Awoo.

Safari 4 BETA

Fleetsy

I have to say, it's a big improvement to Windows users since the last version. The new tab browsing system is easier to use than the original 'Ctrl+T' system. It looks a lot more suited to Windows instead of a piece of software for a Mac OS ported over. Overall, even though it's in it's beta stages, I'm really taking a shine to it. :)

Screenshot:

safscreen.png

So what do you think?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• Kevin

• Mollfie

• CtW

I think it looks stupid on XP. haha.

It's basically still Safari, only they jacked a heap of ideas from Google Chrome. Tsk, tsk Apple.

I haven't tried it out since I'm more of a Firefox man, m'self, but it looks kind of ugly and a lot more-- for lack of a better word-- "clunky" from the screenshots of it I've seen when compared to the much sleeker looking previous iterations of Safari.

I think it looks stupid on XP. haha.

It's basically still Safari, only they jacked a heap of ideas from Google Chrome. Tsk, tsk Apple.

Yeah the two icons to the right are basically just Chrome's layout.

I haven't tried it out since I'm more of a Firefox man, m'self, but it looks kind of ugly and a lot more-- for lack of a better word-- "clunky" from the screenshots of it I've seen when compared to the much sleeker looking previous iterations of Safari.

Aren't we all? ^_^

I like the way it's suited to the OS the user is running though, and it's still in Beta.

I think it looks really clunky, but then I've always liked Firefox better. Seeing as it's a beta it might change though.

That's... actually the browser I'm using right now.

It's a lot better on a Mac, since, well, that's what it was developed for.

Internet Explorer doesn't bother making a Mac version anymore 'cuz they know Safari is better, and is useable on Windows.

Score two for Apple.

Aren't we all? ^_^

I like the way it's suited to the OS the user is running though, and it's still in Beta.

I kind of liked the old metallic look personally, but I do have to admit I'm liking the look of the tabs integrated into the title bar.

That's... actually the browser I'm using right now.

It's a lot better on a Mac, since, well, that's what it was developed for.

Internet Explorer doesn't bother making a Mac version anymore 'cuz they know Safari is better, and is useable on Windows.

Score two for Apple.

Internet Explorer is even going to be an optional feature in Windows 7, for that matter.

Safari looks good on Mac. For Windows? Especially where Safari 4's going? No. Firefox will be and always be my favorite browser. It just never lets me down. (Well---- it did once or twice now and again but still...)

I prefer it then any other browser. DX

EDIT: I wonder how Safari 4 looks like in Vista since I'm using it. DX

Edited by Spicylicious

I'm not a big fan of the interface. It just looks really clunky and poorly done. When I compared Safari running on both Mac and Windows, I came to the conclusion that it ran better on Mac much like Internet Explorer runs better on Windows.

Well it's still a beta, it may be improved when the final version comes out. D=

I'm sure it will look nicer once it's finished, if not then...well I probably wouldn't be using it anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the interface. It just looks really clunky and poorly done. When I compared Safari running on both Mac and Windows, I came to the conclusion that it ran better on Mac much like Internet Explorer runs better on Windows.

I agree with Kevin and the others who said it looks clunky on a windows PC. Being a Mac product it will look gorgeous on a Mac but not much else.

I like this whole idea of I.E. being deletable on the new Windows as well as other programs. This makes Eileanach a happy lass.

Mollfie let's start a hate club for I.E. it will be very popular. ;)

Seriously though perhaps as the BETA releases approach the official release things will look a lot less chunky and will look a lot nicer.

Edited by Eileanach

I like safari....just because the latest Mac version caused all the Macs in my college to crash and they still haven't fixed it.

But firefox still beats all other browsers hands down.

I just thought of something. In Windows 7, if you completely remove IE...and you like forgot to install another web browser.... =P

But still I wouldn't think Microsoft will be that daft, I think you have a option to reinstall Windows Internet Explorer from your computer.

Edited by Spicylicious

I just thought of something. In Windows 7, if you completely remove IE...and you like forgot to install another web browser.... =P

But still I wouldn't think Microsoft will be that draft, I think you have a option to reinstall Windows Internet Explorer from your computer.

That's right. Internet Explorer 8 is configurable in the Windows features installer, so you can untick it to remove, then tick it again to add it back in if you change your mind.

Personally, I'm not going to remove it as it's not really doing any harm. I use Firefox and always will, but I don't feel strongly enough about IE8 to physically remove it from my computer (especially as IE8 looks half-decent, not as good as Firefox, but half-decent).

That's right. Internet Explorer 8 is configurable in the Windows features installer, so you can untick it to remove, then tick it again to add it back in if you change your mind.

Personally, I'm not going to remove it as it's not really doing any harm. I use Firefox and always will, but I don't feel strongly enough about IE8 to physically remove it from my computer (especially as IE8 looks half-decent, not as good as Firefox, but half-decent).

Is IE 8 even >that< good? I heard it's very similar to IE7 in some ways. If not the same but added in one or two features. The look of IE8 is the exact copy of IE7. DX

Edited by Spicylicious

Is IE 8 even >that< good? I heard it's very similar to IE7 in some ways. If not the same but added in one or two features. The look of IE8 is the exact copy of IE7. DX

From experience, IE 8 is much better than IE 7. It open and closers faster, and the interface, especially the tabs isn't as clunky. It also supports crash recovery and private browsing mode. There's still some rendering issues, but that's not completely IE's fault. Websites need to update their code for rendering support.

Nontheless, I still recommend looking into an alternative browser such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc since IE is still very insecure, and it's interface in general is not that great in my opinion.

Getting back to Safari 4, since it's still in beta, obviously things can change between now and then, so I should hold off my full judgment until then. I just wished Apple would make their product work better on Windows.

Edited by Kevin

Getting back to Safari 4, since it's still in beta, obviously things can change between now and then, so I should hold off my full judgment until then. I just wished Apple would make their product work better on Windows.

I guess if they did that, there'd be no incentive to get a Mac :P

I can only assume this new design for Safari 4 BETA is revenge at Microsoft for making all their Mac software so shitty. That's the only explanation I can think of for that throwup of a windows design. o_O It really doesn't look nice to me at all.

I guess if they did that, there'd be no incentive to get a Mac :P

I can only assume this new design for Safari 4 BETA is revenge at Microsoft for making all their Mac software so shitty. That's the only explanation I can think of for that throwup of a windows design. o_O It really doesn't look nice to me at all.

Why didn't they leave Safari as an Apple-exclusive browser? There will be a chance Microsoft will make this one look crappy too. (And it already looks crap already, the current stable Safari look is better...)