Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

And that was the first time Diogenes ever uttered that phrase about anything Sonic-related.

If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is.

Well I've never really been bothered by graphics unless a game is straight up ugly (ShtH, '06).
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is that a good thing... ? unsure.png

I'd say it probably is, as it looks quite nice.

Plus, if they want to bring the Chao Garden back, perhaps heavily featuring Sonic's animal pals, it'd make that whole thing look great too.

....Mmmmmmmmmm no? XD There aren't wisps in the game, they said wisp-LIKE powers to trigger to help get to other areas, etc.

WISP themselves wont be in the game.

They're in the trailer.

Newsflash: Just because we're currently in an era of games with terribly high budgets dedicated to making the games with mocap and shit, doesn't mean every game on the market has to look like goddamn Uncharted.

It's called a different graphical style. Sonic is first and foremost, a cartoon character. He meshes better with cartoony visuals,and always has.

Just had to stop here because this line of arguing you're following, Solkia, is actually getting me a bit pissed off. Nothing wrong with this game's visuals, but "basic backgrounds" is not something exclusively cartoony.

frog001.jpg

4165710190_5efe04e042.jpg

img_3031_2.jpg

The backgrounds don't look bad. But their lack of detail is not instantly justified by "lel it's a cartoon".

Edited by Captain Harlock

I'd die if they brought back GCN/GBA Chao Garden functionality in the form of Wii U and 3DS. The amount of content they could do with the touch screen based gameplay can bring fresh FUN ideas to the Chao Garden.

Just kidding, Chao Garden sucks right guys?

(I'm wondering about the COOP gameplay IGN brought up..)

Whoa, is that the 3DS version? Shit looks really good.

It seemed to be the pic used for the 3DS mockup but that's the Wii U version.

ML58fuWh.jpg

I kind of like it.

In the classic GHZ nod bit something about the walls feels simple. Yet this shot uses the same texture in the distance and looks far far better? I'm confused why I'm thinking that way, there's chunks of solid colors even but it looks nicer, though I swear I see some sort of normal map on the squares, that's the kinda thing I'm talking about really. I also like the screenshots that show that grass effect on grass that's close to the screen.

Also, are those two trails coming from Sonic's hands specifically? He isn't doing the Peel-Out animation, I wonder if we could figure out which animation applies to what situation if we checked closer, if it could represent one of the speed "gears" or perhaps a preparation for the parkour moves.

On the subject of graphics, I once again want to remind people that "cartoony" is, in itself, a really broad qualifier for an art style, and that it doesn't mean completely ignoring elements pertaining to realism such as color inheritance or ambient lighting. The way the Modern games looked before, especially Unleashed, pertained to the series just as well as Lost World's does. And while I'm enjoying the stylized effects a whole bunch (like that comic-looking "pop" effect in that screen Dio posted <3), I do miss the absolute richness in lighting we got in the Modern era. It's just preference. *shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 4

They're in the trailer.

....Where? o___O I didn't see any wisps.. and why would they also say "wisp-BASED powers" and not just flat out say wisps, if they were in the trailer?

Watched the trailer again, paused for every new scene and frame. Still no wisps...

I still say there's no wisps in this game. And no evidence for it, unless someone would be so kindly to print screen an image from the trailer. Cause Im not seeing it.

You can see this while Sonic's wallrunning:

eNUm819.png

It's not an actual wisp (e: maybe? too small and blurry to tell), but it is apparently a laser wisp item box.

Edited by Diogenes

Every time I think I'm done being really hyped for a new game beyond a normal "oh that's pretty cool" level and think I've seen it all, they drag me back in.

Remember people, this is what all that "suffering" through all of 2012 was for.

This is why longer dev times are a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can see this while Sonic's wallrunning:

eNUm819.png

It's not an actual wisp (e: maybe? too small and blurry to tell), but it is apparently a laser wisp item box.

Laaaaaaaaammmeee..... well at least they don't seem to be significant. I'm alright with this since it doesnt seem to be a necessity. They said they're mainly used to get to certain areas, so that's fine. I just hated when you HAD to use them in colors to get past an area. I preferred just running through as sonic.

I don't think it's an actual wisp, but rather just an icon for the power up. Like they said, it has wisp "based" powers. I think it might just be an icon for a similar colors power you can use. But I dont think wisps will actually play a significant role in this game.

Edited by chirf

Like they said, it has wisp "based" powers.

That is a perfectly reasonable way to say that they are powers gained through Wisps.

I'm really not sure why you're so desperate to not have Wisps around.

• Thumbs Up 1

First line of dialogue in the first cutscene "Hey Tails, any idea why Yacker contacted us and said to fly out into the middle of nowhere?" Rofl

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a perfectly reasonable way to say that they are powers gained through Wisps.

I'm really not sure why you're so desperate to not have Wisps around.

It's not that I'm desperate to not have wisps around, even though I'd prefer they not be there, it's just the simple fact that they clearly said wisp-LIKE powers, and didnt even say wisps were in the game. 

The exact words were, in fact...

" the GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas."

It's pretty clear that they aren't as significant as they were in Colors. In Sonic Colors, you HAD to use them to get through specific parts of a level. This time they're specifically implying that it's optional, and mainly for side paths and etc. 

Edited by chirf

This is why longer dev times are a good thing.

I dunno if it really was a longer dev time so much as they're more secretive than usual with information. We usually get leaks or teasers much sooner than May and June. But being thirsty makes water all the more delicious. ;)

First line of dialogue in the first cutscene "Hey Tails, any idea why Yacker contacted us and said to fly out into the middle of nowhere?" Rofl

I'm actually really, really looking forward to how they Ass Pull why the Wisps are back.

I really hope there's something of a nod to Colors, because otherwise it'd just be weird.

If anything, the wisps come across as shields or speed up powers, like in the adventure games. Having NO relevance to the story at all, and just served as optional gameplay mechanics. 

I've glimped at the article but is Iizuka producing both versions of the game?

It's not that I'm desperate to not have wisps around, even though I'd prefer they not be there, it's just the simple fact that they clearly said wisp-LIKE powers, and didnt even say wisps were in the game. 

The exact words were, in fact...

" the GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas."

It's pretty clear that they aren't as significant as they were in Colors. In Sonic Colors, you HAD to use them to get through specific parts of a level. This time they're specifically implying that it's optional, and mainly for side paths and etc. 

First off, the fact they even misspelled Wisp should indicate not to take them too literally.

Second, Wisp-based powers, as in, the powers Sonic gets from Wisps. If a car is driven by a steam engine, you say it's a steam-based engine.

Third, Colours HAD the wisps as entirely optional. That was a main point they made sure of. Now, whether the game was any fun if you didn't use them is something else entirely.

I'm actually really, really looking forward to how they Ass Pull why the Wisps are back.

I really hope there's something of a nod to Colors, because otherwise it'd just be weird.

I imagine if they do bring them back in some way they will have to explain it. It does in a way resemble a kind of spiritual successor to both X-Treme and Colours.

I'm wondering how they "ass-pull" Amy and Knuckles into it lol

First off, the fact they even misspelled Wisp should indicate not to take them too literally.

Second, Wisp-based powers, as in, the powers Sonic gets from Wisps. If a car is driven by a steam engine, you say it's a steam-based engine.

Third, Colours HAD the wisps as entirely optional. That was a main point they made sure of. Now, whether the game was any fun if you didn't use them is something else entirely.

First off, wisps weren't entirely optional. There were parts in the game that you had to use them to get through areas.

Secondly, my point isn't that they aren't in the game PERIOD, my point is that they don't come across as significant to the story.

Like I already said, they share more similarities to irrelevant power ups than anything to do with the story. The fact that the game looks entirely cartoony and arcadey makes it perfect for the addition of things that have NO relevance to the story (such as shiels that attract rings or make sonic bounce, like in older games). So if anyone expects cameos of wisps or any story relevance at all, I wouldn't get too invested in that. Because they come off as JUST power ups, that are completely optional, and not required to get through main parts/fastest/best paths like in sonic colors.

Long story short, if you expect wisps to be significant in any way, other than completely irrelevant power ups like SHIELDS or speed ups, you will probably be disappointed.

I obviously can't deny the existence of them as a power up, as I can clearly see them in the video now. 

Edited by chirf

For the record: The Wisps are not 100% optional in Colors, despite being told otherwise. We determined this in the SU vs. SC thread just with simple pressing. Ultimately, it doesn't make me confident that they'll be 100% optional here either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno if it really was a longer dev time so much as they're more secretive than usual with information. We usually get leaks or teasers much sooner than May and June. But being thirsty makes water all the more delicious. wink.png

Well there are partnering with Nintendo (aka the brick wall when it comes to finding info)

For the record: The Wisps are not 100% optional in Colors, despite being told otherwise. We determined this in the SU vs. SC thread just with simple pressing. Ultimately, it doesn't make me confident that they'll be 100% optional here either.

If you play as Supersonic, every level that requires Wisps to be beaten (small selection of levels) will be modified to be fully playable without them. Most levels do not force Wisps, so I sense the same case here. Most of the times they were forced were those Acts that had them being the main gimmicks (Use Spikes to get across these spikes, use purple to destroy as many blocks as possible, etc).

• Thumbs Up 1

Right. The main thing that supports them being more optional in Sonic Lost World is from their earlier statement, and that the game is based on new gameplay entirely. I doubt they'd put such focus on color elements when they have this new gameplay to mess around with.

But on a slightly different note, I do like that they focus on side paths and areas to explore, regardless of whether you need a wisp to get there. I just hope most of the exploration areas are flat, and not just tubes and completely outlandish areas XD 

I'm wondering how they "ass-pull" Amy and Knuckles into it lol

I for one hope they don't "ass-pull" them into this game, actually. That's partly why some of the characters haven't been doing well, since they just throw them into the game and either don't do anything with them or they don't know what to do with them when they're in and screw them up from there.

Speaking of which, don't entirely hold your breath over their appearances and roles until you actually see them. They've been on and off about their appearances, as they said Shadow and Knuckles would be in Unleashed and yet they were no where to be seen and everyone else were absent until Generations brought them in as cheerleaders. If they're gonna keep doing that, I'd rather they stop.

But as far as the gameplay? Looks exactly how many of us imagined. Yeah, it definitely does seem like they've been on our forums, and if that's the case then I don't think there's too much to worry about.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

If you play as Supersonic, every level that requires Wisps to be beaten (small selection of levels) will be modified to be fully playable without them. Most levels do not force Wisps, so I sense the same case here. Most of the times they were forced were those Acts that had them being the main gimmicks (Use Spikes to get across these spikes, use purple to destroy as many blocks as possible, etc).

You can't play Colors with Super Sonic unlocked at the outset, so the fact that he makes the Wisps optional is fairly refutable, as well as the fact that they're forced only some of the time. 10% of forcing still means the "100% optional" claim of them flies right out the window.

And again, this wouldn't even be a sticking point with me if I were confident that these powers in question would be far more developed. xP