Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

WINNERS OF STEVEN UNIVERSE FAN DESIGN CONTEST

Whole your weapons - GRAND PRIZE WINNER

Designed by Fernanda Dias

32504-submit.jpg

Wise Words from Greg - JUDGES PICK: REBECCA SUGAR
Designed by Natalie Valalik

31343-submit.jpg

OOPS - JUDGES PICK: IAN JONES-QUARTEY
Designed by Amber Rogers

28011-submit.jpg

Group Photo! - JUDGES PICK: STEVEN SUGAR
Designed by Erin Shin

28314-submit.jpg

Ice Cream Hunt - RUNNER UP
Designed by Maya Dumas

28332-submit.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 7 months later...

#Stevenbomb continues in an hour with today's new episode, Political Power!

tumblr_nl0nysfqSA1qgydino1_1280.jpg

And yes, that image does depict a SU high school AU.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's two-parter: The Return, followed by Jailbreak!

It's only 5 hours till the #Stevenbomb 2 part special starts. In the meantime, have a 4 part comic of the new episode, Jail Break

tumblr_nl2krgctn91rszotho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl2krgctn91rszotho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl2krgctn91rszotho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl2krgctn91rszotho4_1280.jpg

See you till then for The Return & Jail Break 2 part special and Full Disclosure tomorrow.

Today's new (double) episode was AMAZING.  The revelation about Garnet (and her song) was particularly great.  I think Steven Universe may just be the best cartoon on TV right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy sht! That 2 parter was amazing! I definitely wasn't expecting the revelation about Garnett and I absolutely loved her song too!

• Thumbs Up 1

Garnet's song and the scene it accompanied is possibly my favourite thing in cartoons ever. Ever. And I'm pretty sure we're not even halfway through the number of episodes planned...I can only imagine how they're going to top all of this.

Also:

Garnet's gleeful reaction to Stevonnie is even sweeter now considering she's a fusion as well.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 6

"That feel when a character you like is actually two characters you like" is officially going on my list of "things I never thought I'd say, but they've turned out to be a solid basis of comparison for how shocked I was about something."

Seriously, though, that was a very impactful two-parter, to say the least.  So many emotions on high and just wonderful characterization all throughout.  Absolutely loved it! <3

• Thumbs Up 7

All I need to say is....

Garnet vs Jasper beats Twilight vs Tirek.

That is all.

Well, okay, I'll say that the fight was just well animated with great music accompaniment and wasn't just an over glorified DBZ-esque lasers and energy ball flair.

In case anyone was wondering about the nature of Ruby and Sapphire's relationship:

http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/113498250748/are-you-allowed-to-tell-us-if-sapphire-and-rubys

Had a feeling that was the case, and it's very awesome that it's confirmed canon.  This show just gets more amazing every episode.  My goodness, can you imagine if SU ever got a movie?

Just a small question about the revelation of Garnet.

So do what kind of couple do we call Ruby and Sapphire? I would say lesbians but the gems are genderless.

Just a small question about the revelation of Garnet.

So do what kind of couple do we call Ruby and Sapphire? I would say lesbians but the gems are genderless.

It would depend ultimately upon what they ultimately identify as.  Garnet, as far as I know, considers herself a woman first and foremost, so I imagine it would be suitable to call them lesbians.  I don't think they would object to the label anyway.

Everyone goes on and on about Garnet's song and scenes as being the best in the series, but I think this is the highlight of the last couple of episodes, along with the rest of Steven's attempt at running away from Connie.

It made me realize that, as annoying as it was when it was teasing us with more info and never fufilling enough exposition to be satisfying, this show is all from Steven's point of view. There may be a few scenes for other characters, such as Garnet's fight and the like, but mostly it's all from Steven's perspective. The details were never ellaborated on because he never cared about them all those times he passed by the gems talking. He was just a kid wanting to hang out with his pals.

But now that the details are important to him, the implications and consequences come with them and they hit him hard, even to the point where he considers and even attempts to go all Batman on everybody to protect them. In the end, though... he's still a kid. And as a kid, he doesn't want to betray his real feelings for other people. So when it comes down to a final confrontation, what does he do?

He collapses emotionally.

This is honestly the first part in the entire show where I've actually cared much about Steven and his character, but my goodness, seeing a kid go through all that, and even attempt to build his first poorly-executed emotional barriers... that was painful to watch. Not to mention, the choice he made in the end was surprising to me, as not only did it avoid the usual cliche of changing the status quo just for the sake of it, it led to a heartwarming scene between Steven and Connie, who cared more about his eye than any of the shenanigans that most characters would have an issue with immediately.

In the end, Steven is still a kid and needs his friends and family alongside him as he continues his journey as a gem, but it's also a turning point in that he's also now a little more prepared and mature to handle whatever comes his way as a result of all this mess.

At least I hope it is, because what's a coming of age series without a change of perspective later on?

tumblr_nl84dgrVto1r9xd73o1_1280.png

That does explain why Garnet has 3 eyes, super strength, and something as powerful as "Future Vision".

I never expected that. I kinda figured it out during the beginning of "Jailbreak", but not before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got to see the episode "On The Run".  Ho... ly crap.  I love this show.  It's like this show has absolutely no boundaries and it's not afraid to abuse that.  Very few shows animated or not have the raw emotion this show does.  Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I was dreading this, but the previews have been very funny, so I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to this. I haven't seen much of Uncle Grandpa, but I like what little we've seen of the crossover from the promos.

Uncle Grandpa isn't a great show by any means, but it can be good in small doses.  Which is why I'm actually going into this with high hopes, with it just being a single episode.  I'm assuming the reason this exists was to help promote one show (UG) by using a far more popular and superior show (SU) in the hopes more people will watch the former?

While I'm not a fan of Uncle Grandpa, from the previews, this is looking pretty good so I have high hopes for this!

"Don't worry kid... none of this is canon." - Uncle Grandpa.

And all worry was gone.

That was the best thing ever.  All the fouth wall breaking jokes had me dying laughing.  I absolutely loved Pearl losing her damn mind over all the insanity ("THIS IS OUR NEW HOME!" LOL).  The only low point was the brief time spent in Uncle Grandpa world, but even that was alright.  It got a little preachy at the end but at least the message was good.  And the last joke was great.  Makes you wonder if any other crossover episodes are in the works.  Easily one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

RIP Pizza Steve.

• Thumbs Up 3

The best thing about all of that was the whole thing with Amethyst and Pizza Steve. It played off of her character well, and her joke about hoping Steven didn't care so much about him got the biggest laugh out of me in that "oh shit" kind of way.

I just really don't like Pizza Steve.

Overall, pretty cute and harmless, even without the whole canon pun in the beginning. I wasn't much of a fan of how much they flanderized and stretched Pearl's absolute misery, but the visual gags and meta commentary were good. It seemed like everyone had a good time.

• Thumbs Up 4