Awoo.

Sonic's image today

Yugi Muto

Is Sonic not KEWL and EDGY enough for 12-year-olds?

No. In fact, the only Sonic game my friend ever plays with me is Shadow. ... Seriously. I wonder whyyyyy.

No. In fact, the only Sonic game my friend ever plays with me is Shadow. ... Seriously. I wonder whyyyyy.

Ironic, because that game was purely made for the HARDCORE PLAYERS of the game market at the time.

Then the answer is clear...

Shadow the Hedgehog 2

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole mentality about the series looking "kiddy" and therefore "bad" and "uncool" is what actually makes me want to backhand people across the internet. It's a cartoon hedgehog people; it can do dark like many other cartoons, but it's gonna have silly moments as other cartoons like it have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like with anything else, there's good silly and then there's bad silly. Sonic's brand of silly tends to lean towards the latter side of things, at the very least being cringe-worthy more often than not. Sonic giving Tails that look over his Egg Carrier remarks is, to this day, the funniest fucking thing that ever happened in the games with intention, and it didn't take two new writers and a sea of dialogue to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I hear read a lot here is "Sonic is a brightly colored cartoon animal". Well Superman is a brightly colored dude in spandex with a cape and his pants on top of his trouser.

What I want to say is, the chara-design of a character have an impact, but it doesn't define that character, the way the story is told and the way the public view it is the real defining point. Another example, take Donald Duck, Daffy Duck and Howard the duck, all three of them are anthropomorphic "cartoony" duck character, but they are in no way the same.

So when I see Sonic, a blue anthropomorphic Hedgehog faster than sound, I could see him as the road runner or Speedy Gonzales but it's not the case I see a character within a story, and the kind of story and the way he react to it will define my view of him.

Give Sonic a good story, make him react in a way that appeal to the player and he'll be a cool character, in games like colours with the way they make him act, he is in no way cool.

Edited by McNarrow
  • Thumbs Up 2