Awoo.

The Media Trailer Thread

Milo

Before we begin, I'd like to clarify that I'm not talking about these trailers.

Trailer-CG.jpg

This is a thread in which you can post and talk/discuss trailers concerning various media (from (animated) films to television shows to video games among others), as well as your thoughts on them. You can also talk about the various forms of trailers themselves (i.e. teasers, trailers from character perspectives, extended trailers, etc.)

The trailers that are discussed here don't have to be trailers for published/official works, they can also be trailers for works done by fans or independents. These trailers also do not have to concern new or even recent works-these trailers can also concern old works. The trailers do not even have to be official-they can be fanmade trailers for official works done with some clever editing.

I'll start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3i9PKbnRvo

One of my favorite trailers is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if only because the entire trailer is one big lampshade hanging of various tropes about trailers. The best part has to be the line about trailer announcers with Don Lafontaine himself (who was known for doing a bajillion of these over his lifetime) mocking himself about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

Another is the teaser trailer for Alien, namely because of how effectively scary it is despite hardly -if at all- showing the titular alien creature. The mishmash of clips/scenes of (frightened) characters, still landscapes/objects, and freaky/dark images; the slow reveal of the text that makes up the movie title over all of this going on, topped off with a eerie soundtrack of nothing but sirens, wind chimes, pounding beats, etc. ...it's a great example of being frightening by showing essentially nothing-or at least showing little that is concrete/cohesive about the film. It's so memorable/effective that the teaser for Alien's prequel Prometheus was modeled after it.

So, what are your (un)favorite (types of) trailers and why? Discuss!

Edited by Gabe

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Milo

• DarkLight

• GOAT

This trailer was the only thing that made me ever show interest in that movie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLUrF3ItGQ&feature=player_detailpage

It's sadly funny how this one teaser trailer looked more akin to what the movie was supposed to be than the actual movie. When I first saw this, it literally felt like this was really the series being brought to life on the silver screen and the ending score just pumped me up and temporarily casted away any skepticism I had about the film's controversies and choice of director. Man, those were good times.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSQ2xcjalHI

Say what you will about the actual movie, but the teaser for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen knows how to get one hyped. I think the reason why this trailer works is similar to the aforementioned Alien teaser. A chilling soundtrack comprised of nothing but silence and menacing electronic chords and chimes accompanies various scenes of destruction and panicking people. It also catches your interest because initially it doesn't even look like a Transformers film, it instead looks like some sort of "(alien) doomsday" film. Unless you've seen the trailer before or know what the film being advertised is, you wouldn't even know it had anything to do with Transformers up until  you see the robot transform into a car and hear that familiar transformation sound, which is arguably supposed to give the audience that "OMG Transformers!" moment. It overall gives the impression that all sorts of serious stuff is about to go down with the Decepticons returning to exact their *title drop* revenge on the Autobots and their human allies.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Everyone when it happened has already talked to death about this, but I'll just cover it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCVzjGVFy4

The initial buildup to the reveal is just greats up there with Snake's reveal as a guest fighter in Brawl at the end of that E3 trailer. I'm don't even know the series that well (let alone played a game, I think) but to claim I didn't get excited would be lying. The music is rather great too, and the footage has some great gameplay clips of Mega Man's attacks in action as well as some great CGI of Mega Man fighting his fellow Nintendo brawlers.

• 10 months later...

This freaking trailer right here.

As a freshman in High School and a huge Halo fanboy, I couldn't believe how amazing this sh*t was. This trailer got me out of my seat and I remember having recurring dreams of me playing Halo 2 before it even came out like 3 or 4 times a week. It was probably the most obsessed over a video game I had ever been besides my Sonic Adventure/Adventure 2 days.

Also @Gabe. Your Sig is amazing man. The Wire is one of my favorite shows of all time. Planning on rewatching all of it this summer for the 3rd time.