Awoo.

Sonic R turning tip, and who wants a sequel?

TheDanimator

I didnt want to start a new topic just for this but I didnt really know where to put it.

It has come to my attention that a good amount of people actually do not know about this, I didnt know about it until years after I started playing Sonic R.

Im not sure what the buttons would be on each respective platform (I know on mega collection its the triggers)
But there IS a way to make very sharp turns, just mess around with the buttons.

If you did not know about this, please let me know in the comments below, and once you figure out what the buttons are for it you can help other people out by saying what they are also.

Also, instead of another Riders or All Stars Racing, Who would prefer a sort of Sonic R 2, where the characters are on foot.
I would rather play as the characters on foot personally and be able to use their abilities like spin dash flying and gliding.
(Obviously some slower characters could have vehicles, similar to Sonic R) 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic R is a guilty pleasure for me. The music is awesome (<3 TJ Davis and Richard Jacques) but the game itself isn't great. It's too easy, too short and the controls for each character aren't the best, esp. Amy and Sonic. But despite this I still enjoy playing it. I think it's the music. XD

I don't know if I'd like to see a sequel for Sonic R though. It's too late now and we've already had different racing games such as Sonic Riders and now All Stars Racing. I would however LOVE to see TJ Davis return in the next ASR, maybe have her do the main theme song. Who knows, it could sound better than the one Lee Brotherton did for the first ASR. 

I'd like a kinda 'remastering album' of Sonic R, with TJ Davis singing the songs in today's time with remixed instrumentals, kinda like what City Escape had for Gens. I don't mind Sonic R, but a sequel... I dunno.

If you play Sonic R under the idea that it is a Tony Hawk game rather than a racing game, it's a lot easier to understand how the controls work.

• Thumbs Up 3

Didn't you know we got 2 sequels to Sonic R?

it was 1 Vs 1

Always on foot

for PSP only

No sharp turns necessary

Race to win

Sonic Rivals

• Thumbs Up 5

So everyone here knew about the sharp turning thing...?

Well, yeah.

It doesn't help much though. The game fails to find a balance; with its level design, I find the 'sharp turns' to be a little too sharp, and the regular controls are too stiff.

...I don't even know why I sorta like this game. Guess I can't help it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see another racing game with Sonic and friends on foot, but it would have to be so drastically different from R to be halfway decent that you might as well call it something else entirely.

But yeah, 'dem songs is the best.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I always thought Sonic R wasn't too hard to control when I got the hang of it. I assume you all play the game on the Sonic Gems Collection?

I just hold the Circle button to accelerate and use the Shoulder buttons to turn. I literally never use the D-Pad at all.

I find if I play the game like this the controls are okay.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah generally once you stop thinking of controlling Sonic like you do in the platformers and start thinking about controlling him like you would a car, the game makes a lot more sense.  I believe B also works on Gamecube for drifting.

I'd love a sequel - I always thought Unleashed Wii genuinely had a good engine for racing considering how ground-focused it was.

I'm very fond of the original though...  There's something very cute about what a tiny little game it is.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well I liked it. I didn't mind too much that it was short and the copy I had did not have the music in it. Given that I like racing games. Team Metal Sonic was also rather cool

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that actually could had expanded to/used as a template for a 3D (classic) Sonic platformer for the Saturn. I mean, it shared many things with the classic games:

- Secret/alternate areas/paths of level design

- Multiple playable characters with different moves

- Rolling (physics), bubbles/electric "shields"

- Chaos Emeralds to collect/an unlockable Super Sonic mode

- "Special stages" (the races against "secret" characters can arguably be counted as this) 

I think it could had been easily expanded from the racing game it is as a full-blown 3D platformer if they just built it more like the Genesis games. But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I did like how the Chaos Emeralds were actually something you had to look for.  I'd like to see that done in an actual Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I did like how the Chaos Emeralds were actually something you had to look for.  I'd like to see that done in an actual Sonic game.

Play Sonic 1 and 2 on Master System.  C=

• Thumbs Up 5

I actually liked Sonic R, and I would love a sequel, with improved graphics, controls, and speed.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the idea of searching for emeralds, too, that's a cool idea. I liked Sonic R back in the day, but now it really doesn't stand out all that well. Music is awesome. Gameplay? Not so much. Despite all the hate Riders and Zero Gravity get, they're far better than Sonic R and have much larger cast's of playable characters, which really sets it far ahead of R.

Now, if they can manage to make gameplay similar to R but tighten up the controls, I'd love to see a Sonic game in the future where we can have a racing title with both running and riding on vehicles, I'd love that kind of thing. I don't see it happening but it'd be sweet.

I think that I would like a sequel, personally I do like the game a lot and as you said TC, the controls are pretty easy to master if you just stop trying to make sonic control like his normal self (though, I don't use the b button to accelerate much) and feel as though this game would really do well with unleashed gameplay but slower, the main problem would be how to balance the characters though since the biggest problem with sonic R is its character balancing.

I am pretty sure it would turn out good if a Sonic R sequel would be a mix of Sonic R, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes.

The concept of R.

The Control of a updated SA2.

The modes of Heroes.(none of the bullshit, plain boring ones, or ones that don't belong in a racer at all)

And maps akin to generations that are from past sonic games.

Could work I guess, but all characters would have to play in the adventure style or Sonic and Shadow would be FAR too overpowered (with the boost)

I'd like to see it happen. Although I'd also like a Free Riders re-release with controller support, but some things just won't happen.

Could work I guess, but all characters would have to play in the adventure style or Sonic and Shadow would be FAR too overpowered (with the boost)

I'd like to see it happen. Although I'd also like a Free Riders re-release with controller support, but some things just won't happen.

When I say adventure 2 Control, I simply mean all of the basic actions(spindashing, grinding, etc...) and handling/physics with each character having a different ability(Sonic gets his double jump, tails fan fly, knux can glide.

Edited by Dom

Sonic R was always supposed to be a racing game though, with racing elements like drifting - a Sonic R sequel that plays like a proper platformer would be a completely different game.  I don't think SA2-style movement would be appropriate at all.

It would be better named as a new game, or at the most a 3D successor to the Sonic Rivals games, which were racing-platformers rather than racing games with minor platforming elements (remember after all, that Sonic R does not require jumping at all to reach any area of any track).

I'm not sure that a new Sonic R game is the best idea, so much as I think there should be a new Sonic game that's just like colors style gameplay, with a multiplayer mode that resembles what Sonic R was.

An original course for multiplayer that you do laps around, racing against friends or computers. Seems easy enough and not too wild of an idea.