Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

You and me both. But at least some of these peeps are confirmed for the story. That's something, right?............ :3

We're going to be moving back to the incessant complaining about Knuckles not doing his job.

Not that I really care, mind you.

• Thumbs Up 3

Son of a bitch, that made me hyped. I am more glad than ever that Nintendo is doing that partnership with Best Buy to play E3 game demos outside E3.

I hope that GAME does something similar, because I really wanna try this out.

Do people still think the graphics look bad? I mean I don't notice much, but I wanna know what the consensus is.

Really wish the level design would look more like Generations. Still holding out for improvements over the next couple of months.

We're going to be moving back to the incessant complaining about Knuckles not doing his job.

For the record, I don't either. =P

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel a lot better about the stage tropes now too after hearing that Desert Ruins changes and stuff, first it has sweets and then it's more like a tunnel? This sounds far more interesting than NSMB's level tropes guys, I knew you all worried too much!

I'm actually quite happy about the fact that it's tube design.  It's a decent way to experiment, removing the constraints of organic/more 'normal' landscapes and having these abstract levels suspended in space.  Yes of course one of the things that was always cool about Sonic level design was that it created this sort of "world" but at the same time I personally too often felt restricted in exploring elements of that world.  Even in Generations, my favourite 3D game in the series so far, the exploration factor lost part of its meaning to me because of two main reasons:

1) I'd basically explored all of what the levels had to offer

2) Due to the fact that it's built around boost gameplay, the objective is always going fast and as a result I felt the main reason to explore was to find the fastest route, rather than genuinely explore and experiment and look for goodies

But with this kind of structure that doesn't seem to be an issue.  It looks like the kind of level that despite the fact that I can't run on that awesome looking ground below, this structure is so crazy and over the top in the way that it's constructed and the mechanics look like they could potentially work so well for allowing for a truly mobile, flowing and free Sonic that it won't matter.  It looks like the kind of level I could play over and over looking for slightly different ways to tackle it each time.  It's almost like a playground, but with a clear direction as well.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.  I'm just super excited XD

• Thumbs Up 1

The Deadly Six totally stole his emerald, it's cool.

I hope that when they say Sonic walks, he doesn't actually walk, and he can actually get up to a decent pace without the aid of the run or roll buttons.

I'm sure that when you push the stick all the way then he'll trot, and when you push it slightly he'll walk.

Wow. I didn't know people hated the Wisps that much. I liked all of their abilities and I thought that they added a lot to the gameplay in Colors, so I'm really happy to see them again. Everything else sounds amazing too. I'm already dying to see more of this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not even fussed about the lack of playable characters this time. The gameplay itself is simply so new and fresh, Sonic alone should be way more than enough! Future games better have 'em, but contrary to everything I've said in the past few months I will in fact let it slide this time.

• Thumbs Up 8

Really wish the level design would look more like Generations. Still holding out for improvements over the next couple of months.

As someone who enjoyed Generations level design for the most part, I don't.  I think it would potentially be a step back actually.

Wow. I didn't know people hated the Wisps that much. I liked all of their abilities and I thought that they added a lot to the gameplay in Colors, so I'm really happy to see them again. Everything else sounds amazing too. I'm already dying to see more of this game.

I don't, I really love that they are integrating the Wisps in this game, because not only does it give the game extra content/stuff to do, it could also potentially add more genuine variety in the gameplay as well as giving access to a bunch of secrets and what not. 

Adding a good thing from a different game isn't bad at all, can't wait to see how it plays out here.

• Thumbs Up 6

As someone who enjoyed Generations level design for the most part, I don't.  I think it would potentially be a step back actually.

How so? I hope that the exploration and platforming of Generations will be implemented into this new style (and from what the preview says it seems it will be). 

How so? I hope that the exploration and platforming of Generations will be implemented into this new style (and from what the preview says it seems it will be). 

Well okay there are elements of Generations' level design I'd like to see, such as the fact that each level has its own unique enemies and gimmicks to spice each level up.  But stuff like Generations' platforming looks a fair bit less engaging than what the platforming here looks like.

Looks way too much like Mario to me. These graphics feel plastic, whereas Generations felt organic.

As for the tubes...meh. 

I'm really trying not to complain about it with all the awesome gameplay news, but it's bothering me too much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

LET ME ENLIGHTEN YOU(playing Captain Obvious but oh well)

dTfcaik.jpg

The "walk" Mode

BqSInILh.png

The "Running" Mode

epyimbIh.png

The Boost Mode! I hope i am correct laugh.png  or embarassment levels rising :P

Edited by frokenok3

I'm not even fussed about the lack of playable characters this time. The gameplay itself is simply so new and fresh, Sonic alone should be way more than enough! Future games better have 'em, but contrary to everything I've said in the past few months I will in fact let it slide this time.

While I'm disappointed, you're right. This is so different and fresh and has a real genuine potential to evolve into a permanent future for the series.

If this gameplay style keeps evolving and people love it in future games, other playable characters are certain to be added to it eventually.

Wow, this was... kind of unexpected. From what I read in the preview I am extremely looking forward to playing this game. The look of exploration, collectables, and different routes are literally making me jumpy from joy. Though, there are a couple of things that worry me a bit. From what I've seen in the trailer, the gameplay looks like a cross between a sonic dash that you can stop in and Galaxy. Both are great games, but it just sort of looks... I don't know, off to me. Also, not really sure how I feel about this whole planetoid look. I realize that it's going to make for some amazing gameplay, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know it may just be me here, but I actually loved how the past few games had levels that felt connected with the world and not floating above it. These viewpoints of mine are definitely going to have to hold until we see a full level in action though. Though, overall, I am extremely happy with the way things are sounding.

Though, the thing that both excites me and worries me the most out of this preview is this little paragraph here:

The story itself is, as you’d expect, remarkably simple. Sonic is chasing his longtime foe, Eggman, and encounters a mysterious floating island known as “Lost Hex.” It’s here where Sonic will run across the “Deadly Six” that SEGA has already teased, and Iizuka noted these foes will bring a “sense of danger and humor” to the story.

"remarkably simple"... god, please don't let this be another generations. I'm really hoping for a story with a bit more going on than colors. I really hope the writers aren't just throwing in jokes everywhere. I know this series is cartoony at heart (especially looking at the trailer) and that many of you will disagree with me on this but it wouldn't hurt to actually attempt to tell a story with the amazing world you're making here. I'm not talking 06 shenanigans or anything but at least somewhere around unleashed. A story that does tell some pretty humorous jokes but can bring itself to advance the plot when needed. The inclusion of sonic's friends and the "Deadly SIx" gives me a small bit of hope as we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Though, judging by previous reveals, it might be a while before we see if they actually did learn their lesson from generations.

Wow, I really hate sounding negative right now. XD Again, I am very much looking forward to this. The inclusion of that parkour system (inb4 sonic parkour parody videos) is making it sound like their appealing to a variety of play styles. I really can't wait till E3 to learn more. Who knows, we might even get a main theme this time around (my iTunes has been itching for a new one for a while now XD).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, so far, things sound solid to me. I think it's interesting how Sonic just walks now unless you use a trigger to start him running. It's definitely a different way to approach the core gameplay, as it now seems Sonic can be slowed down on the dime when running at high speeds. This also puts an end to Sonic controlling like an asshat on ice-skates at lower speeds, like in Unleashed and Colors. I also like how the other trigger will control the spin dash, which can be used as sort of a boost. Kinda like the spin dash from Sonic Adventure 1? 

As for Sonic's "new moves" that were advertised in the trailer, initially, I wasn't impressed. What new moves? "Hey kids, check out Sonic Lost World! Take on brand new enemies with Sonic's cutting edge new ability to pull himself up from a ledge!  He can also run on walls, and do the homing attack, a classic ability triumphantly making its return after a 3-week absence!"

But the fact that these actions are going to be automatic, so long as the player holds the running trigger, seems like a smart way to keep the action moving fluently without having stop because they tripped over a rock, or something. Still, I hope the level design punishes players who use this system as a crutch. I also hope the drift and slide moves from the past 3 games return to further compliment this fluent gameplay. I just hope momentum plays a roll (tee-hee) in this equation, particularly in terms of the level designs, as it's currently all that's missing.

Speaking of which, I like how they're actually taking the widely complained about "island in the sky" level design and turning it into something interesting. I mean, you can't deny how wild the level in the trailer looked, especially considering the apparent lack of gravity. It's definitely something new for the franchise, and as long as it's well-executed I welcome it. 

Also, like Colors, it seems some levels will focus more on platforming and some will focus more on speed. I don't mind this, so long as we get some levels, like what we got in Generations, that meld the two smoothly. I don't mind some levels with almost nothing but face-melting speed, as well as other levels that take their time with careful platforming, but I don't think the solution for designing balanced levels is to always separate the two. Again, the levels themselves also seem to REALLY ignore gravity.. definitely a nod to the Mario Galaxy games, but I hope other previews recognize that this game is taking cues from the, ironically enough, lost Sonic X-Treme. I gotta say though, the 2D to 3D transitions do seem tighter than ever as well.

As for the aesthetics .. eh. So far, it sounds like we're getting Green Hill Zone Version 503,205 and a desert level with some food in it. Okay, cool, but I hope the other levels push the envelop a bit more. I'd love to get some in-between levels set in the borders of the lost world; maybe a burning jungle level akin to Angel Island, or how about a partially frozen desert? Stuff like that would really be cool, and make up for otherwise overused tropes. 

But yeah, overall I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. It looks really, really good, and I'm even liking the more cartoon-y, old-school art style the game is taking, the six Skylander ripoffs notwithstanding. All we need is a T-Rex voiced by Jeff Goldblum and we're good. 

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

There was some potential I saw with Generations Level Design, had the boost been absent.(mainly using Seaside hill and PW modern first part for my examples)Interaction with the world more I see as one of those "could haves".  I mean, I agree with you're first post that this allows for more Sega to experiment with this new gameplay. It takes away that problem of "THESE WORLDS LOOK AMAZING! WHY CAN'T I PLAY IN MORE OF IT?!" and just creates a game that can be good at what it's trying to do.

However I still wouldn't have mined if it had used some Generations level design. I don't think that would have made it worse.

Edited by Gonard

While I'm disappointed, you're right. This is so different and fresh and has a real genuine potential to evolve into a permanent future for the series.

If this gameplay style keeps evolving and people love it in future games, other playable characters are certain to be added to it eventually.

I have one problem though: How will they implement this style into a world that's not the Lost World and not SMG-like with it's gravity and twisting? 

Well okay there are elements of Generations' level design I'd like to see, such as the fact that each level has its own unique enemies and gimmicks to spice each level up.  But stuff like Generations' platforming looks a fair bit less engaging than what the platforming here looks like.

What platforming have we seen here anyway? It's been mostly Sonic running forward from the look of the trailer. 

the game looks really great and i like the level design also form what i read on the TSS ign preview article sonic gains speed so i guess no boosting that would be great way to get away from the whole boost thing

also alot of people for some reason were trying to compare it to super mario galaxy which kinda got me a little angry

I have one problem though: How will they implement this style into a world that's not the Lost World and not SMG-like with it's gravity and twisting? 

What platforming have we seen here anyway? It's been mostly Sonic running forward from the look of the trailer. 

Quite easily I imagine. It doesn't sound like it'll only work with twisting.

Especially if it's successful and well received, there's no way they'll drop it after just one game.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks way too much like Mario to me. These graphics feel plastic, whereas Generations felt organic.

As for the tubes...meh. 

I'm really trying not to complain about it with all the awesome gameplay news, but it's bothering me too much. 

You see, I don't have an issue with Mario Galaxy esque platforming, because that kind of platforming in itself is very unique and established.  You combine that with Sonic's way of moving you have something potentially really interesting.  Generations' platforming was a lot more generic, blocky and cumbersome by comparison.  Not as much as Colours' mind, but it's much less unique.

And honestly man there's nothing wrong with you expressing your opinions or concerns.  I merely disagree with them XD  But I respect them nonetheless.

Quite easily I imagine. It doesn't sound like it'll only work with twisting.

I suppose, but it might be less.................interesting without twisting. How would they make up for it?