Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Yeah, this was a pretty fun episode to be sure. Pearl's over the top overreactions were priceless and Amethyst being so chill about it esp. with the three-way sandwich and eating Pizza Steve. Also, Mr Gus's self-insert OC Crystal Gem was pretty funny too.

Also, did anyone took a good look at the crossover list that UG had at the end?

I remember Dexter, Dee Dee, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n' Eddy (want to see this), Grim, Billy and Mandy (and this), Finn (want to see this one too) and Clarence. But the one that caught me off guard the most was Swat Katz. Honest to goodness somebody remembers Swat Katz! (Hopefully, I wasn't missing anyone else.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Juniper Lee and Flapjack were also on the crossover list.

This was really good,

"Don't worry kid... none of this is canon." - Uncle Grandpa.

a17.png

The episode in a nutshell, basically.  The best thing about this is that it actually works to Pearl's character, even if only done for humor purposes here.  She is a control freak and any time in the series she hasn't been in control she has shown signs of losing it somewhat.  And I just love her (and the other Gems) "I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS SO WE MUST KILL IT!!!" mentality throughout the whole episode.

• Thumbs Up 8

My favourite jokes in the episode was Sadie and Lars' ship being sunk and the whole 'Run Away' gag (particularly Amethyst tripping over the Y)

The weird thing is that despite not ever having seen Uncle Grandpa watching the crossover made me go back to Steven Universe (I saw cheeseburger backpack and one of the other ones) and now I'm hooked.

Really looking forward to this week's episode. Greg is my favorite character, and him getting more development is always good.

It looks like we may finally see how he and Rose met for the first time, which is pretty exciting!

• Thumbs Up 4

Would also give us more insight on Rose as a person and why she seemed to leave the Gems for Greg.

Maybe she grew tired of fighting and wanted to settle down with someone?  To enjoy the simple pleasures of Earth and it offers since it's pretty much their home now? Who knows, I'm just eager to see more Rose as an actual character and her interactions with Greg. She's one of those characters who gets talked about frequently by the other characters and it just peaks interest to see and hear her live up to this hype.

• Thumbs Up 2

Today's new episode was great!  It made Greg even more so one of my favorite characters.  And please tell me we'll get more of Rose in the future.  Her relationship with Greg is just adorable to me.  The Gems "old" look and more hints of Pearl's feelings towards Rose and Greg were nice touches, too.  Now the long wait for the next new episode.

Would also give us more insight on Rose as a person and why she seemed to leave the Gems for Greg.

Maybe she grew tired of fighting and wanted to settle down with someone?  To enjoy the simple pleasures of Earth and it offers since it's pretty much their home now? Who knows, I'm just eager to see more Rose as an actual character and her interactions with Greg. She's one of those characters who gets talked about frequently by the other characters and it just peaks interest to see and hear her live up to this hype.

This has been circulating, originally found on Ian JQ's twitter. He is the supervising director for Steven Universe:

tumblr_nmjwelGSA91smn4pqo1_500.jpg

The original post was removed for technical reasons according to their twitter and would go up again eventually, but they say the response has been overwhelming.

I reeeally want to see more of Rose in future episodes. She's such a great character, and the buildup throughout the series made actually seeing her so much better. I couldn't help but smile like a dweeb every time young Greg and Rose interacted. I also loved seeing how the Gems interacted with Rose. They seemed a lot more carefree when Rose was around, but that could just be me. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I was hoping for more Rose screentime, but I did love the episode a ton as it is. It'd be cool to see flashback episodes in the future, though I feel like they may space them out a little or something (s'what I'd do anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

I was hoping for more Rose screentime, but I did love the episode a ton as it is. It'd be cool to see flashback episodes in the future, though I feel like they may space them out a little or something (s'what I'd do anyway).

Oh, I definitely think we'll see more of her at some point. But like you said, I'm sure they will space it out. As much as I love Rose, the show is about Steven and his adventures, so they're not going to flood it with backstory every episode. 

Binge Watched this over the weekend.  

After Peridot, Jasper's design seems like they let themselves down I had to look up a picture of her to remind myself that she isn't wearing combat boots.  I have a more succinct way of putting it, but not one for use in polite company.  

Next stop: Empire City

The one what from infamous or Sonic?  Yeah, this generic city name needs to be put to rest. 

But Jasper had that really cool headbutt helmet! I suppose she was a bit generic though. That being said, for some reason Peridot's design makes me think of Gretchen Grundler from Recess (the smart one).

Wait, substantially different cellular structure (if you can call it that), focus on teleportation, breaking down the earth for raw materials, a beaten but greater foe that they're cut off from, the gems are Psychlos!  

While you were learning to Spell your name!

But Jasper had that really cool headbutt helmet! I suppose she was a bit generic though. That being said, for some reason Peridot's design makes me think of Gretchen Grundler from Recess (the smart one).

Iron pompadour aside she seemed a little, uh, let's say conventional by the series' standards.  A lot of the character designs have a Mega Man Legends vibe to them, Really a standout aspect outside of Jasper.  Of course I've seen those pilot designs, lotta change happened there.  

• 3 weeks later...

The new episode Reformed just premiered. It was overall amusing, what with Amethyst's constant regenerations and the surprise of what each one would look like. It was also particularly surprising seeing Amethyst continually try Garnet's patience; I don't remember them ever really butting heads, particularly since Garnet tends to casually go along with Steven's plans, and in a way I can't help but feel that Amethyst tends to be unnecessarily argumentative and uncooperative in a way that can work the nerves. Granted, I may be looking at the material with a rather surface-level interpretation.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought the conflict, while not surprising for a character like Amethyst, seemed to sort of come out of left field.  Like, I know it was brought on by the Crying Breakfast Friends or whatever quiz, but it felt like everything was sort of quickly strung together.  We don't really get a seamless trigger or a moment where everyone begins to understand Amethyst and they sort of make amends.  The pacing just seemed really awful.  I watched it twice and both times it felt like five minutes.  I also can't help but feel with the Slinker still on the loose that nothing was really accomplished in the episode.  Basically, we explore Amethyst's insecurities, investigate the Silinker in her room, and then that's it.  I don't feel like there was ever a deeper understanding of the characters or a change in the character dynamics or an advancement of the plot.

Still, it was a pretty amusing episode, with some funny bits and pieces along the way.  I really enjoy Garnet's dynamic not just as the leader of the Crystal Gems, but as a motherly figure to them all.  It's always heartwarming.  And despite it not really seeming to go anywhere, it's always nice to explore what lies beyond Amethyst's rough exterior.  It was an okay episode, in other words.  Just didn't feel like a very eventful one, despite all the things that happened in it.

I rather enjoyed the new episode and I'm digging Amethyst's (slightly) new look.  Amethyst has always been one of the more interesting characters for me, if only because her past seems a little more shrouded in mystery than the other Gems.  She always seems so rebellious and yet at the same time desperately seeking the approval of others in some way, shape or form.  I'm hoping we get an in-depth flashback/origins story for her someday.  I'm also wondering if we'll ever get a Garnet "reformed" episode since Pearl and Amethyst got theirs.

This week on Things That Shouldn't Have Made Me Cry But Did...

I mean, Amethyst did seem to be trying, but... Ouch. That was painful.

I rather enjoyed the new episode and I'm digging Amethyst's (slightly) new look.  Amethyst has always been one of the more interesting characters for me, if only because her past seems a little more shrouded in mystery than the other Gems.  She always seems so rebellious and yet at the same time desperately seeking the approval of others in some way, shape or form.  I'm hoping we get an in-depth flashback/origins story for her someday.  I'm also wondering if we'll ever get a Garnet "reformed" episode since Pearl and Amethyst got theirs.

Wasn't that what Jail Break was for? Her look did change slightly too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't that what Jail Break was for? Her look did change slightly too.

Shows how much I pay attention.  I didn't really notice much of a change.  Now I remember... she did get split and turned to gems when that happened.  I should've known something would've changed there.

Well, it looks like a hiatus is upon us.

I really hope "later this summer" doesn't mean as late as, say, August. I only just got into the show around the time of the Uncle Grandpa crossover and it'll be jarring to go from a binge to a weekly schedule, and then nothing. The crew's gotta do what they gotta do, though.

The purported "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies" episode to come afterward sounds interesting, at least. Hopefully we'll also get a new intro now that all of the Crystal Gems have new looks.