Awoo.

Sonic Lost World: E3 Topic; Footage; More info

Woun

After seeing that video, I seriously need to question the whole learning curve complaint, I mean the guy died like 3 times on the same part when he could've easily avoided it.

How do you know it's easy to avoid?

There has just been two videos posted from different people both complained about the control difficulty and one of them said 'The homing attack is completely different' the other said 'double jumping doesn't work.'

That has has been the standard since Sonic Adventure.

That is his first time playing the game and unlike everybody here he's not been watching video after video after video.

To be perfectly frank... I wouldn't know how to use the wisp based on that, I would never think to use the touch pad since I wouldn't want to take my eyes off the screen not in a Sonic game when I'm supposed to be running at a high speed.

Furthermore, does anyone see any hints at all in the game or any explanations of how to use the wisp powers? Theres nothing. No ingame question mark icons, no loading screen hints. Using the touch pad would be the last thing you would think to use... Come to think of it... Why isn't the Wisp power mapped to a button? Does the gamepad not have enough?

More footage... 6 min of gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGkmp0gPtM

.... yeah controlling/figuring out this game looks like it's going to be an absolute bastard.

Wait a second.

At 3:33 in the video, is Sonic doing a Super Peel Out charge?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait a second.

At 3:33 in the video, is Sonic doing a Super Peel Out charge?

I think so, yeah! It's probably what happens if you hold the run trigger while standing still. Faster than the spin dash but harder to control perhaps?

Honeycomb stage with music

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

More Windy Hill. This one provides a decent look at another path.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Lost World has either won or has been nominated for a 'best of E3' award.... or both.

I spotted this photo on Segas twitter.

BMmUas_CEAAwOBw.jpg

Take a look just to the right of Sonic, see that sticker? Various media outlets will sometimes put them on what they consider 'best in shows' or nominations for best in show. Well... that to me looks very much like destructoids logo.

Now... I don't know if it's an award or if it's the nomination notice.

They have however nominated it for the community award, but they've nominated almost everything at E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interview with... Derrek Peel? Apparently he's the brand manager for Lost World. He's no Ken Balough or Aaron Webber.

Edited by Blue Blood

Iizuka: Theres no relation to Sonic X-Treme.

Every single western brand manager:  This is totally like Sonic X-Treme.

I don't know the things I believe anymore.

Iizuka: Theres no relation to Sonic X-Treme.

Every single western brand manager:  This is totally like Sonic X-Treme.

I don't know the things I believe anymore.

Believe Iizuka on this one. None of the brand managers have even said there's an X-Treme connection, just that it's admittedly similar. 

Believe Iizuka on this one. None of the brand managers have even said there's an X-Treme connection, just that it's admittedly similar. 

But they're doing a very good job in coming just short of renaming the game Sonic X-Treme, in less than 24 hours, two brand managers have said Sonic X-Treme, the plot of the game is very similar to Sonic X-Treme, theres assets in the game that look similar to Sonic X-Treme, and the Lost World Booth has merch in it from Sonic X-Treme.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's probably a case of... 

"the fans say it's like this game they're excited about? let's repeat what the fans like and it'll make them like it more"

• Thumbs Up 3

Indigo knows what he's on about. There's no connection to Sonic X-Treme here. Mario Galaxy? Obviously. But X-Treme is just a coincidence that's sort of a given by looking like the Galaxy series. They can't really say too much about the game looking like that though cause it's not good form to admit you're copying your competitors.

Sooo this is what I got out this so far....

B>A = Homing attack

Double trigger = Spin dash

Right trigger w/o moving = Super peel out?

B>B = Double jump

B>X = Powerful kick attack

Unknown = Bounce

So that leaves the Y button and the ZR and ZL button.

Indigo knows what he's on about. There's no connection to Sonic X-Treme here. Mario Galaxy? Obviously. But X-Treme is just a coincidence that's sort of a given by looking like the Galaxy series. They can't really say too much about the game looking like that though cause it's not good form to admit you're copying your competitors.

Exactly this.  I think bringing up X-treme is SoA's way of dodging the question when it comes to mario galaxy comparisons.  The actual producer of the game claims X-treme was never brought up in development and that the team doesn't even know it exists.  I would listen to him.  

I think the Sonic X-Treme thing is also a "Sure,why not?" situation. What was it that was said about "Dreams of an Absolution" sounding like Green Hill? It was a coincidence but he "appreciated" the similarity"?

Maybe they just think it's cool and decided to run with it. It's certainly been fun for the fans. I wonder how the X-Treme creators feel?

I mentioned this in another thread about the X-Treme similarities. I honestly do think that Sonic Lost World was inspired by both X-treme and Galaxy. The reason why Iizuka denies it? Well I have two reasons.

The first one, Iizuka remembers X-Treme as that game he only heard about when they used the Night's engine and Yuji Naka was blowing up like a volcano. BUT a member involved with the development does know about it and used elements or at least took inspiration from it. They probably showed him the concept, liked it but honestly didn't know they came from X-Treme

Why do I say this? I have been able to talk to Iizuka during three times: One during Sonic Boom 12, the second time  during Video Games Live and the third time after the concert ended and he and Aaron were leaving the event.

The guy does not know his Sonic history or at least he knows his main history but not the "obscure points." Jun Senoue actually had to explain who Mighty and Ray were (which is strange because it's not like he hasn't talk about them at one point or another, especially during the Heroes era.) He doesn't know some of the music Jun Senoue sample for SA came from 3D Blast or if the game's isometric view was inspired by the unused idea from Sonic 3's development.

It's little stuff, but either he doesn't know or he honestly forgets (and I think he tends to do that a lot.)

The second reason, there's still bad blood from that period and for whatever reason he doesn't want to acknowledge the game. But of course SOA doesn't have a problem in doing it.

Edited by El Driver

Some breif gameplay of a alternate route of windy hill gameplay starts at 0:29

Edited by AceZX

Interview with Aaron Webber!

He goes into a bit of detail about the Nintendo exclusivity. 

• SEGA wanted to use the GamePad
  • Sonic has always done well on Nintendo
  • Makes most sense
  • SatSR, SatBK and Colours were already Nintendo exclusives
  • "Colours was phenomonal for SEGA". We know from sales that it did better than Gens.

3DS Windy Hill Footage

Edited by Blue Blood

All the videos of this game, give me the impression that this game is really quite hard to control. The camera is also really irritating. Every time Sonic moves, the camera follows him really closely and its hugely distracting. Also, I don't like the way the homing attack, causes the camera to stop in its tracks, wait for Sonic to kill all the enemies he's locked onto and then resume. Absolutely kills any and all sense of flow and movement.

I do agree with the homing attack camera stop thing. It's quite discomforting when Sonic goes and attacks the enemy that is JUST in the range of HA and camera just sits there and smokes one.

Ever since I first played Assassin's Creed, I always thought it would be nice to have a free-flowing Sonic game like that. I think 2 or 3 more games if they keep this Parkour style and perfect it, my wish will be granted.

Edit: Also, thanks for the Assassin's Creed experience, I get the feeling that I'll quickly get used to the controls...
I mean come on, Right Trigger to run = High Profile speed. No buttons = Low Profile speed.

Edited by sayi50

Lots of crappy videos are surfacing on YouTube now so I won't be posting them all, but this one is really good. You get to see different paths in action, wall running and a player that seems to have properly gotten to grips with the game.

Ah, so the alternate paths seem to be little more than just booster-tubes. Shame. Though this is just the first level so hopefully they'll step it up in the later levels. And it looks like this time they actually brought back those spiky logs from the original Green Hill. Nice to see them back.

I'm not exactly sold on those auto-running sections. It's cool to see one in Wind Hill during that loop, which is entirely skippable by the way, but basing an entire level off of it is just silly. I imagine it'll get old very fast. I can only hope that it's just one gimmick stage and there won't be more of them. 

Lots of crappy videos are surfacing on YouTube now so I won't be posting them all, but this one is really good. You get to see different paths in action, wall running and a player that seems to have properly gotten to grips with the game.

He died a few times, but he did pretty good.

Ah, so the new Wisp is called the Indigo Asteroid. Its Color Power sure is interesting...

Why not Indigo Rushsteroid?

• Thumbs Up 8