Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

It is...?  Must've missed that memo.

Yeah, it's in pretty much every trailer for the game, is shown in most MP retrospectives, is known by pretty much anyone who's played a Metroid Prime game since you fight it right at the beginning of the first one (which most people have played).

Apparently Sakamoto is also not taking the criticism too well. Who knows, he might force Other M Samus into the games he has control over, so if that's the case then I think Retro should have complete control over the series from now on.

GAF prophet is getting a lot of attention... I can't say I buy it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564809

• Retro's game is a new StarTropics. For the uninformed, it's a very, very old Nintendo IP that has a bit of a cult following and that some people have been hoping they'd make because of the Metroid/Zelda/Earthbound-like style.
  • The 3D Mario is coming out this October and a working title for it is Super Mario Retroverse U. It's supposed to be a huge game with open world levels and a bunch of different mechanics and ideas. It's "a risky" title apparently.
  • The new Zelda isn't expected to come out until mid-2015 at earliest. Might see concept art.
  • Mario Kart U is basically Mario Kart 7 on steroids.
  • Smash Bros U will get a trailer showing some new characters and more will be shown as silhouettes; some less obvious than others. It's expected to release in late 2014 with the 3DS version being further ahead in development. They're going to do another Smash Bros Dojo to build hype and momentum.
  • Wii U might see a price cut and they'll try to do one more attempt to solidly differentiate it from the Wii. Might see another Ambassador Program.
  • X and Yarn Yoshi will have new trailers, both will come in 2014.
  • One "major" surprise, one that ought to shock people yet make a lot of sense. Whatever it is, it ought to come out in Fall.

I thought she looked good. Honestly.. I thought the problem was with the story.

She does. OtherM Samus looks like she has a full set of chromosomes, unlike every attempt at human modelling in the Prime games (with the possible exception of her face in Prime 1, which was alright for the time).

Character design, movement speed/fluidity and combat system overhaul are three things that definitely should be taken from OtherM for the next game, wherein they could receive further development.

Tho it's unlikely a new Metroid would be announced, that and Bayo are all I ask from the WiiU.

In fact for this Direct, Nintendo should have one hour of Bayonetta gameplay, then cram the lesser games (marios zeldas, marios pokeymans and marios marios) in whatever time is left and end with a Metroid teaser. E3 automatically won.

Apparently Sakamoto is also not taking the criticism too well. Who knows, he might force Other M Samus into the games he has control over, so if that's the case then I think Retro should have complete control over the series from now on.

He works for a publisher, what Nintendo says, goes.

Sometimes has its benefits, haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

GAF prophet is getting a lot of attention... I can't say I buy it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564809

• Retro's game is a new StarTropics. For the uninformed, it's a very, very old Nintendo IP that has a bit of a cult following and that some people have been hoping they'd make because of the Metroid/Zelda/Earthbound-like style.
  • The 3D Mario is coming out this October and a working title for it is Super Mario Retroverse U. It's supposed to be a huge game with open world levels and a bunch of different mechanics and ideas. It's "a risky" title apparently.
  • The new Zelda isn't expected to come out until mid-2015 at earliest. Might see concept art.
  • Mario Kart U is basically Mario Kart 7 on steroids.
  • Smash Bros U will get a trailer showing some new characters and more will be shown as silhouettes; some less obvious than others. It's expected to release in late 2014 with the 3DS version being further ahead in development. They're going to do another Smash Bros Dojo to build hype and momentum.
  • Wii U might see a price cut and they'll try to do one more attempt to solidly differentiate it from the Wii. Might see another Ambassador Program.
  • X and Yarn Yoshi will have new trailers, both will come in 2014.
  • One "major" surprise, one that ought to shock people yet make a lot of sense. Whatever it is, it ought to come out in Fall.

I'll be the first one to say I'd love another Ambassador Program :B

I'll be the first one to say I'd love another Ambassador Program :B

I'll be the second.

There's far more sales potential in here than Nintendo seem to realise.

1. Announce a price drop and an Ambassador program
  2. Don't make it instant! Advertise all over the place saying "if you buy the Wii U before it gets a price drop you get these amazing (5-10) GameCube games totally free!" etc
  3. Tons of Wii U sales before the price drop from people who wants the GC games
  4. Tons of Wii U sales after the price drop b/c price drop.

Knowing how much people like free games, announcing the ambassador program after the price has already dropped seems daft! Let people have the chance to get into that deal, I'm confident a lot of people would.

Gotta say, im not a fan of all those extremely late release dates but hey, at least we may get the Mario game early, and I like the sounds of "takes risks".

>Tons of Wii U sales before the price drop from people who wants the GC games

Knowing how much people like free games, announcing the ambassador program after the price has already dropped seems daft! Let people have the chance to get into that deal, I'm confident a lot of people would.

What makes you think tons of people want GC games? Back in the day neither them nor the GC itself sold exactly tons ;P

What makes you think tons of people want GC games? Back in the day neither them nor the GC itself sold exactly tons ;P

It's by far one of the Wii U's most requested features, and Wind Waker U is deemed to be a system seller to many + it was trending on Twitter a lot at the time of reveal.

I know the GC did shockingly bad in sales, but I think it has quite a strong posthumous legacy.

For example, look how fantastically Luigi's Mansion 2 is selling! The first one didn't sell that well and was on a console that didn't sell that well, but since the GC's death people have obv been playing/trading them around for cheap etc and things got more popular over time. Like how Ryo Hazuki won the ASRT character poll by far even when Shenmue was considered a failure in sales back in the DC days.

Edited by SuperLink

It's by far one of the Wii U's most requested features, and Wind Waker U is deemed to be a system seller to many + it was trending on Twitter a lot at the time of reveal.

Yer overestimating the demand for a bunch of dumped ROMs, tho. What kind of enticing games that haven't been ported already can they even offer? I think you'd have to resort to niche first party stuff, which is even double-niche for being GC.

Also, Zelda is a critically acclaimed name and all of the games are pretty much repurposed OoT, so WWU could even be considered as the next entry in the series hoh-hoh-hoh

For example, look how fantastically Luigi's Mansion 2 is selling! The first one didn't sell that well and was on a console that didn't sell that well

So why do you want these games on WiiU, again?

cool_f.gif

That entire list sounds incredibly dodgy to me, I don't buy it.

I'm personally hoping for the newest iteration of Euclideon's Unlimited Detail tech to be unveiled at this Direct, as Nintendo have the most to gain from it and it would look far more impressive if it was running on the Wii U and 3DS, not to mention Euclideon have been hinting at a new big reveal on its gaming front for a couple of months now after parading Geoverse around. Still a big "if", however, so I'm not holding my breath of course, but it would be really cool to see.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Yer overestimating the demand for a bunch of dumped ROMs, tho. What kind of enticing games that haven't been ported already can they even offer? I think you'd have to resort to niche first party stuff, which is even double-niche for being GC.

Well most of the more celebrated GC games haven't really been ported yet. For the GBA Ambassador Program they offered more niche games too, like F-Zero and Fire Emblem.

For GC they could easily offer up Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, Wave Race, Mario Kart, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 1, etc. Most of those haven't been ported and the legacies of their franchises (besides like Wave Race) are now a lot stronger than before.

There's definitely reason to believe people would be enticed by free Gamecube games, like I said it's one of the most popular Wii U suggestions, many people saying they were holding off on a Wii U til they confirmed GC VC (don't forget that the generation who grew up on GC games are now older too, a good nostalgia factor is in there which is exactly why SA2 was such a weirdly popular HD port)

Either way I don't buy the list either, I just think Nintendo offering up free N64 or GC games via Ambassador would be a good way to get some last minute sales in of the higher priced system.

Well most of the more celebrated GC games haven't really been ported yet. For the GBA Ambassador Program they offered more niche games too, like F-Zero and Fire Emblem.

For GC they could easily offer up Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, Wave Race, Mario Kart, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem, Pikmin 1, etc. Most of those haven't been ported and the legacies of their franchises (besides like Wave Race) are now a lot stronger than before.

There's definitely reason to believe people would be enticed by free Gamecube games, like I said it's one of the most popular Wii U suggestions, many people saying they were holding off on a Wii U til they confirmed GC VC (don't forget that the generation who grew up on GC games are now older too, a good nostalgia factor is in there which is exactly why SA2 was such a weirdly popular HD port)

Either way I don't buy the list either, I just think Nintendo offering up free N64 or GC games via Ambassador would be a good way to get some last minute sales in of the higher priced system.

TP and Pikmin are on the original Wii, don't they? It's counter-productive for them to offer Mario Kart too, they want you to get the new full price WiiU specific entry on that.

Anyways, I suspect they'd not get more than a couple thousand sales from that. But, after the pricedrop, they'd do well in adding those ROMs to the VC catalogue. People won't buy a $350 console for a free digital copy of F-Zero, but they might buy a digital copy of F-Zero for the $200 console they bought. Ambassador program is just a way to build and keep customer loyalty.

(Do note that despite any free jabs I'm supportive of free games and I don't mind HD ports/remakes at all)

I popped on here, saw "Retro's doing Startropics" and "Super Mario Retroverse U" and my hype went down the toilet.

Then I realized it was bull and all was well.

• Thumbs Up 3

*has a feeling we'll see a re-designed WiiU / bundle for a cheaper price*

Production prices could have already dipped, considering how quickly things go these days. I don't think it's entirely likely, but it's a possibility.

I reckon they'll come out with a redesign and new colors next year, leaving this year to the bundles and price drops.

Also, if Retro is working on StarTropics, it had better be bloody good, because currently nobody actually gives a crap about the original.

Why are people expecting console redesigns? Nintendo don't really do those for consoles, unless you count the cheap versions the Wii got late in life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are people expecting console redesigns? Nintendo don't really do those for consoles, unless you count the cheap versions the Wii got late in life.

Perhaps could be a good idea this time to make the thing stand out more, make it more obvious that it's actually a new console.

I don't think it's likely, but it's a pretty good idea from that perspective.

Nintendo doesn't do console redesigns... except the half billion it has done for its handheld systems.

The precedent for Nintendo redesigning shit was set years ago. They don't tend to do it for home consoles, but it could boost sales significantly, especially if the redesign includes a 500GB+ HDD and various GUI updates along the lines of MS' dashboard updates (which would be available to all U owners, but come out around the same time as the redesign). As a company looking to make money, design updates are a concept very much on the table at all times, even if they don't end up doing any.

Nintendo doesn't do console redesigns... except the half billion it has done for its handheld systems.

Nintendo hasn't done a single 3DS revision and it's been out for several years. 3DS XL was just an extension similar to the DSi XL.

It's honestly way too early for a redesign. How would they redesign it anyway? There's no way they're going to make the system any smaller as it's already a tiny box. It also isn't a handheld so they can't give it new buttons, features, or etc. I'm betting more on higher storage space, colors, bundles, etc.

Nintendo hasn't done a single 3DS revision and it's been out for several years. 3DS XL was just an extension similar to the DSi XL.

What's the difference between a revision and a redesign? Seems like the same thing to me.

• Thumbs Up 3