Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: E3 Topic; Footage; More info

Woun

So the bounce is back. Interesting....

I wonder if the super bounce will be there as well.

I was reading up what this dude on Retro was saying.  He played the game at E3 and gave some impressions.  Elaborates on stuff like control and movement possibilities a little more:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31396&view=findpost&p=749984

Hello Everybody! I was meaning to post this a couple of days ago but Animal Crossing.

On Wednesday, I spent some time at E3. Most of it was playing Sonic Lost World.

First thing's first; It's 60fps. It's fucking hot.

I have to talk a bit about the game mechanics. Sonic's "geared" system is interesting, the triggers, aside from using to switch gears, they were kinda standalone moves. Here's what I gathered:

• LT — Your spindash. You hold the trigger to charge it up, let it go and you shoot off in the direction you're aiming for. It feels more like the SA2 spindash (I'll expand on that in a minute). Very quick, responsive, and can be used consecutively. From what I remember, you keep the momentum going a bit by holding forward.

• RT — The "mid gear" so to speak. This get's you into a faster speed if you're jogging around the stage, by holding the trigger. However, if you stand still and press RT, you get start your Super Peel Out Charge. Moving the joystick will have you zoom in that direction in high speed. If you let get of the trigger without picking a direction, the move cancels.

• Just moving the joystick w/o trigger gets sonic jogging around. Good speed for platforming. It's almost analogous to playing as SMG Luigi, but with precise control; snappy.

• The parkour system is interesting. There's no butting/gimmick to activate it. All you do is just run up a wall; tilting the joystick like you're going up a half-pipe. It's amazingly responsive, and if I remember correctly you can jump onto a wall if you're fast enough. Momentum plays a key role in staying on the wall; if you're good enough you can activate the geared running to get on the wall, then SA2-spindash to stay on the wall indefinitely. You can also jump from wall to wall while keeping the momentum. It's pretty nuts.

And yeah, there's some peculiar SA2 like things happening with Sonic's controls. Sonic stomp is replaced by the SA2 bounce (however you can only do it a finite amount of times). Sonic can cling on ledges automatically SA2 style; it's also pretty snappy and responsive. I'm probably speaking in hyperbole, but if you just hold RT and just go through the level, it kinda feels like you're playing SA2, but with faster acceleration/speed. Though jumping isn't as floaty as... a lot of his 3D past titles actually. Very snappy, responsive and has a lot of weight to it. You'll notice a recurring theme with everything I just said. But I agree with the poster who said that the controls may be too complex for casual/new players.

I played the first 2 levels in the demo, and watched someone played the third. Here's what I noticed:

Playing Windy Hill 1, One thing I noticed is Nintendo must've gave Eggman a lot of money because his deadly speed traps are everywhere. Spikes are everywhere, tons of badniks, even some that pop out of bushes/where you least expect it, and all of these placed in a way that "Boost(sorta)-to-win" is an improbability. However, boost-to-win/autoscripting sections are there... if you can find them. There are so many alternate paths and ways to get around. The video posted above looked like a there was a mach speed section to the game. I never found a way to get to that part, and I played the zone 3 times. Power-ups are wonderfully hidden in parts of the level; exploration is bountiful and pretty fun. I could easily spend 2+ minutes searching every path and crevice in the first stage part of Windy Hill 1 (before getting bounced up the the next part of the stage via the big springs). I really hope it's indicative of all the 3D levels. The new controls and parkour system works very well with the zaniness of the level design. This is a really really solid 3D sonic platforming.

Then came Desert Ruins 2.

As great the 3D was, it doesn't translate well in 2D quite as well. The main reason: Sonic's jump. Since his jump is influenced by the speed/momentum, and you are capped at essentially 2 speeds, manipulating your jump is hindered. I mentioned how pressing the RT starts the peel-out, but letting it go w/o going a direction cancels the move? Well that means you can't hold RT as a means to gain speed with your jump, and since holding RT WHILE going a direction shoots you off at top-speed, it gets a bit frustrating to time a longer jump. You basically have to walk->run->jump, which requires a lot of space... which I felt I didn't have in that zone. I kept using the double-jump to circumvent this, which I hope doesn't become a requirement/detriment in future levels. The slew of obstacles that was done well well in 3D feels a bit chaotic in 2D; I felt like I had to be in walking gear to progress, because I was bound to fuck something up if went too fast... which led to more double-jumping for longer jumps. And for some reason, Sonic felt a bit slower in that stage. I saw other people play that level the same way, and I hope not all the 2D parts of the game doesn't seem to be that all over the place.

I didn't play the Desert Ruins 3/Mach speed zone. I saw other people playing it and it seemed that they had a blast. It's more free-moving and I didn't see any evidence of side-stepping or full on boosting. It reminded me of running down tubes/halfpipes in Green Forest but polished and a whole zone dedicated to it. Alternate paths were also present in that zone.

I also played the first level of the 3DS version, but only for a little bit. It's 30fps but it's still pretty responsive. The first Zone felt like a larger/wider and more platform-y version of it's Wii-U counterpart, with less paths. I don't recall being chased by the big Caterkiller like in the screenshots/videos out there, but my hope is it's a discoverable event like the sections I mentioned before.

Yes, there was wisps (at least the lazer one), and it kind of throws you off your game, if you plan on Gotta-go-fasting; everything has to be done on the gamepad. Though it also seemed that using the wisp was crucial to progressing, which is good. In fact, when I used it, the only thing it did was put me a little bit farther into the stage, which I could've done in the same amount of time just running, because I had to stop and focus on the gamepad

Also, it's really pretty when up close. Like the little details, like animal buddies screaming for help inside the container, the way the enemies are animated. etc.

That's pretty much all my impressions with the game. I hope all this makes sense to everyone.

I found the control comparison between Windy Hill and Desert Ruins (Candy) to be quite interesting.  I'm still excited and keen to play this mainly to experiment with the controls and mechanics.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

No one mentioned how Sonic went into water in 3D and didn't drown?

No one mentioned how Sonic went into water in 3D and didn't drown?

Because it was hip deep water.  Unless it's Sonic 06 you don't drown in hip deep water.

• Thumbs Up 5

That was an awesome interview indeed! Best in...YEARS! I wonder when they are going to announce the third exclusive game...

I wonder what the third game actually is. A spinoff game, cross-over, storybook, another main series title, etc

> new information everywhere

> missed everything

I feel you, Inferno.

;-;

Unstable internet makes the Wii U gameplay look really nauseating so I can't form any good opinions now :/

Aaron is a beast lol. I hope the third game is part of the main series. I'm hoping, but probably not.

That was one badass interview!!! he handled it well, he seems like such a nice dude.

On other news: I think Im late to the party , but has anyone noticed that when Sonic homing attack´s Anton enemies, they get like tired or something and start walking slowly, but if you home attack AGAIN or jump, Sonic hops atop of em, resting on his back, I cant see if hes suffering or relaxing, but its a nice touch reminds me of Sonic CDs animation where he disables one of those rhino bug badniks (forgot the name) and rests on his back taunting him. In fact you can see it in this gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=giuhch_Xckc#at=152 from 2:32 to 2:38

That was one badass interview!!! he handled it well, he seems like such a nice dude.

On other news: I think Im late to the party , but has anyone noticed that when Sonic homing attack´s Anton enemies, they get like tired or something and start walking slowly, but if you home attack AGAIN or jump, Sonic hops atop of em, resting on his back, I cant see if hes suffering or relaxing, but its a nice touch reminds me of Sonic CDs animation where he disables one of those rhino bug badniks (forgot the name) and rests on his back taunting him. In fact you can see it in this gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=giuhch_Xckc#at=152 from 2:32 to 2:38

That's just a glitch.

One thing I noticed in that video is that Sonic does indeed have a steady increase of speed when you hold down the run button.

Some Badniks, like Anton and Snail Blaster, can't be easily beaten with a homing attack, jump or spindash; Sonic has to kick them instead. When Sonic hits an Anton with any of these moves (or if they're hit by an obstacle like the truffles in the Candy stage), it'll become enraged and next time it's hit with an ineffective attack it'll grab Sonic and carry him around for a bit. 

So yeah, don't know where you got the idea that it's a glitch from.

Some Badniks, like Anton and Snail Blaster, can't be easily beaten with a homing attack, jump or spindash; Sonic has to kick them instead. When Sonic hits an Anton with any of these moves (or if they're hit by an obstacle like the truffles in the Candy stage), it'll become enraged and next time it's hit with an ineffective attack it'll grab Sonic and carry him around for a bit. 

That's what it was doing? It looks like Sonic just got stuck on its back in his "hurt" animation.

I see. Itd be funnier if he was relaxing there xD But its still a nice touch!