Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Oh hey, there's a Steven Universe thread already? That's cool.

Anyway, I've been hosting the last two episodes on my YT channel under unlisted links. So if you wanna watch them at all, here they are.
Gem Glow/Laser Light Cannon
Cheeseburger Backpack/Together Breakfast

I also plan on uploading Frybo and a HD version of episode 2 in about 20 minutes or so. Just gotta find decent enough links.

Speaking of Frybo..

That possessed Frybo costume was absolutely terrifying. It's most likely gonna haunt my dreams for weeks to come.

Edited by DevoMako
  • Thumbs Up 2

Steven_Universe_pre-release_poster.jpg

Rebecca Sugar, music maker and storyboard artist who helped created I Remember You and Simon and Marcy from Adventure Time, had branched out to create a new cartoon on CN, Steven Universe.

I've created this since a preview clip for the show is up on CN's site along with other cartoon shorts (that may or may not be previews to new toons as well): http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/cartoon-network-shorts/video/steven-universe-clip.html

Garnet (the girl in the middle of the pic) looks pretty bad@$$ and the clip was pretty funny and the premise seems to be shaping up into something really interesting, promising and good along the way. 

So anyone excited for this?

Edited by Chakra

Just watched the first five episodes, and I'm really liking it so far. All of the characters are likable, and I'm looking forward to more.

I don't have a favorite yet, as it's too early to make that call, but so far I really like everybody in the series.

tumblr_inline_mwjy9pJIvP1qb55ta.png

Welp. I can't find Frybo online. Probably because most ripper's are waiting for next week so they can hit the 22 minute spot.

That and the HD Version that I uploaded yesterday for 102A/B got taken down without any warning.

Y'know, I also really like that this show features a young boy with three strong, positive female role models. You don't see that a lot in children's animation (or much of anything), so I'm definitely impressed with that aspect of the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I mention that there is a POSITIVE FAT GIRL in this cartoon.

Took them long enough.

Maybe Lumpy Space Princess counts.

• Thumbs Up 7

I loved it, but Cat Fingers is gonna give me nightmares. And I thought Frybo was terrifying...

Yeah, it definitely went near Akira levels of body horror right when Steven turned into the cat blob monster. Adorable, fluffy kitten body horror.

Though Amethyst shape-shifting was pretty neat and it was funny when she mocked Pearl.

Steven Universe kinda creeps me out a little. Something about the colors and the gloomy way the town is portrayed just makes it a bit unsettling.

Frybo and the way you guys are describing Cat Fingers isn't helping either...

You know what ELSE is real?

STEVEN CREWNIVERSE

It's basically a behind-the-scenes dealio. The crew behind Steven Universe post things like storyboards, model sheets, backgrounds, and even music from the show's (awesome) soundtrack.

Speaking of that soundtrack, it's composed by the girl/robot music duo Aivi & Surasshu. Their Soundcloud contains most of the songs in the show and can be found here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of that soundtrack, it's composed by the girl/robot music duo Aivi & Surasshu. Their Soundcloud contains most of the songs in the show and can be found here.

First the newest episode of Ponies comes out early and now I come across a link to the Steven Universe soundtrack? My long weekend just keeps starting out better and better! biggrin.png

Thanks for the link by the way! I've been loving the show's music so far, so I'm happy to see it uploaded online.

Just caught up with Cat Fingers, looking forward to tonight's new episode.

Man, one thing that really sticks out to me is just how positive this show is. I'm only six episodes in and I already have a real sense of affection and friendship between the main characters. Even the occasional playful barbs never feel over-the-top or mean-spirited (a complaint I have about a lot of Cartoon Network's shows). They've hooked me on the characters already, and I'm so already hoping this gets a second season. It certainly deserves one.

• Thumbs Up 4

http://www.watchonlinecartoons.net/steven-universe/watch-steven-universe-episode-7-season-1-bubble-buddies

Just saw Bubble Buddies, the new episode.

Adorably charming as always. New character Connie's friendship with Steven was cute, and I hope she reappears (though since she's in the opening sequence, I'm sure she will).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm falling in love with this show.

I watched Bubble Buddies the day it aired, and I was gonna post about it a day or two ago but my internet connection was being a jerk, so here we are.

Connie's breakdown, like Peedee's

very relatable crisis in Frybo, demonstrates the level of maturity this show has, even among the silliness. Look at this episode's premise: Steven is shy about approaching a girl he likes, he saves her, they end up trapped in a magical bubble shield together. Hilarity ensues, right?? Well, there's certainly some comedy, but the situation is still taken mostly seriously, and when they end up in the ocean while inside the bubble, well, Connie reacts the same way anyone else would after all of that.

I really do find Steven himself endearing; there's a lot of potential for a great hero there, I think. Seeing him develop as a hero and character will be just as interesting as seeing how his powers develop. Though I imagine taking a more "human" approach to things will still be a theme, he's only half-Gem after all.

By the way, the action sequence at the end, tricking the...worm...thing into tying itself up was great. Steven may have to learn a lot of things about being a hero, but he was amazing there.

Anyone know if we're getting a new episode on Monday, or is this one of those times when it could go either way? tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if we're getting a new episode on Monday, or is this one of those times when it could go either way? tongue.png

*three weeks later* Well, there's your answer, me. B|

But hey, it seems we've got three upcoming episode synopses! Not only that but the show starts up again on the 13th, not that long a wait.

Serious Steven: While navigating out of an ancient maze, Steven tries to prove himself worthy to Garnet.

Tiger Millionaire: Steven joins an underground wrestling league with Amethyst.

Steven's Lion: Steven befriends a magical lion.

The latter two sound ridiculous, in a good way. Seriously though, they sound like fun premises to me. I'm especially interested in the first one, lots of potential there...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Might as well give this a bump.

Can I just say that Giant Woman is one of my favorite episodes in the entire show?

Steven's Lion was pretty great too

I too, liked the Giant Woman episode. Though I will admit the more I heard Steven say "giant woman," the more weirder it started to sound.

It's also interesting that the Crystal Gems can have that sort of ability and now I'm just trying to imagine what other gems they could use whenever Amethyst or Pearl fuse with Garnet, and with Steven since they sort of dropped that he could should he become a fully-realized Crystal Gem.

And Steven's lion is cool and I like how he does become a reoccurring character after his debut episode.

Yeah, Giant Woman is great and definitely liked the song too. 

Also, learning that Garnet has a third eye in Arcade Mania was pretty freaky yet simultaneously cool.

So Many Birthdays was pretty emotional too when the Gems were trying to prevent Steven from dying of old age.

Lars and the Cool Kids wasn't as good as the last one, but Steven's outburst to Lars about his mom was heavy and worth it near the end. Also, I liked how the cool kids weren't stereotypical jerks/bullies and Pearl's dance to summon police tape. 

New Episode Tonight!

tumblr_n2ke18CWKT1qkt447o1_1280.jpg

Straight from the Crewniverse:

watch helplessly as STEVEN and ONION trade minds and then fight to the finish while trapped inside a DEATH MAZE! ONION TRADE!!! the next wonderful episode of STEVEN UNIVERSE! boarded by LAMAR ABRAMS!

Some songs from Lars and the Cool Kids are also up on the Aivi & Surasshu Soundcloud page - check 'em out!

I just watched Onion Trade and there was no death maze or mind swapping.

I want a refund.

Nah, it was a decent enough episode. More Greg is a good thing.

Edit: ha ha whoops double post that was an accident sorry

I have to agree on how great Giant Woman was. It's become one of my favorite episodes of the series so far and I really liked that song too. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to believe we're nearly at the end of the season. Only eleven more episodes to go, and a few of the upcoming ones sound fun. Next one involves Pearl trying to teach Steven how to sword-fight...hoping for some cool action sequences there.

~Whoa important news!!~

tumblr_n3fm5qAcGO1qhbhnno1_1280.jpg

The show has been moved to Wednesdays instead of Mondays! I, uh...have no idea if this is a good thing or not??? I know shows being moved to different days can sometimes be a bad thing, but I dunno the specifics regarding that sort of thing. But yeah, not sure if this is common knowledge yet, so I thought I'd spread the word to the thread here.

• Thumbs Up 1