Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Some highlights and questions after watching the thing. 

Spoiler

Blue Diamond is so beautifu-OH SHUT SHE TOOK GREG. 

Blue Diamond looks so SAD-OH SHUT IS THAT A ROOM FULL OF BUBBLED ROSE QUARTZES?!

And I'm in love with Yellow Diamond's singing voice. It's so heavenly for some reason. 

Adventures in the Light Dimension kinda paid attention to the physics when driving in light speed.

Agate's hair style immediately reminded me of Princess Leila's hair style, and they're also FREAKING candy corns what 

She also has an electric whip.

I'm happy for amythest though, there's the other blue diamond amethysts and they're made from Earth, and they're all joking and friendly like Crystal gem amythest! It's a pretty cute moment. 

ALSO PEARL FREAKING ROASTED AGATE, BEST REKT SINCE PERIDOT. 

Also this fourth wall-

tumblr_oj7z4lK0bQ1sfp53bo1_540.gif

For real, while the bomb was good, there's some questions. 

Who the hay is Pink Diamond? Was she the founder of the whole diamond authority thing? 

Were the other QUARTZES bubbled because of crystal gem rose shattering PD?

Where's White Diamond?

I wonder whether we'll see the rubies again, since they briefly showed up in one episode.

• Thumbs Up 7

Not a spoiler; Cartoon Network rep says the "leak" was intentional. 

Just be advised to pause before the end of the vid if you're avoiding leaks, as he links to spoilery reviews there. 

I just finished reading an article on that and I have to say bullshit.

12 hours ago, Fusion Ellipsis 2017 said:

Some highlights and questions after watching the thing. 

Hide contents

For real, while the bomb was good, there's some questions. 

Who the hay is Pink Diamond? Was she the founder of the whole diamond authority thing? 

Were the other QUARTZES bubbled because of crystal gem rose shattering PD?

Where's White Diamond?

I wonder whether we'll see the rubies again, since they briefly showed up in one episode.

I kind of feel that these questions should have obvious answers from just watching the show itself...except the 3rd one, because it just isn't relevant at the moment.

Pink Diamond only had Earth, she's not anymore important than the rest. Blue Diamond was just mourning...for over 5000 years. Yellow Diamondo said they bubbled all the Rose Quartzes because of Crystal Gem Leader Rose Quartz. 

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Agree. This only wrecked things for the eventual ratings. Releasing the episodes early on the app means nothing, because the people not using the app and watching via reuploads on streaming sites aren't going to stop anytime soon. This was a mistake clearly, and saying it was intentional is just mediocre damage control.

Spoiler

Also

exjngqmcqf7y.png

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not a spoiler; Cartoon Network rep says the "leak" was intentional. 

Just be advised to pause before the end of the vid if you're avoiding leaks, as he links to spoilery reviews there. 

13 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Gee ,  why is it that I expect that we'll be seeing more of these "intentional" endeavors in the future,  conveniently enough ?

Finally caved and watched the episodes last night. I don't think there's any specific thoughts I can share that haven't already been expressed, but I do think that this has been my favorite arc so far (and possibly the tightest in terms of story). By the end of it you really get a sense of how far the Gems have come in becoming their own selves.

I did make one observation, though:

Spoiler

Lumina-sonic-shuffle.png

I knew there was something familiar about Holly Blue Agate's hair.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 1/8/2017 at 3:58 AM, Metal the Mario said:

Finally caved and watched the episodes last night. I don't think there's any specific thoughts I can share that haven't already been expressed, but I do think that this has been my favorite arc so far (and possibly the tightest in terms of story). By the end of it you really get a sense of how far the Gems have come in becoming their own selves.

I did make one observation, though:

Hide contents

Lumina-sonic-shuffle.png

I knew there was something familiar about Holly Blue Agate's hair.

Spoiler

Oh snap, I FORGOT ABOUT HER!

Though it also makes sense. But I still get Princess Leia vibes from that hair style for some reason whever I see Agate.

I don't know why this bothers me since other Steven Bombs have also followed this sort of formula, but I feel strangey underwhelmed about the ending of this particular series of episodes.  Part of me has this nagging feeling that we were teased with a lot of potential conflict but not actually given it.  We will almost certainly be given it at a later date, I'm sure, but for now, this bomb feels lacking in resolution.  Not just in the sense that a lot of the issues addressed in the episode go unresolved, but that the plot feels like it's lacking a literary ending.

But for what we were given, there's a lot of interesting things to say.  For example, there's no doubt that the Diamonds are awful, but one can't help but feel immensely sorry for Blue Diamond.  I can't imagine being hurt so badly that I would be left to grieve for thousands of years.  Really pulls at the heartstrings.  I also quite admire the fact that all the Diamonds have different personalities.  Vastly different, I mean.  For all her faults, Blue Diamond seems like a timid and gentle being who thinks she's doing well (after all, in contrast to the other villains, she's actually quite concerned about the preservation of Earth's life and resources), while Yellow Diamond seems to be largely apathetic to the struggles of others.  Another interesting thing to note is that despite Pearls being regarded as cheap, dime-a-dozen gems, their personalities are perhaps the most diverse we've seen among different specimens.  Notably, their personality tends to reflect the Diamond that owns them.

I have to say that it was kind of unpleasant, though not in a particularly bad way, watching Steven squirm and reflect on how the entire plot is all his fault.  By the end of that light speed space ride, I just wanted to bust through the TV and hug him and tell him everything was all right.  But it's also really uplifting watching him take responsibility and immediately take charge of the affair.  While he still maintains a slightly bubbly personality, his role in this particular marathon seemed very no-nonsense, and for understandable reasons.

It had never occured to me, either, that there might be some humans abducted by the gems who have never experienced the outside world and thus do not hold resentment towards their captors, and I think it was an ingenius little plot setup  Although you clearly want to see Steven and Greg escape their captivity, it does raise a lot of moral delimmas and inner discussion about the ethics of the zoo and concepts like arranged relationships, and it handles the matter with such a shocking level of intelligence.  Never once does it tell you how to feel, but rather, it lets the conflict and plot speak for itself, and I think that's extremely powerful.

There are a lot of cute, funny, emotional, and generally interesting little tidbits to list off, but I haven't the time to do that.  Overall, it's another great batch of episodes, despite having a few problems that makes the overall package narratively weak, in my opinion.

On a closing note, Pearl has become such a badass and it leaves me in chills every time.

• Thumbs Up 5

Spoiler

Just thought of something... remember in Light Speed Distortion how Steven was fiddling with the controls to turn the gems into their normal size but at one stage makes them really tiny? Do you think that might be a wink or a nod to the Heaven and Earth Beetles? Both are the smallest corrupted Gems we have seen and their non corrupted forms could be that size...

• 2 weeks later...

I love this show! Rebecca Sugar is a genius & Cartoon Network is one my favorite channels, I love how they give creative people an outlet to release fun, imaginative & awesome toons!  

As for Steven itself, I can't wait for the show to return and looking forward to the comic from Boom!

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, the Steven Universe Funko Pop! line is getting a second wave!

supop2.png

I love the outfit they went with for Connie, and I like how they depicted Peridot without her limb enhancers so that she's more up to date. Not a fan of how they didn't give Lapis a nose (as with Amethyst's figure), but she still looks great.

A lot of pops don't have noses. Honestly I'm ready for the show to end show a peridot fusion. Save the diamonds. Etc. It seems like it's stretching out plots that can be ended early. Honestly I'm saying pink diamond is still alive in some form and will appear at the end to stop yellow blue will sit on the side crying most likely. And rose will come back as well

I'm wondering when we'll learn more about White Diamond. Or rather, ANYthing about White Diamond.

29 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

A lot of pops don't have noses.

Some don't, but a vast majority of Pops with human and humanlike designs do.

Either way, I just find it weird that the rest of the figures in the same line still have them. It's a point of inconsistency in an otherwise decent line.

4 hours ago, Metal the Mario said:

For those interested, the Steven Universe Funko Pop! line is getting a second wave!

supop2.png

I love the outfit they went with for Connie, and I like how they depicted Peridot without her limb enhancers so that she's more up to date. Not a fan of how they didn't give Lapis a nose (as with Amethyst's figure), but she still looks great.

Peridot, Lapis & Connie are day one buys for me! 

19 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm wondering when we'll learn more about White Diamond. Or rather, ANYthing about White Diamond.

When you-know-who finally reveals she was White Diamond's pearl of course. XD

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

When you-know-who finally reveals she was White Diamond's pearl of course. XD

That kind of episode has a high chance of being part of a bomb. I'm also curious as of how she met Rose and how her life was before that

• Thumbs Up 4

So last nights episode was pretty enjoyable overall.  I think this is the first time that Connie has ever hung out with Peridot & Lapis.  It was a really cute, fun akward episode.  Also loved the team pose at the end. XD

I think the only negative thing I have to say about it is during the argument about Lapis reply about them being thousands of years old.  Yes Lapis is thousands of years old.  But we know from Past episodes that Peridot is from  a newer cut of gems, one that was made from dwindling natural resources long after the war.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Peridot were only around Steven & Connie's age, or just a couple hundred years old at most.  Also we know Pumpkin is only months old (yes I Know he's not an actual Gem but he was still on the team, so yea :P)  Though I did like Connie's reply that they should start acting their age.  Lapis is a great gal, but she does act like a moody teenager at times XD.

But yea it was a fun episode, would love to see the Crystal Temps team-up again someday.

What a great episode this week! Not only did it deliver a huge emotional punch to the guy, that Charlie Brown reference was pure gold despite it being seen coming from a mile away/

• Thumbs Up 1

Would the word multifaceted be a compliment or an insult in the Steven Universe universe (lol)? Or just a pun?