Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

I figure the wisps will be better in this game when the specifically listed new and improved as one of the new things for their comebacks.

Either way, this forums seems to be evenly split over whether or not the Wisps' return is a good thing.

I'm at most indifferent towards the Wisps. They were a good enough gameplay mechanic in Colours, and Generations shoe-horned them into Planet Wisp really badly. But I couldn't give a toss enough they were in or not.

I'm sorry guys, but as you've gathered from my status updates, I'm really not feeling it with this game. Yeah, I've got an avatar of the Green Guardian 'Sassy' but that's because it looked good... until they announced the Wisps. God dammit, Sega, why are you bringing back things that I don't like. I know it's not all about me, but the Wisps fall into 'shitty gimmick' for me. As for Yacker, well he's a 'shitty friend' and no doubt he'll be back.

We have no idea how or even if the wisps are integrated into the story, and we don't know how the wisps work in this game aside from being powerups. They weren't even that shitty in Colors, so I don't know why this is suddenly some huge dealbreaker.

• Thumbs Up 7

God dammit, Sega, why are you bringing back things that I don't like.

Same reason they brought back Shadow and then made a game out of him, kept the boost formula, etc... because the public loved them?

Not to mention that having all the Wisps back means we don't have the Light Speed Dash by default, so we've shed even more of the horrible Adventure gameplay elements.

I'm sorry guys, but as you've gathered from my status updates, I'm really not feeling it with this game. Yeah, I've got an avatar of the Green Guardian 'Sassy' but that's because it looked good... until they announced the Wisps. God dammit, Sega, why are you bringing back things that I don't like. I know it's not all about me, but the Wisps fall into 'shitty gimmick' for me. As for Yacker, well he's a 'shitty friend' and no doubt he'll be back.

Again, as I stated earlier, there isn't much evidence showing that they play a significant role.

JUST as a power up... an optional power up, for optional side paths. No need to dis the game because wisps even have a mild appearance lol even I don't want wisps to come back, but if they are purely for optional power ups, and aren't over used, I don't mind it.

Same reason they brought back Shadow and then made a game out of him, kept the boost formula, etc... because the public loved them?

Not to mention that having all the Wisps back means we don't have the Light Speed Dash by default, so we've shed even more of the horrible Adventure gameplay elements.

What was so horrible about the light speed dash? I thought it was kinda fun. 

Except, of course... in Sonic Adventure 1, when they made you stop running, charge it up lol and then use it. If it was as easy to use as Sonic Adventure 2, I would have been fine with it. Especially since it gave you a minor speed up. But that being said, it wouldnt serve much purpose in this game since we can control Sonics speed completely this time around.

If it was as easy to use as Sonic Adventure 2, I would have been fine with it.

What was fine about gambling between it working, only going along a few rings then suddenly flying off in another direction or dropping dead, and Bounce Attacking into a bottomless pit? Not to mention the unstable one we even got in Generations, that tends to not work when you're going at it from any sort of angle that isn't straight? Not to mention it destroying any extended use for the Electric Shield, and ended up completely vanishing along with even the default Shield just because they became useless?

It's a flawed concept that's been one of the many things holding back the 3D gameplay and was just another form of free-cruising automation... while racking up rings, no less.

I will just remind you all that bringing back the wisps should require a story explanation because you know.. They disappeared along with their planets. And this is not even Sonic's world, so ther eshould be an explanation of why exactly they are there.

I like the Wisps returning but ONLY if they explain how they wound up being there and elaborate on that.

They seem to be capable of flying through space under their own power, it could be as simple as them wanting to travel and explore other worlds. Heck, maybe they didn't even know about other worlds until Eggman kidnapped their planet.

I will just remind you all that bringing back the wisps should require a story explanation because you know.. They disappeared along with their planets. And this is not even Sonic's world, so ther eshould be an explanation of why exactly they are there.

I like the Wisps returning but ONLY if they explain how they wound up being there and elaborate on that.

They're Sonic's friends now. They heard he was on some Lost World to fight bad guys, they came to help out. Or just happened to be around, they are space travelling aliens after all.

I been saying the whole time, think of the Wisps like Yoshis, They are characters, but also power ups. Yoshis are from Dinosaur Land, yet they still show up around Isle Delfino and in space and shit because the game calls for it. I'm cool with Wisps being the same way.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm more interested in the game structure to be honest. Is it actually going to be a game that is designed for a single playthrough? I miss tense moments at the end of S1 or 3 where you only had one more chance to get that last emerald, or where you only had 1 or 2 more lives an act or boss away from the completing the game. I also would really prefer big rings to red rings.

They are probably not going to explain that. They are here. Period.

Nowadays Sonic games focus more on the gameplay, leaving the story aspect in the (far) background. I'm one of those guys who don't like this choice but, hey, that's how things roll now.

Still, I'm not hyped. At all. The gameplay looks cool, with parkour movements and (I hope) wider stage, no boost, apparently. And I'm fine with that. But...(stop me if you've already heard this) the Deadly Six look very out of place, just like the Wisps and, on the other side of the spectrum, Black Doom did before them. The style looks too cartoony and even the Badniks look like cheap plastic toys instead of, you know, machines. And, yes, I would prefer Sonic to have his own style instead of being clearly inspired by Mario. That was one of my major nitpicks on Sonic Colors, with Sweet Mountain. And reading that Sonic now can fly trough the air, thanks to some power-ups...makes me very disappointed. I thought that this time, maybe, other characters would have been playable. Don't get me wrong, I like the blue pincushion, but he is not my favourite character in the series, especially after the writers of Colors and Generations came on board. I'm hoping for some Eggman / Sonic interaction though, maybe without cringeworthy jokes, like calling Eggman Baldy McNosehair (yeah, sorry, never liked that joke),

But, eh. I'm planning to buy just a 3DS, so I will probably miss all the Eggmanesque fun.

Then again, I'm only judging a trailer. Not liking what I've seen but...once the game comes out...who knows?

These are my two cents, SSMB.

Edited by Nald From Never Lake

The style looks too cartoony

Sonic_Gems_300.jpg

sonic_the_hedgehog_conceptart_Sn6yx.jpg

sonic_in_green_hill_zone_by_sonicsama-d5

???

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

What was fine about gambling between it working, only going along a few rings then suddenly flying off in another direction or dropping dead, and Bounce Attacking into a bottomless pit? Not to mention the unstable one we even got in Generations, that tends to not work when you're going at it from any sort of angle that isn't straight? Not to mention it destroying any extended use for the Electric Shield, and ended up completely vanishing along with even the default Shield just because they became useless?

It's a flawed concept that's been one of the many things holding back the 3D gameplay and was just another form of free-cruising automation... while racking up rings, no less.

I never said it worked WELL... I clearly said "if it was as easy to use, id be fine with it." 

I was referring to my previous comment, on the same post, where I said that in Sonic Adventure 1 you had to charge it just to use it. 

IF it was as "easy" to use as SA2, as in, JUST press 1 button when your next to rings, AND it functioned the way it was meant to, I still so nothing wrong with it.

Wait, remember, when we heard about a reboot, green hill trope, choppers, powers, friggin flickies, I think this is that reboot.

Don't believe in rumours.

Sonic_Gems_300.jpg

sonic_the_hedgehog_conceptart_Sn6yx.jpg

sonic_in_green_hill_zone_by_sonicsama-d5

???

As nice as those look (I dig that last one), I wouldn't want a game to look like that. Not because there's anything wrong with having a cartoony style, but because I would rather not have it used for a game's graphics.

Edited by Frogging101

Don't believe in rumours.

Yeah, I highly doubt this is a reboot, '06 was meant to be a continuity reboot, see where that went? Plotholes galore.

Yeah, I highly doubt this is a reboot, '06 was meant to be a continuity reboot, see where that went? Plotholes galore.

I agree with you.

*pictures of concept art plus fan art*

I see your point, but I also see Nald's, and the underwhelming detail of the game compared to Generations is completely ruining my hype.

It's not that it looks too cartoony, it's that it looks too simplistic. There's a good reason everyone keeps saying it looks like a Mario game- because it does. 

Edited by The Sunheart
  • Thumbs Up 1

The most important thing to me is flow. I never actually played Sonic Colors, but from what I've seen the wisps wreak havoc on the flow of the game. Sudden stops, shifts in speed and sudden changes of direction, changed game mechanics, it's just too much! I just want to play as Sonic; leave the gimmicky power ups to Mario. I'm very happy about the tiered speed system they're introducing, as well as the parkour moves. Both of these are things I've been desperate for since SA1. I just hope they're implemented well. They look pretty good from the trailer.

I'm also worried about linearity. People are all excited about springs in that one screenshot that look like they send you to a different path, but to me that doesn't count as being non-linear. Multiple linear paths are still linear paths. I want an open world, something like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Jak and Daxter or Spyro. I know that's not a popular opinion; people have been put off the idea of open world Sonic games by the terrible, boring, empty hub worlds in the adventure games and worst of all Sonic 06 of course, but if they were well designed and meant for exploration instead of just being hub worlds, I'm still convinced they'd be much much better than linear paths. Open world as a concept is definitely better, it's just a question of how well it's designed and implemented.

Everything I'm seeing and hearing about this new game (with the exception of Wisps) looks awesome to me in theory. Again, it's just a question of how well it's implemented.

Edited by MisterMacanulty
  • Thumbs Up 1

???

I'm sorry, Soma, but you showed me some concept art and a fan art. That is, something that never went in a real game, and how a fan sees a game. I see your point there, though, and probably "cartoony" is not the right word for what I had in mind, talking about the stages. But really, I don' t feel like comparing Wind Hill to, say, Green Hill or Emerald Hil, but more to something out of Mario. And I like Mario games. It's just...that style doesn't  remind me of Sonic. Simple as that. It's too simplistic.

Edited by Nald From Never Lake

I reeeaaaallllyyy hope they give this game hub worlds.

of ALLLLL the Sonic games to have hub worlds, it should be this one. The one with tiered speed that lets you run/walk around a place smoothly and appropriately depending on the area, it would just be perfect. 

Some smaller dense areas, for him to walk and jump on things, and more open areas, for him to just run around and play with his new unlockable moves (since they said you can unlock new running animations and other things)

• Thumbs Up 9

For some reason. I feel that if this game has a hub world, it will end up like the one in Generations HD. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of hub worlds, I reckon the level select (if not a hub world like Generations HD) will be like Unleashed, scrolling across the world and such.

You know, I just realized, surely enough merchandise from Jazwares will come out for this right?

And then, no matter how much we beg them to make the cute little woodland animals, they will decide instead to make the Deadly Six and call it a day.

I can deal with that. The Deadly Six will make gorgeous figures.

• Thumbs Up 4