Awoo.

A Hat in Time! 3D Collect-a-Thon platformer on Kickstarter!

Gabz Girl

Generally speaking I find cute things utterly repulsive, so whilst I might have been interested in a (somewhat) modernised collectathon experience, I already want to stab the protag in the face until she dies a horrible and painful death, which probably isn't healthy, so I don't think I'll bother with this one.

I'm not a big fan of the Female Protagonist For Cartoony Platformer cliche 

Yeah, I find those pretty irritating too. All two of them I've ever encountered.

Edited by Heinous Creature

From what I've seen, there ARE a lot of cartoony indie platformers with cute female protagonists. However, I don't see a problem with that. Hat Kid is so adorable that she's one of the reasons why I want this game to succeed!

From what I've seen, there ARE a lot of cartoony indie platformers with cute female protagonists. However, I don't see a problem with that. Hat Kid is so adorable that she's one of the reasons why I want this game to succeed!

Can you name many truly successful ones though?  Even Shantae is BARELY on the radar in terms of the bigger picture for games as a whole, and is pretty much the sole female representative of the platformer genre, and even then she's more of an open world platformer which... Samus kinda has her beat on lol.

Too many young girls these days are being brought up thinking that platforming isn't for women.  "What's that sweetie?  No no, you can't jump on things for a living, that's men's work.  Mega Men's work in fact.  No no, you find yourself a nice plumber to settle down with, bake some cakes and let him do all the platforming for the both of you."

We need to break out of this vicious cycle of oppression, and Shantae was just the beginning!!

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Female Protagonist For Cartoony Platformer cliche

I think if there's even any cartoony platformer cliche, it's probably more over "furry animal" rather than gender really. I can't even recall a female protagonist for a cartoon platformer off the top of my head right now, XD.

Game is looking neat though. Haven't really ventured into looking at all aside from scrolling past things in the topic here, but it sounds nice anyways, <3.

. I can't even recall a female protagonist for a cartoon platformer off the top of my head right now, XD.

Well there's....um...there's....well you know that game with....uh....

....freak out?

1-16-.jpg

That's all I've got....

The only other mildly popular one I can think of besides Shantae is Monster World IV. And both games tend to have cult followings rather than mainstream success.

There are also the Giana Sisters. I dunno if anyone remembers them, though.

There are also the Giana Sisters. I dunno if anyone remembers them, though.

They started life as a knock-off game of Mario, and... I played their most recent game and I admit as friggin' cool as the gimmick and presentation of said gimmick was, the game itself was generic as hell and I got fatigued of the overly long levels.

You guys, there is a new Stretch goal, if they get 150000, Grant Kirkhope will compose a song!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer/posts/499634#comments
Also they have 3 stretch goals acheived including a 6th chapter!
3000 bucks left to full voice acting

Say if they are at E3 they should really get into contact with Nintendo

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Oh hey, I was working on a game like this because I missed the N64 days and I knew how many other people did too, I guess this just proves the point that people really were ready for another proper open 3D Platformer. Neat! (Sad that it's not my team's thing going forward first with it, but ah well. Just glad the genre is stirring up interest again.)

840$ away from unlocking 7th chapter
40,840 away from grant kirkhope composing a song

Second to last Stretch goal reached, only 37,000 left till the final one, upon which Grant Kirkhope will compose a song for them(now if only they will add one for a wii-U release)

Only one song? I'd expect Grant to do the entire score for that price range...

Only one song? I'd expect Grant to do the entire score for that price range...

Read the fine print, most of its going to advanced AI and NPC stuff all to improve the game

Now we are looking at the next stretch goal, $150,000, which will result in the awesome Grant Kirkhope writing a music piece for the game! In case you haven't heard his work yet, hurry up and visit his Bandcamp account!

(Also, please note that that most of the money in the $150,000 stretch goal goes to improving existing chapters by adding enemies, NPCs, items and new abilities! It is not because Mr. Kirkhope wants $40,000)

Still, get a stretch goal for him to compose the entire score, not have one amazing Grant song, and the rest of the score be either shit or underwhelming compared to his.

Still, get a stretch goal for him to compose the entire score, not have one amazing Grant song, and the rest of the score be either shit or underwhelming compared to his.

I dunno, that'd kind of be a kick in the teeth for the music team already on board. Plus everyone will of course expect Grant's contribution to be B-K-esque for the sake of nostalgia (otherwise what's the point if we can't recognise his signature style?), and I wouldn't want this game to lose its own musical personality by having a whole score of B-K-ish music when it's managing to look so original so far despite the point of it being to be just like existing games.

Edited by JezMM

They have a bit higher than 120000, and they are announcing new stretch goals this weekend

I really hope they'll contact Sony for a PS4/Vita deal as well, what with all the outstanding indie support they're promising. That'd be neat. I'd be surprised if Sony turned them down considering how high quality this game looks.

Interesting, and possibly good news on the Wii-U front

Hi Everyone!

First of all the team at Gears for Breakfast would like to say a big thank you for all your continued support for our game. We are confident that we can reach all the stretch goals with your help so please continue to support us as the costs of producing a game like this are high!

As the Kickstarter campaign is shortly coming to an end we feel that it is necessary to clarify the Wii U situation as we know some of you are waiting to hear confirmation before backing us. We have been contacted by several companies who have expressed an interest in helping us bring the game onto the Wii U platform. However we are still in early talks with them and therefore we cannot give you a definite answer as these negotiations take months to sort out. We would like to add that people from Nintendo of America have shown an interest in our game due to your massive support!

Keep in mind that there are several hurdles we must overcome before the game can be put on the Wii U. Firstly we must obtain a license for the Unreal Engine, and it's been known to cost $500,000 and up, then we must apply to Nintendo to get access to their development kits which are necessary to port the game over to the Wii U. This is why we are talking to publishers as hopefully they can give us access to their development kit as well as licenses in return for a share of the games income.

We want to express that we really want the game to be on the Wii U or other additional platforms however it would not be fair to commit ourselves to this promise until further negotiations have taken place. In the meantime we are continuing to work hard on producing a game that you will all come to enjoy and love!

So essentialy they have been contacted by some developers, just dont have anything for sure yet, but we might know before its done ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Update!! new strech goals

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer/posts/512525#comments

More stretch goals: Mumble, New Game +, HUB! Also, coming up next...

Update #12·Jun 17, 2013·26 comments

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for all the enthusiasm! We're happy to bring you three new additional stretch goals we hope to make a reality: New Game +, Banjo-Kazooie style voice mumble and Hat Kid's Spaceship HUB!

stretchgoals_june17.jpg
New Game + ($165,000)

At this stretch goal, we'll allow you to replay the game after completion as a 'new game +'! You will be able to play as the multiplayer partner Timmy in singleplayer, and the game will be much more difficult! This feature might be especially interesting for those who thought the initial game was too easy, or strive for a challenge!! This mode will also be available in multiplayer!

B-K Style Voice Mumble Option ($180,000)

If you've played Banjo-Kazooie, you're familiar with this one! At this stretch goal, we'll bring together all the voice actors in a recording session and have them do various clips for use in this gibberish-language!
This would then allow you to pick the following voice options in the game: Full voice acting, mumble, off!

Here's a quick test implementation to showcase how it might be in the game (major thanks to Kyle, the voice actor of Mafia of Cooks for helping out to showcase the feature!):

Hat Kid's Spaceship HUB ($200,000)

A HUB world is the term for a game's main level, from which the player can then select which world to go to.
Initially for A Hat in Time we wanted to skip this step and cut straight to the chase, which were the worlds themselves. While we do have a love of Peach's Castle and Grunty's Lair, we never thought we would be able to fit in anything of that magnitude with our tiny budget! ...but now there's hope!

spaceship_hub.jpg

Hat Kid is a time traveler... she has a spaceship! We'd love to make her spaceship the main HUB for the game if we hit this stretch goal!

Coming up next...

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we'll show you some footage of our trip to the Danish game development event SpilBar, as well as reveal the winning t-shirts! Oh, and we'll be showcasing some of the merchandise too!

In addition, Video Games Awesome will be livestreaming the game if everything goes as planned! We'll make sure to put up the exact time on our Facebook page! We'll post it on Twitter too!

Wednesday Jonas will be briefly showing you around the Subcon Forest and talk about some of the choices made for this section of the game!

So ya, some good news, though still no new Wii-U info; Oh and they are at $130499 bucks

Also anyone know the gam grumps, maybe they should cover this!, and know anyone else who might be able to spread the word

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 4

Gibberish is a lovely idea, and a hub world even better.  I really hope they make that last one, I can't afford to donate any more.

I hope the New Game + would have altered layouts too, not just shift numbers around in terms of combat and health.

Edited by JezMM

Updates!

Chapter 2 Peek w/ Commentary

As promised, here's Jonas walking through parts of Chapter 2: The Subcon Forest and talking about some of the choices! Please excuse his poor English and accent!

Physical Copy Box!

If you're at the $50 pledge reward tier (and above!), you'll get a physical box with your copy! We're finally able to show you what the box looks like, so here it is!

retailbox.png

All the goodies from the previous reward tiers will also be inside the box!! It's a box full 'o goodies :D

Hat Kid's Spaceship HUB!

As part of our ultimate $200,000 stretch goal, we'll add a giant HUB world to the game, Hat Kid's spaceship! This is the world in-between levels! Luigi Lucarelli, our concept artist, just finished the sketch for the HUB, we hope you all like it!

spaceship_interior.jpg
Coming up next...

Tomorrow (Thursday) we'll be able to show the Hat Kid figurine! Sit tight!!

Video Games AWESOME's video now online!

Update #15·Jun 20, 2013·comment

Enjoy some sweet gameplay and some sweet costumes from Fraser and Becky from Video Games AWESOME!

Please note that this is of the prototype build, it is far from finished!

On another note they have reached $143,125