Awoo.

A Hat in Time! 3D Collect-a-Thon platformer on Kickstarter!

Gabz Girl

• 1 month later...

Here's the aforementioned trailer (it was already posted about a month ago, so I'm pretty late with this). The game looks pretty nice so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvEmlprqj14

The alpha build is available for Kickstarter backers who pledged $70+ to play (PC/Mac), for more information check out the preorder page on the official website.

It looks wonderful!

While watching that gameplay trailer I was struck by how similar it looks to Wind Waker graphics wise, which is certainly not a bad thing since I love that game.

• 3 years later...

Using some necromancy magic here because, loh and behold, we have a release date:

...sorta. It's this year's fall, but at least it's something.

Feels like I've been waiting forever for this game.

Not that it matters. It's coming out for every console except the one I plan on owning (and the one it probably has the best audience for). Oh well.

Blame Nintendo for that they want to do a Switch version but they couldn't get a dev kit. 

10 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Blame Nintendo for that they want to do a Switch version but they couldn't get a dev kit. 

Ah, so give it time then. It's pretty well established they're restricted in the number of units they have

• 2 months later...

Game's out, and it rules.

While I don't doubt that Yooka-Laylee was a project of passion, A Hat in Time has polish, intuitive design, and its own unique identity that YL lacks. It also controls like a dream and the crazy jumps you can pull off remind me of why 3D Mario can be so fun. I love everything about this game so far.

Spoiler

Also, Queen Vanessa is going to give me nightmares for weeks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

Queen Vanessa makes me want to hide under my bed, even with the dust and potential bugs.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or has A Hat in Time got a distinct lack of hype surrounding it? There aren’t a lot of reviews out there (from critics at least) and people are talking more about YL than this seemingly superior game! 

I wanna play this so bad, but since it’s only on PC so far I’ll have to wait for the PS4 version. Or...potentially Switch in the future? 

It had sure better come to Switch. They have Switch development kits now, so I can't see them NOT working to bring this game to Switch, even as we speak. If so many other indie games are selling better on Switch than other consoles, I have little doubt a 3D platformer (especially one as apparently good at this) would be a smash hit.

• 10 months later...

The first DLC has been out for a little over a week now. It's worth it for the new music alone. Seriously.

Some of the new boss music is absolute fucking sick. Spoilers for the main game and Death Wish mode:

Spoiler

I've been playing this for much of the weekend after Sean bought it for me. It's truly pretty amazing. It's such a delightfully charming labor of love that I think hasn't been replicated  by anyone else in the genre since the PS2 years (saying that while making it clear that I haven't played a Mario game since Galaxy 2). It was advertised as a collectathon platformer like Rare's games, but it really doesn't play like one and I think it does it a disservice to call it one when Yooka Laylee was much more of one and suffered from all of the problems those games were known to have even by the time DK64 was new.

The controls and camera are much better than anything Rare ever accomplished, as is the level design. The philosophy behind them and character abilities opening up more of them are a lot more like Insomniac's best games (the first level in particular feels a lot like Going Commando, especially as you get more abilities) then the "throw shit in big mostly empty worlds and let the player find it allt" Rare stuff; and the controls can match the best Mario games (they feel like Sunshine mixed with Going Commando). The aesthetic and sound design is also fantastic and also very Insomniac/Sunshine-y; and the voice acting is all really great as well.

Plus, me and platformers have a bit of a thing. I play all of them like I'm doing some sort of pannenkoek video if possible, and the game absolutely allows you to play that way. I did a tricky bit of pixel perfect jumps on small platforms that took twenty minutes, then found out after I got where I was going that there was a string of like four platforms if I came from the other direction that used one of the advanced abilities that I didn't check first. There are achievements for dicking around and exploring, sequence braking, the works; and the levels absolutely are so open ended that if you're really good you can play the game in a completely different way than intended, using a lot of the kind of stuff you see in Mario 64 speedruns. Dive recovery even seems like it's as fast as using the sprint ability.

It's really, really good.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

• 10 months later...

After a year of announcing it and then leaving us all in the dark, Hat Kid will finally make her triumphant debut on Switch this October. Complete with all current expansions: Co-op, Seal the Deal and Death Wish mode.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

YES! Finally! Oh, I can't wait to pick this up!

Though I do also wonder if they'll be bringing co-op and DLC to the other console ports around the same time...

• Thumbs Up 1

Gears for Breakfast has been pretty bad about supporting any version that isn't Steam from what I've heard. The PS4/X1 versions still don't have any of the patches Steam has gotten, and I'm not optimistic that the Switch release will mean anything for other platforms, let alone the Switch even getting Nyakuza Metro. AHiT is still a fantastic game and I hope it does well on Switch, but I'm sticking to my Steam copy until I can have some confidence the console releases aren't going to be left in the dust afterward.

• Thumbs Up 2

Co op is nice but I'm holding off on buying it again until a version with Nyakuza Metro comes out on console. Not being able to get any of the extra stuff on PS4 has been a pain and I don't want to buy the game 3 times if the switch version ends up with no post launch support either.

Debating on getting this. I would need to buy it for console since my laptop won’t be able to run it. A little concerned about missing the extra content. However, I bought Mario Odyssey not long ago, so I don’t know if getting this would be redundant. Does this game hold up in its own right?

Damn it, another game for my Switch, I already have Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Mario & Sonic Tokyo and Pokemon Sword on my list. And little time/money. What should I get? Especially it clashes with Luigi's Mansion 3 and its release date.

Prioritise whichever genre of game you like best, perhaps?  Or try to figure out which game excites you the most.  I'd imagine that Link's Awakening and perhaps Luigi's Mansion 3 might be relatively shorter titles than the others, too.

Just finished the game for the first time. Did a full 100% run of the PS4 version, and it's one of the best collect-a-thons in recent years IMO. I liked how they carried the spirit of other collect-a-thons, but modernised just enough so it wasn't downright frustrating at points. As a comparison piece, the last collect-a-thon I finished was Banjo 1 a few months back, and while it was fun, it was really beginning to wear thin by the end, especially by the time of Rusty Bucket and Click Clock. A Hat in Time avoids it by not having too many collectables, and IMO at least - being the perfect length for me. Took me about 10 to 15 hours to 100% and because of that, the game never really got boring to me. 

I also loved how many games it seemed to take inspiration from. I'm a big fan of Mario Sunshine in particular, and got a lot of great vibes of that game from AHiT. The artstyle was great, the characters and personalities were all fun (even if I wish Mustache Girl would've taken a bit more of an arc villain role, and appeared in Subcon Forest and Dead Bird Studios to cause mischief), and the adventure was short and sweet, remaining fresh without overstaying it's welcome. Also, can I just say, I love how Hat Kid controls. The momentum based platforming, and swapping between the dive jump and normal jumps to control exactly where I land reminded me greatly of Mario Odyssey, another collect-a-thon I really enjoy.

Honestly, I'm just a bit sad I won't get to experience the DLC chapters on PS4. I'll likely pick the Switch version up at some point, to experience it at some point, or at least the additional chapters. I cannot see myself running through Deathwish.

I'm interested in the Switch version because I'd love a new couch co-op game my wife and I can play together, so as long as the co-op mode doesn't have awful performance that'll probably be good enough to justify the purchase, even without Nyakuza Metro... but if Nyakuza Metro DOESN'T come out that will be a downer for sure.

I do actually own a Steam Link but after my use of it dwindled it became a hassle to set up (there's always a little bit of arguments about whether my PC wants to send the visuals to my monitor or the Link, and getting controllers to respond properly etc).  The convenience of having it on Switch will be great as long as co-op has good performance - I know the PC game has incredible depths of optimisation options for visuals but you never know how well that will ACTUALLY translate to a console game in split-screen, and Sonic Forces/TSR has made me a little wary of how difficult it is or isn't to port a game down to the Switch's capabilities - hard to know if that's just Sonic Team being incompetent though lol (really Sky Road's visuals on Switch were such a letdown and split-screen framerate is incredibly sucky lol).

• 1 month later...

Good news, Nyakuza will eventually make its way to Switch:

They also appear to be making plans to update the X1/PS4 versions as well:

Shame it took them so long, but I'm glad to know the console versions aren't going to be screwed forever. I might actually pick up the Switch version if it runs well now that I know I'll get all the content that was on the PC/Steam version.