at first, but Pink would start doing things that White Diamond would see as an affront to the overall stability of not only Homeworld, but also to herself, as a result of the aforementioned God Complex/Logic driven mindset. However, she didn't want to risk turning the other Diamonds against her.

Then comes Rose.

Taking advantage of this, she manipulates the situation so that Rose is in the prime position to seem like an assassin, while Crystal Gem Pearl shapeshifts into Rose and kills Pink, framing Rose while also being commanded to essentially keep her silence...perhaps permanently.

However, in a twist, Rose chooses to save Pearl from a potentially permanent end, though unfortunately is unable to fully undo the programming set on Pearl. This earns Rose Pearl's loyalty, and now White Diamond has a big problem; she has witnesses to her evil deed, and she needs to dispose of them. Eventually this leads to a full blown war in White's secret attempts to off Rose and Pearl, taking advantage of her sisters' grief and rage to cover her own misdeeds, and she probably believed that she succeeded in destroying them when the music corruption wave hit Earth and corrupted all of the gems.

That aside, I'll be honest

Spoiler

I have REEEEEEAAAALLY mixed feelings on the matter. I mean on the one hand, it's a big twist that's sure to catch people off guard. But on the other hand, I feel like it might have ended up being a cheap cop out more than anything.

For one thing, it kinda feels like this renders the hints from "The Trial" a bit pointless, since it turns out the only one who "killed" Pink Diamond was herself (via Pearl as proxy), instead of leading to a potentially more dramatic reveal that it was done by White Diamond, since it's at least established that Yellow and Blue did care about their sister, even if in different ways.

Secondly, it also potentially screws up one of the overarching themes of the series, the idea that you can be who you want to be...but Pink Diamond being Rose Quartz makes it seem like this could be rendered a Broken Aesop by accident, since it would imply that the other gems were still ultimately only following the authority of the Diamonds, even if it was one who ultimately rebelled. Plus it means that other gems could essentially only "be free" only because Steven as Pink Diamond said so, not because of their own free will. Additionally, I can't see Bismuth or Jasper taking this kind of revelation very well; the former due to her hatred of the Diamond Authority, the latter because it would not only conflict with her hatred, but also if she does do a Heel Face Turn, it'll feel like it was done because of Pink Diamond, not because Steven did so out of his own kindness and strength of character.

I apologize if I'm not doing the best job of explaining my thoughts, but this reveal was shocking...yet also somewhat worrying. If anyone feels like giving a good counter argument, this would probably be the time, since I'm having a hard time explaining what it is that bugs me about this reveal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

tumblr_p8dwk11p661vpigryo1_500.png

(From Your Mother and Mine)

I love that this show handles foreshadowing.

The only question I have now is what causes Corruption?

Also, I hope they can get Sapphire back...and it's interesting to see that Sapphire's the one getting mad this time instead of Ruby.

EDIT: Teaser for upcoming episodes MAJOR SPOILER

Spoiler

tumblr_p8dvrwq9hP1u5x07io1_540.giftumblr_p8dvrwq9hP1u5x07io2_540.gif

21 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

tumblr_p8dvrwq9hP1u5x07io2_540.gif

Holy fucking shit.

Wait.

Spoiler

If Blue and Yellow seem to... Make peace? With the Crystal Gems then where does White Diamond fit in?

Don't you fucking tell me they won't have White Diamond in the show. 

Where's my goddamn White Diamond.

6 minutes ago, Blue Wisp said:

Holy fucking shit.

Wait.

Hide contents

If Blue and Yellow seem to... Make peace? With the Crystal Gems then where does White Diamond fit in?

Don't you fucking tell me they won't have White Diamond in the show. 

Where's my goddamn White Diamond.

Spoiler

Something in my gut tells me that scene might have been a calm before the storm moment, like maybe Blue/Yellow at first are happy to find out that Pink Diamond was effectively alive, but then the rifts show up when Pink Diamond's essential abandonment of her duties, combined with Blue and Yellow's still present classism/racism will make things very tense and problematic. Not necessarily a cause for war (unless White Diamond does something), but DEFINITELY something that will make things awkward.

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:
  Hide contents

Something in my gut tells me that scene might have been a calm before the storm moment, like maybe Blue/Yellow at first are happy to find out that Pink Diamond was effectively alive, but then the rifts show up when Pink Diamond's essential abandonment of her duties, combined with Blue and Yellow's still present classism/racism will make things very tense and problematic. Not necessarily a cause for war (unless White Diamond does something), but DEFINITELY something that will make things awkward.

Spoiler

Oh yes it'll be awkward as fuck especially with how much the Crystal Gems hate/hated the diamonds. It won't be easy. 

But it's a bit predictable that Yellow and Blue will reach peace. And then I don't know "sorry for corrupting your friends" and leave.

And then White Diamond arrives and fucks shit up because memes and global domination or something.

Just now, Blue Wisp said:
  Hide contents

Oh yes it'll be awkward as fuck especially with how much the Crystal Gems hate/hated the diamonds. It won't be easy. 

But it's a bit predictable that Yellow and Blue will reach peace. And then I don't know "sorry for corrupting your friends" and leave.

And then White Diamond arrives and fucks shit up because memes and global domination or something.

Spoiler

Honestly, it might end up leading to an even bigger sense of betrayal on all parts, like maybe Yellow and Blue end up feeling even more disconnected and potentially disowning Steven, and then gearing up for war or something. Or perhaps they just end up not wanting anything to do with her anymore. I dunno, anything could happen at this point.

Managed to catch an inevitable quick upload just in time.

Anyone else channel the Nostalgia Critic during the It review near the end there?

Oh my truckloads of God! I knew it! Soooo, while Amethyst's reaction likely mirrored the reactions that fans who didn't believe the theory I've supported reacted.

How on earth are all the other characters gonna react to

Spoiler

Mother Pink Diamond

Spoiler

in disguise

Rosing Quartz

Oooooh! Let's see, to Lapis

Spoiler

who's afraid to all crap of the diamonds,

Jasper,

Spoiler

if she ever gets cured is

gonna  have a field day with that!

Spoiler

The very diamond she praises, lived and died by was the same gem she hated to high heaven!

Speaking of which given that little space trip fiasco in a bubble with Eyeball, I'm sure she'll love

Spoiler

knowing she almost freaking killed Pink Diamond with her own knife.

Of course, I guess we may know how

Spoiler

Blue and Yellow Diamond

are gonna be thanks to that previous leak.

Still though! The vindication! It's so fueling!!!!!AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

original.gif

Ahem. IN the meantime peeps.

We've got a new promo.

Spoiler

And oh boy! Saphhire's pissed!

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally saw the latest two episodes and here's my thoughts about A Pale Rose-

Spoiler

THE ROSE QUARTZ IS PINK DIAMOND THEORY IS ACTUALLY REAL WHAT THE FUCK

And all this for a freaking cellphone

FOR A FUKING CELLPHONE

Also Greg actually fell in love with a DIAMOND. Let that sink in.

Amythest and Garnets reactions at the end is also me.

Also Dammit Lapis don't go again!!!

Spoiler

It was not hard to figure she was that. I had a bunch way back and that was just a code name

Edited by Kiah
Put spoilers in spoiler tags. Especially after you get called out for it.

Spoiler

I wonder if PD is special in able to shapeshift for a long time, or all gems can do it as long as they don't strain themselves?

Also, if PD was able to completely alter her appearance (even skintone) by turning her gem, I wonder if all gems can do it too?

14 hours ago, KoDaiko said:
  Hide contents

I wonder if PD is special in able to shapeshift for a long time, or all gems can do it as long as they don't strain themselves?

Also, if PD was able to completely alter her appearance (even skintone) by turning her gem, I wonder if all gems can do it too?

The answer question 2, there was a tweet or somethin a good while back saying no.

• The title was changed to Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

Wanted to leave a note since it was brought up recently and staff had talked about it, but we're probably going to be a little more lax about spoilers in this thread. Think how Dragon Ball thread is currently handled. By all means, tag things as a courtesy, and spoiler tags should always been in effect when discussing leaked material/anything not officially out yet, but since this has always been a general thread discussing what's new in the series you're probably entering it at your own risk anyway.

Also, while we're going to be lax in this thread, this does not apply to status updates. People can't easily ignore or avoid those, so spoilers posted there must always be tagged.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

I’m still curious about the story garnet told regarding pink diamond and roses argument towards eachother. Weren’t there witnesses? Or was that pearl the entire time?