Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

Funny thing I noticed.

Success seemed to elude Sonic Team repeatedly… until recently.

Okay seriously, how many times have you seen a variation of this sentence in the previews for Generations, Colors, and hell even fucking Unleashed? It's like whenever Sonic makes a new game the decent quality of the one before it is erased from memory and it's like Sonic 06 was the latest release or something, I mean jeez.

A variation of this sentence will pop up for the next Sonic game as well, mark my words.

• Thumbs Up 7

I've always been a fan of highway-in-the-sky syndrome. It's what I loved to most about Super Mario 3D Land. here. I love the pure simplicity in the style and the colours. Man, I just LOVE how this game looks.

I don't know if the IGN preview answered this but why are the Wisps back?  I'm not saying that's a bad thing as they made Colors awesome and open doors for multiple paths, but it seems weird that they are coming back for no reason

You know, the more I look at this game, the more excited I get. I'm really digging the how the gameplay looks and sounds, along with the designs for the levels and guardians. 

It's been quite a while, but the preview is kinda putting me in a very sonic-y mood... Which is probably was only thing I haven't been in for a while... ironically. 

I kind of am interested as to how the whole changing Sonic's speed thing will be implemented and hope its just as helpful as sonics boost (pretty sure it will) im generally excited for this game, hope it follows tradition and comes out November instead of January though (or any date later at that).

what really made me go "holy shit" was the fact that you could go anywhere you can see in the level, running on the walls and such, and every wall is full of springs, rings, paths etc...

Anybody else think that proper Special Stages will make a return in this game?

First, the design of the bosses and stupid child of Badniks design and levels, and now that only Sonic is the only playable character, you have no forgiveness SEGA.

First, the design of the bosses and stupid child of Badniks design and levels, and now that only Sonic is the only playable character, you have no forgiveness SEGA.

how dare they not waste time money and devs on making my favourite character playable even worst game ever

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 3

So a few people long for the days of boring mostly unplayable background linear track levels because they look pretty when your whizzing past them?

Gameplay above all else should be Sonic Team's mantra when making Sonic games.

The classic Sonic elements here are nice too and should be built upon.

Edited by Shawshank Redemption
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what the inherently good thing about these graphics are. They're a huge step down from the prior three games graphics. Ignore the art style. So they make it a bit more colorful, ok, I think that Generations, Unleashed, and Colors had it all a lot better, this one goes a bit too overboard on that. But ignore that. The graphics in general just don't look as good.

The beauty of the past few games was also the scenery. In here, we have a flat background again that doesn't look appealing at all, and the main graphics of the levels do not live up to the capabilities of the console. Its all a huge step back from the prior game (games, in fact; even Colors looked better) which had gorgeous visuals.

You're completely right here, and that's my first impression of the visuals, too. Colors, Unleashed HD, and Generations HD all had extremely impressive graphics with great colors, near-crisp textures, and layering of depth. Here, the graphics are extremely flat with very pixellated edges. We're in an era where handheld and home consoles can pull off very crisp graphics with great depth (with home consoles, they're definitely strong enough to pull off high-quality, crisp graphics), and these graphics are primitive.

So a few people long for the days of boring mostly unplayable background linear track levels because they look pretty when your whizzing past them?

Wrong. You can have great in-character gameplay, but objectively great quality graphics help create an atmosphere that enhance the gameplay experience. Gaming industries with an ounce of psychological common sense understand that you can put in everything but the kitchen sink in the gameplay, but without making the environment look interesting for the player to play in, then you hinder the player's experience and cause the overall production to suffer a hitch.

Graphics matter, and pixellated, flat graphics can really determine spending a good amount of money buying it or not.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

the level design is good but all else no

Graphics matter, and pixellated, flat graphics can really determine spending a good amount of money buying it or not.

It's a good thing that the graphics are more than sufficient to convince all but the pickiest pickers.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Wii U owners are obviously obsessed about graphics, why else did they buy the system in the first place?

I see absolutely nothing about this game's graphics that would make it a dealbreaker for the average consumer who already buys Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wii U owners are obviously obsessed about graphics, why else did they buy the system in the first place?

That's a joke right? Please tell me you're joking.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a joke right? Please tell me you're joking.

Don't worry, your joke detector is properly calibrated.

Edited by Shawshank Redemption
  • Thumbs Up 1

i agree. the graphics are extremely minimal. i hope they beef it up at least with some lighting/shadow effects

• Thumbs Up 1

I see absolutely nothing about this game's graphics that would make it a dealbreaker for the average consumer who already buys Sonic games.

Plus, considering the Nintendo audience and Sonic being most popular with the kids, this game's basically an open love letter in that department. Not to mention it is to the old Sonic fans like us anyway, seeing as it's trying to have a good old go with being a proper 3D sequel to the classic games, and looking like lovingly rendered sprites to boot.

Simplistic textures that give a cartoon feel in a franchise about a cartoon hedgehog fighting cartoon monsters instead of fucking realistic textures that bring the game to a shitty 30fps?

Worst game ever, 0/10

Post of the year, 10/10.

Simplistic textures that give a cartoon feel in a franchise about a cartoon hedgehog fighting cartoon monsters instead of fucking realistic textures that bring the game to a shitty 30fps?

Worst game ever, 0/10

Well said. cool.png