Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Where did it say this? Cause that's new for Sonic o__O

Not new. All 3D games were 60FPS up until Sonic 06. Unleashed abandoned it and Generations has it in the PC version.

The source was Rich from IGN who conducted the interview with Aaron. He said the build looked like it was closer to being 60 FPS while the 3DS version was 30.

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/343052196696436736

Hey, if its 60fps then good on Sonic Team. We need more of that. Fuck, I'd even be happy with something like 48fps as a medium if they can't acheive 60.

I‘m just waiting to hear from Carbo about how everything I said was objectively wrong. That statement got me interested, you know.

Edited by Palas

Well, all I can say is that I'm very pleased with both versions so far, I can't wait untill they come out. The only thing I'd say I didn't like was the 2D candy level. I like the visuals, but the level design doesn't excite me all that much, but everything else is absolutely amazing!

The Parkour button isn't really a replacement for Boosting anymore than Boosting was a replacement for rolling. Each of these things has significantly different functions that create a unique symbiotic relationship with the level design around them. But overall, I'm not really saying the instant acceleration is perfect so much as I don't see what is so egregiously wrong with it when taking the game as a whole at this point. It's basically theoretical preference at this point.

You are right, every one of them has a different function. But they also had their disadvantages. While the boost seemed overpowered, without levels built for it, the move was basically suicidal(but fuck that move). Spindash was sort of "slippery" so it took away bit of control, but that was remedied by jumping out of it.

I am not saying the parkour is bad. I'm saying that it would have felt better and more balanced without the instant acceleration. Like you said, there isn't something "egregiously" wrong with it. It won't ruin the game, but if I could choose, i wouldn't argue for it like you are doing now. I'll agree with those who don't like it, and still enjoy the game nonetheless. I imagine most of us would be fine with it if they were to take this feedback and tweak it?

Edited by Djawed

Exactly! And the point I was making was that it doesn't fit my preference in any way whatsoever, and regardless of the things it did that I like and think they should try keeping, I still feel really alienated and unhappy! tongue.png

The fact that the game features a lot of automation and lack of slopes doesn't help my liking, either. But I guess I'll cease the bitching about this game and just go on my own way now. Sorry for muddling up everyone's hype trains, guys.

Glad to see we have some mutual understanding for each other's thoughts. :3 But for the record, no one has to leave because they don't like how the game is turning out. So long as we can have a level-headed discussion is cool. My hype for the Parkour is not dependent upon everyone liking it, and I should hope the same is for others who are excited for the Wisps and the story-only appearances for the other characters despite my disappointment with those aspects. We can all discuss things like good people even if we disagree, so I hope you or anyone else doesn't leave. You gave some activity to this topic that was interesting beyond "holy fuck this is awesome." xD

I am not saying the parkour is bad. I'm saying that it would have felt better and more balanced without the instant acceleration. Like you said, there isn't something "egregiously" wrong with it. It won't ruin the game, but if I could choose, i wouldn't argue for it like you are doing now. I'll agree with those who don't like it, and still enjoy the game nonetheless. I imagine most of us would be fine with it if they were to take this feedback and tweak it?

Me arguing for it, as it were, is because I see no tangential benefit to having natural acceleration between the different run modes, because the effects it would have on the game as we know it now would be so minimal as to not have a huge impact on the quality of the game at the end of the day. I haven't read an argument here yet that convinces me that accelerating running versus instant running is a little more than aesthetic differences, so I have no reason to argue against what we have now anyway.

So I'm going to not bother catching up on the discussion and just post my thoughts on both versions of the game from what we saw

Wii-U:

-You can parkour up everything!

-Lots of alternate paths

-Cool music, not normal sonic-y fare but it fits the world well

-The spindash is actually back! Yay!

-Cool pose for finishing a level

-"Speed" levels separate from normal ones

-There being a bit more to combat then just homing attack spam

-Other characters getting time to shine in cutscenes  

Dislikes:

-Sonic looks so goddamn twitchy. Seriously, it looks like he turns way to sharply and accelerates way to goddamn quickly in his two modes. I'll wait until I play it to fully judge but right now it's worrying 

-Where's the flow? Seriously, I saw way to much stop and go. I hope that was just the way the guy was playing it.

Now for 3ds!

Likes (a lot of this will be copy-pasted from Wii-U):

-You can parkour up everything!

-"Speed tier" function seems to be implemented better in this version

-Cool music, not normal sonic-y fare but it fits the world well

-The spindash is actually back! Yay!

-There being a bit more to combat then just homing attack spam

-Elemental shields! Yay!

New wisp powerup (?) looks cool

-Other characters getting time to shine in cutscenes

-Had more flow then the Wii-U version. 

Dislikes:

-Looks twitchy, but not as twitchy as the Wii-U version

-Level design looks more linear then on Wii-U

-Desert Run act 2 has way too little flow and way to many puzzles and rooms where you have to collect animals to progress.

So yeah, overall I'm still hyped but there are some things I'm disappointed and worried about. Game still overall looks good though. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

As for the system overall... can‘t say I outright like it, but it will really depend on the level design (as always). So I don‘t think there‘s anything intrinsically wrong with what we‘ll have. I advocate classic-like gameplay because we all know it builds an essence that has been successful before and I see nearly infinite potential in it. But what the heck. They can and will do as they see fit. I‘d only say consistency is as important as ever. So even if I come to hate Losy World, I‘d like it if they kept the gameplay style and diversified it.

Me arguing for it, as it were, is because I see no tangential benefit to having natural acceleration between the different run modes, because the effects it would have on the game as we know it now would be so minimal as to not have a huge impact on the quality of the game at the end of the day. I haven't read an argument here yet that convinces me that accelerating running versus instant running is a little more than aesthetic differences, so I have no reason to argue against what we have now anyway.

I respect your strance nepenthe. I'm always nitpicky like this and i'm aware of that. And some may apreciate it or not. But I think little things like this can mean a lot to a game. Whether 1 way or the other is the better way is totally subjective however. I jsut read some people are happy with the instant accel as that's the part they liked about the boost. It's all good ^^

Am I the only one who didn't notice Sonic's "twitchiness"?

You most certainly are not, because I didn't either.  The controls look really solid to me.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

I‘m just waiting to hear from Carbo about how everything I said was objectively wrong. That statement got me interested, you know.

I didn't say everything you said was objectively wrong. I said that Big Rings are no more "integrated into the game play" than Red Rings are, except Big Rings are hidden behind walls you often don't see which makes them almost even less integrated. There is no other way to get that effect from Red Rings without placing them in multiple paths just to serve as an extra icing on the cake for people who like taking alternate paths. You never had to collect them, you could miss them entirely if you wished. In Colors, they practically end up serving the exact same function as in S3&K, except it had no bearing on the endgame, which makes S3&K in comparison look even worse by your argument.

Everything else you said, let's just agree to disagree.

• Thumbs Up 4

-looks over the majority of the replies-

God, you guys SUCK.  This game is charming as all fuck, and the gameplay looks more fun than I've had with Sonic since I was a (relative) youngin'.

It's like Colors and CD had a baby made out of pure Nintendonium.  I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just noticed that sonic doesn't get lives from 100 rings anymore. For the amount of rings scattered through the stages, that is a very good decision to compensate that. I am also glad sonic loses all his rings when he gets hit, and thank god they still fall on the ground.

I think ring placement can play a huge part on the game's difficulty. How frequent they are placed and how far apart can play a pretty big role in a stage's challenge and on the intensity of the player's experience. I hope it's something they are actually keeping in the back of their heads as they are designing the stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I am excited, and it looks like the dreamchild of sonic xtremes gameplay style

I just noticed that sonic doesn't get lives from 100 rings anymore. For the amount of rings scattered through the stages, that is a very good decision to compensate that. I am also glad sonic loses all his rings when he gets hit, and thank god they still fall on the ground.

I think ring placement can play a huge part on the game's difficulty. How frequent they are placed and how far apart can play a pretty big role in a stage's challenge and on the intensity of the player's experience. I hope it's something they are actually keeping in the back of their heads as they are designing the stages.

I'm actually sort of hoping it goes back to the Unleashed style of life obtaining, where you find little containers throughout the stage that increase the amount of lives you start with and the maximum number of lives you can have at a time as opposed to the amount of lives you currently have.  I always thought that was pretty intuitive and keeps me from ring-farming to get through harder parts.

Edited by Akito

I pretty much had a big, stupid grin on my face watching that gameplay footage. I guess I don't care for Sonic stopping on a dime, but...man, just...everything else looks...wow. Not even Generations has left me this immediately impressed. I...guess I can understand some of the problems people are having? I mean, I could see how the turning might be a little awkward, but I don't see it causing a problem for me. Really, it might just be the sort of thing you just get used to.

The level design, the parkour, everything...it just looks so cool. Kinda like the idea of the Wisps being controlled with the game pad, actually. Seems like it could give the gameplay a bit more variety. Other than that, I loved 'em in Colors and I'll probably love 'em here. But just...aside from that, it just seems like such an innovative, bold game to come out of the franchise. I'm seriously just in love.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm going to ignore all the arguments because, quite frankly, I don't have the patience to argument anymore (yeah, I'm new here but not new to forums).

All I'm going to say is that my level of hype is maximum. While I didn't like much of what I saw from the 3DS version, I certainly loved almost everything about the Wii U one. The parkour moves seems to be very well integrated in the game and that was(is?) my biggest worry.

About the controls, I think it will take some time to get used to but probably for the best. I guess that precision platforming will be much easier with this approach. 

And I hope to see a teaser with some more details on the storyline at E3.

Edited by ViniciusLC

For the record, I didn't notice any specific twitchiness or any irredeemable problems with the gameplay on first watch. The Windy Hill demonstration on both consoles was the best thing ever, as well as the honey level, because you know, speed, and honey. Every time Sonic did a little maneuver or ran along the walls (he can step around corners too, holy shit that is hilariously awesome) and it's what I'm looking forward to the most.

I didn't say everything you said was objectively wrong. I said that Big Rings are no more "integrated into the game play" than Red Rings are, except Big Rings are hidden behind walls you often don't see which makes them almost even less integrated. There is no other way to get that effect from Red Rings without placing them in multiple paths just to serve as an extra icing on the cake for people who like taking alternate paths. You never had to collect them, you could miss them entirely if you wished. In Colors, they practically end up serving the exact same function as in S3&K, except it had no bearing on the endgame, which makes S3&K in comparison look even worse by your argument.Everything else you said, let's just agree to disagree.
What‘s really important to me, when it comes to integration, is that you don‘t know how many Big Rings there are and you most likely don‘t need all of them, which makes exploration feel like much less of a completely detached task. From this perspective, I can‘t not see more integration in the Big ones. Has a lot to do with that Ambient vs. Mechanics thread I made in the Sonic Discussion board. But thanks for explaining your point. I see how you conclude that paths are better than small, nearly unaccessible rooms. In the end, I can agree to an extent.

What‘s really important to me, when it comes to integration, is that you don‘t know how many Big Rings there are and you most likely don‘t need all of them, which makes exploration feel like much less of a completely detached task. From this perspective, I can‘t not see more integration in the Big ones. Has a lot to do with that Ambient vs. Mechanics thread I made in the Sonic Discussion board. But thanks for explaining your point. I see how you conclude that paths are better than small, nearly unaccessible rooms. In the end, I can agree to an extent.

Fair enough, I can also agree with your elaboration to an extent as well.

Not new. All 3D games were 60FPS up until Sonic 06. Unleashed abandoned it and Generations has it in the PC version.

Sonic Adventure DC actually ran 30FPS, while the GC version had it 60fps unlocked.

Sonic Adventure 2 I think ran at 60FPS.

The multiplatform games ran at 30FPS on the PS2 while 60FPS on the Gamecube if I remember correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game looks very impressive and quite different then generations; the game reminds me a lot of Mario Galaxy and I like the fact the game is mixing all of the best elements in the series into one package rather than focus on just speed (Wisps, Crazy level designs, Multiple Paths, ect)

I surprised with the 3ds version, it looks very close to the Wii U version rather than being a gimped side scroller like Generations 3ds.