Awoo.

"Sonic Birthday Party 2013" in Tokyo Joypolis

Woun

I see all that merchandise and I begin to cry. Why can't they put something that awesome in an area that's more warm to Sonic?

I know there's one other SEGA theme park...

...in Dubai. Seriously? Dubai?!

I would probably faint if I were at such an event, just look at all that crazy merchandise! I'd love if Sonic Boom had even a fraction of that kind of stuff...

Sonic Channel is calling them 'stamps', and wants everyone to please collect all 40 of them.  There doesn't seem to be any further description, just comments on their lively expressions. laugh.png

They aren't a physical thing like you all think they are unfortunately. They are basically "emotiocons" for a mobile phone application called LINE which people (myself included) use to text and send little pictures to friends for free.

The 40 "stamps" refers to the images which you use like emoticons. I'm just trying to work out where I can find it (hoping it isn't Japan exclusive) so I can buy it too!

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I could tell that LINE was a name, but my dictionary site (not surprisingly) couldn't identify it, and I'd not heard of it before.  (Although it does list 'Sonic the hedgehog (game series or character)' as a alternate definition of 'sonic'!)

Edited by Thrippa

It really does make me sad Japan gets all this exclusive stuff that we do not...

I really wish they'd send some of it our way! All this art looks so awesome. :(

15199@2x.png

Those stamps are so good! I really like artwork which shows the characters doing something other than striking a generic pose.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wish I could program them to be used as Facebook Stickers

Sega should bundle them all and sell them in other countries for a dollar or something. Easiest penny they'd ever make.

For extra lucre, bundle each character instead for the same price.

I really wish we could get these in an official way, but alas, SEGA's not one for localisation. :(

Having a look at them again, would anyone actually like these designs if they were used for that rumored new sonic cartoon?

Having a look at them again, would anyone actually like these designs if they were used for that rumored new sonic cartoon?

I certainly wouldn't mind, though overall I'm indifferent.

The style does strike one as pretty zany though, and looks like something you'd see off of MAD:

(Go figure this is a sketch Sonic has a supporting role in)

So if one were going for a fairly loony cartoon feel reminiscent of Adventures of Sonic... going for this style of art actually would hold great merit. They've used the same style across media before: the art style used in Sonic the Movie is the same as the animated portions of Sonic CD. Assuming the cartoon is made in Japan like Sonic X, maybe we will very possibly see a style like this...

...actually, given Japan's reputation for craziness, I'm seeing it as very plausible what we see as a silly cartoon over here will originate as a perfectly legitimate one over there.

Either way this birthday party has shown us all sorts of neat stuff we don't get. :(

15199@2x.png

Those stamps are so good! I really like artwork which shows the characters doing something other than striking a generic pose.

I was looking for bigger images of these. Granted to make a small observation, we now know that the buttons on Eggman's coat is not just a decoration, but they keep his front stabilized to his jumpsuit.

OMG I just want to roll him down a hill.

Edited by Scheming Minor

• 1 month later...

Hello main theme music?

The Japanese Sonic YouTube account just uploaded the Sonic birthday party even in full, this is basically Japans version of Summer of Sonic/Sonic Boom.

I've not watched the video in full but... theres no english subtitles, so you can't understand what is being said, however there are a few interesting 'reactions.'

For starters, when they show sonic Adventure and the chao pops up, the crowd goes nuts... There is another case where the crowd goes nuts too, and thats when... Sonic Free Riders shows up?

Seriously? Was the Riders Series a really well recieved series in Japan? I can't imagine it's because it was Sonic Free Riders since the Xbox 360 was pretty much dead in that region when that game came out.

Anyway, heres the event in full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQQNK0p0wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fLNMkzGJTw

The second part is mainly Lost World news. Including what sounds like the main title theme to the game, not sure if thats been heard yet.

Gameplay of lost world is shown, both Wii U and 3DS, none of it is unseen.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hello main theme music?

The Japanese Sonic YouTube account just uploaded the Sonic birthday party even in full, this is basically Japans version of Summer of Sonic/Sonic Boom.

I've not watched the video in full but... theres no english subtitles, so you can't understand what is being said, however there are a few interesting 'reactions.'

For starters, when they show sonic Adventure and the chao pops up, the crowd goes nuts... There is another case where the crowd goes nuts too, and thats when... Sonic Free Riders shows up?

Seriously? Was the Riders Series a really well recieved series in Japan? I can't imagine it's because it was Sonic Free Riders since the Xbox 360 was pretty much dead in that region when that game came out.

Anyway, heres the event in full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQQNK0p0wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fLNMkzGJTw

The second part is mainly Lost World news. Including what sounds like the main title theme to the game, not sure if thats been heard yet.

Gameplay of lost world is shown, both Wii U and 3DS, none of it is unseen.

It's definitely the most of the theme we have heard yet. The most we have heard is just snippets of it at the end of levels. I guess that eliminates the fear of not having a main theme (I honestly would be shocked if they didn't myself)

Wow it actually sounds pretty awesome! A mix of orchestration and some nice drum & bass sections by the sounds of it! 

Holy shit, you can kill the female giant Caterkiller with the Asteroid Wisp!

I feel kinda bad for her...;A;

Well, atleast she died without having to suffer through any pain (unless it hurts to be sucked in a void then yeah I feel a little bit bad for her too).

I'd argue Not Existing Anymore is worse than feeling pain...but then again they're robots so they probably don't feel "pain", exactly... :U

ANYWAY, music sounded good from what I could hear. People linked to this video earlier and I noticed the level design is a bit different in terms of speed booster placement. Not sure what that means, exactly...

Edited by ElementofChaos

Not surprising, since you could kill Skullian (the Asteroid Coaster boss) in a similar fashion using the Void Wisp in Colors DS.

• Thumbs Up 1