Awoo.

Sony @ "E399" "It was the Summer of 2013... and we danced... how we danced"

Badnik Mechanic

I feel bad because I see a lot of people saying there wasn't anything too interesting for PS4 or just at the Sony thing in general, besides Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3, and yet I was flipping my shit for a lot of the games shown, ESPECIALLY the great (ACTUALLY) Indie game support they showed. Also a ton of the games they showed were bloody COLOURFUL! Whoa, right?! :3 The only iffy thing was paying for online multiplayer, but since PS+ is so awesome already, I planned to support it regardless of if it let me play online or not. Still BS that the online won't be free, don't get me wrong, but everything else with the system and PS+ is great already, so for me personally I don't really care.

Same here. I'm surprised people here are saying they're not interested in any of the games Sony showed, while for me they were packed full of them. Infamous 3, Destiny, FFXV, KH3(!!!), Mad Max, hell I'm even interested in some of the Indy games they showcased.

Loss?

We don't know that for sure yet.

House said they're selling it at a loss (obviously) but that it's far, far less than the PS3.

Probably at PS1/PS2 levels and this time they're charging for online play so it'll be profitable in 1-2 years unless nobody buys them and in that case the industry is doomed.

House said they're selling it at a loss (obviously) but that it's far, far less than the PS3.

Probably at PS1/PS2 levels and this time they're charging for online play so it'll be profitable in 1-2 years unless nobody buys them and in that case the industry is doomed.

Ahh I see. 

Yeah, I don't see them making that kind of $300 loss that they did with the PS3. 

They didn't announce LBP, Ratchet, God of War or any established franchise for PS4 this E3 but I bet all my money that these franchises will see day on PS4 eventually. Maybe even next year.

I wonder if the Ratchet series is still alive with Insomniac ditching Sony in favor for Microsoft (with Sunset Overdrive); I think Sanzaru's next game might be a new Ratchet game though as they didn't show anything at the conference. 

Late to the party, but here's my basic thoughts.

I'm not really fussed by the games announced thus far, but there are certainly some heavy hitters there.

But, let's face it, the real story was the console itself. The price, and the consumer policies are all just right.

Console launch is Sony's to lose.

Same here. I'm surprised people here are saying they're not interested in any of the games Sony showed, while for me they were packed full of them. Infamous 3, Destiny, FFXV, KH3(!!!), Mad Max, hell I'm even interested in some of the Indy games they showcased.

The problem I had with Sony's conference is that while those are all quality games, with the exception of three newly announced titles everything was stuff we already know about. The drumming up of indie support was great and I've been all over both Sony and Nintendo making this a thing, but we'd known this since it's been announced, and Vita continues to be shoved under the rug. Half of the conference leading up to PS4 information (and even some of that) was all a bunch of fluff that didn't need dwelling on (The Last of Us? Like, really?) and that keeps hammering home this constant occurrence over Sony generally being complete drags with too many game play demonstrations than necessary.

Infamous 3 and Destiny are things we've known about and the latter especially is a game we'll see literally everywhere that isn't Wii U. FFXV is great news despite them taking eons making it. KH3 I feel is too early to get excited about knowing Square Enix. The Last Guardian is still MIA. Most of everything else was a good showcase of multiplatform but nothing that pushed me over the edge in getting the console.

The only thing I feel got the most attention was Sony's jabs at Microsoft, but at the end of the day even I have to sit back and think "... wait, is the bar seriously this low that we have to say that 'Sony won' this conference for capitalizing on Microsoft turning the status quo into a feature?" It seriously made me look back and think that the industry has seriously become this low that this is even earth shattering news, despite being good news all the same. $399 is another story though.

I've already said that in essence I'm getting the same feeling about the PS4 as I am the Vita. Everything that it does as a "console" seems to hit the right buttons, but I've not seen anything yet that warrants excitement apart from the technology. This console is launching this year. We know what games will be available at launch, but what exclusive experiences await beyond that?

It's surprising really, looking back at this entire E3. Everyone this year has had a balance more so than ever in terms of a ratio between quality and quantity, and it was all marred by one or other factors. Microsoft's press conference was arguably the best in terms of overall variety of line-up but no one cares about that because people are all worried about the Xbox One being an anti-consumerists wet dream. Sony had the most padded conference with a surprising lack of unannounced exclusives but we all loved the console itself and two unexpected reveals. Nintendo had the most streamlined conference cut free of the fluff and finally announcing the quality titles people heard they'd get but it got undermined by audience expectations of the games being entirely different from what they hoped for and generally no third party announcements makes the Wii U still look like it's resting on it's laurels.

At this point it's basically a question of who and what you're more of a supporter of. Every console this year got shown it's own action game, it's own RPG, platformer, casual title etcetera. All games shown were arguably great, it just comes down to a matter of priorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem I had with Sony's conference is that while those are all quality games, with the exception of three newly announced titles everything was stuff we already know about. The drumming up of indie support was great and I've been all over both Sony and Nintendo making this a thing, but we'd known this since it's been announced, and Vita continues to be shoved under the rug. Half of the conference leading up to PS4 information (and even some of that) was all a bunch of fluff that didn't need dwelling on (The Last of Us? Like, really?) and that keeps hammering home this constant occurrence over Sony generally being complete drags with too many game play demonstrations than necessary.

Infamous 3 and Destiny are things we've known about and the latter especially is a game we'll see literally everywhere that isn't Wii U. FFXV is great news despite them taking eons making it. KH3 I feel is too early to get excited about knowing Square Enix. The Last Guardian is still MIA. Most of everything else was a good showcase of multiplatform but nothing that pushed me over the edge in getting the console.

The only thing I feel got the most attention was Sony's jabs at Microsoft, but at the end of the day even I have to sit back and think "... wait, is the bar seriously this low that we have to say that 'Sony won' this conference for capitalizing on Microsoft turning the status quo into a feature?" It seriously made me look back and think that the industry has seriously become this low that this is even earth shattering news, despite being good news all the same. $399 is another story though.

I've already said that in essence I'm getting the same feeling about the PS4 as I am the Vita. Everything that it does as a "console" seems to hit the right buttons, but I've not seen anything yet that warrants excitement apart from the technology. This console is launching this year. We know what games will be available at launch, but what exclusive experiences await beyond that?

It's surprising really, looking back at this entire E3. Everyone this year has had a balance more so than ever in terms of a ratio between quality and quantity, and it was all marred by one or other factors. Microsoft's press conference was arguably the best in terms of overall variety of line-up but no one cares about that because people are all worried about the Xbox One being an anti-consumerists wet dream. Sony had the most padded conference with a surprising lack of unannounced exclusives but we all loved the console itself and two unexpected reveals. Nintendo had the most streamlined conference cut free of the fluff and finally announcing the quality titles people heard they'd get but it got undermined by audience expectations of the games being entirely different from what they hoped for and generally no third party announcements makes the Wii U still look like it's resting on it's laurels.

At this point it's basically a question of who and what you're more of a supporter of. Every console this year got shown it's own action game, it's own RPG, platformer, casual title etcetera. All games shown were arguably great, it just comes down to a matter of priorities.

Sony is going to have a massive line up of great 1st party games, the thing is that they want to have our focus on the now rather than the next year.  I have no doubt that Sony is going to show off Uncharted 4, a GOW reboot, a 3d LBP platformer, and potentially a reboot of some classic ps1/ps2 franchises like Midevil and Jak next year.  You make a good point though, the hardware is great and the games announced were good, but nothing was 'amazing' to really sell the system.

I guess we will be wowed by next gen in general next year, but for now Sony looks to be the best choice for now :)

Uh-oh...

Jack Tretton appeared on GTTV and fielded questions about the PlayStation 4, eventually tackling the issue of pre-owned games, trading and lending.

"The DRM decision for third-party games will be up to publishers," he said.

When asked what Sony would do if a third party publisher approaches the company and says it wants to restrict the trading of its games, Tretton responded: "We've certainly stated that with our first party games we're not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform.

May not be as great as we thought.

It's the same as with PS3.

Let's see if any publisher has the balls to work the extra mile to implement that shit on their game.

I'm sure it won't backfire at all.

Look, let EA implement their own DRM stuff in their games. At least then, we can't blame Sony for that. People can boycott EA games until they give it up and remove DRM from their games.

Nintendo didn't want any of that and while it was good for them to stand up to EA, EA's relationship with Nintendo is destroyed and games like Mirror's Edge 2 won't make it to Wii U.

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

As far as third party goes, anything that's a PS4/Xbone multiplats might as well be exclusive in my eyes, and I'm getting really pumped seeing all the support in such a huge variety of genres.

Watch_Dogs looks amazing. inFamous looks amazing. Destiny looks amazing. Drive_Club looks like a lot of fun and is free. Knack still has my interest. All the indies (especially the one by the Bastion team) have me really excited. Killzone looks really solid, as always. Final Fantasy XV rocked my fucking world with that trailer. Kingdom Hearts 3 is visually gorgeous. That new game by Santa Monica looks really interesting. And this is all stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Compared to Microsoft? I'd like to play Crimson Dragon and the new Insomniac game, but that's about it. Their conference was solid, but all I really saw were a bunch of games I get to play on PS4.

Nintendo delivered what they said they would, and I found their lineup the most boring as a result. Super Mario 3D World was incredibly disappointing, Smash is Smash, and I don't think anyone ever asked for Retro's game to be DKCR2.

I agree with Carbo in that this gen is really about who and what you like, but hasn't it always been like that? Which gamer bought a Wii if they weren't interested in Nintendo games? Which gamer bought a PS3 if they didn't simply like Sony and their exclusives better? It's the same deal this time, though with things mixed up a bit as a result of Microsoft fans jumping ship.

If you want some Nintendo experiences, get a Wii U. If you want to see the rest of the games industry beyond that, choose between a PS4 or Xbone, as it's extremely doubtful Nintendo's going to deliver on anything that doesn't have their name on it.

This E3 didn't introduce this concept, nor did it support it any more than the previous E3's did. The only difference is that everyone brought their A-game this time to win some supporters. And it was a damn exciting show.

My personal conference ranking would go like this:

Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo

All of whom gave us their best conferences in years.

• Thumbs Up 3

Do you guys REALLY think third-parties will release one version with and one version without DRM? No, I'm sorry, but any multiplat third-party game will most likely have DRM.

Do you guys REALLY think third-parties will release one version with and one version without DRM? No, I'm sorry, but any multiplat third-party game will most likely have DRM.

Maybe you should wait until you see what the inrastructure is before you start freaking out.

Xbox One has all those DRM restrictions because they've made it clear that the system and the online service is built so it has to do that. Publishers don't have a choice it seems.

Here publishers have a choice and not all of them are going to be EA and slap DRM on every line of code they can. The system appears to be a lot less restrictive on both the consumer and the publisher.

My personal conference ranking would go like this:

Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo

All of whom gave us their best conferences in years.

You're shockingly optimistic this year!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah all third parties are evil. =/

Why not? Some of those multiplat games this gen had DRM in one version (PC) but not in others (consoles).

If they wanted they could've done it on PS3 and 360. Besides, any PS4 game with DRM will be their fault as opposed to Microsoft's and they're going to take the heat for that.

I'm only repeating what I've heard someone else say. I REALLY hope it's not the case but if it is, then I'm done.

The Last Guardian is still MIA.

The Last Guardian is 'on hiatus'

lastguard.jpg

The Last Guardian is "on hiatus," Sony CEO Jack Tretton told Game Trailers.

"We got so many projects out there from so many great teams, projects never ultimately go away," Tretton said. "So The Last Guardian is certainly not going away, but it's on hiatus right now."

Last we heard, The Last Guardian designer Fumito Ueda said the game was still in development, but Sony controlled any actual launch plans. The Last Guardian has been on (and off) our radar since E3 2009, when it was announced for PS3, coming from the team behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.   

You're shockingly optimistic this year!

Haha, it's the start of a new generation. Naturally I'm excited.

I was really impressed by this year's third party showings. Sony bored us for a while with some stuff nobody cares about, then proceeded to blow out fucking brains out with games of all different genres. Microsoft showed off a ton too, though in a slightly more balanced fashion (and with less stuff that caters to me, personally), and Nintendo showed what we've expected for the past two years.

Platformers? Racers? FPS? TPS? Fighters? Puzzle games? No matter what console you buy, you've got a huge variety of some great looking games. It's all up to your preference in first party (and your stance on anti-consumerist Orwellian bullshit) this year, and I really like that.

Back to the DRM talk we had earlier, it has been confirmed by Sony via Engadget that no matter what happens, people can still trade in their games or lend the game to a friend regardless of any third-party implements. There will be NO used game restrictions.

The online multiplayer part though, that's different...and it's just like the online passes with the PS3.

In short - nothing has changed between the PS3 and PS4 with used games.

Sony itself has responded with the following: "Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/playstation-4-drm-policies-third-party/

Back to the DRM talk we had earlier, it has been confirmed by Sony via Engadget that no matter what happens, people can still trade in their games or lend the game to a friend regardless of any third-party implements. There will be NO used game restrictions.

Damn. Talk about a swift kick in the nuts to Xbone.

Damn. Talk about a swift kick in the nuts to Xbone.

Well maybe to us. But as long XONE has over a million people buying their box they will earn a lot more money than Sony and Nintendo would. And Microsoft don't care about the sale numbers, as long they gain a crapload of profit.

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune

Well maybe to us. But as long XONE has over a million people buying their box they will earn a lot more money than Sony and Nintendo would. And Microsoft don't care about the sale numbers, as long they gain a crapload of profit.

Oh they absolutely do care about Sales figures. The whole point of the Xbox, is to dominate as many living rooms in the world as possible. Microsoft are pushing an ecosystem, more than they are pushing a console. That's why the XBone has Windows support and HyperVisor, and a cool 3GB chunk of its system RAM dedicated to the OS.

They want something that is as close as possible to a monopoly as the industry will allow, and for that they need sales. A niche audience may bring them profit, but it doesn't push their agenda.

Oh they absolutely do care about Sales figures. The whole point of the Xbox, is to dominate as many living rooms in the world as possible. Microsoft are pushing an ecosystem, more than they are pushing a console. That's why the XBone has Windows support and HyperVisor, and a cool 3GB chunk of its system RAM dedicated to the OS.

They want something that is as close as possible to a monopoly as the industry will allow, and for that they need sales. A niche audience may bring them profit, but it doesn't push their agenda.

If they DO care about sales figures, they wouldn't have done what they did.