Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

I kind of have this dream where Dimps is developing Sonic 4 ep 3 while Sonic Lost World 3DS is being made by Sonic Colors dev team

That would be super nice. Just give all the love to Lost World, Sonic 4 is a lost cause.

I really hope this isn't just a straight poet of fthe consooe versiion... Otherwise it looks grwat and i can'r wait o get it. Much more effort that than genrations 3dS' masterful design fo straight lines lol. As for dimps, I think this look way yo more effortful than they can do nowadays, Personally. They're probably working on tsonic 4 ep 3 which by the time this releases nobody will give a fuck about sonic 4 lol I know I fon't

I really hope this isn't just a straight poet of fthe consooe versiion... Otherwise it looks grwat and i can'r wait o get it. Much more effort that than genrations 3dS' masterful design fo straight lines lol. As for dimps, I think this look way yo more effortful than they can do nowadays, Personally. They're probably working on tsonic 4 ep 3 which by the time this releases nobody will give a fuck about sonic 4 lol I know I fon't
..go home prince. You're drunk.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Lighting and shaders, their GI tech is clearly not there, Generations, Unleashed and even Colors had much better lighting, I hope it's just early footage though.

28017soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

There is yellow tint on purple guy's hands. There's green tint on Sonic's body. 

It's all there. The GIA is there. The shadows may be not visible due to the sun/camera positions. But it's there. And this looks good. 

Whether you feel Unleashed or Generations has better lighting is up to you, just wanted to point out that... there actually is more than basic lighting here.

Looks awesome, just one thing.

Lighting and shaders, their GI tech is clearly not there, Generations, Unleashed and even Colors had much better lighting, I hope it's just early footage though.

the levels seems to focus in a fuckton of exploration, I can't wait to people raping these in the speedruns.

Global illumination is still there but seems almost out of place among the other effects on display. 

28017soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

There is yellow tint on purple guy's hands. There's green tint on Sonic's body. 

It's all there. The GIA is there. The shadows may be not visible due to the sun/camera positions. But it's there. And this looks good. 

Whether you feel Unleashed or Generations has better lighting is up to you, just wanted to point out that... there actually is more than basic lighting here.

Actually this game is pretty basic compared to previous games, really basic non volumetric particle effects on explosions, no specularity in sight, bloom obviously isn't going to happen like this, and... blob shadows under objects?  Looks really out of date.  Aside from the GI Aside from the GI it looks really out of date. 

I don't think that purple yogurt mascot has a texture on his skin, this really isn't the sort of shader where you can get away with that.  

Edit: before someone points out the sparkles, those are just particle effects as well, like if you were to just airbrush a glow around a spot.  It would be like taking the Mystic Forest skybox and claiming that NiGHTS into Dreams... could do light shafts.  

Wait those sparkles and that star, as if there weren't enough SMG comparisons to be made...

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just thought. With Nintendo publishing in Europe, then media for this game won't be released in the EU SEGA Press Vault D:

What's this?

2hintbubble.png

Good eye! Maybe some sort of multiplier?

What's this?

2hintbubble.png

Didn't IGN said something about Tunnel racing?

Maybe there are laps in some stages or in some locations? and that one is the 2nd lap or something like that?

I think people are confusing the lack of overly detailed textures, bloom and other some such effects as some kind of limitation of the wii u (which is bullshit, it outclasses current gen lolz) when it's really just artistic direction.

They're obviously going for a more cartoony/flat look with everything from the ground textures to the on hit effects when sonic attacks, takes off and hits springs, which currently look more like drawn effects than traditional game effects. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's clean, appealing and it reads well- something which unleashed and generations often didn't do as their visual styles tended to look cluttered and messy depending on the stage. Just cuz you can put something there, or have a certain effect doesn't mean you should

I don't think that purple yogurt mascot has a texture on his skin, this really isn't the sort of shader where you can get away with that.  

Well... It clearly has *a* texture- he's purple, his horns have stripes. It's just not an ultra detailed scaly one. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I think people are confusing the lack of overly detailed textures, bloom and other some such effects as some kind of limitation of the wii u (which is bullshit, it outclasses current gen lolz) when it's really just artistic direction.

I don;t recall anyone ever saying that it was a limitation of the Wii U. We all know it isn't

They're obviously going for a more cartoony/flat look with everything from the ground textures to the on hit effects when sonic attacks, takes off and hits springs, which currently look more like drawn effects than traditional game effects. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's clean, appealing and it reads well- something which unleashed and generations often didn't do as their visual styles tended to look cluttered and messy depending on the stage. Just cuz you can put something there, or have a certain effect doesn't mean you should

When did Unleashed and Generations start to look cluttered and messy? I swear, not two years ago, that everyone said that Generations looked beautiful? Aside from the occasionally heavy-handed bloom lighting, I don't recall their being anything wrong with the visuals. Its not like it was so incomprehensible that you couldn't tell background from foreground.

The biggest visual differences, are the now very flat textures that are being used (among other missing visual effects) and the fact that the stage is no longer a part of the landscape, bur rather suspended above it, and totally isolated from it. The latter part, for me, is what makes it look far too similar to Galaxy and 3D Land for my liking.

It looks nice. I'm not saying it doesn't, because that would be lying. Its not even about the type of textures used. Its more about the setting and the fact that is so massively segregated from the landscape. Maybe its OK for this game, which is unlike any other Sonic game thus far, but I certainly wouldn't want a similar structure used for all Sonic games , in every level, from now on.

They can keep the really stylistic simple textures and art style, if they want, as long as it can be applied to environments similar in physical appearance and scale as Unleashed and Generations, because it would look fucking fantastic if they did.

Do you know what I mean?

Cause I get the impression that sometimes people don't....

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 4

28012soniclostworld3dstoprgbv22jpg-50e22

28014soniclostworld3dstoprgbv24jpg-30b20

One thing I've noticed (because only the 3DS screenshots have a timer) these levels seem to be really long, I'd expect them to average around 4-5 minutes, but these are clocking in at 7-8...

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I've noticed (because only the 3DS screenshots have a timer) these levels seem to be really long, I'd expect them to average around 4-5 minutes, but these are clocking in at 7-8...

It's probably just the player fooling around in the stages.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's probably just the player fooling around in the stages.

Which implies the stages are much more explorable and won't have Sonic running toward the goal all the time really.

Which implies the stages are much more explorable and won't have Sonic running toward the goal all the time really.

Please don't read into it that much. This was one of the officially released screenshots of Unleashed:

swa1005_shamar30-640x.jpg

The screenshots will be taken at time when developers are testing and debugging, not during actual playthroughs (hence the impossible camera angles). The timer doesn't mean anything.

• Thumbs Up 3

When did Unleashed and Generations start to look cluttered and messy? I swear, not two years ago, that everyone said that Generations looked beautiful? Aside from the occasionally heavy-handed bloom lighting, I don't recall their being anything wrong with the visuals. Its not like it was so incomprehensible that you couldn't tell background from foreground.

The biggest visual differences, are the now very flat textures that are being used (among other missing visual effects) and the fact that the stage is no longer a part of the landscape, bur rather suspended above it, and totally isolated from it. The latter part, for me, is what makes it look far too similar to Galaxy and 3D Land for my liking.

It looks nice. I'm not saying it doesn't, because that would be lying. Its not even about the type of textures used. Its more about the setting and the fact that is so massively segregated from the landscape. Maybe its OK for this game, which is unlike any other Sonic game thus far, but I certainly wouldn't want a similar structure used for all Sonic games , in every level, from now on.

They can keep the really stylistic simple textures and art style, if they want, as long as it can be applied to environments similar in physical appearance and scale as Unleashed and Generations, because it would look fucking fantastic if they did.

Totally agree. I get that the whole suspended level thing is obviously intended, but it just feels a bit like the sort of thing that was being done with 3D platformers before grand-scale levels, as seen in Generations, were possible on the current hardware. (eg; Sonic Xtreme etc.)

The point being that it just looks a bit too simple, a bit too floaty and disconnected from the world below, and oddly so. As I've said in a previous post, we are well beyond the bottomless pit scrolling background shindig; kinda expect fully grown setpieces in the background from now on.

This isn't saying design is bad (although i'm still rather unimpressed with the graphics so far; aren't they meant to be better than Generations) - I like it. The simplistic, cartoony, open design makes it more accesible and less cluttered or confusing. But there's just something that annoys me about the constant floating platforms - it's just so Galaxy.

Edited by Wordy

Does that mean that:

1-DIMPS Learned the lesson?

2-DIMPS Learned where the back exit was?

Leaning towards number 2

Leaning towards number 2

This bring up a point though, if it is number 2, who'd develop the 3DS version?

Hopefully Sonic Colors dev team or Prope

Sonic Team?

I dunno it might be one of the branches, considering this is an exclusive, so they wouldn't need to work on two at once (colours and gens)

Hopefully Sonic Colors dev team or Prope

Wasn't Colours DS developed by DIMPS too? And who is Prope?

Edited by TripsS3