Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

I think Heroes on the GameCube did run at 60.

Same goes for...Adventure DX (GC/online market services), I think Shadow on the GC ran at 60 too, but yeah, many Sonic games run on 30 FPS which is a shame as the games that do run on 60 benefit so much from that.

What did Heroes and Shadow run at on the PS2?

SA2 ran 60fps, and so did Heroes. SADX, 06, and UnleashedPS3 ran at 60fps too, but for both it was deadly inconsistent (meanwhile SA1DC ran 60 in only the Twinkle Circuit). None of the 3 current Sonics (besides the PS3 version of Unleashed) have run at that framerate though, which I think is the issue here.

Edited by Azookara

SA2 ran 60fps, and so did Heroes. Both SADX and 06 ran an 60fps too, but for both it was deadly inconsistent (meanwhile SA1DC ran 60 in only the Twinkle Circuit). None of the 3 current Sonics have run at that framerate though, which I think is the issue here.

Unleashed PS3 was supposed to. But it was worse than '06 in terms of stability so a good 90% of the time the framerate is fluctuating all over the place and ultimately looks worse than the 360 version capped at 30fps. I don't expect LW to run at 60fps, but if it does I'll be very, very pleased.

Edited by Blue Blood

Running at 60fps is far from an easy feat- go check out Unleashed PS3. That game is supposed to run at 60fps but does a horrible job of it, so a good 90% of the time the framerate is fluctuating all over the place and ultimately looks worse than the 360 version capped at 30fps. I don't expect LW to run at 60fps, but if it does I'll be very, very pleased. 

Oh please. Both HD versions of Unleashed had problems with framerate. But having not played the PS3 version, when it is running at 60FPS is it that much smoother?

Oh please. Both HD versions of Unleashed had problems with framerate. But having not played the PS3 version, when it is running at 60FPS is it that much smoother?

Oh yeah. I think it was Cool Edge Day which ran closest to a consistent 60fps, and my goodness did it look astonishing. Silky smooth.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah. I think it was Cool Edge Day which ran closest to a consistent 60fps, and my goodness did it look astonishing. Silky smooth.

Crashed and burned at Jungle Joyride Day?

Oh please stop with the attitude.

I didn't say the 360 version looked good. It just looked better because it remained at a somewhat steady 30fps much of the time. That's not to say it didn't plummet to 15fps and below a lot of the time either. But the problem with Unleashed PS3 is that it's never consistent. Very few parts are able to run at the 60fps it's supposed to, so you end up with a very staggered and inconsistent experience. A capped 30fps is better than an out of control 60fps any day of the week. 

When Unleashed PS3 is running at 60fps (great area to test it is around the goal ring of Windmill Isle 2 and much of Cool Edge 1) it's gorgeous. Just like Generations on PC the doubled framerate makes a huge difference. The inconsistency absolutely ruins it though.

Edited by Blue Blood

I personally don't have a PS3, but just look at Generations: the difference between the console versions and the PC version is jaw dropping. And Gens is not even as graphically detailed as Unleashed...

(I'd also take stable 30 FPS over unstable 60 FPS though)

Edited by WolfI

Cool Edge Day was amazing in Unleashed PS3.

Anyways, Lost World.

I think we really need to give the 3DS version more attention now, they finally went into 3D.

It's like End of the World, where people were scared a year before 2012 and then when it was the presumed day, nobody cared.

They finally delivered but people aren't as excited as I expect to be.

It'd be nice if Dimps was really going for 90% its own thing with only similar story and level tropes... and music.

Chugged something fierce, which is a shame because that stage was Gorgeous.

I still think it was one of the best stages in the series, if it weren't for the framerate dragging it down.

Oh please stop with the attitude.

I didn't say the 360 version looked good. It just looked better because it remained at a somewhat steady 30fps much of the time. That's not to say it didn't plummet to 15fps and below a lot of the time either. But the problem with Unleashed PS3 is that it's never consistent. Very few parts are able to run at the 60fps it's supposed to, so you end up with a very staggered and inconsistent experience. A capped 30fps is better than an out of control 60fps any day of the week. 

When Unleashed PS3 is running at 60fps (great area to test it is around the goal ring of Windmill Isle 2 and much of Cool Edge 1) it's gorgeous. Just like Generations on PC the doubled framerate makes a huge difference. The inconsistency absolutely ruins it though.

How often did it run at 60FPS?

Cool Edge Day was amazing in Unleashed PS3.

Anyways, Lost World.

I think we really need to give the 3DS version more attention now, they finally went into 3D.

It's like End of the World, where people were scared a year before 2012 and then when it was the presumed day, nobody cared.

They finally delivered but people aren't as excited as I expect to be.

It'd be nice if Dimps was really going for 90% its own thing with only similar story and level tropes... and music.

I'm really excited for the 3DS version now, seems like a great time waster as I'm not ready to get another console yet (Wii U, or any of its future competitors). Personally I hope it would be as similar to the console version as possible, at least when it comes to level designs and controls, cause I'm generally not quite happy with Dimps' level design choices when they work independently. Honestly, I kinda hope Sonic Team develops it rather than Dimps, but the odds are against me on that one.

Otherwise, as far as bosses/art directions/story etc. go, it can be a completely different game for all I care.

• Thumbs Up 1

How often did it run at 60FPS?

Not very. But it was always trying to. So one second it would be 30, then 60, then 30 again, dips down to 15, back up to 60, and then 30 again. Comparatively on 360 it would be 30 for a while, then down to 15 and then 30 again for a while longer. That's very simplified, but if you were to see it for yourself you would notice that the inconsistency actually makes the game look much worse.

I'm really excited for the 3DS version now, seems like a great time waster as I'm not ready to get another console yet (Wii U, or any of its future competitors). Personally I hope it would be as similar to the console version as possible, at least when it comes to level designs and controls, cause I'm generally not quite happy with Dimps' level design choices when they work independently. Honestly, I kinda hope Sonic Team develops it rather than Dimps, but the odds are against me on that one.

Otherwise, as far as bosses/art directions/story etc. go, it can be a completely different game for all I care.

Yeah, but they seem to be doing worse when they try to imitate Sonic Team.

I hope that they are given full freedom and do something as good as Advance.

Not very. But it was always trying to. So one second it would be 30, then 60, then 30 again, dips down to 15, back up to 60, and then 30 again. Comparatively on 360 it would be 30 for a while, then down to 15 and then 30 again for a while longer. That's very simplified, but if you were to see it for yourself you would notice that the inconsistency actually makes the game look much worse.

Quick YouTube search and yeah, between constantly flip-flopping between framerates, it did look really smooth. On a side note, the PS2/Wii versions didn't have a problem with framerates, did they?

Dropped to 5 frames per second at some points. May as well have been watching a powerpoint presentation.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Quick YouTube search and yeah, between constantly flip-flopping between framerates, it did look really smooth. On a side note, the PS2/Wii versions didn't have a problem with framerates, did they?

Nope. But again they were 30. 30fps is pretty much the industry standard. 60fps is always touted as a luxury and is commonly cited as one of the main main reasons that PC versions of most games are superior.

Yeah, but they seem to be doing worse when they try to imitate Sonic Team.

I hope that they are given full freedom and do something as good as Advance.

Advance was done years ago and I believe it was a collaborative effort with Sonic Team. But still, if Dimps of 2013 can somehow pull off anything similar to that game, more power to them and I wish they would. The problem is that the way I see independent efforts of current-day Dimps is much closer to Rush, Rush Adventure, and Sonic 4 rather than the Advance series (which I absolutely love).

Advance was done years ago and I believe it was a collaborative effort with Sonic Team. But still, if Dimps of 2013 can somehow pull off anything similar to that game, more power to them and I wish they would. The problem is that the way I see independent efforts of current-day Dimps is much closer to Rush, Rush Adventure, and Sonic 4 rather than the Advance series (which I absolutely love).

Sonic 4 wasn't exactly an individual effort.

Sonic Advance was no more a collaborative effort than the Sonic Rush series either.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

So the entire game so far has featured rolling in some form as well as parkour.. and then I look at the concept art for the first stage to my fangame, World Runner.. (spoilered for size).

Cascade%20Grove%20level%20design%20piece

random%20CGZ%20sketchery.png

I had the idea of a slightly tetris-ized/blocky Green Hill Zone in the forest first, Sega! Stop stealing my ideas! :P

Its such a vague idea that its not surprising they did it, anyways. lol I just found it funny that they did both that and the mechanics like this. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I think people are confusing the lack of overly detailed textures, bloom and other some such effects as some kind of limitation of the wii u (which is bullshit, it outclasses current gen lolz) when it's really just artistic direction.

They're obviously going for a more cartoony/flat look with everything from the ground textures to the on hit effects when sonic attacks, takes off and hits springs, which currently look more like drawn effects than traditional game effects. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's clean, appealing and it reads well- something which unleashed and generations often didn't do as their visual styles tended to look cluttered and messy depending on the stage. Just cuz you can put something there, or have a certain effect doesn't mean you should

Well... It clearly has *a* texture- he's purple, his horns have stripes. It's just not an ultra detailed scaly one.

I mean the part of his mesh that's supposed to look like skin.  It's just flat purple with a phong shader.  It just looks unfinished.  Actually I say Phong shader but nothing in this whole game apart from particles seems to reach specularity so I don't know what type of shader they're using.  Apparently nothing in this smooth cartoon world is glossy.  It's like someone told Iizuka he used up all his specularity in Sonic Heroes and they can't use any more.    

Unleashed/Colors/Generations focused on making gorgeous backgrounds at the cost of making 90% of all visuals inaccessable and off in the distance. Lost World on the other hand seems to be going for the complete inverse from what we've seen so far: lack of focus on detailed backgrounds with more emphasis on interesting setpieces with which the player can directly interact. 

There's no difference in functional design to either side of your false dichotomy and the level of detail on what is there is way down so all this looks like to me is a cost saving measure.  I guess in a way they've based it a lot off to 2D visuales, down to there being no lighting to speak of.  They of course could have continued making large environments and make wide open levels out of them but I guess it was easier to make a high res Saturn game.  This looks like Sonic in Bug! World.  

Sure is a good thing SMG is widely-touted as one of the greatest games ever made and generally considered the best platformer of all time, because Sonic taking cues from shit like Devil May Cry and Halo weren't really getting him anywhere.

This doesn't look anywhere near as good as SMG. SMG actually has the high tech feature of specular mapping! (Gasp!)  It actually had 3D objects for puffs of smoke, and a shader that actually allowed for some kinda decent contrast.  This just looks amature.

I  have to go back to this image again:

28017soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

Those trees just look gross.  their shape is defined by polys clipping into each other!  

• Thumbs Up 2

Those trees look cute to me.

Meh.

I don't mind the cartoony approach, but these trees don't really do anything for me. I always saw the Sonic series as having a little more......geometry with the foliage..