Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

I've been saying for the longest time that I want Sonic games to stop aiming for the most impressive graphics and instead go for the most pleasing, simple designs. It'll make the entire game production a hell of a lot easier by allowing them to focus on creating interesting level designs with truly fun gameplay. Oh and hey, it looks like they fucking delivered.

Its not really about the graphics. The background just doesn't look interesting at all. Maybe I shouldn't expect backgrounds to be interesting. But heck, I'd expect mountains to be a little bit more than just differently shaded green triangles. Even the Mega Drive games managed to do 'em a whole lot better. As for the general game visuals, I dig them. They look fun and creative. Its just the really static backgrounds that bother me.

Anyway, aside from the visuals, the gameplay looks like it received a very necessary overhaul. Nice new additions to the moveset, wall-running looks great, aside from the really unecessary after-image, which I could forsee becoming rather annoying while you're playing. Not sold on the level design, so I hope that it isn't all one-tone Sonig Extreme for the entirety of the game.

You know guys, it's pretty amazing how much a difference of 2 months can do to graphics.
I mean, lets compare this

To this

At 57 seconds in the first trailer and 24 seconds in the second trailer, both are pretty much the same segments for a few seconds and you can notice how low quality the textures are in the first trailer and the fact there's very little shading as well as some horrible popup and framerate. The second trailer is LEAPS better. The first trailer was released in April while the second one was in June. Edited by PSI Aqua
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well I highly doubt Sonic Team would show us this trailer then 5 months later or something it turns out that it was actually Flight Simulator all along and we were just fooling ourselves!

You seem to be forgetting the other Lost World thread a few days ago when several members voiced their desire for the return of the Tornado levels.

Edited by Deaf Guy in Music Plant

A criticism directed toward this game that I don't understand are complaints about the level artstyle of the setting(s) and by extension the guardians, namely for being non-Sonicy. Aside from the pointed out obvious that the showcased level in question screams Green Hill Zone, given that the game is located on a unique alien world, isn't that kind of the point? Like how Colors's locations were based on various alien worlds, and the Wisps were shaped like weird tentacle things? The world is even referred to as the Lost World.

Well I highly doubt Sonic Team would show us this trailer then 5 months later or something it turns out that it was actually Flight Simulator all along and we were just fooling ourselves!

Sonic 4 Episode II. Tails's return hyped to heaven...only to be revealed as a scrappy required co-op character.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 1

The text in the trailer, the design of it is giving me a comical vibe.
Picture cutscenes better not show up again.

Game looks good, but a little linear for my tastes. Hopefully, there will be many alternate routes thoughout the game. Really like the Sonic X-treme vibes and parkour moves.

Also we're still on Sonic only? Aww that sucks.

Wait, remember, when we heard about a reboot, green hill trope, choppers, powers, friggin flickies, I think this is that reboot.

Wow. This game looks...interesting. I mean don't get me wrong, it looks like fun, but it looks kinda...straight. Now this is a trailer, and the first stage so this hopefully won't be the case for the entire game. But as of now it looks less open than Generations, which worries me. I love the look of it, and I diefinitely get a Sonic X-treme vibe. I also predict integration of the WiiU pad will be a pretty big.

Game looks good, but a little linear for my tastes. Hopefully, there will be many alternate routes thoughout the game. Really like the Sonic X-treme vibes and parkour moves. Also we're still on Sonic only? Aww that sucks.
I would argue that there's still room for Tails or something being shown off later, but I don't suppose Sega could get away with playing such cards so close to their chest this time around, especially for something as sought after as other playable characters. So yeah, looks like sola sonica once more.

One thing I like about this new gameplay style is that Knuckles and Tails at the very least would be much easier to implement than with the boost.

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to be all that impressed by the new gameplay? I know we haven't seen much of it but it looks way to linear and looks as if its going to hover over a bottomless pit the whole time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also i am gonna make this post...which it pretty much what i expect to see in the future to come:(some of these i wish as well)

~ There gonna be rails.(probably)
~ If there Wisps are indeed here then they gonna work the same way they did in Colours(not a prob with me)
~ The graphics not gonna improve by a large margin or anything(personally i think they look great)

~ Boost probably won't be there but something similar to speed section will be there since it seems in the trailer Sonic is in 8-figure and in the speed movement we've been used to see in Unleashed/Colours/Gen.
~ The levels we are gonna see are probably already figured from the World Map
~ The level design they went with might scream MOAR Chars but "Only ONE can save them"
~ Spindash/Super-peel out coming back?(spindash is probably the same as Generations)
~ 6 bosses, 6 zones, one final destination for ultimate showdown.
~ Story probably simple, light-hearted(basing that to the animals)
~ The trailer shows Sonic being more parkour-ish and stuff so we'll probably see some interesting stuff.
~ We'll travel with Tornado looks like it since the stage is in the sky.

Ah, I finally managed to catch up with the rest of you guys. Sheesh, leave for a couple hours and Sonic news just springs up out of nowhere. I must be the new Inferno, or something... Anyway:

... Well, now, I'm certainly quite impressed with what I've seen today. Everything I wanted to say has already been said about a billion times by now, but let me say this: as far as I'm concerned, everything looks quite fun and exciting. Now, I can safely board the Hype Train. smile.png

Bring on tomorrow, Sega!

Edited by Komodin

I don't know how I feel. I miss the organic feel of Generations and the level design seems very tubelike even though there's a few alternate routes and stuff, but I was hoping for more open area type gameplay rather than multiple tubes. It also kind of feels like the level is so separate from the background in a very Colours type fashion. The moveset is very cool, as are the guardians. I'm very disappointed it's Green Hill yet again, but hopefully the rest of the game is more imaginative. But I thought for a new console and a new Sonic they'd do something more original to open the game.

I'm sure it will play well and be fun with the new gameplay but I thought it would have worked better with more open level design, but we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Semi-colon e

qj4O7O2.jpg

YOU'RE TOO SLOW, SONIC

Also, I don't get the 'linear' thing everyone's saying. You can clearly see the background flipped upside down and turned midways throughout the entire trailer; not only are we seeing an active amount of obstacles on one path, there's entirely new paths underneath and along the sides. I mean, we don't even know what the other side of this particular part looks like.

• Thumbs Up 8

OK, more organized now:

Most pointless homing attack chains this side of...  wait we have a new low.  The chains in the trailer go nowhere.  

Who are these deadly losers and why are there Badniks everywhere?  They look like candy mascots.  

Why is Green Hill Zone suddenly Green Hill Galaxy?

I get the impression that much like Sonic Colors you're going to be in 2D most of the time.  I don't see them having fixed the controls to the point where much of what is in the trailer would be workable with their 3D control (90 turns over nothing).  

They continue to use that Chemical Plant Zone style speed booster as though that makes it OK that there are speed boosters. 

Parkour seems to have been implemented without considering why.  Just seems like they were reading forums threads or something.  

Still those walk-on springs.  Might as well just be a straight line if you're going to do that.  

And now they seem to have gotten bored with the spin jump or something and now Sonic does that really dumb... leg extension when bouncing on enemies.  

Once again the good points of the trailer are the most superficial goddamn things that they could think of, Super Peel out and the classic enemy popping noise. 

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, more organized now:

Most pointless homing attack chains this side of...  wait we have a new low.  The chains in the trailer go nowhere.  

Who are these deadly losers and why are there Badniks everywhere?  They look like candy mascots.  

Why is Green Hill Zone suddenly Green Hill Galaxy?

I get the impression that much like Sonic Colors you're going to be in 2D most of the time.  I don't see them having fixed the controls to the point where much of what is in the trailer would be workable with their 3D control (90 turns over nothing).  

They continue to use that Chemical Plant Zone style speed booster as though that makes it OK that there are speed boosters. 

Parkour seems to have been implemented without considering why.  Just seems like they were reading forums threads or something.  

Still those walk-on springs.  Might as well just be a straight line if you're going to do that.  

And now they seem to have gotten bored with the spin jump or something and now Sonic does that really dumb... leg extension when bouncing on enemies.  

Once again the good points of the trailer are the most superficial goddamn things that they could think of, Super Peel out and the classic enemy popping noise. 

Jeez, I don't think ill ever live to see you ever excited or at the very least not cynical for a Sonic game, lol.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to be all that impressed by the new gameplay? I know we haven't seen much of it but it looks way to linear and looks as if its going to hover over a bottomless pit the whole time.

I'm kinda worried about this as well. I mean, the new movesets just look downright brilliant and look like they'd be incredibly fun to pull off, but at the same time, the cylindrical structure of the level also makes me feel like movement would feel kind of constrained.

Also, graphics-wise, I know the video is heavily compressed and all, but am I the only one who thinks the colors look a bit too saturated? I dunno, it's not too huge of an issue in the end, but I'd prefer a Generations color-scheme over this one, judging from what we've seen so far. Also, those backgrounds are pretty static and kinda dull looking, from what I'm seeing. I hope this isn't the case for all levels, as I love what games like Generations did with that waterfall in Green Hill for example. The design of the guardians are brilliant though; no fault with them, CGI is brilliant as always. And the prospect of those guys being potential bosses has me a bit excited, although I really want to see (if at all) how Eggman plays into this whole grand scheme.

Not very excited about the Wisps returning, assuming they play anything like Generations or Colors, but if they can make them flow with the progression of the level better, then that's cool. Return of the super peel out (?) looks interesting, and I see not a single boost in sight, which makes me hope for what else they implemented to increase speed (spindash and roll please; those slopes look fantastic for them).

Not much to really judge in regards to the story, but I don't expect much. While I'd love to see this kind of grand story in a similar spirit as Unleashed and the Adventures, but I kind of just expect the bare minimum with these things. Kind of expect solo Sonic again too, which kind of sucks, but eh.

So with that said, I'm not too excited for the game with what's been presented so far, but I hope there's some new trends that this game can make when it comes to the Sonic series direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well! Finally had a chance to check this trailer out!

tumblr_mfceglscUu1qjtajso1_500.gif

Awesome looking artstyle, interesting addtions to the gameplay, level designs that screams "multiple paths, plattforming and speed", good designs on the Deadly Six all put together in a big chunky love letter to new and old? This WILL be in my WIIU day one.

And a possibility of Wisps returning? I can take it or leave it. Just have a better idea of how to implement them and I'll be right as rain.

Will there be playable characters other than Sonic? Despite who finds what in this trailer. I'll go ahead and wait until we're more months deep or until a Sega/Sonic Team rep confirms what's what. Would appreciate it though. I'd really love to play as some of the others again.

Edited by YoshiUnity

Sonic Generations is probably the most saturated and bloom-y Sonic game to date so Lost World really shouldn't take pointers from it. It also made the game look jagged and low-budget in a lot of areas where Unleashed was only slightly more subtle about it's models, though like Generations all of it's budget seemed to have gone into one level, in Unleashed's case it being Apotos.

Lost World's problems seem to be the textures more than anything. They don't look too varied, but I can't tell from the compression quality.

Hmm....After looking at the world, I still have to say I prefer the generations version of Green Hill zone. I don't know, that one I feel had more detail put into the actual world. LW still has detail, but not nearly as much as Generations did. This definitely is more crazy and colorful though, I won't lie. But as of now,I like the look of Generations green hill more.:/

Great trailer, I have really high hopes for the changes made to the gameplay, I also have to say I really love how the Guardians turned out.

Also, has anybody else noticed the abundance of sheep in this stage?

vDOckgK.png

9Wf1VPH.png

I know this isn't anything revolutionary or important, I just thought it was an interesting level decor choice.

Edited by Haden