Awoo.

Jackie Chan Adventures Topic

SenEDDtor Missile

I'm kinda kicking myself for missing out on this series when I was younger, especially since I really liked Jackie Chan, and still do. I dunno, religion and shows with demons don't mix or some bullcrap me and my family don't believe in now. (even though demons from eastern mythology are pretty different from the western ones.)

Though I did like it, from what little I saw of it.

This series was a really fond part of my childhood, and I went back and rewatched it within the past year and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. They did a very good job on it. The characters are unique and likeable, from the coy Jade to the seemingly infallible Uncle and Jackie, to the amusingly characterized kind Tohru. The pacing of the show is also very good, there's no filler. I dunno, this show was just a win in my book.

And the gameboy advance game was really fun, I don't care what anyone says LOL

I really like the first season, but I felt they became tedious as the show went on. Still, a good show to pass the time I guess.

P.S. Jackie and Jade are alternate reality versions of Goku and Pan:

tumblr_lsirg0seX61qeprvuo1_400.gif

1257003742420_f.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I really loved the different powers of the Talismans in this series, and they have a kind of hard fantasy element to them.

Sure you can have the Dog talisman and live forever no matter what, but you're still gonna feel pain like hell if it ever hits you.

Sure you can use the Horse talisman to heal your injuries, but it can't heal death.

And combine the Rooster and the Rabbit talismans and you can fly like a supersonic jet.

The different Shadowkhan were interesting, but I didn't get to see all of them. Funny how the leech looking ones are probably the more dangerous ones.

Man I really loved this show. Gonna see if I can buy the collection in the future now that this topic reminded me of the series.

Oh man, soooo much nostalgia for this show. 

Admittedly I do think the show declined in quality a little as it went on, because they were clearly just tacking more and more on. Still, was a damn good series and it's aged really well. I got the first series on DVD a few years back (the only one that's been released here IIRC) and it was still awesome.

Also, who else thought that Uncle's head shape looked like a peeled banana?

To try to drive some more conversation and not let a perfectly good topic go to rot, what do you personally feel are the strengths and weaknesses of this show, and why?

I used to love this show but now it's one of those ones I can hardly remember. I remember it being good quality though and the running story was good, it wasn't one of those shows that are just stand alone episodes.

Also, wheatus reworked Punk ass bitch for the closing titles, I used to love wheatus :)

I may track some of these down, thanks for reminding me of it.

To try to drive some more conversation and not let a perfectly good topic go to rot, what do you personally feel are the strengths and weaknesses of this show, and why?

The mythology and creativeness of the magical artifacts, namely the talismans. Healing isn't the same as immortality, heat vision isn't the same as combustion, and so forth. There are some restrictions, strengths, and weaknesses to each magical artifact no matter how powerful they may be so that no one form of magic is used over all the others the the point of making them useless, and because of that diversity each one is more specialized to take on a certain task that the protagonist and antagonists may want to make use of them for.

I also like how some of them can actually be more problematic than they were helpful, like the Sheep Talisman for Astral-projection and the Tiger Talisman that basically split characters between their good and bad sides.

Also, the multiple antagonists. Shendu, his brothers and sisters, Dalong Wong,the Shadowkhan masks, Drago, etc. And even minor ones like the Monkey King were funny, even if a bit out of it. :lol:

Weaknesses? I kinda found the Drago arc to be a little lacking, but that's mainly because 1) I didn't pay too much attention to it because 2) at that point I couldn't find a decent time to catch the series.

Also that fucking kid that idolized El Toro was fucking annoying. Jade can be obnoxious and stubborn, but she was more pragmatic and was rather interesting due to that pragmatism. That kid? Fuck him. Just seriously...if he was better characterized to me, I'd be thinking otherwise.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've only seen a few episodes from the first few series.

I kinda liked the Uncle character, but Jade annoyed me. She's kind of like a rubbish Penny from Inspector Gadget, only with more "attitude".

I found Jackie's appearance hilarious, though. I mean look at him, he's all tall, buff and stuff... with a haircut! :D Then you actually see Jackie Chan himself in the opening credits and he's... well, Jackie Chan... a portly little man (who could still no doubt kick my ass but whatevs...:P) who looks nothing like the portrayal in the cartoon. It's so funny.

• 2 months later...

I remember this show from awhile back. I watched it when I could, but the times it was on were always troubling. I think I saw most of the episodes back then, but I bet I still missed some here and there. I remember some of the episodes better than others. It was still a great show. I would watch it on WB when I could, but often I didn't get out of school in time sometimes to watch it and others I did. Then when it was on Disney, it was on super late at night, so that was only an occational thing as well. Its time slot was likely what kept me from watching it more than I did. Maybe one day I'll go back and watch it again if ever get the time and desire to do so.