Awoo.

A Hat in Time! 3D Collect-a-Thon platformer on Kickstarter!

Gabz Girl

So last week, and more news

LAST WEEK! Hat Kid figurine! Grant Kirkhope tune!

Update #16·Jun 21, 2013·3 comments

Welcome to the last week of A Hat in Time's kickstarter campaign!! At time of writing we're about $50,000 away from reaching all the stretch goals, we can make it happen!

Yesterday I also promised I would show the Hat Kid figurine! Since we were so close to the Grant Kirkhope tune I wanted to put it all in one announcement! So without further ado, here's the Hat Kid figurine!

hatkid_figurine.jpg

Please note that this is a mock-up, a figurine is quite expensive and we wouldn't be able to produce one until we receive the Kickstarter funds. The figurine has it's own stand and is connected by feet as well as a few balance poles. We decided with 5cm as a figurine becomes exponentially more expensive the larger it is, and 5cm is a perfect size without taking away too much of the funding meant for the game!

And last but not least, we've reached the $150,000 Grant Kirkhope tune goal! Once the Kickstarter funding goes in, we'll be talking to Mr. Kirkhope about to how we'll go about it :D

Tomorrow (Saturday) we'll announce the exclusive Kickstarter hat winner! Remember, you can get the hat by pledging $40 and above!

so they are at $154,348 and have a week left, so who knows, maybe they will make 200000

Hopefully they do make 200k. A hub world would be really nice.

well, they are at $161,828 now so who knows, though only thing that might secure it, is if they announced a Wii-U version(which would be awesome) Oh and they are 3172 bucks away from New Game +

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

update

Kickstarter exclusive hat winner! JoshJepson playthrough!

Update #17·Jun 22, 2013·12 comments

The world has spoken! Or, at least the part of the world that has liked our Facebook page or commented on the Kickstarter announcement page! We tallied it up and here is the winning design of the Kickstarter exclusive hat...

timesisters.jpg

The Time Br- I mean, Time Sisters hat! Well done!! Everyone who pledges $40 and above will automatically receive this hat in game!

In addition, the kind and generous Josh Jepson decided to play through our A Hat in Time prototype! Watch part 1 online now, and see all of his 3-part adventure the next few days!

Also New Game + reached

Currently at $181,934 and Voice Mumble has been reached, I think they may make the HUB goal, they would proably even get further if they announced a nintendo wii-u release XD

Hmm, so minor update, its a small but fun stretch goal, but nothing earth shattering

c42075a14ebfdf2eea47e09525d9fe5f_large.j

(Please note that not all the money in the Music Madness goes to Mr. Kirkhope; with each new tune, we'll also be able to add one or two more enemies, more power pins (attack abilities) as well as NPCs!)

hopefully full update soon

full update

ALL GOALS DOWN! Grant's Music Madness!
Update #19 · Jun 25, 2013 · comment

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

When we were considering using Kickstarter, we were incredibly worried we wouldn't even reach anywhere near $30,000. We were wrong, and as a result we're able to put so much more into the game!

We're finally able to say, the last stretch goal, Hat Kid's spaceship HUB has been reached!

spaceship_interior.jpg

We've still got 3 days left, so the question is, what's next? And the answer is quite simple: we're at the point where we feel we can make the game we envisioned to the full extend. We don't want to promise revolutionary new additions because we feel comfortable with the current game and the size of the game! This is exactly the game we want to make!

A lot of you are screaming for a Wii U release! We hear you! Unfortunately we also realize that no amount of possible funding will make that easier - we need a publisher! We've been talking to a lot of very understanding and supportive persons with a full UDK license, and we definitely hope that we can announce something soon!

But even if we can't add Wii U as a stretch goal, there is still room for a larger variety of enemies, more NPCs,more collectibles,more unlockables,more attack moves! Increasing the funding will definitely give us the tools to provide more of those!

We've also heard your request for more Grant Kirkhope! We asked him if he was interested in making more tunes, and he said he'd love to! As a result we're introducing...

stretchgoals_grant.png

For every $15,000, we'll be able to provide Mr. Kirkhope with the (incredibly generous!) amount he requires, as well as add an additional enemy, upgrade or NPC to the game!! If you want to make a Grant Kirkhope playlist for A Hat in Time possible, we wanted to provide everyone with a last chance to make it possible!

Thank you once again to Mr. Kirkhope to make this last drive possible! Please keep in mind he's only human though, so in the event we end up with an overwhelming amount of tunes, we'll put a lot more of it into gameplay variety!

Thank you all so much once again!!
Gears for Breakfast

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I /really/ hope that they can get a Wii U publisher.

I thought you could self-publish on Wii-U (as well as PS4) as opposed to Microsoft's platforms? Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Also sorry for double posting.

Edited by Chaos Warp

I thought you could self-publish on Wii-U (as well as PS4) as opposed to Microsoft's platforms? Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Also sorry for double posting.

From what I understand, they need a publisher so they don't have to pay the big bucks for the Unreal Engine license.

From what I understand, they need a publisher so they don't have to pay the big bucks for the Unreal Engine license.

Ah, makes sense.

small update

2 New Kirkhope tunes! Greenlight!

Update #20·Jun 26, 2013·13 comments

tumblr_moyx9kuFdA1qkdvoho1_r1_1280.png

(Fanart by amburgered.tumblr.com)

We just hit $230,000! That means two additional Grant Kirkhope tunes, as well as more game content! And what kind of content, you ask? Well...

mafia_variety.jpg

We've been brainstorming some additional enemies! While we can't reveal our plans in this regard yet, rest assured that we're working hard on providing as much variety as possible with the funding!

We'd also like you to please consider voting for us on Steam Greenlight!

hatintime_greenlight.jpg

Steam only allows a certain number of games onto their platform, and there is fierce competition! We need all the help we can get!

Last time we asked you to vote, we were #25 on Steam Greenlight... we're now #23! But there is still a long way to top 10! So please ask your friends to also consider upvoting if they like the game!

And I hope they get onto the wii-u as well

final day announcment

Dawn of the Final Day - 24 Hours Remain

Update #21·Jun 27, 2013·29 comments

kickstarter_24hours.jpg

24 hours left, and we've almost reached 4 additional Grant Kirkhope tunes! :D
In these final hours, we at Gears for Breakfast want to thank you guys so much for your help and support!

A lot of you have been asking if we are ever gonna be supporting Paypal; we are happy to let you know that we've been speaking with the folks over at Humble Bundle to set up a Humble Store for A Hat in Time, which supports Paypal, Amazon and Google Wallet! We hope to bring you this feature on our website soon, so even if you missed the Kickstarter you'll still be able to get in on the action!

And one last thing... please consider voting for us on Steam Greenlight! I know we bring it up often, and we wouldn't if it weren't really important!

hatintime_greenlight.jpg

Happy doomsday!!
- Gears for Breakfast

5 songs(and possibly characters) reached at $282,984 7 hours to go

funded update!

thankyou.jpg

We at Gears for Breakfast would thank you so much for an amazing ride!! We hope to be able to provide you with a great gaming experience soon!

We will be doing a lot of behind-the-scenes over at our new blog on HatinTime.com! Hopefully people will enjoy the ride with us and see game development through our eyes, even if just for a little bit :D

We wanted to thank you all personally, so let's roll the cast!!

Greg, 3D Animator:

Thank you all so so much for your contributions! I don't think any of us were expecting such an overwhelming response. I feel very privileged to have all of your support behind us and to be working with such a talented bunch of people at Gears for Breakfast. I'm the lead animator on this project and it's my goal to have HatKid moving about the world as smoothly as Mario. That might seem like a bit of a tall task with such a small team but I think it's do-able and we'll try our best! Again, a huge thank you to everyone, it means a lot to us and we'll make the best game for you that we possibly can! x

Vincent, 3D Character Modeller:

This is surreal guys; I can't say thanks enough! I've been a part of many mods and fangames since graduating college, and all of them fell apart well before getting very far. I've worked on one retail game too, before my kidney failed, but it just wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to be working on. When I joined A Hat in Time, I wanted to be a part of it because it looked like a game I wanted to play. So even though I know this project resonates with many gamers, I never thought that I could end up working on a game like this independently, completely digitally (never met anyone else on this team in person!), and actually have people pledge money to see it completed. Let alone so much over the amount we were asking! Also, never in a million years did I think I'd ever work on a game that would have Grant Kirkhope's music in it! That's all because of you guys. If I could go back in time and tell my 11-year-old self (while playing Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing, no less!) that, I think my mind would explode :) It's truly sobering, and it's thanks to each and every person here that this game can happen. Whether you gave $1 or $1000, you're all amazing! Now, it's up to us to deliver you guys all a game that is worth all the support you've given us so far - it's a little daunting, but it's also incredible to know so many people out there care enough about this game to watch it be created. And to have all of you watching; that's pushing us all... you guys are going to get nothing less than 100% from us, and we're determined to make this the best game it can be. So once again, thank you all so much for the support!

Shane, Creature Concept Artist:

Thank you all for supporting A Hat In time and giving it a chance to be all that it can be! Your dedication, intrigue and donations have helped shape the pathway for our whole team to fly on. I for one can say that originally when we reached the $30,000 goal, I was blown away. I mean, I was planning on stealing all of that money for myself, making a B line to Mexico under the alias of Alejandro Martinez to live out my days as a rich and powerful hermit. Now though you've all realized I can reach for the stars with bigger plans! I'm going to rule the world with your money and create an army of- Wait, what's that...? What do you mean it all goes to the game? I had plans!.....................................Thank you all so much for donating to A Hat In Time, I promise that quality creatures will fill the planes of your experiences and I in no way will steal your money.

Trey, 3D Artist:

Wow! What a crazy month! I never imagined we would earn this amount, Its just so absolutely crazy. Seeing such support really does make the message clear that people still do want these kinda games made and I couldn't be happier to be on a team making such a game! While this is the end of the Kickstarter, it is also the start of a very long road of development and testing as we build the game for you guys. I look forward to seeing what you guys think of the game as we start to build and share more! Thank you again, really this means so much to me and everyone else on the team. You have no idea how grateful we all truly are!

William, 3D Artist:

Thank you all for supporting us, it means a lot to me! I've been a Source modder for roughly 10 years and have made many levels that I'm proud of but I've always wanted to work on a full game in this genre and thanks to you I can. I'm the lead environment artist on the team and I will be responsible for most of the levels you will be exploring so I hope I can make something you'll enjoy and explore so thank you very much. I also hope you'll enjoy trying on all the hats because there can never be enough hats in games. I'm very fortunate to be working with the various talented team members of Gears for Breakfast and can't wait to knuckle down and work hard. I'd like to finally thank all the various forums that helped me out over the years and a shoutout to TAY for turning me into a living legend! :P

Luigi, Concept Artist:

Hey everyone! I am blown away and humbled by your support, thank you so much for making this game possible. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this, I have always wanted to see this genre make a comeback and I'm so glad you are all helping this dream become a reality! I know the team is extremely excited and we can't wait to give you the best game we can make! As for me, I hope you'll enjoy all the characters I design and places I concept for all of you!! I'm not the best with words so I sketched a "thank you" drawing just for you!! Thanks again everyone, you're the best!!!!!!

Eric, Music Composer:

I don't think any of us can possibly thank you enough! You smashed through all our goals and blew away anyone's expectations. Whahaha! We're rich! Your money and support will go into the creation of the best collect-athon platformer we possibly can make! I've worked on a few indie games and was sad to see them never see the light of day and watch as my music fell into the abyss. When I stumbled upon A Hat in Time's Youtube videos with placeholder music from a bunch of classic games, I simply could not resist looking into giving this game some original tunes! And now that we are able to bring the legendary Grant Kirkhope into the loop I can promise that the two of us will make an absolutely fantastic soundtrack! Gears for Breakfast will do everything in our power to create the ultimate nostalgic platformer experience of the decade! Thank you so much-a for funding the Kickstarter! Let'sa go!

Jonas, Director & Programmer:

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping us make this opportunity possible! When we started out we applied for funding at a publisher who then flat out declined our proposal, we're so glad to see that they had no idea what people want, haha! Now we're able to be entirely independent, which is a dream come true!! I hope my writing will charm you (thank you for the Mafia line compliments!) and that my programming of the game world will feel as if it came from a triple-A title :D

• Thumbs Up 1

So in the end, we have six Kirkhope tracks. That's awesome.

Edited by MarcelloF

Hope they get that Wii-U release, but I'd be also fine with a regular PC release as long as there is gamepad support. Steam would be awesome but it's unlikely that'll get through the Greenlight process.   

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty awesome! I can't believe I hadn't heard about this game until now. 

It's got the gameplay of Mario and Zelda, the level design of Banjo Kazooie, the visuals of Wind Waker and the music of Grant Kirkhope.

I can't wait for this to finish.

update, paypal, and preorders!

doitforher.png

Hey everyone!

We’re pleased to announce that we’ve opened our slacker backer preorder page! Big thanks to the guys at Humble Bundle for helping us set up a Humble Store page!
Unfortunately we are not able to provide any of the physical rewards from the Kickstarter campaign in this preorder; physical rewards take up a huge chunk of our time, and for now we’d like to focus on the game as much as possible!

Everyone who backed during the Kickstarter, or preorder using our Humble Store page, will receive the game earlier than it’s worldwide release! Even if you didn’t participate in alpha or beta!

The preorder page supports Paypal, Amazon and Google Wallet! We know a lot of you had trouble with the lack of support for these during the Kickstarter period, we hope this will make up for it.

Thank you all so very much once again!! We’ll make sure to update you soon on our lovely Queen Vanessa!

Click here to go to the A Hat in Time Preorder Page!

11 Comments

Queen Vanessa month + Alpha/Beta info
Update #23·Jul 12, 2013·5 comments

queen_incoming.jpg

Hello hello! This is our first month working after the Kickstarter, and we’re calling it Queen Vanessa month!
But who’s the Queen? Ack, we can’t spoil yet! Rest assured you’ll be experiencing a change in gameplay with her involved, though!!

Beta/Alpha info

The question we’re asked the most is: when is beta/alpha available?

The Beta will be available when the game is content-complete, that is, we’ve added everything to the game and just need to optimize it as well as fix bugs. This is estimated to be around a month before final release!

The Alpha will be available before the game is content-complete! This means you get an exclusive early look at the game, so while you can expect a significant amount of bugs, it also gives you a good opportunity to provide us with early feedback and help us iron out the game before the beta! When exactly this is, is hard to tell – it will be at a point where we think you’ll have an enjoyable experience, but also without being able to provide a complete game. It could be anywhere from a month till four months before release, maybe even earlier! It all depends on how confident we feel in our prototype before we move on to alpha.

Hope this answered your question regarding beta and alpha!

Physical Rewards

A lot of you have been asking regarding when we ship the physical rewards, and this is something we’re still discussing – we have the option of either sending it all early but without the actual game, or sending it late but with the game. The best option will become more clear to us as we make progress on Steam Greenlight (please vote for us!) and get an insight on how Steam handles keys!

We’re still working on the late backer shop! Stay tuned on that one :D

Blog post for this update

5 Comments

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

Well this topic's been dead for a year. Forgot about this game.
New Trailer incoming

GcxnkDy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to it! =D Wish I had enough money at the time to support the Kickstarter, but I'm glad to see it still did really well in the end.