Awoo.

S.L.W. Screenshots (P. 54) "Grammar Errors? This game is a sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse!?"

Badnik Mechanic

The trees instantly stuck out as unusual to me when the trailer rolled in. But we've had all manner of geometric and unrealistic palm trees, so why not conifers for a change?

This game definitely is out of the ordinary for the Sonic series. They normally have some sort of realistic basis in texturing, going right back to the classics. This though is the first time the series has completely done away with the realistic aspect. Textures are mainly flat, the clouds look like candy floss and the water is completely opaque blue. I really love this approach, but when people say it isn't Sonic-y they do have a fair point.

Yeah, I personally would have preferred the tress have leaves that are distinct objects, even if they were cartoony leaves. The water is OK, as long as its translucent and looks and behaves like water. But yeah, this game is unusual visually, compared to the norm in the Sonic Series.

I'm not sure about the water being translucent. 
28019soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

But it certainly flows and ripple the way it should. I'm curious about entering bodies of water in this game. 

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm not sure about the water being translucent. 

28019soniclostworldwiiuscreenshots720p12

But it certainly flows and ripple the way it should. I'm curious about entering bodies of water in this game. 

Speaking of water, I'm extremely excited to see how the water level will pan out...will we be able to FINALLY traverse Sonic underwater in 3D since Sonic Adventure?! Aquarium Park made water work for Sonic perfectly in 2D, but all I ask for is 3D underwater platforming Sanic Team!

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 5

GamersHell has four screenshots in a massive 2560 x 1440, They're not new, just big versions of existing ones. Spoilered for size:

742147full.jpg 
742145full.jpg
742143full.jpg
742141full.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood

Speaking of water, I'm extremely excited to see how the water level will pan out...will we be able to FINALLY traverse Sonic underwater in 3D since Sonic Adventure?! Aquarium Park made water work for Sonic perfectly in 2D, but all I ask for is 3D underwater platforming Sanic Team!

If we get water levels in Lost World they might also be in 3D as I'd imagine both versions will have the same areas (with different levels) and if they can make 3D underwater levels on 3DS they should be able to make them on a WiiU

I'm curious about entering bodies of water in this game. 

Sonic will probably drown again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IJbCyfpFc

• Thumbs Up 1

But yeah, this game is unusual visually, compared to the norm in the Sonic Series.

To be honest, I actually like that they're doing things different this time around. It shows, to me at least, that they're actually being serious with their claims of starting a new era for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, I actually like that they're doing things different this time around. It shows, to me at least, that they're actually being serious with their claims of starting a new era for Sonic.

Everyone has been saying this. I don't mind it personally, but so far, Wind Hill (or whatever its called) looks so bland and empty. The art style is nice, but its a little unpolished (could change by the time we reach release), and there's hardly anything there

On that note, why the fuck do we have yet another Green Hill? Why? We've had 3 Green Hill Zones in the last few games (if you count Gens 3DS as a seperate game, which I do), and its just annoying to see it yet again, here.

Edited by Scar

Everyone has been saying this. I don't mind it personally, but so far, Wind Hill (or whatever its called) looks so bland and empty. The art style is nice, but its a little unpolished (could change by the time we reach release), and there's hardly anything there

On that note, why the fuck do we have yet another Green Hill? Why? We've had 3 Green Hill Zones in the last few games (if you count Gens 3DS as a seperate game, which I do), and its just annoying to see it yet again, here.

I know Gens HD and 3D, but what's the third game? ohmy.png

Please don't say Sonic Jump. PLEASE.

Edited by Tracker

Sonic Dash! Wait, that was Seaside Hill.

Sonic 4.  

Sonic 4.  

Ah, I see. Fair does-to be fair though, Generations was friggin' obvious, it's a recollection of Sonic's most memorable moments sans anything from Sonic 3.

Sonic 4.  

In the event this is contested cause S4E1 pre-dates Colours, we've dealt with a lot of Green Hill and Seaside Hill in main and spin off games. It's just a lot of the same trope.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the event this is contested cause S4E1 pre-dates Colours, we've dealt with a lot of Green Hill and Seaside Hill in main and spin off games. It's just a lot of the same trope.

Yeah. I don't like it. You'd think that if they were going to "Start a new era" and have bothered to change the gameplay and visuals, they'd try creating a newer trope to begin with. Yet another Green Hill Zone, doesn't bode too well to be honest. Hopefully the rest of the stages are suitably original in design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of water levels, I think it would be awesome if they had a level where you could run through water-filled tubes, perhaps leading to the inside of a giant spheroid with multiple exits. It would kind of like the Classic tube systems, but obviously much larger and you'd be in full control.

it's looking a lot nice then generation for the 3DS, I might get this game for both the wiiU and the 3DS.

*Lots of stuff*

Wow. You are just looking for ways to not like this aren't you?:P I mean that's fine and all but...really? Tree Bashing?lol

Wow. You are just looking for ways to not like this aren't you?tongue.png I mean that's fine and all but...really? Tree Bashing?lol

I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised that this is the sort of reaction I get.  

• Thumbs Up 3

I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised that this is the sort of reaction I get.
If it makes you feel any better, I found some of your observations genuinely thoughtful. I'm not sure how I feel about certain aspects of this game's graphics either.

I'm a little perplexed by the new artstyle myself. I don't think it's bad at all, it's just that after seeing such an explosively colorful and delicious world out of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations that I'm a little disappointed that we aren't seeing more of the Hedgehog Engine in action. (It doesn't have to be the HE, anything that has the cool GI effect is fine with me) 

Maybe we'll have to wait and see though. It could end up being like the Wind Waker - shunned at first, but then loved for it's outside-the-box aesthetics. I mean, it certainly goes with the colorful aspect in the Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm a little perplexed by the new artstyle myself. I don't think it's bad at all, it's just that after seeing such an explosively colorful and delicious world out of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations that I'm a little disappointed that we aren't seeing more of the Hedgehog Engine in action. (It doesn't have to be the HE, anything that has the cool GI effect is fine with me) 

Maybe we'll have to wait and see though. It could end up being like the Wind Waker - shunned at first, but then loved for it's outside-the-box aesthetics. I mean, it certainly goes with the colorful aspect in the Sonic series.

We also have to take into account this is the FIRST STAGE. I'm gonna wait until we see at least two more worlds before I put my final judgment on the visuals.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it's not like the lighting and textures will change drastically from one level to another, will it? Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone are very different environments, but both have the same art style and 16-bit fidelity. I'm talking about the overall aesthetics, not the environment.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well what I mean by that is, I want to see what these visuals can do. A lava stage, a water stage, that food stage, I'm interested to see what they can do.

Aesthetics wise, Again I'm gonna wait until more is seen.

Edited by Gonard
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fair 'nuff. Like I said, I don't hate what we have here. I just anticipated more Hedgehog Engine visuals is all. :)

• Thumbs Up 4

It's possible we may see more intensive graphics in the later zones. I'd love to see how the ice and lava ones turn out.

• Thumbs Up 3