Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Btw, anyone else think a name like Volleyball risks being offensive?

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:
  Hide contents

Is it me or is it becoming a game for the SU writers to figure out how to make Pink Diamond even more of an unlikable scumbag? Like I admit I’m still catching up on earlier seasons, but she was meant to be likeable at some point, yeah?

Spoiler

As Mega Pearl comes to grips with before and after her fusion, Rose/Pink changed herself upon realizing her faults and tried to change everything else as she did with mixed results. Pink Diamond as a former identity of Rose Quartz is ultimately meant to be a complex character that festered under the expectations of her own upbringing, came to understand how awful that all was, and unwittingly makes a lot of decisions that make things worse for a lot of people in the process of making things better.

Of course, all that is borne a reflection of how fucked up it is to be a Diamond.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:
  Hide contents

Even that is completely fucked. SU The Movie attempted to address it by having Steven annoyed by the Diamonds and their attempts to use him as a replacement for Pink, and pointing out the fact that the Diamonds aren't really changing their ways due to actual acknowledgement of wrong-doing on their part, but rather just to appease Steven to make him stay, and then trying to throw his own lessons back into his face at any given chance (White Diamond's "judge a book" comment at the end of the movie).

But then that contradict even that by having Steven not only purposefully being insensitive as hell towards Spinell during her villainous breakdown when she thought Steven used her and was about to throw her away, despite the fact Steven's whole shtick is meant to be his words, and his ability to get through to others through sheer friendliness and kindness, but then despite everything else, Steven decides to just kill two birds with one stone and pawn off Spinell and her bundle of abandonment and mental problems off to the Diamonds, who want to use her as a Pink surrogate.

So instead of addressing both the Diamonds and Spinell's actually legitimate problems and the fact they are very clearly unhealthy for each other, because Spinell's just going to continue the cycle over and over again as soon as the Diamonds get tired of her, and the Diamonds are just going to continue the cycle of trying to find Pink Diamond replacements instead of actively bothering to make an attempt to have either of them grow past their issues and legitimately redeem themselves. 

I don't have an issue with the idea of redeeming them as much as I have an issue with them taking the clear lazy option to do it. Instead of forcing them to address the problems, understand why they did wrong, and have them grow - much like they did with Peridot or Bismuth, instead both of these characters have ulterior motives, and in Spinell's case - some incredibly serious mental problems, and instead of an active attempt at helping them, Steven basically throws them away to solve their own shit while he does whatever.

Like yeah, I can get the Diamonds at least, Steven seemingly had to deal with them being clingy nutcases for two years, and constantly bugging him to throw away his life on Earth to live with them, but Spinell? Someone who was completely abandoned and driven insane with isolation and loneliness, who really can't be blamed that much for her own mental issues as much as Pink Diamond should be blamed for it, Steven basically just threw his hands up, said not his problem, and left her to The Diamonds, basically acting as a time-bomb until Spinell explodes again because her issues weren't properly addressed, and instead were just buried with a temporary solution. Like what? 

So even them trying to make Pink more and more awful in every appearance or story continuation doesn't even make sense for addressing the Diamonds being redeemed because even their own attempts at that during SU The Movie were really fucking terrible.

Spoiler

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if the Crewniverse is really paying any attention to what they're writing. Because in-universe, this just makes Steven seem to be extremely selective with his empathy at best, or he's basically a subtler Pink Diamond who subconsciously manipulates people into his way of thinking. Guess the Diamond blood still runs in him.

46 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:
  Hide contents

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if the Crewniverse is really paying any attention to what they're writing. Because in-universe, this just makes Steven seem to be extremely selective with his empathy at best, or he's basically a subtler Pink Diamond who subconsciously manipulates people into his way of thinking. Guess the Diamond blood still runs in him.

Alright Jasper.

Spoiler

But yeah, in the movie, it was explicitly supposed to be Steven simply wanting things to over regarding what his mom and the Diamonds did, so he was unintentionally distant towards her at times. He ultimately left the option of appeasing the Diamonds up to Spinel herself after warning her that they aren't the best company.

• Thumbs Up 2

We have a preview for the next Episode

Steven experiences a series of strange "pranks". Who could be the culprit?

• 2 months later...

Time for another Special

Steven Universe embarks on its final journey with a with a heartfelt four-part special on Friday, March 6 at 7p!

Wait, it's the end already???

That was a surprisingly brief and relatively release-paced season.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Time for another Special

Spoiler

Looks like something's trying to get to Steven through his mind and the house gets stolen.

3 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Wait, it's the end already???

That was a surprisingly brief and relatively release-paced season.

Yeah seriously, if that's so.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Looks like something's trying to get to Steven through his mind and the house gets stolen.

Yeah seriously, if that's so.

I've heard very...mixed (and that's being nice) opinions of Future. What's the damage so far in the consensus?

9 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

I've heard very...mixed (and that's being nice) opinions of Future. What's the damage so far in the consensus?

I haven't looked that much, but what I've seen involves praise of the side characters(minus maybe Shep), some measures of minor catharsis, complaints of certain key characters barely being in it, and some people not vibing with Steven's attitude.

5 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Ummmm, yes.

On surface it looks like nothing changed (um, style-wise). Still big focus on feels, same characters, same crazy scenarios and expanding the lore, learning the past.
And yes, something missing. Conflicts feel shallow, comedy is weak, new elements feel token. But worst of all, Steven is really unlikable. Original series had this amazing quality when main heroes did something bad, you still understood and symphatized with them.

Here I just felt "Oh my gosh, grow up, Steven! You were more mature as a kid!"

There are good bits here and there, but I'm glad show is ending.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ummmm, yes.

On surface it looks like nothing changed (um, style-wise). Still big focus on feels, same characters, same crazy scenarios and expanding the lore, learning the past.
And yes, something missing. Conflicts feel shallow, comedy is weak, new elements feel token. But worst of all, Steven is really unlikable. Original series had this amazing quality when main heroes did something bad, you still understood and symphatized with them.

Here I just felt "Oh my gosh, grow up, Steven! You were more mature as a kid!"

There are good bits here and there, but I'm glad show is ending.

I'd say a big part of it is because Steven Universe had an overarching myth arc and mystery regarding the Gem War, the Diamond Authority and Rose Quartz to keep people's interest, so the weak conflicts and questionable elements were usually pushed aside or forgiven because people were distracted by the other elements.

Future doesn't really have either a mystery or the Gem War/Diamond Authority to act as a major distraction or source of interest, so Steven Universe's past weaknesses can't be glossed over as easily or were greatly amplified by the SU Crew's weaknesses as writers and storytellers.

According to this press release, we're in for 10 more episodes with the final being on March 27th. Turned out to be around the length I expected. 20 episodes with a somewhat minor (as far as this show is concerned sadly) hiatus in the middle.

As for the actual quality of Future, got to say that I'm sort of surprised to be learning that it's as mixed as it is. I mean, I can see why some have problems with it, but imo it's been pretty solid.

The main criticisms seemed to be centered around Steven's attitude which is something I honestly found to be pretty refreshing all things considered. Don't get me wrong, I love Steven's purpose in the main show as an anchor for everyone else around him but like damn, the kid was only 14. I honestly have to chuck a lot of his ability to handle such events to him simply being a bit too naive to fully understand their implications. Though even then, a lot of the real heavy shit started going down in the last season of it so those reactions to that news never really had time to settle in him.

Fast forward two or so years into Future and yeah, that shit is coming to a boil after the events in the movie. Steven has grown, is still going through big changes in his own life (like most do at that age even without the super saiyan pink thing), and is starting to have to focus in on himself now that the Gem threat has mostly died down. That is a recipe for conflict that I was hoping Future would tackle and I'm, so far, pleased with what it has shown. Steven's attitude and reactions to certain things feel justified considering the life he's had up until now.

I'm just hoping we get a solid conclusion to some of the plot threads left out there. Mainly some closure for Pink. I can understand trying to leave things on the ol' "it's left ambiguous for you to come to your own conclusions" bit but tbh, I'd actually like to get some final word on that front. The character has been a driving force since the first gd episode and has been through so many twist and turns without even being around. I want some damn closure on it all lol.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, DabigRG said:

Apparently Spinel the Hedgehog was gonna be a thing if a recent artbook is any indication.

Can you show us for context?

I’m confused, wasn’t it known from the beginning this would be a short season? Wasn’t the phrasing more along the lines of a finale miniseries than a proper 52 episode season?

You know, now that they've settled on the story being about Steven inability to accept how life has changed after all he's been through, I think these episodes have gotten better in quality.

It's just too bad the Homeworld Gem stuff ended up not being that significant to the storyline so far.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:37 AM, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Can you show us for context?

Ope, sorry, wasn't at a good place to posting it and forgot for a while.

ER1U2bJXYAAlW8b.jpg

11 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Why am I not surprised?

Because it was predicted not long after the intro was shown?

• My Emmerdoods 1

Spoiler

So...Steven accidentally shattered Jasper...

Don't worry, though, he was able to bring her back...

He's out of Diamond Soap though...

12 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

So...Steven accidentally shattered Jasper...

Don't worry, though, he was able to bring her back...

He's out of Diamond Soap though...

Makes sense considering next week

We will always be your family, Steven. Fans, you've wondered for years. Now you FINALLY get all the answers. Don't miss the 4-episode-finale of Steven Universe Future next Friday at 7p on Cartoon Network!

Jojo Steven tho. I’m kinda diggin that form. Minus the homicidal insane part.

but being super serious for a second, my mouth was dropped for this entire thing. From Steven loosing all respect of his dad, all the way Steven going insane for a moment and doing the one thing he was morally against in every sense, down to the core of his being, and shattering Jasper. And yeah, jasper got fixed, but now he’s being referred to as a diamond by his once enemy, which he DOESNT want to be compared to. This episode took a dark turn, and I’m seriously at the edge of my seat in anticipation for the finale, cause oh boy.