Awoo.

The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog

Crespair

I bet all of you know that great show. I wasn't alive when it ran on TV (I wasn't born until 2003), but i still love it. It's probably the only memorable Sonic show next to SatAM. I never saw a complete episode until i ran into it on netflix. I first heard of the show on a YTP, i don't remember which. Anyways here is a general disscusion thread for the show.

On topic, AoSTH is a fun show, I have the complete 65 episode box set on DVD, and watch them from time to time. It's quite imaginative for a game based on a video game series, as really you've only got Sonic, Tails and Robotnik who are in the games, everything else, (Bar a few zone references) is it's own thing made in the TV show, which is really nice for a change.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog - Full Pilot Episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ54vXrcVU

Here's the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot episode in its entirety.

CREDITS (incomplete):

-Kent Butterworth (producer, director, storyboard)

-Milton Knight (animation, storyboard, layout, Robotnik character design)

-Ed Love (animation)

-Gary Paul Terry (storyboard, layout, Scratch and Grounder character design)

-Eddie Fitzgerald (storyboard)

-Mike Fontanelli (design)

-Marc Schirmeister (design)

-Jordan Reichek (design)

-Gary Owens (voice: narrator)

-Jaleel White (voice: Sonic)

-Jim Cummings (voices: Robotnik, Scratch, additional characters)

• Thumbs Up 2

AoSTH is a pretty good show, it made Sonic a little bit more 'popular' and it was really one of the first things out of the games that Sonic starred in. So, I guess I like it for that.

I'm an oldie so I saw the UK's original run; both Saturday morning and Big Breakfast weekly runs (although the latter only showed a few minutes of the show!)

I love it, even though it really has little resemblance to the games. I guess it has Chaos Emeralds at some point, and throughout the show there's badniks in the form of Coconuts, Grounder and Cluckers...er.. Scratch! Tails being "Sahnic's lil bro" is nice as well, although I think Tails is much younger in his AoSTH form than any other (I think he says he is 4 in one episode!). Dr Rrrrrrrrrrrrrbotnik voiced by Long John Baldry is the Robotnik IMO... at least before Youtube poops ruined it! :P It's also the form of Robotnik that STC took on!

• Thumbs Up 2

Back when I was about 4 years old, my mum and dad bought home some videotapes which had AoStH episodes on them. Great memories of watching those every night. ^_^

I do like AoStH, which is a really big freakin' achievement considering I dislike any form of Sonic canon apart from the games and the OVA. Not interested in SatAM, not interested in Underground, not a fan of Archie or Fleetway nor do I particularly enjoy Sonic X, American or Japanese.

It's a fun slapstick kinda deal is what I mostly like about it. It's what Sonic's all about at the end of the day in my view. 

I can't not like this show. It's off-the-wall humor and WTF gags are something I enjoy.

Also I used to watch it as a kid so there's nostalgia in there too.

Awwww yeah, motherfucking AOSTH! Most definitely the best Sonic cartoon in my eyes.

It may be childish but I can't get enough of the slapstick humour, especially with Robotnik, pretty much every scene he's in guarantees some laughs from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTljl_MLEI

SNOOPINAS AS USUAL I SEE!

Edited by TheCakeMiester
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can we just say how AOSTH Robotnik is now THE Robotnik, how sexy that sonofabitch is, how the show should've been named after him and praise his almighty voice. And his letitmof.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oh god, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I love that show.

Sonic is gold. He is a smartass, a big brother, and a hero. He has the best personality out of any Sonic incarnation outside of the games canon IMO. And Jaleel White.

Tails is soooo cute! I love how adorably childish and yet still good in technology he is. And his voice acting is great, too.

The Sonic and Tails bond is something I love that was never really explored anywhere else until Colours came along.

post-3789-0-36023800-1370287536_thumb.jpThis is the best thing.

Knuckles:

Scratch and Grounder: Good ol' comic relief, but I actually like these guys. It's definitely the voices and the wacky animation that bring these two to life so well.

Coconuts: ...Actually, I'm kinda 'meh' on this one. He doesn't really have that much appeal, and  I find him kinda annoying. Sorry XP

post-3789-0-33972800-1370287588_thumb.pn Certified Genuises.

But we all know why this show is the best.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik!

post-3789-0-42470200-1370287624_thumb.pnLook at that jolly little bastard!

Oh sweet Jesus, I love this beautiful, sexy Eggman Robotnik soooo much. He is such a goofball, a top-class meme generator, and his quotes are liquid gold!

'PROMOTION.'

and yes, PINGAS. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME.

He is a joy to watch, because everything he does is so unique. Hell, even the way he walks! It's strictly him, and nobody else.

... Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog? Yes please.

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Thumbs Up 2

I guess it has Chaos Emeralds at some point

Which was of course the brilliant four-parter where Robotnik went after the four chaos emeralds (chaos emerald of invisibility, invincibility, immortality and power of life)

Part 1: Black Bot The Pirate                      

Part 2: Hedgehog Of The Round Table

Part 3: Robotnik's Pyramid Scheme

Part 4: Prehistoric Sonic

It was cool in that once Robontik had obtained all four chaos emeralds and had grown to a giant size, it took five versions of Sonic and Tails to take him out.

The episode 'Prehistoric Sonic':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlU0dYpm48

But yeah, a great series. Robotnik, Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts were the stars, and Jaleel White was great as the voice of Sonic. It was just silly funny, which was perfect.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

I love this show! Really is great and you don't really need to know any background to jump in at any episode (bar a few characters or the only multi-story arc in the series). I have the box set too and I used to watch it all the time!

I love how Robotnik thinks he's really sexy in this series, it's really funny. I also quite like some of the recurring characters like Dr. Von Schlemmer and Proffessor Kneinstein :P (Don't forget Wally the Weasel!

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog-I absolutely LOVE this cartoon! AoStH is one of my all-time favorite cartoons and second favorite Sonic cartoon next to SatAM...It was the cartoons that really got me into Sonic more than the games did. I thought all the main characters were well portrayed in the cartoon; there wasn't a single character out of the main cast that I did not like. Although a bit obnoxious at times, Sonic was very entertaining with his cool attitude, memorable catchphrases, and endless disguises:

PqHkGNx.jpg?1

Seriously, how did they NOT know that was Sonic?!

Tails was absolutely adorable, along with being faithful to Sonic and very smart. Dr. Robotnik, as intelligent as he is, was downright hilarious. I was probably laughing at him more than any other character, especially when he said without fail in almost each episode: "I hate that hedgehog!" Coconuts was my favorite among the badniks, I really liked him and I wished that the appeared in the show more frequently than he did. Scratch and Grounder are an absolute riot being so absent-minded, and it was hilarious seeing them constantly bickering and seeing Sonic foil their plans time and time again. But most of all, I downright loved the bromance between Sonic and Tails throughout the show, antics included:

sonic_the_hedgehog_adventures_of.jpg

This here was my favorite moment in the entire show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJohy5kN0Y

This scene was absolutely adorable! I love it! smile.png 

As humorous as the show was, it was informative at times, notably with the Sonic Says segments. One of the things that I got out of the show that I never forgot was that of chili dogs. I never saw one or knew they existed until I watched this cartoon. 

A3uryWa.jpg?1

I have so many fond memories watching it initially as a 9 year old, and I laughed a ton while watching it; and I am doing the same even now some 20 years later, probably more so now than I did back then in 1993. wink.png I wish that the show continued on for a few more years at least, as great as it was. But I'm thankful that all 65 episodes were put on DVD and I was able to buy the whole set. That allows me to enjoy and cherish this awesome cartoon now and for many years to come.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sorry for being lazy, but I'll quote a post I made from another AoStH topic:

It's next to the OVA as my favourite animated adaptation.

As with the OVA, there weren't any "nostalgia goggles" here, since I first learned about Sonic in 2003 (somehow I never heard about him in all the previous years of my life). So I knew pretty much nothing about AoStH for a while, the closest thing I had being that one artwork of the AoStH-style Robotnik in Mega Collection, which had puzzled me greatly. I mean, yes, I heard one or two episodes in the other room during primary school, but I could barely decipher what it was.

Then one day, I think a year or so later, once I had played a few games (mainly Mega Collection and the first two Advances), I was at my friend's house when he said he managed to catch an episode of Sonic. As you'd expect, I was completely confused, since I had never known there was any cartoon at all about Sonic (let alone five... well, four back then, since Sonic X would have been new at the time). But sure enough, there was me and my friend in his living room - with no one else in the entire house - watching that episode. (I can't remember the name of the episode, but it was about mind control, and the Sonic Sez involved swimming.) Both of us had the same reaction: that it was hilariously awesome.

Despite this, I sort of forgot about AoStH for a while, mainly because I was so focused on the games. But eventually, on the dear old internet's YouTube, I came upon the series once again (as well as learning more about the other cartoons). It went uphill from there.

But anyways, yes. It's lovely.

For a start, as others have said already, it's the closest out of the DiC cartoons to capture the style of the games (Underground was just Bad Music VS Victor Hugo's Mahogany Abominations, and SatAM - whatever you think of it - was really not Sonic-esque other than "Sonic spins, there's Tails, the bad guy's name is Robotnik, and there's robots"). Granted, the zones usually looked nothing like their game selves and everything was even more coked up than usual, but all the important things were there; Sonic & Tails going around various lands, Robotnik's Egg Mobile, the carefree feeling, the little Sonic 1/2 ditty, and all the rest.

Sonic & Tails were suitably good for how they were depicted back in those years, but it's really about the rest. Scratch & Grounder raised endearing incompetence to an art form (and that's saying something, since aside from them and Orbot/Cubot, I tend to dislike the incompetent joke characters), and Coconuts was someone we could relate to in pursuing a dream we'll never fulfill. But the real star is, of course, Dr. Robotnik. With the voice of the late and great Long John Baldry and design of the mad Milton Knight, he completely stole every scene he was in (then again, he does that in any game/adaptation anyways), and with his devious schemes, infamous memes, recurring leitmotif and wrrrretched personality, he became the man your man could roll his R's like. Hell, even the way he walks is eye-catching. But amazingly of all, despite being on the extreme comical end of the scale, he could be legitimately threatening and clever now and then. Just look at the Mass Transit Trouble episode for instance.

The Sonic Sez sections are notorious (and not just for certain memes), they may have been all the rage with many other 80's/90's series, half the time Sonic's amusingly contradicting his own lessons (don't talk about being careful on the road when you're standing in the middle of the road), and some of them were downright small-time or ridiculous (Lessons about boredom? Claiming that being attacked by dangerous chaps isn't a good enough reason to call the police?), but I feel they were overall some of the better examples in cartoons, and they did a good enough job.

The plots may be nothing new, the animation may range from laughable to mediocre 80% of the time, and some of the other (and often one-shot) characters may come off as weird (but I was right enough with most of them - Captain Memo was a jolly good fellow), but it was still a wonderful series, and animation and outright craziness aside, you could tell they tried their best to make a genuine Sonic experience and didn't hamfist it just because "it was for kids, and kids will watch anything".

As with most things I enjoy, I don't really have a true "favourite" episode, but as with others here (again), I can definitely agree that the Chaos Emerald Saga was one of the series' best moments. And I suggest to you that if you want to get a start on the series (and for some reason don't feel like looking at them in order), I highly suggest the four episodes in that saga are ideal to not give you an unfortunate first experience.

So yeah. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Fuck yeah.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 5

I remember when AoStH aired on a long-defunct British Cable channel known as TCC (The Children's Channel) at 11:30am and 2pm. It also aired on Channel 4 very early in the morning in the mid 90's. The funny thing about it's TCC airings was that the channel made no distinction between AoStH and SatAM and oddly enough would play AoStH's credits to SatAM's despite SatAM having it's own distinct credits, so it would turn out to be a case of wondering which show TCC would air.

I used to love AoStH. I just couldn't wait for the airing times and would really try not to miss it. At that time, AoStH and SatAM were the only Sonic media I knew of that featured Sonic, Tails and Robotnik with voices and placed into different scenario's, giving them more elaborative and vivid portrayals than that of the games and I lapped that up as a wee, what, 7-8 year old who adores Sonic?

The show hasn't aged gracefully at all and now I consider it very abrasive and annoying. Nostalgia goggles really doesn't factor into my views of this cartoon because it's annoying characters, abysmal animation, bizarre insanity and incredibly cliche and formulaic plots doesn't garner much positive attention from me anymore. Still, it was a cool show in my 7 year old eyes and I still remember how my father laughed rather hard at a scene in "Musta been a beautiful baby" when Baby Robotnik steals a skipping rope from two Elephant girls and they shrug their shoulders and use their trunks as a skipping rope instead XD

I love Aosth, it's by far my favourite Sonic series. I rewatched the whole thing lately and was worried it might just be the nostalgia that made me like it but it's a genuinely great show. It's funny, it's got it's educational quota and it's got a lot of heart.

The characters are great, it's the only time Sonic's dude with a 'tude character really works, Tails is adorable, The SSSSS are great fun and Robotnik's just fucking awesome.

"Ah Sonic, If I knew you were coming, I'd have poisoned a cake!"

Oh, this show. I only got into it last year when looking more into the early things of Sonic I had missed, and I told myself that I would watch all the Sonic shows starting with this on. Been a year and tried it twice, but I still haven't found the time to do it.

The show itself, though, is an absolute classic. I completely fell in love with it when I watched the first episode and found it very memorable. As to watching the entire series, I plan on trying again from the beginning after E3.

Yes, the animation might not be up to today's standards, but the slapstick of it is something only few truly get and enjoy. And I am one of those people. I only wish I could say the same about my friends.

Edited by DarkRula

I've always been amused by this show, although as entertaining as it's silliness can be, my favourite thing about it was Sonic and Tails' friendship/brotherly bonding. The "L word" scene, and the episode it comes from, is one of my favourites. More moments like that would have been great.

I find Robotnik in this cartoon to be a lot better compared to the other two DiC 'botniks, at least he actually left his base in quite a few episodes instead of remaining behind the scenes most of the time. I liked how over the top he was in terms of evilness, to the point where he basically tried to outlaw fun (more specifically, stuff like music), although as hilarious as it is it's also kind of horrifying if you think about it. He really, really doesn't want anyone to be happy.

There's really not much else to say .. it's probably the most entertaining of the DiC cartoons, but it's hardly my ideal for a Sonic cartoon, if that makes any sense. If there's ever a new one I'd prefer it take inspiration from the OVA in terms of tone and action scenes, etc.

AoStH is the single greatest thing to come out of DiC ever.

There's just something about it that's timeless to me; stuff that was funny because I was little back then is funny now because of how goofy it is.  Robotnik's status as a memetic god is hilarious, and Scratch and Grounder are actually GENUINELY funny.  It's just...fantastic.

Sometimes I think "being a Sonic fan sucks", but then I look back at this show and know it's all worth it.

Edited by Ridley

Tails is soooo cute! I love how adorably childish and yet still good in technology he is. And his voice acting is great, too.

Tails' voice here is my favourite Tails voice that is actually done by a little boy.

Unpopular Opinion: AoSTH might just be a show I like only because of its affiliation with Sonic.  Rather, let me rephrase that, I probably only gave it a chance because of Sonic.

It's a great show.  I love the obnoxious, off-the-wall nature.  I love the characters, the settings, the plots, etc.  But I'd be lying if I said the show didn't look and feel really cheap.  It comes across as incredibly unimaginative, in my opinion, and sort of just seems to haphazardly throw every stereotypical slapstick comedy trope at us without anything really interesting or special to add to it.

With that said, I love the show, but I don't think it's by any means "special" or "memorable" or even "appealing" to many people outside the Sonic fandome.  Most non-Sonic fans I show it to just think it's "all right" at best.  They laugh at the jokes and thoroughly enjoy themselves, but don't leave feeling like they have to see more.  I think if it weren't a Sonic show, I might feel the same way.  To me, Sonic plays a much less integral part of the show and served only as a motivator for me to look into and continue watching the series.  If they replced Sonic with Speedy Gonzales, the actual quality of the show would probably remain largely unchanged.

Of course, it did contribute the "pingas" and "that's no good" memes (which is either a good or a bad thing depending on your own brand of humor) and it did introduce me to the late, great Long John Baldry (which is definitely a good thing), so perhaps the show is especially memorable in that regard.  On its own merits, however, I think the show is forgettable.  But then, if I were to be fair, all the criticisms I direct at this show could probably be said about any Sonic show.  The difference is that I know plenty of non-Sonic fans that loved SatAM and even Sonic X.  I even know some people who only like SatAM and some people who only like Sonic X.  I don't think I know anyone who likes AoSTH without liking some other form of Sonic media.

I'm not saying I dislike the show.  I love it.  I could watch it pretty much every day of the week, but if I were asked if I recommended it, I probably wouldn't unless the person in question was a Sonic fan.

• Thumbs Up 3

AoStH was the superior 90s Sonic cartoon as far as I'm concerned (though I still like the others....well, SAT/AM at least). I was about 7 or 8 when it came out and it was my favourite show out of anything else on at the time.

I loved how colourful the world was, the total bromance between Sonic and Tails was wonderful. I love the characters, Jaleel White was the voice of my childhood, Tails in particular had a great voice since he was actually a kid before puberty stole him from us, Scratch and Grounder made me lol so hard. On that note, AoStH Robotnik is the best Robotnik (dat voice).

The whole thing was such a zany and colourful contrast to SAT/AM which obviously took a much darker and serious tone and I always thought it was great that we had both shows to portray the same characters in two very different scenarios.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say it's my most favourite out of all the Sonic tv shows. I grew up watching AOSTH and loved every episode despite what other people may think of the show i thought it was flawless. Jim Cummings was a fine voice over for Dr Robotnik and other characters. But i thought he hit the nail on the head  with Dr Robotnik's voice and suited the part really well. was a true legend and a great Voice overg