Awoo.

Cockroaches have evolved to evade current traps "The earth... belonged to the Roaches... 'Ulla!'"

Badnik Mechanic

Scientists in California have confirmed that certain cockroaches have evolved to evade current roach traps. In most traps, Glucose is used to coat the poison used to kill them in various traps, however, some cockroaches have evolved to recognise the glucose and will actually jump back from it.

It turns out that cockroaches no longer taste glucose as being sweet, but rather bitter. In other words, it knows glucose means death.

It doesn't matter what they coat with the glucose, even foods or substances they know roaches like, the moment it tastes the glucose, it panics and runs from the substance.

They even have video showing the roaches reacting to the glucose and jumping back from the food substance, one roach even shock it's head like a baby does when fed something it doesn't like.

SSMB... the roaches are on to us... TO ARMS!

Source: BBC News.

we have video of what this might mean for us as a species.

• Thumbs Up 6

No. No no no. No...No. Nu-uh...No....NO. Nono. Nah. Nien. Noooo. Naw. Not. NO NO NO NO NO NIO....

Not terribly surprised. I wish the dino-meteor nuked them from orbit because I have a pretty bad phobia of them, even worse than spiders these days. Hard to kill, easy to evade... I hate the fucking bastards.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have a phobia of them too. I just...I freeze on the spot whenever I see one and my legs are like jelly. D: Maybe that saying of "roaches can survive an atomic bomb" will soon become a reality. D:

I've never seen one in my life, still though from the pictures I've seen I can tell I don't like them.

This is how it starts folks...

Roaches are fucking awful and the only non-poisonous bug I hate

Fuck roaches stop evolving ;a;

Edited by Rawrdom
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really hate these bastards, especially the big ones. It usually takes a lot of balls from me to squish it and remove it.

So yea, fuck these guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Solution: Spread glucose liberally around their dwellings, and any area where they might find food. In fear of it, they will starve to death.

• Thumbs Up 3

How about we give them explosive gas :u ? I doubt they'd be able to hide themselves while they try to repair themselves.

pTBL1-7388667t240.jpg

Fuck a chemical, stomp these lil motherfuckers. But there rules, don't use your good shoes to kill a roach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7on0lslBqM4

DESPITE WHAT THE SONG SAYS, DO NOT STOMP ON THE ROACHES IN UR AF ONES, OR ANY OTHER GOOD SHOE.

Edited by Noel
  • Thumbs Up 4

Damn, they're getting smarter. But forget roaches, we need to be worrying about the eventual winger spiders the size of cats! I'd take the roaches over them any day.

First it's immunity to sugar coated traps. Soon it'll be immunity to pesticides like Mobile Gas/Raid.

I for one bow down to our new cockroach overlords.

P.S. - Let's see what lovely death traps engineers come up with next for them. As long as it doesn't mutate them into 50 ft. evil, sentient creatures, I'm okay with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, we already have pesticides that liquefy caterpillars from the inside out, I'm sure we can figure out something else for the roaches.

He warned us all, twenty years ago.

This is why we must always listen to Jeff Goldblum.

• Thumbs Up 6

At least it's not a Spider Invasion

spider_invasion_in_australia_640_01.jpg

Why did you remind me of this?

*shudder*

Why did you remind me of this?

*shudder*

I thought that was cotton at first, but then I realized it was spider webs...

DX

If they hate glucose enough, couldn't some kind of deterrent be developed? I guess not if it would literally require coating everything in glucose, but if the scent was enough..?

Reminds me of how African Elephants are evolving to have smaller and smaller tusks in order not to be as appetising for the poachers.