Awoo.

Sonic R turning tip, and who wants a sequel?

TheDanimator

Well I liked it. I didn't mind too much that it was short and the copy I had did not have the music in it. Given that I like racing games. Team Metal Sonic was also rather cool

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that actually could had expanded to/used as a template for a 3D (classic) Sonic platformer for the Saturn. I mean, it shared many things with the classic games:

- Secret/alternate areas/paths of level design

- Multiple playable characters with different moves

- Rolling (physics), bubbles/electric "shields"

- Chaos Emeralds to collect/an unlockable Super Sonic mode

- "Special stages" (the races against "secret" characters can arguably be counted as this) 

I think it could had been easily expanded from the racing game it is as a full-blown 3D platformer if they just built it more like the Genesis games. But that's just me.

No, fellow Kermit, I like that about Sonic R too. It fits the premise of a 3D Sonic game perfectly to me. There's more to it than meets the eye.

The level design was thought through with the participation of Carol Yas, which is already a big help in itself.

Here are some elements we see in Sonic R that haven't been seen all that much lately:

• Multi-purposeness of the rings. They boost your dash pad, which is, sadly, a nuance they simply didn't carry on with. They can be used to access new paths, something never seen again in Sonic games and that fully applies the principle of making the player know when to go slower so that he can go faster. But actually, the only time I can remember in which this was used before was in Sonic 1. Did you know Scrap Brain Act 2 had a secret path only accessible if you had 50 rings?
  • The mythos is an evolution from the classic games. It's only natural that there should be a simulacrum of each hero, as seen in Sonic CD, and that's fantastic because it improves the world Sonic is in. If you could race against Metal Knuckles with Knuckles and Tails Doll with Tails, you'd already have Sonic Heroes' main point, except better.
  • Loops work! Kinda.
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Riders" was an awful attempt to combine the success of the Tony Hawk games with the so-so cult popularity of Sonic R,

I really really doubt they had either of these two games on the mind when they came up with Sonic Riders.

Did you know Scrap Brain Act 2 had a secret path only accessible if you had 50 rings?

I didn't, do tell (or point out on a map lol)!

"Riders" was an awful attempt to combine the success of the Tony Hawk games with the so-so cult popularity of Sonic R, so I think the idea of a "Sonic R 2" would be a very nice decision.

If Sonic wants to skate, make a "Sonic at the X-Games" instead, ok?

I think the "Tony Hawk ripoff" description would better fit the cancelled Sonic Extreme rather than Sonic Riders.

I didn't, do tell (or point out on a map lol)!

The map is too big, so check this out on an external link. And what's more, if you trace the path back to the start, you'll notice you have only 47 rings available until that point, plus 3 right next to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Utterly fascinating - I noticed that route while looking at the map for that act not long ago at all and I was just thinking I'd never taken it!  Thanks for taking the time to point it out.

I think that I would like a sequel, personally I do like the game a lot and as you said TC, the controls are pretty easy to master if you just stop trying to make sonic control like his normal self (though, I don't use the b button to accelerate much) and feel as though this game would really do well with unleashed gameplay but slower, the main problem would be how to balance the characters though since the biggest problem with sonic R is its character balancing.

Yup. Super Sonic was beyond broken.

The turning thing is in the manual.  It's practically mandatory if you main any of the Metallix characters; espeically Metal Sonic.  I think this was where his loeavbly terrible handling started.  As for a sequel.  We've got the Riders and the All Stars, as well as the fact that only a handful of characters can stand up to Sonic in a foot race.  That said, if this ever gets ported to Xbox Live, I will support that decision by buying it three times.  You can probably figure out why.

I think Riders succeeded where R failed, I enjoyed R, but it had next to no content in it, you could complete in an hour or two. The Riders series made more sense and also fixed balancing issues that R had with the Extreme Gear. 

A sequel to R just wouldn't work. I do want it to be re-released on steam at some point though.

if Sonic Team made it so it wasn't unfair, because Sonic is at an advantage since he's on foot because Tails isn't that fast nor is Metal Sonic. Or even remake it with better graphics, ost, and levels, they were too short for a racing game in terms of laps. 

I'd like to see a sequel to Sonic R.

With improved everything.

Graphics.

Control.

Character balancing.

Stage design.

Variety.

Playability.

Usability.

The only tolerable thing about R was the soundtrack, so more of that please.

I'd like to see a sequel to Sonic R.

With improved everything.

Graphics.

Control.

Character balancing.

Stage design.

Variety.

Playability.

Usability.

The only tolerable thing about R was the soundtrack, so more of that please.

I do have to agree with that, the soundtrack was catchy if a little cheesy. The gameplay was horrible to play on the Saturn, and on the PC it was a little better, and characters do need to be balanced if a sequel was to be made.

I think the "Tony Hawk ripoff" description would better fit the cancelled Sonic Extreme rather than Sonic Riders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwN2tnjok

This, also besides them being on boards, sonic riders is nothing like tony hawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwN2tnjok

I think it's funny that (at 1:35) falling off a hoverboard caused Sonic to emote in a more serious way then when the planet exploded in Unleashed.

• 1 month later...

I kinda like Sonic R, but the turning should be easier without an extra trigger for that, unless it's some kind-of drift move, there needs to be more than 5 racetracks, T.J Davis should sing the music tracks, and there should be more characters, if they made a sequel. 

Edited by SonicDude