Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

Well this is certainly shaping up to be Sonic Teams most ambitious Sonic game yet isn't it? In truth it's really exciting. And I'm really glad the Wisps are making a return, and by that I mean returning in the way they were meant to, being used to reach alternate areas.

*Glares at Generations*

This looks amazing, but not enough for me to buy a WiiU yet.

I am kind of disappointed that the rumor posted a few months ago won't come true, I was looking forward to having other playable characters with Unleashed style gameplay, but honestly, I'll probably get over that quite fast.

I'd like to see some other levels of the game though.

Fingers crossed for the 3DS version not being half-assed like Generations 3DS and Unleashed Wii.

As for the discussion on graphics, it looks like they're using the hedgehog engine again. It's just harder to tell because of the level design.

Sonic's now got moves like Ezio, Ezio and Sonic have the same voice actor, clearly this means something. Something important, something that could change the very face of video games FOREVER!!!

Or it could more likely mean fucking nothing.

Edited by Balding Spider

While I do admit I had a thing for the old "realism" style of recent game environments... I gotta say, I LOVE the consistency this time around.

That was one of the big issues I had with recent games like Unleashed and Generations. Even though they played well, it was very weird being thrown into a realistic themed world, and have it be completely unrealistic in design. (loops in a city, floating platforms in the suburbs?)

But THIS time around, the worlds fit with the design, and I can easily see myself getting more emersed in a world that consistently makes sense, especially since you'r running around as a blue hedgehog, and it's just more "natural" (for a lack of better word) seeing him in a cartoon world. 

I'm pumped... I just hope it's more than tubes. I hope they give us plenty of flat surfaces to explore.

I am stroked. I've been going on Twitter about this.

They added parkour. It's all I've been asking. Finally.

I seriously need this and a Wii U. I doubt the 3DS version being as impressive but it'll be pretty damn great, pretty sure.

Dio is actually hyped, GOTY/GOTFranchise confirmed.

It's a good thing that the graphics are more than sufficient to convince all but the pickiest pickers.

I can't say that at all. Even by handheld standards, the graphics aren't up to snuff. With the exception of Episode 1's glassy grass in Splash Hill, previous Sonic games games provided great atmospheres that help immerse the consumer in, get them pumped up, and make people believe that they take their games seriously. The graphics in Lost World:

1. Are very flat with little variation of depth. The lighting, midtones, and shadows have very little organic blending.
  2. Contain high pixellation of the foreground in several spots.
  3. Blend both the fore and backgrounds a bit too much. A little lighter background will make the foreground pop so much better in very key spots where there's a lot of green.

We're now in an era where everything about the gaming industry can, is, and should be judged: gameplay, story (if applicable), presentation, music, and graphics to name a few. The latter especially has evolved because games aren't just games anymore and how low-bit graphics can be shoved in as throwaways. It isn't a "one-thing-matters-most" era from back in the 1990s and before. Today, newer technology and more advanced consoles — home and handheld — have the ability to present and impress their games to consumers. Great graphics deliver not just an important part of the presentation, but also a good first impression to us as consumers. Visuals are important, even by a trailer's standards, because they hook people in. A great hook equals getting more people anticipated for the product. Today, graphics clue audiences in that the developers not only take proper care of the visuals, but everything else, too. Story, characterization, atmospheric characterization, gameplay, replayability, presentation, bonus material, music, art direction, etc. Great visuals — and high-quality graphic design in general — hint high overall standards from the people working on the product, not just one thing.

And that's the key area where Lost World's first trailer fails to do. The second you release that trailer, you're requesting the average consumer to judge everything about the game as you see already; the gameplay, art direction, and graphics deliver enough to impress. The gameplay is extremely unique and fresh for the Sonic-'verse, combining the Classics, main Adventure gameplay, and even Modern Era from Unleashed HD onwards into one unique hybrid while adding new layout design to freshen the eventual experience. The art direction, meanwhile, brings back the fantasy genre that we've seen captured in the last three home console Modern games, specifically Colors Wii and Generations HD. But Sonic Team (and Dimps, if they're involved, too) needs to improve the quality of the visuals to make the overall presentation and graphic design genuinely good. The last thing ST needs is to insult their own art direction and have some people get their experience and/or impression dulled because the quality of the graphics don't meet current console-generation standards.

The first trailer does an okay to decent job to impress, but the next trailers need to step up their game and make their overall package look more up to current gaming standards.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2

the level design is good but all else no

...Is that...not the most important thing?

These complaints about the visual style are getting ridiculous. And like I've been saying, it's a brand new style of gameplay. Can't we just let them focus on one character at the moment?

butt srsly

tumblr_inline_mlxv0fIYR31qz4rgp.gif

i am so freaking hyped this is going to be the best sonic game ever

EVER

I STILL CAN'T GET OVER THE WISPS PEOPLE

THIS GAME HAS WISPS

DO YOU HEAR ME

FREAKING

W I S P S

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHFFFFFKFASOIRWHEOIJEWAIJOIDSAJFDOJSAO

but aaaaas for everything else

*ahem*

Yes.

From the sound of things, this game has everything I could ever want out of a Sonic game. Personality, charm, beauty, innovation, exploration, parkour - freaking parkour - and a new control scheme that could very well improve the flow of everything. To be fair, that is the thing I'm most cautious about at the moment, since there is the potential issue of it being cramp-inducing, but considering the nature of the Wii U game pad, it'll probably work just fine.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the 3DS version will turn out. The fact that it uses the same gameplay style of the U version certainly shows that they're putting a lot more effort into it. In fact...we don't even know if Dimps is developing it yet...

...God, I hope not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you sure that there are actual wisps? For what I read it said something like "power ups similar to the wisps"

I never knew some people disliked the Wisps so much. I actually liked them (sans Sonic Generations) due to changing up the gameplay and adding more replayability. The fact that you can unlock Wisps and use them in stages after doing so is a really cool in extending the amount of time playing. The amount of paths that increase due to the use of these Wisps and where you use them is excellent also.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, we saw Wisps in the trailer, the IGN preview specifically mentioned Wisp Powers, and there are Lazer Crystals in the level.

im gonna miss the boost gameplay

Its still there 8p

79I1VEZ.jpg

graphics look good bro, take a look at that sweet soft ambient occlusion in the platforms on the right.

Anybody else think that proper Special Stages will make a return in this game?

It would certainly fit the style of the game!

The only thing that bugs me is that some textures look too simple, either due to being beta or to help the game run smoother than the usual. Super Mario Galaxy featured quite a lot of shaders and it was a Wii game, and this game seems to use the Hedgehog engine on the Wii U and shows obvious neat shaders for Sonic as well as some for the Badniks.

So, if SMG can do it, why can't the walls or logs of Green Hill Galaxy here have a bump map? Definitely not a deal breaker, just a small kind of touch I hope they add while keeping the newer style they're going for.

That and I hope for one or two less sky-bound acts. To bring up Super Mario Galaxy again there were a hand full of Super Mario 64-ish levels, it'd be nice to have a few wider acts along with the kind of sky tube spiral thing to see how the new gameplay feels in that environment while generally keeping the style otherwise.

The only thing that bugs me is that some textures look too simple,

ML58fuWh.jpg

I kind of like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I STILL CAN'T GET OVER THE WISPS PEOPLE

THIS GAME HAS WISPS

DO YOU HEAR ME

FREAKING

W I S P S

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHFFFFFKFASOIRWHEOIJEWAIJOIDSAJFDOJSAO

....Mmmmmmmmmm no? XD There aren't wisps in the game, they said wisp-LIKE powers to trigger to help get to other areas, etc.

WISP themselves wont be in the game.

79I1VEZ.jpg

graphics look good bro, take a look at that sweet soft ambient occlusion in the platforms on the right.

Whoa, is that the 3DS version? Shit looks really good.

I can't say that at all.

wc4VPtH.jpg

If this isn't good enough, your standards are too high.

Are you sure that there are actual wisps? For what I read it said something like "power ups similar to the wisps"

The IGN preview says, and I quote, "various Whisp-based “Color Powers”"
  • Thumbs Up 2

The grass totally looks like something from Viva Pinata.

Is that a good thing... ? unsure.png

If this isn't good enough, your standards are too high.

And that was the first time Diogenes ever uttered that phrase about anything Sonic-related.

If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is.

• Thumbs Up 5

That loop...that tube. THAT LOOP AND TUBE. It's freakin' fantastic, it's like a tube track ripped straight from F-Zero.

The whole graphics debate reminds me of the complaints toward Skyward Sword and Wind Waker.