Awoo.

Ubisoft @ E3: U Better Bi There *Jazz Hands*

Detective Shadzter

Uhm... What? What are you even talking about gimmicks? The whole gameplay "gimmick" is controlling your environment, of course it's going to be like that. :/

Thats precisely it.

It's going to end up like Hitman Absolution did. You have to wait until certain 'pieces' are in place in order for any of the stuff you see in the trailers will work. And the first few levels will start off really good, then it'll become repetative and frustrating to do objectives and eventually you'll just resort to a single tactic as you'll just want the game over with.

And thats what happens with every game like this which has 'oh you can do objectives via multiple means,' you're either waiting and hoping the Ai will fall into place at the right time or getting frustrated that the game doesn't act how you want it to.

You've seen trailers like 'change the traffic lights to cause accidents,' Okay... but unless the ingame traffic is at a specific setting thats not going to work so I gotta wait...

Turn out the lights... right ok... then what? Oh I switch to a stealth approach that I've done in all the other stages where I've turned out the lights?

Hack the lock to open the door... I guess I'd be fucked if it was locked with a key then?

It's a gimicky game, and I bet that when it gets released a lot of people will complain about it.

I only watch Ubisoft's conference for Aisha Tyler anyways. <3<3<3

You need help. 

Why is everyone so surprised that the Wii U is getting less than stellar third party support? I thought it was common knowledge that less powerful tech would get the short end of the stick, not to mention the fact that it's a Nintendo console, a company who generally hasn't gotten along with third parties since the N64 days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of all the third parties doing conferences, Ubisoft was the one I was banking on for my 2014-onwards Wii U fix (Nintendo's conference is just about titles out in 2013 in North America). They let me down, pure and simple. For that, I am bitterly disappointed and they can stick their "next gen" shit up their fat arses.

Thats precisely it.

It's going to end up like Hitman Absolution did. You have to wait until certain 'pieces' are in place in order for any of the stuff you see in the trailers will work. And the first few levels will start off really good, then it'll become repetative and frustrating to do objectives and eventually you'll just resort to a single tactic as you'll just want the game over with.

You've seen trailers like 'change the traffic lights to cause accidents,' Okay... but unless the ingame traffic is at a specific setting thats not going to work so I gotta wait...

Turn out the lights... right ok... then what? Oh I switch to a stealth approach that I've done in all the other stages where I've turned out the lights?

Hack the lock to open the door... I guess I'd be fucked if it was locked with a key then?

It's a gimicky game, and I bet that when it gets released a lot of people will complain about it.

Well what do you expect from a game where the main protagonist is a hacker? There is no other way you can do it, it's a stealth game or an offensive game where you use the environment against your pursuers, you're effectively turning technology against your oppressors, of course the game is going to become samey because it's open world, like any other game like it, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Driver etc. etc. Christ, I'm not even sure what you were even expecting out of this game? 

Why is everyone so surprised that the Wii U is getting less than stellar third party support? I thought it was common knowledge that less powerful tech would get the short end of the stick, not to mention the fact that it's a Nintendo console, a company who generally hasn't gotten along with third parties since the N64 days.

It was supposed to be changing is all :/ it just doesn't make sense how it's only gotten worse.

EDIT: What Patticus said.

Edited by SuperLink

Ubisoft has been a stalwart supporter of Nintendo for years now, even while other companies deserted it.

I want to know why Nintendo is losing even its closest friends. I want Reggie to give me answers. I want someone to pointedly ask Ubisoft what the shit it's playing at.

Maybe Nintendo deciding to forego E3 for their own Directs had something to do with why no-one really wanted to show off their stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm just a little worn out on movie-like mo-capped-ultra-real-character-designs-in-a-dark-and-gritty-environment-in general. Bonus points if there's a gun involved in some shape or form. No offense to the actual games, as alot of them are really great, and I need to play more of them so I'm not blindly judging (I'm mainly a Platformer/ RPG/Puzzle game person tbh,) but sometimes I wonder what more creative and bright games with AAA budgets could be like in modern times. Sunset Overdrive from Microsoft's conference and stuff like Sony's "Knack" look closest to what I want to see more in the industry going forward, if possible. Heck even just more games like Mirror's Edge, which is similar to most other AAA games this past gen, still tried alot of new things for the genre, like dropping the gun every once in awhile and also being pretty bright, colorful and nice to look at. [/just saiyan]

Ubisoft has been a stalwart supporter of Nintendo for years now, even while other companies deserted it.

I want to know why Nintendo is losing even its closest friends. I want Reggie to give me answers. I want someone to pointedly ask Ubisoft what the shit it's playing at.

Exactly.

Nintendo support has never been this outright awful before. It's really really bad.

It usually gets Japanese dev support at least, where are they all? In fact what happened to all the old games franchises..? Everything now is just [insert imitation of popular western franchise]

• Thumbs Up 1

Well what do you expect from a game where the main protagonist is a hacker? There is no other way you can do it, it's a stealth game or an offensive game where you use the environment against your pursuers, you're effectively turning technology against your oppressors, of course the game is going to become samey because it's open world,

What is the difference between using your super dooper phone to hack the door... and pushing the X button to open it?

What is the difference between using your super dooper phone to open the train doors... and pushing the X button to open it.

You are using a phone to control technology, but for the most part you're not going to be using it to a large degree, even if the first trailer we saw, the guy only does something major once, otherwise it's just small things that don't really impact the wider world.

And they've not done anything in this conferece to change that, unless someone can convince me that a CG/Live action trailer is somehow evidence of gameplay?

The door in the trailer had an electronic lock on it with a touch screen swipe password, from everything I've seen collectively he barely uses his phone and hacking unless he absolutely has to i.e. surrounded by cops, no escape, so he forces the train to stop and drops down on it, re-activating it to get away, or to stop the cop cars from pursuing him he lifts the traffic bollards.

He still opens doors, scrambles across bridges and rooftops, and can fight his way out of a situation or simply stealth his way around, it's pretty much a post modern Assassin's creed, without haystacks.

SuperLink, on 10 Jun 2013 - 19:36, said:

It was supposed to be changing is all :/ it just doesn't make sense how it's only gotten worse.

EDIT: What Patticus said.

Perhaps the generally bad PR, EA's sudden drop of support, low sales for both the console itself and third party games, and canceled conference all have something to do with it?

Patticus, on 10 Jun 2013 - 19:38, said:

True. It is odd that after Ubi said "We'll be bringing our games across as many platforms as possible." this happens. Although I'm pretty sure an explanation from them would just consist of PR bs rather than an honest to goodness explanation.

Perhaps the generally bad PR, EA's sudden drop of support, low sales for both the console itself and third party games, and canceled conference all have something to do with it?

Unlikely; Ubisoft is known for supporting Nintendo even in pretty bloody dire times, and if bad PR was a factor then what the hell were they doing mentioning the Xbox One, a console which is enduring the worst PR of any system I can remember? Perhaps MS and Sony paid them megabucks to not show anything Nintendian? That's the only explanation I can think of. Either way, fuck them.

Maybe Nintendo deciding to forego E3 for their own Directs had something to do with why no-one really wanted to show off their stuff.

I actually think this makes a lot of sense. These third parties love the glamour of an E3 presentation.

Remember when years ago, when E3 was more open to the public, how loud the show floor would get? The venues would just keep getting louder and louder just to counter each other, and then they put a stop to it, and the media at the time believed E3 would die eventually.

I mean, you can tell that Ubisoft's presentations are a lot cheaper and less popular too; getting their 15 seconds of fame on one of the Big Three's podiums helps them out a lot, so I am sure they felt a little betrayed and that lack of Wii U mentions was their way of retribution.

That lack of Wii U support is Nintendo's own doing; they purposefully make a weaker console than the Xbone/PS4 so it makes porting games to the system more time consuming/money and since they don't even get much money from Nintendo systems due to Nintendo's own franchises, they see little point in giving the system support.

On the flipside, maybe The Club and/or The new Tom Clancy game have Wii U versions, but Ubi is saving them for the Nintendo Direct to be shown as a supporter of the system alongside WB and Capcom.

That lack of Wii U support is Nintendo's own doing; they purposefully make a weaker console than the Xbone/PS4 so it makes porting games to the system more time consuming/money and since they don't even get much money from Nintendo systems due to Nintendo's own franchises, they see little point in giving the system support.

On the flipside, maybe The Club and/or The new Tom Clancy game have Wii U versions, but Ubi is saving them for the Nintendo Direct to be shown as a supporter of the system alongside WB and Capcom.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U was touted as being extremely easy to port games to. Developers just don't want to be bothered until it gets more of a consumer base. Even still, Ubisoft seems to be supplying a number of games to the Wii U.