Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

Gonna be honest that trailer did nothing for me. I didn't see anything there that interested me...art direction is okay for the most part but I was feeling rather underwhelmed. I didn't see much in the way of anything besides going in a straight line (again) and the textures seemed quite lacking compared to other efforts too. Not sure how I feel about the six villains nor the fact that it reminds me of Mario Galaxy because I don't like that game.

I'll keep an open mind of course, not that I'll be able to play it, but I gotta say that while I appreciate the return to a more whimsical sort of world felt like a bit of a return to the past, I just am not feeling hyped for this at all due to how everything else looks to me. Granted this is just a debut trailer and it didn't seem cut very well so perhaps it was just a bad trailer for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

...How does this look like a Mario game? And of course we haven't seen much, it's a teaser trailer.

C'mon dude you gotta admit its screaming Mario Galaxy at some bits.

EDIT: instrumental of the trailer theme:

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 2

Calling it now: When Lost Worlds gets good scores, the fans will claim it's because Nintendo did all the work, and that SEGA is a has-been who's holding them back, and they should just give Sonic to real game developers because the TRUE SAWNIK FANS say so.

I...can't really say the trailer got me excited at all.

To be fair, it's not the trailer's fault, I've just had a shit day. The designs of the baddies look sweet, and I love the fluffy sheepies about. Gameplay and level design, not feeling it right now. 

Adventure games made sence, they had some A-B-C story. Where's GUN for example?

Before Unleashed it somehow were making me to like hedgehog, and fat man, and robots. Now it's Chupa-Chups commercial.

707Xrmu.png

I think you're getting your 90's Genesis Platformers Mixed up

No, he's more like fat blue hedgie-girl with Rarity's smile.

what does this even mean

I need to reflect on this in my Shark Cave

anyway, Trailer looks pretty Nifty-o, I still say the designs of the Deadly Six seem very expected, but in a way I like them anyway. Gameplay looks cool Aswell, and as for the level.....it's cool and all, but I hope not all levels are suspended in Midair like that.

Edit:

"What are we going to do on a bed?"

Pomf~=3

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 3

I can see the Galaxy comparison in terms of how the levels are floating in the air or whatever (I'm not sure how to put it, haha), but this really looks like pure Sonic to me. *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 6

Also I gotta say I really love the whole aesthetic of this game so far. So cartoony and colorful and bouncy and energetic. Looks pure 90s in 2010s HD.

I wonder what all the new moves are.

Looks like you can really spam the shit out of the homing attack this time. I like the sequence when Sonic runs around the semi-circle next to the waterfall. The game appears to have some interesting platforming sections.

Damn, now I am jealous I haven't got a Wii U. Perhaps I should rectify that.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

Also I gotta say I really love the whole aesthetic of this game so far. So cartoony and colorful and bouncy and energetic. Looks pure 90s in 2010s HD.

But isn't that what Generations was? But less detailed?

To be honest, they only seemed to show off the the generic Green Hill level. Green Hill tends to be about going forward, but looking really good while going forward, and holy fuck did that level get the hell out of that right. There's a lot of potential for complex level design in there, we just gotta wait to see what's in store, I guess. Even for Green Hill Zone that's some interesting platforming though, I gotta admit.

Edited by Τhe Joker

Well I admit defeat, Waluigi really had an open mouth and not a dognose.

Anyways, thoughts

- I can't quite understand what's going on, gameplay-wise; possibly a result of headaches. Looks fun though.

- Also looks very X-Treme

- Also Also looks very SM Galaxy, but in the sense that the level is a random obstacle course with a backdrop, which doesn't please me

- what's the point of a ledge grab if sonic can jump

- Nice wall running though

- Seems they merged boost and spindash.

- Lovely Deadly Six designs.

EDIT: Oh, and anyone expecting much plot- the first focus of the trailer were the Sonic 1 animals. Show me a game that focuses on them and has much of a plot.

2rx7hn9.png

2453296-you+confuse+knuckles.png

Please, SEGA?

wrong

charmy_the_bee_theme_by_allie_the_wolf-d

- what's the point of a ledge grab if sonic can jump

Maybe that move will be used to grab a platform which a normal jump can't reach?

After the hype has died down, here's my thoughts:

Pros:

- just about all the game mechanics (slopes and parkour, YES YES YES YES)
- return of more classic influence (I'm really okay with this because it seems like they're getting the classic vibe down really well)

- Deadly Six look pretty cool and NoTW-ish

- animals return aww yis

- the art style is pretty dang pleasant

- did they just mix the boost and Spindash? hopes and dreams could be real~

- return of the (better) dashpad <3

Cons:

- I'm really worried about all the level design being "Galaxy"-esque because of how it looks like a big stage suspended in the sky with a backdrop. I was definitely hoping for more expansive level design.

- the camera at times made it really confusing. Hoping that's just the trailer trying to show off the game, though.

- I don't know how I feel about the Xtreme-ish warped look of things, nor the lack of detail compared to Colors and Generations. Since this looks like a one-time endeavor though, I may be pretty okay with this.

- I miss the Colors designs for the badniks, no matter how cool this looks for them too. ;-;

Really, I'm just hopeful for bigger levels than this (which I wouldn't be surprised about considering how first levels tend to be small like this), and a lot to offer as a game, especially in the story. 

Either way, still hyped! Hopeful for lots of good things to come from this!!

• Thumbs Up 7

I know Barry already posted this, but this just made my day. It's like I'm suddenly back during the Saturn days waiting for Sonic-Xtreme to come out.

xtreme3.jpg

ndjIQRM.png

You know, even though it was obvious, was anyone else really fucking happy that they kept Roger Craig Smith on? It's just great to hear him puking all over the game's audio again :')

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it bad that I'm not hyped, like at all? I can't tell whether I'll enjoy playing this from watching the trailer. And that's not what a trailer is supposed to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, this was a nice surprise to come to. I should have guessed SEGA would give IGN the trailer a day early, just like they usually do. I'm kind of mixed on this. They've answered my prayers of a new gameplay style and the eliminating of the boost, but it's still pretty linear and it looks like Sonic might be the only playable character again. I really don't like the fact we've got six monsters of the week instead of Eggman created robots either. I LOVE the classic look they've gone for and so Eggman's creations would have fit right in as the end of level bosses. I also love the Xtreme meets Mario Galaxy feel this gives off. 

Can't wait to see more and I also look forward to seeing the 3DS version.

After the hype has died down, here's my thoughts:

Pros:

- just about all the game mechanics (slopes and parkour, YES YES YES YES)

This is the only pro that matters to me. I'm sorry, but this is what I always wanted. I'm not seeing the Soni X-Treme. I'm seeing the Prince Persia that Ubisoft that I always wanted.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is awesome:

D-sIkDWfccU.gif

You can't tell me this isn't "Sonic-y"

There is absolutely nothing Mario-like about that. It's more Sonic-y than any Sonic game released since 1996.

• Thumbs Up 3