Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

YES! YES! YES! Non Wii U owners won't be totally punished for not owning a Wii U! YES! *jumps with fist in the air, followed by freeze frame*

• Thumbs Up 1

I much preferred the "photorealism" of Generations and Unleashed, but everyone has different tastes I guess.

I gotta agree. I mean this still looks amazing for what its going for, and I still like this look. I just Prefer Unleashed and Generations atm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this game is going to get surreal very quick with its multiple dimensions of gravity... and I thought the ringworlds of Halo could get a bit confusing to look at.

Liking the cartoony feel... well at least we know now the Guardians are bad guys.

Now to find out how Eggman's masterminded this plot. I presume he enslaved them.

This game kind of reminds me of Rayman Origin in one sense: it finally looks like a living, breathing cartoon. I think this art direction suits Sonic perfectly.

Yesss. Sega are finally getting it and going back to Sonic's goofy cartoon roots. I love it. Everything from the esigns to the new animation here and there, it's fantastic.

One thing that's also going to be good about the 3DS version is the stages are going to look great- a lot of these appear to have a ridiculous amount of depth to them, and have you doing things like running up towers, etc. If they nail the 3D effect the sense of scale is going to be fantastic

I much preferred the "photorealism" of Generations and Unleashed, but everyone has different tastes I guess.

You're not serious, right? Do you remember what the humans looked like in Unleashed? I'll never understand the push for realism over cartoony in a game about a giant blue hedgehog. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You're not serious, right? Do you remember what the humans looked like in Unleashed? I'll never understand the push for realism over cartoony in a game about a giant blue hedgehog. 

Well, I was talking more about the actual levels than the humans or anything else. I just happen to like the vibrant and realistic visuals of the Hedgehog Engine (and whatever was used for Generations, if it's different).

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Frogging meant the actual design of the stages in Generations and Unleashed. not too much of either one. It seemed like the sweet spot.

I like both. I kind of want to see them integrated. Unleashed and Generations had a lot of detail and depth. It was a whole lot richer because there was a lot more there. There was more stuff on-screen.

As it stands it looks really, really pretty, but I want to see what this art style would look like, when its applied to a situation where there is more stuff on screen.  

• Thumbs Up 3

humans in Unleashed

I actually REALLY like the way the humans looked like in Unleashed. Not "realistic" like Sonic Adventure/Shadow the Hedgehog, just this side of cartoony and exaggerated that they look like they could exist alongside Sonic the Hedgehog and Nack the Weasel and shit

• Thumbs Up 5

I like both. I kind of want to see them integrated. Unleashed and Generations had a lot of detail and depth. It was a whole lot richer because there was a lot more there. There was more stuff on-screen.

As it stands it looks really, really pretty, but I want to see what this art style would look like, when its applied to a situation where there is more stuff on screen.  

If by more "stuff" you mean a lot of useless clutter and bleeding green bloom light over anything, than sure, it had more stuff.

Lost World looks visually cleaner and sweeter- most everything on screen so far has been somewhere you could go or interact with and that's a great decision IMO.

I don't know about you but I loved having visuals like this.

sonicgen.jpg

speed-highway-classic-sonic.jpg

Sonic_Generations_13136120142714.jpg

It's appealing. It's never a bad thing to have stuff like this going on around you. Don't know why we can't  have visuals like this with this style...:/ It could still work.

You've seen one stage from the game, that doesn't even look that different from the first screenshot you posted, with fanboy goggles off. I don't really get how people can think that stage in particular looks unappealing, it looks great. Yes it looks different, but we're in a new gen and playing a new game... shouldn't it be different from the last one?

There's plenty of room for the remaining worlds to have stuff like the latter, although I believe the city type stages is something that should probably stay as Unleashed's theme

You've seen one stage from the game, that doesn't even look that different from the first screenshot you posted, fanboy goggles off. There's plenty of room for the remaining worlds to have stuff like the latter, although I believe the city type stages is something that should probably stay as Unleashed's theme

I'm not hating the Current graphics/visuals. They look great, and hopefully other levels will look amazing as well.  I'm just saying that Visually, I don't see why we can't have stuff going on in the back like in Gen. while having this gameplay style. Like you said, maybe they will have stuff like this, in which case I will be perfectly fine.

Oh and I can see quite a few differences from GHZ Gen and GHZ LW. It's definitely noticeable.(It's not as organic and detailed IMO.) And I'm not being a fanboy for liking a certain art style.

Edit: I will agree that the City Trope probably won't work here however. 

Edited by Gonard

Looks awesome, just one thing.

Lighting and shaders, their GI tech is clearly not there, Generations, Unleashed and even Colors had much better lighting, I hope it's just early footage though.

the levels seems to focus in a fuckton of exploration, I can't wait to people raping these in the speedruns.

• Thumbs Up 2

If by more "stuff" you mean a lot of useless clutter and bleeding green bloom light over anything, than sure, it had more stuff.

The flaws in the lighting engine don't really mean anything...

Lost World looks visually cleaner and sweeter- most everything on screen so far has been somewhere you could go or interact with and that's a great decision IMO.

Which I suppose, is where the Mario Galaxy comparisons come from. The stage looks like its floating above a random background image. Thing about Sonic games, is that since the beginning they looked like they were a part of an environment. That is the thing that I feel is missing here. Or at least in this particular stage. The stage feels completely disconnected from the environment its supposed to be based off of.

EDIT;

I'm not saying it looks bad, because it looks fucking gorgeous. I have no qualms with the the art style or with the way that it looks. I just think it looks too.....disconnected.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5

The game looks surreal as fuck, just by looking at this level alone I think of Sonic CD's visuals, even more than Colors ever reminded me. CD was such a bizarre looking game and Lost World is shaping up to be compared to the other 3D titles. I think the absurd geometry in this game is going to be to my liking.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game looks surreal as fuck, just by looking at this level alone I think of Sonic CD's visuals, even more than Colors ever reminded me. CD was such a bizarre looking game and Lost World is shaping up to be compared to the other 3D titles. I think the absurd geometry in this game is going to be to my liking.

I especially like how in fixed my initial fears I had regarding the level tropes being a tad to generic, good to know that won't be the case now.

I don't really care about the floating landscape this time around because the gameplay is so different now. It might not even be much a problem, hell we might not even get many bottomless pits in SLW unlike Unleashed where they were strategically placed to fuck up your speedrun. Clearly there is not so much boosting involved anymore so maybe it won't be such an annoyance this time.

Btw, really happy to see a proper 3D version on 3DS and not just another Sonic Rush. Here's hoping it's a great handheld game too!

Looks awesome, just one thing.

Lighting and shaders, their GI tech is clearly not there, Generations, Unleashed and even Colors had much better lighting, I hope it's just early footage though.

the levels seems to focus in a fuckton of exploration, I can't wait to people raping these in the speedruns.

I wouldn't be surprised if they left out a lot of the effects on purpose to achieve 60fps. I think that less is more in this case, I think it's a cleaner and better looking game than both Sonic Generations and Unleashed. It's just got a much better style.

28017soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

Why the fuck are there random bits of candy corn on the ground?

Wait, who gives a fuck it's candy corn, you don't need a damn reason!

Sonic chasing Dragon Waluigi who stole the fucking moon and there's candy corn in a big floating Hill Zone in the sky.

This game is AWESOME.

• Thumbs Up 4

Watch the 3D areas be extremely simplified and similar to Unleashed Wii.

/pessimistic

The game seems to be using a similar engine to Hedgehog Engine at least. Just improved and better.

And honestly, I like this art style better.

I really am loving this so far.

i have a people are just butthurt over this generally cos wii u exclusive and stuff, you know it i know it

This could be GOTY. YEAAAAAH.

Oh, thank GOD. I'm tired of watered-down, solely-2D handheld versions. THANK YOU SEGA. happy.png

Oh, thank GOD. I'm tired of watered-down, solely-2D handheld versions. THANK YOU SEGA. happy.png

Does that mean that:

1-DIMPS Learned the lesson?

2-DIMPS Learned where the back exit was?

• Thumbs Up 2

Does that mean that:

1-DIMPS Learned the lesson?

2-DIMPS Learned where the back exit was?

I kind of have this dream where Dimps is developing Sonic 4 ep 3 while Sonic Lost World 3DS is being made by Sonic Colors dev team