Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Also, I like how we joked about Bees and Honey comb levels featuring bees...and then we actually got a Honey comb level featuring bees.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, even if the phrase is pronounced wrong by 90% of the world, that still doesn't fix the level name problem.

I don't know, I think it's kind of clever, that is considering if Sonic Team actually knew this. P.S. "Just deserts" is pronounced the same as "just desserts" it's just that 90% of the world misspells the word.

Also, does the spin dash basically works like the boost or the SA spin dash? When are you going to take my homing spin dash idea Sonic team?!

Edited by El Driver

Should be Dessert Ruins, amirite?

2YgCs.gif

So this preview has taught us that there are at least 3 Acts/Stages (Zones?) per-world. I wonder if it's returning to the Sonic 1 formula of 3 Acts per level, or if it'll vary at all, possibly going up to 5-6 like Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Desert Ruins music a remix of Shamar? Sounds a lot like it.

@Solly -  There's also hidden exits that unlock more acts. Hmm.. Would this be Act 4's or would this be something like Act 1-2 and Act 2-2?

Edited by Autosaver

screenshot20130607at547.png
Would something along the lines of Dessert Desert/Desert Dessert be a bit more specific? I can imagine people lining up to play this game at E3 and being confused by suddenly playing Level Ate instead of Shifting Sand Land.

What's even more confusing is the weird-ass honeycomb forest level that has nothing to do with the desert or desserts.

Edited by Place

This is pretty much what I've been seeing everywhere else on the Internet and from my friends who had given up on Sonic either during the Dreamcast era or when Unleashed came out. >:

I still wonder how much or little involvement Nintendo has over this. Cause people who hasn't played a recent Sonic game or given up on Sonic years ago hear about the Nintendo/SEGA partnership then the game is good to them by default even though Sonic Team are the ones who is actually developing the title. Give credit where credit is due.

Edited by sonfan1984

Don't push down the shoulder buttons when you're trying to platform then. Not sure why he was trying to do the instant accel there.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still wonder how much or little involvement Nintendo has over this. Cause people who hasn't played a recent Sonic game or given up on Sonic years ago hear about the Nintendo/SEGA partnership then the game is good to them by default even though Sonic Team are the ones who is actually developing the title. Give credit where credit is due.

Well, the game was in development before SEGA even knew what the Wii U was according to the IGN article. I'm guessing that also means this is what the Colours team moved to after Colours' completion.

It is kind of noticeable how this instant accel parkour button screws up aaron twice in the 2D zone.

http://youtu.be/v7nweiUGh-g?t=8m7s

http://youtu.be/v7nweiUGh-g?t=9m27s

Don't take it the wrong way. Just some food for thought

I personally see that more as Aaron being silly.  Why try to run quickly in what's clearly a platforming based area with a step layout that focuses on precise jumping?  

So skimmed through a majority of the topic after watching those videos.

Noticed people overall have a lot of beefs with a lot of things, and personally I don't see too many of them as big deals. I mean that's just me of course, but honestly I think the game is looking super fantastic and I'm actually really pumped for this one. The 3DS version had some returning Dimps style things that I don't favor too much, but there looks like a bit that's fun as well, so right now I'm really leaning on the Wii U version, since I think that one is damn near perfect haha.

THE MUSIC...HOLY FUCK. The opening stage with that sweet sounding jolly break gave me feels, and the mid song of that labyrinth-esque 3DS Desert stage was pretty epic. As usual, extremely looking forward to the new music of both of these games. Not sure if they'll have the same music or not, but I'm loving what I hear so far.

Back to the gameplay though, I noticed the 3DS version has a lot of areas that seem to be disguises for loading. I noticed the large number of "big spring" jumps that'd awkwardly snap to Sonic in this samey flying pose for a bit, and then come back down in a complete new area. The Desert Ruins had a similar deal with all those warp pads. I really hope that all the stages aren't like this, since to me at least, felt pretty jarring on the flow of the game.

Lastly for now, I'm extremely liking the wide open feels, and I don't mean this by just scope either. Every time a 3D perspective area pops up, it feels like a breath of fresh air, finding myself going "oh what's over there?! And there! Let's see what that goes to!" That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a Sonic level design. There isn't just a few obvious shortcuts and hidden paths branching from the main, it's more over I got a fancy bag full of decisions that I can mix and match whenever for the most part. It feels really open and I really like that.

So I'm stoked for this one. My only concern is something Nepenthe said which is difficulty curving. I kinda blasted through Colors in a weekend and haven't played it since, since I 100%'d it and didn't really have a reason to go back. I'd love for this game to get a bit harder as it goes, and give me tons of incentive to wanna replay it over and over again. So the last things I'm really wanting with this game is challenge and possibly a really ambitious unlocking goals with a really special nice payoff reward.

Other than that, I just wanna try my hands at a demo now~

• Thumbs Up 9

This is looking pretty great so far.

It's really cool how they're trying to make their own thing for this game that is entirely separated from other 3D Sonic formulas, while still not attempting to translate the classic gameplay into 3D 1:1 just because. I'm liking how these levels play out and it seems like it'll be the most engaging 3D Sonic game to date.

I'm even liking how the 3DS version is shaping up. It seems they've gotten the controls down pat; I'm hoping it turns out to be the best handheld Sonic in a long time.

• Thumbs Up 4

The rings are sprites probably to cut back on poly counts. I think those polygons should go to better use, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

The wall jumping reminds me of Heroes where you had to constantly jump from one side to the other to get to the next area.

1vfnd_zps88a20832.gif

SA3 IS HERE

But seriously, I'm hyped. The gameplay for both versions looked fairly vast and open, and the fact that the game runs at 60fps makes it even better.

Edited by Speedster
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think my major complaint about the 3DS version is that it looks too zoomed-in on the 2D stages. I do like that projectile kick Sonic has, though. 

and the fact that the game runs at 60fps makes it even better.

Not to be "that guy" but I don't believe it was ever confirmed that the game runs at 60fps. It was just Rich's conclusion based on what he saw. And even if it was 60, has it been confirmed if the game was running on a devkit or not?

Edit: Not saying it won't be 60 either. I think it very well could be, and I'm not doubting Rich. Just saying I don't know if we can declare it a fact yet. 

Edited by Solly

I personally see that more as Aaron being silly. Why try to run quickly in what's clearly a platforming based area with a step layout that focuses on precise jumping?

hmm. Well u cant blame someone to wanna keep pressing the run button as thats naturally what u wanna be doing mostly in a sonic game. It is just too instant for my taste. Other games that have run buttons like rayman and mario do it a little bit better. In rayman it requires u to stand still for a few seconds while pressingthe runnig button to go instantly, but regularly it has a few "startup" frames before he reaches speed. Same goes for mario

Edit: spelling correction. Damn phone

Edited by Djawed

There are a lot of all of the previous games: loading level of the S4 and classic games, clear levels as in the classic games, cannons of S2, walking on the walls of ShTH, the free fall of the modern-games, shooting guns of Colors, numbers in level of Sonic Heroes (Bingo Highway), running from the SonicCD, and much more. Levels appear straightforward, but interesting. Challenge straight in level - awesome. Again, it will be necessary to think at the levels, collect secrets and actually try not to miss anything. Having just re-watched all 3 videos. I would like to express "not good moments": 1) Camera. A little to the right, a little to the left - it will change abruptly. And from the moment the Sonic jumping from one wall to the other, I have a little spin head. 2) Badniks different eras are next. For example, modern fly robot and a bee or a Motobag and the worm of Colors \Generations. 3) Name of levels. They do not fit in all levels. In Windy Hill only 2 wind mills, and the rest - it's Green Hill. Desert Ruins in all three cases, completely different. First it flying sweets and candy road, then broken trees and honeycomb, then a temple in the desert. 4) Linearity (Windy Hill does not count). It feels like the Desert Ruins - it 4-6 acts levels of Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I love is how the quick step is gone in favor of, well, good controls. Look at that shit. Even at high speed, Sonic looks like he controls like butter.

This could be a bad thing considering how twitchy it looks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This could be a bad thing considering how twitchy it looks. 

What does "twitchy" means after all?

What does "twitchy" means after all?

The way Sonic accelerates and turns. He looks like he accelerates way to fast and turns way to sharply without losing any speed. So, in short, he looks like if you just try to make smooth movements he'll "twitch" left and right. Hence, "Twitchy". I hope it still feels good to control when you're playing it but it has me worried...........

Edited by Chaos Warp