Awoo.

Sony @ "E399" "It was the Summer of 2013... and we danced... how we danced"

Badnik Mechanic

. Nintendo haven't even remotely considered DRM in any of their systems yet Sony deserve praise because they were? I just don't get that part.

Hey can you use your nintendo profile on another system?

I just don't see why they are so deserving of praise for doing what should be expected of them. Nintendo haven't even remotely considered DRM in any of their systems yet Sony deserve praise because they were? I just don't get that part.

Because that possibility was in the air during that conference, and SONY had kept quiet on it until now. Nintendo had they gone before Sony and said something similar, they would have gotten the same praise. The thing is we don't want this drm shit, and we let it be known that YES this is how you do shit.

Also, its nice to kick Microsoft in the nut sack and tell them to fuck off.

Edited by Noel

I just don't see why they are so deserving of praise for doing what should be expected of them. Nintendo haven't even remotely considered DRM in any of their systems yet Sony deserve praise because they were? I just don't get that part.

Because Sony not doing it is the thing that would make Microsoft look like idiots, and Sony are the ones who had kept as tight lipped as possible about it making people worry that they would.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought the topic was of restricting game lending and selling? Nintendo doesn't prevent that at all.

I just don't see why Sony deserve outright praise for this. The fact that they were even considering it was terrible.

Edited by EuroMIX

PS4

-No DRM 
-No online required 
-No Kinect required 
-Sharing is allowed 
-Used games are allowed 
-$399 for PS4 with 8GB GDDR5 

VS. 

Xbox One
-Kinect required 
-Online required 
-Used games not allowed 
-Sharing not allowed 
-DRM 
-$499 for Xbox One with 8GB DDR3

Edited by Stasis

I thought the topic was of restricting game lending and selling? Nintendo doesn't prevent that at all.

You said they havn't considered DRM or restrictions in any of their systems. But they have.

The difference is that Nintendo is different than Sony in one area; 3rd party support.  Unlike Nintendo who has franchises like Mario Kart that sells gangbusters and systems, Sony depends on a mix of their own games AND third parties, the ones who would push for DRM for the PS4.  The fact that Sony said FU to 3rd parties with DRM and still have their support is very impressive and should be commended.

Edited by RK64

Aren't you responded to a different question though?

Besides I'd rather have backwards compatibility instead of profile compatibility.

It was a cool conference, but didn't seem so "OMG BEST CONFERENCE EVAR!!!!" 

Edited by The Kid

TBH I agree that Sony doesn't deserve praise for simply not being an evil empire. But they do deserve praise for that awesome moment where they basically said "FUCK YOU, MICROSOFT!"

I.... Just... Cancelled my order.

Why?

I really want one. Based on this conference and their teaser a few months back, I really really want one. But... it's a lot of money, lol even though technically it's really well priced and theres still a few things I don't yet know about it that I want to which might affect 'when' I want to buy it.

I will be a PS4 owner one day, but... might not be day 1... sigh...

*Sings "If I were a rich man..."*

Just posting here for the obligatory ^5 to Sony for the massive destruction of the X-One.

You said they havn't considered DRM or restrictions in any of their systems. But they have.

I was talking about physical games which is what the issue was regarding. Digital DRM is another beast entirely.

Why?

I really want one. Based on this conference and their teaser a few months back, I really really want one. But... it's a lot of money, lol even though technically it's really well priced and theres still a few things I don't yet know about it that I want to which might affect 'when' I want to buy it.

Don't be sad Hogfather. Tis Christmas could be a chance!

Because Sony not doing it is the thing that would make Microsoft look like idiots, and Sony are the ones who had kept as tight lipped as possible about it making people worry that they would.

Actually, I thought HogFather posted a while back that Sony said there wouldn't be DRM? Maybe not.

Why?

It's June. You've got 5 months, £75 a month is doable. Hell, That's what I'm going have to do!

I just don't see why Sony deserve outright praise for this. The fact that they were even considering it was terrible.

Because the fact of the matter is that Nintendo not doing it if the other two did would just mean that Nintendo is off doing their own thing again. It's harsh, but that's the way it has been since 1996.

Sony not doing it, and going out of their way to rub Microsoft's face in it to the (not at all paid for like Microsoft's was) standing ovation of everyone in the room that they aren't doing it, is a big fucking deal regardless of if they considered doing it. Sony drew the line in the sand for what is and is not acceptable and made it clear that they were making it a point to do so; and that's a good thing regardless of if they did it as a stunt to win praise so long as they stick to it. Nintendo didn't draw the line in the sand because they were never playing in the sandbox to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm praising Sony for having the best of both worlds. Nintendo has no bullshit DRM restrictions, but fucking nothing outside of their own library. Xbox is the exact opposite.

Sony?

why-cant-we-have-bothavp2g.gif

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's June. You've got 5 months, £75 a month is doable. Hell, That's what I'm going have to do!

Yeah but the problem is... I'm going to be at college full time come september (I hope) so I won't have time for full time J.O.B.  Then theres fees for education and unless theres any male strip clubs odds are I won't be making the money.

Actually, I thought HogFather posted a while back that Sony said there wouldn't be DRM? Maybe not.

I definately heard it.

So did destructoid. http://www.destructoid.com/sony-details-exactly-how-to-share-games-on-ps4-255956.phtml

Sony hit a homerun with their console news. Price point, dodging the DRM bullet and That sexy design were all right where they needed to be. As big a deal as games are to these conferences, that news is what was most important this year and that is what Sony brought their A game with.

But like with the DRM, 3rd parties were always going to be an issue for Nintendo. You're basically giving Sony praise for retaining the status quo. Meeting expectations isn't that exceptional.

But like with the DRM, 3rd parties were always going to be an issue for Nintendo. You're basically giving Sony praise for retaining the status quo. Meeting expectations isn't that exceptional.

But their big "fuck you, Microsoft" moment was just soooo goooood.

Edited by Iwata-Kong
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but the problem is... I'm going to be at college full time come september (I hope) so I won't have time for full time J.O.B.  Then theres fees for education and unless theres any male strip clubs odds are I won't be making the money.

Aww..chin up buddy. There's always next summer.

But their big "fuck you, Microsoft" moment was just soooo goooood.

Yeah they pretty much just said, "get down on yer knees and open yer mouths" to MS.

Edited by Abominal Taz

Remind me again why everyone's ready to shit their pants at the next 3D Mario, then?

• Thumbs Up 1

You're confusing what Sony was expected to do with what people were hoping Sony would do. They weren't at all the same thing for a lot of people (not the least of which the defeatist "this is the way it is so get used to it" types); especially not after Microsoft dove headfirst and Sony clammed up without a peep.

For sure, I doubt even the people that expected Sony to go status quo expected Sony would go out of their way to pretty much mock Microsoft for what they did.