Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

Completely in love with the freedom and design of this. Visuals look stunning and the music sounds incredible. The new gameplay system looks like, once mastered, it can make you feel like a speedy platforming king. This zany and quirky take on everything is really enticing me and I just really want to try it out for myself. 

Edited by Symbotic

I like the 3DS version but wasn't impressed by the Wii U version to be honest. I hate how narrow the tube levels are in the WiiU edition of the game and much preferred the more wider looking level design of the 3DS version. I also thought the game looked like it controlled a lot better in the 3DS version. Yeah there were a few strange dimps-y things in there but I still found it more appealing to me anyway than the narrow, very kinda...linear looking WiiU game. There were alternate paths, sure, but I am wondering how much of that is really interactive as a lot of it looked very straight in terms of the direction you were moving on each. I think it was doing a better job of masking the linear pathways than the last few titles have though with the whole tube design, but in the end I didn't feel like it wasn't anything we really haven't gotten lately in terms of level design. At least the 3DS game looks like there is a bit more room to really roam around in and I really appreciated seeing that. I also had issues with the 2D segment on the WiiU version as well to be honest - it didn't look like much fun to play and seemed fairly straightforward too - whereas in the 3DS one the 2D segment was kind of clever in using the enemies to press switches and had a lot more to do than to just keep moving straight. I also like the visuals better on the 3DS because the art direction does differ slightly from its console counterpart and I have no idea if its because everything is low res, but the colours and the textures all feel more unified and 'full' and way more appealing to me than the very smooth and kinda lifeless looking HD game. I've had a problem with the art style on the game though since the first reveal, and none of the videos have really changed that for me.

I mean granted this is just basing off one playthrough of each, but I think I might end up getting the 3DS version after all in the end.

I do have to say the music is quite amazing too! Oh, and I do like the control scheme idea with the walk, run, spindash setup. Was weary of it at first, but I do like the idea of it.

Edited by Meow

Hai guy......

*Sees shit loads of gameplay*

tumblr_mc74nv8ia31rntmjwo1_500.gif

It's perfect. While I could care less for the music of windy hill, everything else seems perfect. I'll miss the insane speed we had in the previous 3 games (Unleashed-Generations). I can easily live with this. And DAT SPIN DASH!

I guess I have one problem which I hope will not be as big in the later levels - the automation looks like it hasn't improved much, which is even worse considering how nice the control scheme looks. I don't want to be spending half the level homing attacking and bouncing off springs with this new system.

• Thumbs Up 2

So there's probably going to be at least one water level in this game.

Since the Yellow Drill seems to be in the 3DS version at least and Sonic has the Colours double-jump back, d'you think we're likely to get the same infinite-jump swimming and 2D-only underwater sections as Colours had, or might we maybe get something new?

Also, what's up with the water in Windy Hill? It looks pretty shallow and not very threatening and there's some right at the beginning of the level, but I'm not sure why there'd be bridges if Sonic could just wade through it.

• Thumbs Up 2

what if the 3DS version has a pattern. 3D in Windy Hill, 2D in Desert Ruins, 3D in Forest, 2D in water, 3D in Ice, and 2D in Volcano

Edited by Team Sonic

Why don't the red rings rotate in the 3DS version? Looks ugly in Desert 2 when they're just static flat sprites.

Why don't the red rings rotate in the 3DS version? Looks ugly in Desert 2 when they're just static flat sprites.

Does it really matter. Dang there's a lot going on the and its a lot for it to render. dang it can also be a placeholder you never know

Every game is another step forward. It's early yet, but I'm already convinced that this is not the game we've been waiting for. It looks to me like by far the best Sonic game to date, but that doesn't make it the perfect Sonic game, it just makes it better than all the others. Don't get me wrong; to say it looks like it's gonna be worth playing is a gross understatement. It looks spectacular! But there are plenty more improvements to be made. Here's hoping the trend continues and every game from here on keeps us moving onwards and upwards! One step at a time...

Does it really matter. Dang there's a lot going on the and its a lot for it to render. dang it can also be a placeholder you never know

It's not that big of a deal but it looks ugly that one. I don't think it takes a lot for 8 sprites to cycle.

Man, that camera, I really don't like that camera.  I'm having a hard time finishing this video.  They've not given the camera any slack, it follows Sonic rigidly no matter what.  

Run button looks even more kludgy than I expected it to.  Now Sonic just moves like Megaman and you just hold a trigger to make him go fast.  The contorted worlds have also precluded, yes precluded any sort of slope physics.  "Up" is just always based on the normal of the surface you're on.  

Game pad use looks...  bad.  You can draw a line not really be able to tell what you're doing and then something happens.  

6:49... really that the level design you're going with?  

Just...  what are they doing?  I don't understand anymore.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Something worries me a little. What if the animals make a major issue with the game. Say you don't collect enough during one of the harder stages, will you still be able to advance through the game? Or is it just for collectible stuff?

Also I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere. But does anyone else think the animals and bad 6 are linked story wise?

Something worries me a little. What if the animals make a major issue with the game. Say you don't collect enough during one of the harder stages, will you still be able to advance through the game? Or is it just for collectible stuff?

They're just for collectibles... right? They're not the return of the Sun/Moon Medals, right?

Every game is another step forward. It's early yet, but I'm already convinced that this is not the game we've been waiting for. 

What is that game though?

Making video games about Sonic the Hedgehog.

Man, that camera, I really don't like that camera.  I'm having a hard time finishing this video.  They've not given the camera any slack, it follows Sonic rigidly no matter what.  

Run button looks even more kludgy than I expected it to.  Now Sonic just moves like Megaman and you just hold a trigger to make him go fast.  The contorted worlds have also precluded, yes precluded any sort of slope physics.  "Up" is just always based on the normal of the surface you're on.  

Game pad use looks...  bad.  You can draw a line not really be able to tell what you're doing and then something happens.  

6:49... really that the level design you're going with?  

I'm surprised you haven't given up the series already :P.

They're making a good Sonic game that you just happen to dislike. What else is there to understand? 

• Thumbs Up 2

They're making a good Sonic game that you just happen to dislike. What else is there to understand?

What else to understand is that this game no longer has any mechanics in common with the genesis original. The closest this game has is the spin dash which on its own isn't really useful.

And I just realized, Now when Sonic strolls through a loop, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

• Thumbs Up 2

What else to understand is that this game no longer has any mechanics in common with the genesis original. The closest this game has is the spin dash which on its own isn't really useful.

Hm, perhaps it's because of my waning interest in the Genesis titles, but I actually don't mind that. In fact, to be honest, I actually love that this game is its own thing, so to speak. 

I think this is the part where we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the game looks great; you think it doesn't. That's perfectly okay. No need to argue over what is basically personal preferences. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

what if the 3DS version has a pattern. 3D in Windy Hill, 2D in Desert Ruins, 3D in Forest, 2D in water, 3D in Ice, and 2D in Volcano

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a pattern between acts in both versions - say, 3D 2D mach - but I'd be surprised if they split up whole zones that way.

What if the levels play out in 3 different acts, with the 3D parkour system we seen in Windy Hill, Act 2 being a 2.5D level, and the third act being one of those speed stages? I certainly hope it doesn't play out that way, I want as little 2D gaming as possible, other than that I've liked everything I've seen so far, finally, SEGA have added parkour to Sonic! It's about time.

I shouldn't really be here as I promised myself to stay out of Lost World discussion/spoilers until release, some of you guys are making it mighty hard to do though...

Edited by Super Soniko

Upon watching the gameplay multiple times I've come to a conclusion.

I like it!

The gameplay actually looks pretty good, after I'd gotten over the dizziness of the first level and the dullness of the second one, I actually thought it looked great! I really hope that it plays as well as it looks, or I'll be disappointed.

I'm still sticking with my opinion that the Wisps are pointless.

• Thumbs Up 2

The jump dash wasn't shown. Interesting. I wonder if it has been removed? Or possibly the player simply avoided using it.

I shouldn't really be here as I promised myself to stay out of Lost World discussion/spoilers until release, some of you guys are making it mighty hard to do though...

The shame!

I think your idea is not out of the track, maybe it's something like that after all. First level 3D, second level 2.5D and third level mach-speed. I don't have a problem with that, but I know many people are tired of 2.5D. Though, I can agree with them, especially now with the dynamics of the parkour, 3D will be much more enjoyable and fun to play than 2D. Anyway, I liking what I've seeing so far. So who's buying me a U?

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1