Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games:Console vs Portable

KHCast

So the Mario and Sonic Olympic game titles are pretty popular. I find them pretty enjoyable. There nothing amazing, but fun when you got friends over that are willing to give it a shot. 

The games are split into two versions: Wii/WiiU and DS/3DS. And they are pretty drastically different from eachother. Both versions have their pro's and cons, but which one is your favorite for each of the games released so far in this series?

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-2007032

Here I have to say Wii. The DS version was very bland IMO, and just not that fun.  However the Wii version also was not that fun either, as it was pretty simple in it's goal. The music was nice, although forgettable and the Dream events were pretty meh. Nontheless, I'll take that over bare bones and dry DS version.

36700.jpg

By far my favorite of the Mario and Sonic games. Unlike it's predecessor, it's very vibrant, exciting and very atmospherical.  It also was much larger in many ways since it was now a established franchise at this point.The soundtrack was also very nice as well. The remixes were amazing. The hub world in Wii was a nice addition personally. Very nice touch. 

DS had a story, which was absent in the Wii version. Wii was more or less just a bunch of mini-games with a few extra's you could get. The story was a fun side-thing, but 100% completing all the missions I never really did. (However I did complete all the Bowser JR. and Metal Sonic missions)

Wii had more events and more interesting dream events(dream skiing in Seaside hill or Mario circuit! So fun) which won me over DS which still was very fun in it's own ways. The addition of extra content like costumes and music, plus the interesting and unique ways Wii handled the gameplay won me over big time. So yeah Wii.

MarioSonicLondon2012Olympics-640x503.jpg

I never played a lot of Wii, but from what I heard, I wasn't missing much. The visuals,music and concept of the mini-games were all nice, but the actual gameplay itself was apparently boring and not fun. On top of that, no story mode still. The dream events were very nice looking, and definitely had the most work put into them from what I could tell. The remixes were also god-tier!

3DS on the other hand improved in some areas. Mainly fleshing out the Story mode and adding more meat to it. It was actually pretty lengthy and had a pretty interesting plot(for a mini-game compiliation). Adding more characters and character interaction between the heroes and villains. However the big issue was the lack of having the ability to choose what characters you wanted for the party games. Which was balls. In a party game, I want to choose who I want to play as! The use of the 3DS gimmicks was interesting, but not really that well implemented. The gameplay was also pretty bland mostly. I don't remember Dream events being present either which disappointed me me even more. 

So it's a tie here for me.

One feature I really wish these games had was Online play. But all we really got was leaderboards. It suffers from Mario Party syndrome.:/ Lets hope the next game fixes this.

Overall, that's what i think. I want to here from you now.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Useful

• -Mark-

• KHCast

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really only have the Ds versions of All 3 so I would say that Winter is my favorite, London second, and Beijing last.

Winter has the most fun and interesting minigames and the graphics look very nice for a DS game.

London just Dream Events and the ability too let me pick anyone for any event.

I can cut some slack for beijing because it was the first one though(the dream events are the best thing in the game)

Edited by Dom

I find all the Mario & Sonic games relatively throwaway to be honest, but I do remember the DS version of Winter Olympics being far and above the most substantial single-player experience out of all of them due to the story mode.

London Olympics 3DS probably comes second for that, but still fell a bit flat. Overall I'd say Winter Olympics is the best version on both handheld and console, although I've not actually played the DS version of the Beijing original, so can't judge entirely fairly.

I find all the Mario & Sonic games relatively throwaway to be honest, but I do remember the DS version of Winter Olympics being far and above the most substantial single-player experience out of all of them due to the story mode.

London Olympics 3DS probably comes second for that, but still fell a bit flat. Overall I'd say Winter Olympics is the best version on both handheld and console, although I've not actually played the DS version of the Beijing original, so can't judge entirely fairly.

beijing orginal is even more bland than the Wii version