Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

What's the difference between a revision and a redesign? Seems like the same thing to me.

When I picture redesign, I sort of see it as phasing out the original and replacing it with a new one. The 3DS XL was never meant to replace the 3DS. It's the same exact machine except it's bigger.

The Wii U does not have to deal with the same stuff the handhelds go through. It also isn't as gigantic as other systems. There's really not much they can do with the system. New OS features? Do that through an OS update. Make it smaller? It's already custom made to be as small as possible.

In Japan, they're doing a different advertising with the Wii U. It's being named the "SUPER WII" which makes me wonder if they're going to try that here.

I'd honestly die for a matte Wii U.

The Wii U doesn't need a different model with different features a la the handheld treatment, but what it might need is a different appearance. Just changing the outer shell is a cheap and easy way to make it more obvious to the average consumer and even the hesitant gamer that it's something different and not just a controller.

I dunno about you guys but the Wii U is one of the most boring console designs ever, it's a near featureless box, it doesn't have any neat ridges or poses, it doesn't have the cool blue Wii light. Sorry but you can't market that shit, that's why the gamepad is always the one showing up in marketing, that's why people don't know it's a new console because they only see the gamepad. If the console itself looked different or exciting, of course you could market it! It'd be so much more obvious what it was, a new console.

It could benefit from having a different look, and at its very base semantic that's all a "redesign" really is. A different design.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 5

The Wii U has nice curves those. Those curves will attract a lot of people.. heh heh heh.

Honestly, the only redesign I would like is if it went back to the box like design. Give it matte paint and it will look sexy as hell. Other than that, there's no way they can make it smaller. Console designs are not that big of a deal to me unless it looks like a VHS player.

It doesn't need to be smaller, it just needs to look like it's not disguising itself as the least exciting console ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it doesn't need to be smaller, but what I'm saying is how would you redesign it? Most redesigns tend to go with the smaller, streamline approach but that isn't possible here. How would we drastically change the design? I suck at creativity, I honestly can't think of anything. The only design I'd love is if they took a sexy matte paint finish and went back to being a box. But that's not 'interesting'.. right? tongue.png

disguising itself as the least exciting console ever

468px-Xbox_one_console_controller_too.jp

Edit: Smaller picture found.

I guess I just don't have a major issue with the console design. I've honestly never seen anyone complain about it either. Change the outer shell.. how? What shape? Will the shape look like the original Wii? How about the family bundle? Will it resemble too closely to other consoles?

Edited by Autosaver

I know it doesn't need to be smaller, but what I'm saying is how would you redesign it? Most redesigns tend to go with the smaller, streamline approach but that isn't possible here. How would we drastically change the design? I suck at creativity, I honestly can't think of anything. The only design I'd love is if they took a sexy matte paint finish and went back to being a box. But that's not 'interesting'.. right? tongue.png

DSC_4586-hero_verge_super_wide.jpg

I would say the Xbox One design looks a bit better than the Wii U, if only because of the ridges and stuff. It looks like it's actually been designed, maybe haphazardly, but the Wii U imo just looks like they just put a white or black case around something and that's all.

If I were to redesign it I'd give it some kind of shape or aesthetic quality, there are an absolute wealth of things that could be done to make that plain design more appealing and noticeable.

I would say giving it colour, but I know the console industry hates anything that isn't white or black or grey.

Edited by SuperLink

Sadly, I honestly doubt any redesign will happen. Whether or not it needs one. :(

I honestly don't care about the design. They're freakin' rectangles, all of them. Except for the Gamecube, which was a square. What it would have benefited from was being matte, though. 

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Update - Another direct scheduled this Friday.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=203560

I fucking love this!

What other company provides us with such a steady stream of information so directly? It doesn't matter whether it's big news, like Pokémon X/Y being announced, or just a general update about what's coming up in the season, Nintendo doesn't disappoint. They just need to get a Nintendo Direct app out there for the Wii U though.

• Thumbs Up 5

I couldn't care less about the Wii U's design, it's all about the Gamepad man. Besides, most consoles nowadays look like black boxes with no interesting quirks. And don't tell me the Wii U looks worse than the bloody Xbone! At least it's smaller, more compact and doesn't have a weird grill thing on it.

For those in the US, we have a listing of all the Best Buy locations in the country that will have the Wii U games shown at the Nintendo Direct available for play.

http://nintendoeverything.com/123269/nintendo-shares-more-details-on-e3-program-with-best-buy/

The location in Oklahoma is not far where I live, so I can make it there and provide hands-on info on the stuff there. Will anyone else be able to make it to one of the locations?

So I guess us folks from NYC will have to go to Long Island City. That's not too bad, but I don't think I'd go over there just to play a demo. xD

I was expecting much more locations, but this is fine I guess.

Edited by canderson

Dang it, it not coming to my store. It gets the most tourist in South Florida so its odd its not coming there

Cool. There is one down the street from me. Wonder what demos they will give us. 

(If is see smash bros 4.......)

For those in the US, we have a listing of all the Best Buy locations in the country that will have the Wii U games shown at the Nintendo Direct available for play.

http://nintendoeverything.com/123269/nintendo-shares-more-details-on-e3-program-with-best-buy/

The location in Oklahoma is not far where I live, so I can make it there and provide hands-on info on the stuff there. Will anyone else be able to make it to one of the locations?

qZzQR_zps2a8e6dc0.gif

FUCK. NEVADA.

Closest store to me isn't my local one, but it IS only 22 minutes away. I'll be there, camera in hand.

Also, take a look at the small text under the store locator.

Store exclusions are subject to change without notice. Luigi loot available while supplies last. Please visit a participating Best Buy store for complete details.

Looks like we're getting special Luigi collectables!

• Thumbs Up 1

>Looks under Texas.

>No San Antonio

Screw this.

They're going to demo the games at the Cambridgeside Galleria. That's less than a mile outside of Charlestown. Count me in.

Kinda annoyed that the only Washington one is on the coast, totally leaving the other side of the mountains in Washington high and dry. Not sure if I would've been able to get time off work regardless for this, but still, should've been one in Spokane or something at least, D:.

The only demo area in Minnesota is literally 20 minutes from where I live. I'll definitely be there. :D

6f6.gif

Alright! Been waiting to see this confirm for a while. I can't wait to check this list out and see where I can play me some E3 ga -- There's not a single listing for Jacksonville in the Florida catergory. The closet to me is Gainesville. Butthurt level... rising...

f66.gif

Well... the list apparently will update so there might be a silm chance.

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

6f6.gif

Alright! Been waiting to see this confirm for a while. I can't wait to check this list out and see where I can play me some E3 ga -- There's not a single listing for Jacksonville in the Florida catergory. The closet to me is Gainesville. Butthurt level... rising...

f66.gif

Well... the list apparently will update so there might be a silm chance.

You too, eh? I'd figure that Jacksonville would get this since it is a big city and all. Look at poor Charlotte, NC.

Nintendo does not care about Southern Metropolises. Clearly. I think it might actually be a Best Buy thing rather than a Nintendo thing, actually. I would assume the stores would have to do some serious rearranging and shutting down the store basically for this. In other words, that's a night and a busy Saturday afternoon with very little business besides maybe people buying Wii Us or 3DS systems after trying out games.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Charlotte folks go to Pineville, which is also in Mecklenberg County.  Raleigh gets to step over to Cary.  Winston-Salem folks get their own.  Closest one to me would be . . . either Fayetteville or Cary, really, both are several hours away.  I suppose they don't see much point in hitting Greenville since ECU is out for the summer; that would be the closest to me (still an hour each way).